- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Basque Country, Spain
Search the best hotels in Basque Country, Spain
About Basque Country, Spain
All our Basque Country Collections:
- The Best Places to Stay in Bilbao
- The Best Places to Stay in San Sebastián
- The Best Places to Stay in Vitoria-Gasteiz
- Best places to stay in Getaria
- Best places to stay in Hondarribia
The Basque Country is different. The landscape is more dramatic than the rest of Spain: the topography more varied and the coastline up against the Atlantic is rocky in a spectacular kind of way. Its cuisine is also different. And well known by even those with only a passing interest in food. And of course the culture is different. Which comes, in part from the region traditionally having its own language. If you’re just dipping your toe into this region then the best places to stay in the Basque Country will probably be in Bilbao or San Sebastián, both known for their food and strong Basque culture. But if you’re really exploring the region - and it’s certainly a rewarding place for the curious to travel though - then you’ll find many of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in the Basque country in lovely rural spots or small towns. There are some beautiful converted farmhouses and castles in their list, and some great value offerings as well.
You might not have realised that Vitoria-Gasteiz is the capital of the Basque Country. It's a surprisingly modest city, as far as the outside world is concerned, but one with a truly wonderful old centre, the kind of pintxo (Basque tapas) bars and restaurants you'd expect from the capital of such a food-loving region, and an art gallery to rival Bilbao's. One of the charms of Vitoria-Gasteiz's old town is the fact that the medieval names of the narrow streets have been kept - and they pretty much describe the business which went on along each of them. The old town is where you'll find the famous Catedral de Santa Maria, which sticks out of the skyline like the highlight it is.
Most outsiders think Bilbao is the region’s capital, the 'urban phoenix' - a colourful phrase reflecting the city's rise from a decaying industrial city to cultural powerhouse - known for food, football and the Guggenheim. Bilbao isn't the prettiest of cities, but since the opening of the Guggenheim in 1997 several other architectural treasures have sprung up and lent the whole city a much more dramatic look. At the other end of the architectural scale is the Basilica de Begona - which sits like Sacre Coeur on a hill, the Catedral de Santiago, and the neatness of the Parque de Dona Casilda.
San Sebastián is the Basque Country’s other main city, and one blessed with two of the few really nice city beaches in Europe - Playa de la Concha, right near some of the city's major historical buildings, and Playa de Gros, where there's also great surfing. It also has the wonderful culinary culture of the Basque country, a lively and beautiful old town, the Parte Vieja, and plenty of interesting local museums, markets and charming old buildings.
Aside from the cities, Hondarribia on the French border is another great gastronomic centre, Getaria is known for its seafood, Guernica is a famous and culturally significant stop, Alava is known for its wines, grown in the rolling foothills of the Pyrenees, and Eleciego, especially is worth a visit, for Frank Gehry’s amazing architectural tribute to wine. And then of course there are the rocky peaks and lush valleys…
Our guide to the best places to stay in the Basque Country has something for all tastes and budgets whether you're looking for a cheap and cheerful B&B or no-holds-barred, five star luxury.
The Best Places to Stay in the Basque Country
For a Rustic Escape
There is so much more to the region than its major cities. Read on for our selection of the best truly rural places to stay in Spain's Basque Country.
- The Castillo de Arteaga is a beautifully converted 19th century castle with 13 gorgeous rooms featuring beamed ceilings, stone walls and wall murals. There’s also a superb restaurant and an extensive wine cellar. Peaceful and romantic.
- Iriarte Jauregia is a beautiful stately home inland from San Sebastián. The grounds are lovely, and you’re surrounded by picturesque valley views. Which you can enjoy from several sunny terraces. There are 19 rooms and suites, all with lovely original features, plus a gourmet restaurant.
- Hotel Ibarra is the perfect pick for those who want to get away from it all and switch off. Its fourteen individually designed rooms ard suites are relaxing havens come winter or summer.
- Urune Hotela and Aldori Landetxea are both rustic hideaways in the Urdaibai Nature Reserve.
- Etxegana is a glorious country retreat where you can enjoy mountain views, forest walks, horse riding and much more.
- Hotel Boutique Goiko Benta is about as off-grid as you can get. It's the ideal stop over if you're walking north Spain's pilgrimage route.
