- ✓ Best selection
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in San Sebastian
Best Hotels in San Sebastian
Hotel Obispo 16 rooms from $83San Sebastian (Hondarribia)
A charmingly traditional stone townhouse close to the beach. Simple rooms have wooden beamed ceilings, iron framed beds, and stone floors. Within striking distance of the best restaurants, the sea, and the nature park around. A good value spot for an active holiday.Views - Views over the river Bidasoa and over to France.Sailing - Sailing across the Bay of Biscay.Surfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Saiaz Getaria 17 rooms from $94San Sebastian (Getaria)
A charming hotel with great views. Traditional rooms and suites all elegant in style with four poster beds, exposed stone walls, attractive furnishings and pretty fabrics. Sea views from the terraces. A good value, family friendly spot with a peaceful ambience.Sights nearby - Situated in the historic centre of GetariaGreat walks - Walk the coastal path east to Zarautz.Views - Fantastic sea viewsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
Astoria7 102 rooms from $100San Sebastian (Donostia-San Sebastián)
A sleek contemporary hotel in the town centre and close to the beach. Large modern rooms and suites with all the mod cons. Restaurant, library, gym and meeting rooms. A stylish spot with easy access to the city's best restaurants.City StyleQuirky - The hotel is themed around cinema and the San Sebastian Film FestivalSailing - Can be booked nearby.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - I Escape
Iriarte Jauregia 19 rooms from $123San Sebastian
A stately country house surrounded by beautiful grounds and valleys. Gorgeous rooms and suites have parquet floors, rugs, fireplaces and elegant furniture. Terraces dotted around have excellent views and there is a fantastic restaurant. Romantic, gourmet, and family friendly.Views - Lovely views over the surrounding countrysideSights nearby - 25 mins from the centre of San SebastianLocal markets - Good for local colour.Romantic - Good for couples.
Hotel Villa Soro 25 rooms from $133San Sebastian (Donostia-San Sebastián)
A lovely country house close to the beach. Sophisticated rooms with elegant furniture and private terraces. Beautiful gardens and smart living areas. Walking distance to some fantastic restaurants. A lovely base to explore the city from.Sights nearby - Short walk from the old townGreat walks - Climb Monte Urgull.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel Maria Cristina 136 rooms from $180San Sebastian (Donostia)
A truly magnificent hotel with Belle Epoque splendour. Exquisitely decorated rooms and suites have romantic paintings, glamourous furniture and all the mod cons. Two fantastic restaurants, banquet rooms, terraces, and meeting areas. A magical spot.Chic - This is where the A listers stay during the San Sebastian Film FestivalLuxuryElegantFoodies
Iturregi 8 rooms from $181San Sebastian (Guipúzcua)
A gorgeous country house in a rural setting, but close to the beach. Sumptuous rooms and suites are beautifully furnished, spacious, and have enormous bathrooms. Lovely gardens, pool, and terraces. Driving distance to nearby restaurants and sights. A rather romantic choice near the sea.HoneymoonsLuxuryViews - Fabulous views of the Raton de GetariaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
About San Sebastian
San Sebastián is a city truly blessed. It has not one, but two, of the few really nice city beaches in Europe - Playa de la Concha, right near some of the city's major historical buildings, and Playa de Gros, where there's also great surfing. Our picks of the best places to stay in San Sebastian are well placed for access to either, but if you'd prefer a self catering apartment we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
It also has the wonderful culinary culture of the Basque country, a lively and beautiful old town, the Parte Vieja, and plenty of interesting local museums, markets and charming old buildings.
The swimming off Playa de la Concha is almost always safe, and there's plenty of sand to share between the thousands of tanned bodies. Playa de la Concha even has its own little isle, sitting neatly in the pretty harbour, just 700metres off shore. At low tide this has its own beach, and you can reach it aboard glass-bottomed boats which leave every half hour or so.
Playa de Gros is a bit more dangerous for swimmers, but that's what makes it a great surf beach, both for beginners and more experienced surfers.
For a good view of the whole town take the old funicular up Monte Igueldo and appreciate the Bahia de la Concha as a panorama. As well as the views you'll also find a slightly kitschy little theme park.
San Sebastián is also a stylish city, and it wouldn't get that way without its own collection of high end boutiques.
Famous for its food, San Sebastián has three Michelin star restaurants, but what they're really known for are their pintxos - Basque tapas. Like many of the best places to stay in San Sebastián, you can also find many of the best pintxos bars in Parte Vieja.
For a great central location
- If you want to be close to the beach and the centre of town, Astoria7 is one of the best places to stay in San Sebastián. Sleek and contemporary, this hotel is themed around the city's Film Festival, with rooms featuring stars of the silver screen, and from behind the camera.
- For something special, stay at the Hotel Maria Cristina, a magnificent Belle Epoque palace with 136 gorgeously decorated rooms and suites. Each room has glamorous furniture and great art on the walls, and there's two restaurants. It really is like staying in a palace, so if you're planning a honeymoon, this is ideal.
For those on a budget
The beach is free, many of the museums are free - and appreciating the architecture of the old town certainly is! - and many places serve a complimentary plate of pintxos when you order drinks, so despite its beauty and graceful manners, San Sebastián has a lot to offer those travelling on a more modest budget. It has a modestly priced bike hire scheme, so you can also get out and do a bit of exploring for not a lot of money. There are also some beautiful coastal walks.
- A charming, traditional townhouse/ 15th Century palace, close to the beach, Hotel Obispo is a simple, but rustically tasteful hotel. And with its 16 rooms starting from just £65 per night, it's also one of the best places to stay in San Sebastián if you're looking for great value. It really does look like a castle, and with views all the way to France you're really getting a lot for your money.
- Saiaz Getaria is slightly more expensive, with 17 rooms starting from £74 per night, but it's got great sized family rooms, and is a good option for families on a budget. You're actually a bit out of San Sebastián, in Getaria.
For country house style
If you want to explore more of the Basque country surrounding San Sebastian, maybe a country house hotel style property will suit you better?
- One of the best places to stay in San Sebastián if that's what you're looking for, the Hotel Villa Soro is still close to the beach, and some fantastic restaurants. But it also has the peaceful grounds and larger living spaces which make country house hotels such great options if you're looking for a more permanent base.
- Iturregi is another beautiful country house style hotel, if you want a more rural setting. As well as wonderful sea views there are also beautiful gardens and a carefully landscaped pool and terraces.
For an apartment
- If you feel that your needs are better suited to an apartment or holiday villa, then we suggest you visit our online partner, Booking.com, where you'll find a wide range for all tastes and budgets.