- Torre de Zumelzegi is another good choice for walkers wanting a stop over. It's just a bit nearer civilization!
This region is a mecca for foodies and it's fair to say that wherever you stay will be a good choice. But here's our pick of the best places to stay in Basque Country, Spain that have excelent restaurants on site.
- Hotel Viura is a contemporary design hotel in the heart of Rioja country. So as well as gourmet cuisine, you can expect delicous accompanying wines.
- Iriarte Jauregia is a gorgeous country house hotel, surrounded by beautiful countryside. Bailara restaurant offers top-end haute cuisine that showcases the best of the region.
- Hospederia de los Parajes is another pick in the Rioja wine country. It has two restaurants on site (both excellent), you just have to decide whether to be formal or informal....
- Eguren Ugarte is another fabulous property in wine country - its situated amid its own vines - and another with two excellent on site options - gastronomic journey one day, more traditional fare the next!
- Castillo de Arteaga enjoys a stunning location in the Urdaibai Nature Reserve. This historic property boasts just thirteen luxury rooms and a gourmet restaurant.
- For Michelin Star dining, don't miss the Marques de Riscal, a stunning creation from Frank Gehry, in Rioja country.
- The Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra is a wonderfully grand hotel sitting proudly overlooking the beach and San Sebastián’s La Concha Bay. There are 167 generously proportioned rooms in a traditional style, with private balconies and a fantastic restaurant known for its Basque cuisine.
On the Basque Country’s Coastline
Spain's northern coastline is a stunning sight, lashed by the Atlantic and full of pretty seaside towns and villages. Our favourite places to stay are ideal for those who like to be close to the sea.
- Iturregi, in Guipúzcua, just along the coast from San Sebastián, is a gorgeous country house hotel in a rural setting. There are eight spacious rooms and suites, which have been beautifully furnished and have enormous bathrooms, plus lovely gardens, a pool and terraces. Romantic, as well as being close to the sea.
- Zubieta is a charming, traditional, 18th century building in the seaside town of Lekeitio, with 23 characterful rooms complete with antique furnishings. There’s a great bar, complete with lovely original features and tapas in the evening.
- The Hotel Embarcadero is in the heart of the port town of Gexto, and has 27 rooms, all with wonderful views over the bay and the river. There’s also a terrace where you can enjoy traditional Basque food and drink.
- Saiaz Getaria is a charming hotel in the charming seaside town of Getaria. It has 17 rooms, some with breathtaking sea views and it is just steps from the beach.
- Hotel Obispo is located in the centre of Honarribia, literally just across the border from St Jean de Luz, in France's Basque region. It has sixteen traditional rooms and is both close to the beach and bars, cafes restaurants in town.
For value for money
You don't need deep pockets to enjoy a holiday here. We've found some of the best places to stay in Basque Country, Spain that you can book for as little as €70 per night.
- A charming, traditional townhouse/15th Century palace, close to the beach, Hotel Obispo is a simple, but rustically tasteful hotel close to San Sebastián. It really does look like a castle, and with views all the way to France you're really getting a lot for your 65-ish pounds per night.
- For a similar room rate you could stay in the Hotel Ibarra in the beautiful Salcedo Valley. There are 14 rooms in this rustic-chic villa, all with terracotta coloured walls, wooden floors and beautifully tiled bathrooms. There’s also a pretty breakfast terrace and lovely gardens.
- The Hotel Boutique Goiko Benta is a wonderful place for walkers, and it’s a popular spot for those on a pilgrimage through northern Spain. You’re just two minutes from the Ignatian Way.
- Hotel Araba is a cheap'n'chic option in Vitoria-Gasteiz, the region's capital. Twenty contemporary rooms and a long established restaurant make this a good choice. And doubles start from around €75 per night.
- Torre de Zumeltzegi is a beautifully converted 13th century tower house in the rural town of Onati. Rooms are rustic-chic and prices start from €108 per night.
- Aldori Landetxea offers stylish contemporary accommodation at knock down prices. It's a bit off the beaten track, but is ideal for families and prices start at €70 per night,
- For a cheap city break, Astoria 7 is excellent value. You're right in the centre of San Sebastian and doubles can be had for as little as €74 per night.
- Another great find in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Casa de Los Arquillos also works for those on a budget. Stunning contemporary rooms and lofts, and prices from just €80.
- Zubieta, in the seaside town of Lekeitkio offers charming accommodation that is full of character, all from just €85 per night.
- Saiaz Getaria represents excellent value on the coast. Doubles from €88.
- And finally for unbeatable five star luxury at bargain basement prices, you can bag a room in Bilbao's Hotel Carlton for only €99 per night.
Spain's Basque Country is a wonderful family friendly destination, there's simply so much to see and do for all ages from culture and food in the main citiies to surfing on the coast or hiking or horse-riding for outdoorsy types.
- Saiaz Getaria in Getaria is ideal for families on a budget, with good family sized rooms and a great location just outside San Sebastián.
- The Urune Hotela is a gorgeous converted farmhouse outside Guernica, with eight rooms and family suites. You’re surrounded by green, but you’re also close to the beach and there are lots of day trips you could take from here.
- The Aldori Landetxea is in the Urdalbai Nature Reserve, and offers plenty of space, plus six bedrooms and a communal living area complete with board games.
- Zubieta is another good family choice. They have family rooms for four and triple rooms too.
- Torre de Zumeltzegi is gorgeous 13th century tower house turned rustic chic hotel in the old town of Onati. There's a good range of accommodation for families from connecting rooms to suites which sleep four. And there's loads to do in the area for outdoorsy folk.
- Palacio Urgoiti is a great choice for families who want to be near Bilbao, but not stay in the city. It's got a good range of family friendly rooms and fabulous onsite faciilities including pitch and putt course and swimming pool.
- Finally how about the Hotel Obispo, whose family rooms sleep up to four? It's very close to San Sebastian airport and is ideally located for both beach and culture.
- If you’re in Bilabo to see the Guggenheim, stay at the the Miro Hotel, which is just opposite it, and right by the river. Sleek and modern with plenty of glass, this hotel is more than just a cookie-cutter modern hotel, it's got its own feel to it - as well as having all the mod. cons. you can imagine and fantastic views. It is also great value.
- The Gran Hotel Domine is also close to the Guggenheim, and it borrows some of the museum's cache of cool by having its different areas designed according to different artistic eras. So you have the Bauhaus bit, the Sixties section and the 90s minimalist area.
- Or, if you prefer your hotels elegant and traditional, the Hotel Carlton, with its beautiful facade and traditional charms is for you.
For San Sebastián
- For something special in San Sebastián, stay at the Hotel Maria Cristina, a magnificent Belle Epoque palace with 136 gorgeously decorated rooms and suites. Each room has glamorous furniture and great art on the walls, and there's two restaurants. It really is like staying in a palace.
- The Hotel Villa Soro is close to the beach, and some fantastic restaurants, but it also has the peaceful grounds, sophisticated rooms and larger living spaces of a country house hotel. Yet you're just a short stroll from the old town.
- San Sebastián’s Astoria7 is a sleek and contemporary hotel themed around the city’s Film Festival, with rooms featuring stars of the silver screen, and from behind the camera.
- Right on the beach is the Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra. One of San Sebastian's original hotels, it is as good as ever.
- La Casa de los Arquillos is an eight room hotel with a B&B vibe and chic, minimalist decor. Beautifully lit with natural light, this is a great base for the attractions, and restaurants of Vitoria-Gasteiz - you're right by the cathedral.
- The Hotel Araba is a sophisticated, 20 room hotel with chic, simple decor and floor to ceiling windows. There’s a very good restaurant specialising in Basque cuisine and you’re close to the attractions of Vitoria-Gasteiz.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our onine booking partner, booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Bilbao or Biarritz. The smaller San Sebastian airport has connections to other major Spanish cities including Madrid and Barcelona.
- Best time to visit - The Basque country is a year round destination, but obviously if you want warm, beach weather come betweeen June and September when temperatures average around the mid twenties.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in the Basque Country for you?
Best Hotels in Basque Country, Spain
Aldori Landetxea 6 rooms from $73BI, Basque Country, Spain
In the Urdaibai Reserve, this six bedroom house offers artistically decorated rooms with stone walls, wooden beams, funky art and large terraces. A chill out area with wifi, board games and a TV. Rooms have central heating and there are fireplaces as well. Chic, cosy and comfortable.Value chic - With stylish contemporary rooms from as little as €70 per night (they go up to €80 in high season), it's excellent value.Families - Plenty of space to run around, gardens, boardgames and extra beds accommodate children.Back to Nature - Located in the stunning biological reserve, surrounded by forests and nature.Birdwatching - Set in the Biospehere Reserve of Urdaibai, there are lots of birds in the area.
Astoria7 102 rooms from $77San Sebastian (Donostia-San Sebastián)
A sleek contemporary hotel in the town centre and close to the beach. Large modern rooms and suites with all the mod cons. Restaurant, library, gym and meeting rooms. A stylish spot with easy access to the city's best restaurants.Value chic - Sleek contemporary rooms and suites with prices from as little as €74 per night.Quirky - The hotel is themed around cinema and the San Sebastian Film FestivalSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Ibarra 14 rooms from $77Mimetiz, Basque Country, Spain
Rustic-chic villa in Salcedo valley. Gorgeous guestrooms have terracotta coloured walls, wooden floors and beautifully tiled bathrooms. Enjoy breakfast on the pretty terrace or in the gardens. Cosy lounge with big fireplaces and plenty of art to enjoy. Ideal for a slow-paced break in the region.Local exploring - Fantastic sights and adventures to be had close to this peaceful hotel - from Guggenheim in Bilbao to country horse ridesSights nearby - Pozalagua caves in the rural vales of Karrantza are 20 minutes away, or you're just 15 mins from BilbaoGreat walks - There area loads of paths to choose from and the Santiago Way passes right by the propertyViews - All the rooms boast stunning views over the surrounding countryside.
Hotel Araba 20 rooms from $78Vitoria-Gasteiz
A sophisticated and grown up hotel with good links to the city centre. The chic simple rooms feature crisp white linen, floor to ceiling windows, parquet flooring and contemporary bathrooms. The long-standing restaurant serves exemplary regional cuisine. An ideal base for a city break.City Style - A chic modern hotel complete with contemporary rooms, excellent restaurant and within walking distance of the city centre.Value chic - With smart accommodation starting from as little as €72 per night, it's excellent value for money.Local exploring - An excellent base for exploring both Vitoria-Gasteiz and the surrounding Basque countrysideSights nearby - Visit the Vitoria Cathedral and wander around the historic centre.
Hotel Boutique Goiko Benta 10 rooms from $80Oñate, Basque Country, Spain
For walkers following northern Spain's newest pilgrimage route, Hotel Boutique Goiko Benta is a wonderful place to rest weary limbs. For less energetic car tourers, it's an equally pleasant halt.Local exploring - For those who want to explore the Basque countryside, it's an ideal baseGreat walks - Wonderful walking on the Ignatian Way trail.Sights nearby - Visit the Arantzazu Sanctuary two minutes walk away.Views - Great views from hotel
La Casa de los Arquillos 16 rooms from $84Vitoria-Gasteiz
A fantastic little hotel with a B&B vibe. A traditional building in the Vitoria-Gasteiz's old town with just eight minimalist chic rooms, a further eight lofts, lots of natural light, and all the mod cons. Excellent value and right next to all the attractions and best restaurants.Local exploring - An excellent base for a break in Vitoria-Gasteiz or exploring the wider are including the Rioja wineriesValue chic - Beautifully chic rooms and lofts with prices from as little as €80 per night.Sights nearby - The Cathedral of Santa Maria and Florida Park.Restrictions on children - Over 15s onlyRecommended by - Sawdays
Zubieta 23 rooms from $89Lekeitio, Basque Country, Spain
A charming traditional 18th century building, in the seaside town of Lekeitio. The characterful rooms are individually appointed with ornate beds and antique furnishings. The snug bar features original beaming and is a great place to enjoy a beer and some tapas in the evening. An enchanting spot.Local exploring - A lovely hotel, perfect for exploring the beautiful surrounding Basque coastline, only five minutes walk from the beach..Cycling - The hotel is geared up for all cyclists and have plenty of onsite facilities from bike storage to rentalLocal markets - Get up early and head to the local markets of Lekeitio to pick up some regional treats.Sailing - An ideal port of call for a sailing trip around the Basque coast.
Saiaz Getaria 17 rooms from $92Getaria
A charming hotel with great views. Traditional rooms and suites all elegant in style, some with four poster beds, exposed stone walls, attractive furnishings and pretty fabrics. Sea views from the terraces. A good value, family friendly spot with a peaceful ambience.Local exploring - The medieval port town of Getaria makes an ideal base for exploring Spain's Basque Country.Sights nearby - Situated in the historic centre of GetariaGreat walks - Walk the coastal path east to Zarautz.Views - Fantastic sea viewsRecommended by - I Escape
Urune Hotela 8 rooms from $94Muxika, Basque Country, Spain
A gorgeous farmhouse hotel with contemporary chic rooms, wonderful views, and delicious food. Lots of greenery, family suites, and easy access to beaches, the nature reserve, and pretty neighbouring villages. A great value, family friendly spot with lots to do on the doorstep.Value chic - A gorgeous period farmhouse with surprisingly contemporary interiors from only €90 per nightViews - Superb views to Gernika-Lumo and the Urdaibai estuaryGreat walks - The surrounding area is wonderful for walkers of all abillities, with many paths from the door.Local markets - Guernica for Monday markets.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Hotel Carlton 142 rooms from $103Bilbao
A grand hotel in central Bilbao. Contemporary classic rooms and suites have seamless furnishings and all the mod cons. Traditional elegant living areas and restaurant. Meeting rooms and a gym. A stylish spot for tourists and business visitors.Value chic - For a five star hotel it offers great value. Doubles can be had for as little as €99 per night.Local exploring - A luxurious base from which to explore both Bilbao and the surrounding area.City Style - A luxury five star stay in the centre of Bilbao.Sights nearby - Situated bang in the centre of town. 10 minutes from the Guggenheim MuseumRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Viura 33 rooms from $103Eskuernaga, La Rioja
An unusual contemporary design hotel in the Rioja region. Sleek modern rooms and suites with all the mod cons and private balconies. Excellent restaurant, garden and pool, and plenty to explore in the region. A romantic country escape for wine lovers.Wine tasting - Located in the heart of Rioja wine country. There are regular tastings on site, plus visits can easily be arrangedArchitectural - Avant Garde architectureSwimming Pool - A public swimming pool attached to the property is open during summer months. Guests have free access.Views - Enjoy the views from the rooftop terrace with a glass of something coldRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape, Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel Obispo 16 rooms from $104Hondarribia
A charmingly traditional stone townhouse close to the beach. Simple rooms are all unique and feature wooden beamed ceilings, iron framed beds, and stone floors. Within striking distance of the best restaurants, the sea, and the nature park around. A good value spot for an active holiday.Local exploring - A charming spot from which to explore both French and Spanish Basque countryViews - Views over the river Bidasoa, Txingudi bay and over to France.Sailing - Sailing across the Bay of Biscay.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Torre de Zumeltzegi 12 rooms from $113Oñati, Basque Country, Spain
A beautifully restored 13th-century tower-house, in the Old Town of Oñati. The rustic-chic rooms boast original wooden beams, exposed stone walls and sweeping views of Spain's stunning Basque country. Feast on traditional Basque cuisine, and sip on local wines on the glass walled terrace.Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring the rich culture and history of the Basque country.Active Holiday - Walking and horse riding expeditions can be organised by the hotel.Views - Stunning views both from the glass walled gallery on the top floor of the tower and from the terraceSights nearby - Sanctuary of Arantzazu is only four miles away and well worth checking out.
Iriarte Jauregia 19 rooms from $120Bidania, Basque Country, Spain
A stately country house surrounded by beautiful grounds and valleys. Gorgeous rooms and suites have parquet floors, rugs, fireplaces and elegant furniture. Terraces dotted around have excellent views and there is a fantastic restaurant. Romantic, gourmet, and family friendly.Sights nearby - 25 mins from the centre of San Sebastian and within easy striking distance of many interesting towns and villagesViews - Lovely views over the surrounding countryside and Mount ErnioLocal markets - At Tolosa and OrdiziaRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, I Escape
Palacio Urgoiti 43 rooms from $124Mungia, Basque Country, Spain
A lovely 17th century palace in the Basque countryside, with stunning views in every direction. Spacious rooms and suites are traditional in style but with all mod cons. Great facilities include pitch & putt, spa, pool and restaurant specialising in Basque cuisine. Close to Bilbao and the beaches.Golf - A small, 9-hole pitch & putt course plus practice course and lessons for adults and childrenViews - Idyllic views over the surrounding countrysideHistoric - 17th century palace in the Basque countrysideSights nearby - 15 minutes from the centre of Bilbao and all its attractionsRecommended by - Tablet
Etxegana 18 rooms from $124Bizkaia, Basque Country, Spain
Charming country house hotel. Rooms have four poster beds, terracotta floors and antiques. Indoor pool, spa and jacuzzi. Excellent Basque cuisine in the white-linen tablecloth restaurant. Extensive leafy gardens. Pretty, quiet and romantic.Country Escape - Mountain views, forest walks, romantic rustic rooms, horse riding and spa to enjoySpa - The spa area can be booked by the hour for quiet private use of all the facilitiesSights nearby - San Juan chapel and in Artea, the “Eco Museo del Caserío Vasco”Swimming Pool - Small indoor pool with waterfall and jacuzzi areaRecommended by - Sawdays
Miro Hotel 50 rooms from $125Bilbao
A fabulous contemporary designer hotel opposite the Guggenheim and close to the river. Sleek modern rooms and enormous suites have all the mod cons and fantastic views. Excellent tapas restaurant, spa, gym, and meeting rooms. A super stylish choice.Sights nearby - 5 minutes walk from the historic city centre and literally across the road from the GuggenheimCity Style - A supremely stylish stay in the heart of buzzing BilbaoViews - Great views over Frank Gehry's masterpieceLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller, Tablet
Hotel Villa Soro 25 rooms from $130San Sebastian (Donostia-San Sebastián)
A lovely country house close to the beach. Sophisticated rooms with elegant furniture and private terraces. Beautiful gardens and smart living areas. Walking distance to some fantastic restaurants. A lovely base to explore the city from.Sights nearby - Short walk from the old townGreat walks - Climb Monte Urgull.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet, I Escape, CN Traveller, Small Luxury Hotels
Castillo el Collado 10 rooms from $130Alava, La Rioja
An enchanting castle hotel in the Basque countryside. Unique and elegant rooms are filled with exposed stone walls, antiques and canopy beds. Excellent regional cuisine, fragrant gardens and a lovely terrace with stunning views. A delightful choice for a weekend break.Local exploring - Historic Laguardia, with the stunning Church of Santa Maria de los Reyes, riding trips through vineyards and walks by lagoonsWine tasting - With nine vineyards in the vicinity, this is an unmissable spot for exploring the rich regionViews - Sierra de CantabriaFull of character
Hospederia de los parajes 18 rooms from $138Laguardia, La Rioja
Gorgeous historic property in Rioja wine country. Rooms have wooden beamed ceilings, stone walls, chandeliers and jacuzzi tubs. Superb spa with aromatherapy, wine and olive treatments. Outstanding Spanish cuisine in both restaurants, and atmospheric cellar with tasting menu. Unique and romantic.Local exploring - It's an ideal base for exploring Laguardia and its surrounding countryside of vineyards, medieval towns and villagesFoodies - Food pairing courses, wine tasting and hot air balloon excursions to see the vineyardsSights nearby - Palaces and prehistoric remains at the town of La Hoya, and wander the streets of medieval Laguardia.Spa - Spa with hammam, hot tub and wine therapies
Eguren Ugarte 21 rooms from $140Laguardia, La Rioja
This gorgeous hotel, set within a winery has a fabulous lookout tower and bedroom views across the stunning vineyards. Bedrooms are comfortable with lots of natural light and private balconies. The gourmet restaurant serves a range of traditional Spanish cuisines and great wines.Foodies - A great spot for foodies, where you can opt for a gastronomic meal one day and something more traditional the next.Country Escape - A stunning rural escape nestled in front of the Sierra de Cantabria Mountains with beautiful vineyard views.Views - Glorious views over the surrounding vineyardsSights nearby - The prehistoric settlement of La Hoya
Hotel Embarcadero 27 rooms from $148Getxo, Basque Country, Spain
In the heart of the port-town Getxo, this hotel has wondrous views over the bay from many room as its terrace, where you can while away days with traditional Basque food & drink. Only a short underground journey from Bilbao, and short walk from a World Heritage Site: Puente Colgante.Local exploring - A great base for exploring both Bilbao and the wider Basque Region.Riverside - Beautiful views over the river and towards the sea from the suitesSights nearby - Just a quick trip on the metro and you're in the centre of BilbaoSurfing - Suitable beaches nearby.
Gran Hotel Domine 145 rooms from $157Bilbao
A quirky Five Star hotel close to the Guggenheim and the river. Each area of the hotel is designed according to era, Bauhaus, the sixties, 90s minimalism. Rooms and suites are contemporary with balconies and all the mod cons. Fabulous Basque cuisine. A trendy choice.City Style - A smart contemporary luxurious hotel, ideal for those with an eye for design.Sights nearby - Situated opposite the Guggenheim Museum, right in the heart of Bilbao's Arts Quarter.Outstanding location - The only five star property located across the road from the GuggenheimQuirky - Each part of the hotel is designed by 20th century era.Recommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Castillo de Arteaga 13 rooms from $172Bizkaia,, Basque Country, Spain
Hotel in 19th century castle. Gorgeous rooms have stone walls, beamed ceilings, antiques and wall murals. Large gardens and terrace. Superb restaurant serving locally sourced regional dishes, and extensive wine cellar. Romantic, peaceful and luxurious.Hideaway - Surrounded by natural cliffs, valleys and estuaries, this hotel is perfect relaxing spot to return to after the fresh airBirdwatching - Situated within Urdaibai Nature ReserveGreat walks - Near the fishing port in ElantxobeSights nearby - Busturialdea and Lea-ArtibaiRecommended by - Fodors, Relais & Chateaux
Iturregi 8 rooms from $188Getaria (Guipúzcua)
A gorgeous country house in a rural setting, but close to the beach. Sumptuous rooms and suites are beautifully furnished, spacious, and have enormous bathrooms. Lovely gardens, pool, and terraces. Driving distance to nearby restaurants and sights. A rather romantic choice near the sea.Romantic Break - With only eight stunning rooms, a gorgeous pool, beautiful views, it's simply idyllicGreat walks - There are lots of walks for all abilities and the Camino de Santiago passes the propertyViews - Fabulous views of the Raton de GetariaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra 167 rooms from $197San Sebastian (Guipúzcoa)
A grand-hotel standing proud over La Concha Bay. Generously proportioned rooms are traditional in style with pretty french windows leading onto private balconies. Enjoy the famed Basque cuisine in the elegant restaurant. Just steps from the beach, it's ideal for an indulgent seaside escape.Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring both San Sebastian and Basque country further afield.Beach Life - Boasting an impressive location overlooking the picture perfect bay of La Concha.Great walks - Take a relaxing stroll along the boulevard and check out the sights and sounds of the Parte Vieja.Sights nearby - You're just five minutes walk from the old town
Hotel Maria Cristina 136 rooms from $211San Sebastian (Donostia)
A truly magnificent hotel with Belle Epoque splendour. Exquisitely decorated rooms and suites have romantic paintings, glamourous furniture and all the mod cons. Two fantastic restaurants, banquet rooms, terraces, and meeting areas. A magical spot.Romantic Break - Beautiful rooms, trendy cocktail bar, luxury and great service....woo your loved one in style!City Style - This is where the A listers stay during the San Sebastian Film FestivalFoodies - San Sebastian is the perfect destination for a gastronomic city break.Sights nearby - Located opposite the Victoria Eugenia Theatre
Hotel Marques de Riscal 43 rooms from $292Elciego, La Rioja
An unusual hotel built by the designer of the Guggenheim museum. Set amid its own vines, a large metallic building with fantastic food and an impressive spa. Sun lit rooms and suites in contemporary style with balconies and sophisticated furnishings. Wonderful views and plenty of exploring.Foodies - The restaurant holds one Michelin star and there is also a bistro for less formal diningWine tasting - Surrounded by the Riojan countryside there's plenty of tasting not just on site.Spa breaks - The huge spa offers a wide range of vinotherapy treatmentsArchitectural - Designed by Frank Gehry of Guggenheim Museum fameRecommended by - I Escape