- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in York
York’s impressive living heritage has made it one of the top three UK cities for visitors, so there’s plenty of choice when it comes to choosing the best places to stay in York. Most of our Guru’s highlights can be found close to the medieval heart of town, and this is definitely the best place to stay in York if you’re interested in England’s history.
Ancient and beautiful, York is a jewel in the crown of ‘historic England’ and all those who go searching for it. Much of the centre of town, within its 13th Century walls, is medieval, laid out along tiny narrow streets around York Minster, one of the world’s most beautiful Gothic cathedrals
As befits York’s Roman founding, its centre is entirely pedestrianised between 8am and 4pm, and it’s easy to walk between the main attractions. These include the Minster, the Jorvik Viking Centre - this was a major Viking trade centre, the York Castle Museum, the National Railway Museum, the Yorkshire Museum - where you’ll find some impressive Roman treasures, and the the city walls.
If you’re up for taking a guided walk or even a themed stroll, York is the place to do it as there are some really fascinating stories to be uncovered.
As well as York’s regular attractions, it plays host to numerous interesting annual festivals, including a Viking Festival, a Christmas Fair, arts festivals and food and drinks festivals.
If you're planning a vist and want to book one of the best places to stay in York, get organised and plan well ahead - it is a very popular and busy destination year round.
For great value
- The Bar Convent Guesthouse is an unusual and historic, but great value place to stay. It’s a real convent guesthouse, attached to a real convent, which is also one of England’s oldest, founded in 1686. You’re in the centre of town and with all the mod. cons.
For a city break
- The Grange Hotel is perfectly located in the historic centre of town, close to all the main sights. It’s also convenient for local restaurants etc., but you’ll not need to venture out, the hotel has two award winning offerings, as well as 36 stylish rooms.
- The Hotel Guru doesn’t usually include chains in its ‘best of’ lists, but the Best Western Dean Court Hotel is a great hotel in the heart of historic York with stylish, family-friendly rooms, each individually designed, and two excellent restaurants.
For a romantic weekend
- The Hotel du Vin & Bistro York is another chain hotel worthy of inclusion, it’s a boutique hotel with a business twist and colourful, quirky rooms and good wines.
- For something more unique, try Middlethorpe Hall & Spa, a National Trust property with 29 rooms. Originally built as a 17th Century manor house, this hotel is majestic, elegant and memorable and it’s got an award winning restaurant overlooking beautiful gardens.
Best Hotels in York
Bar Convent Guesthouse 19 rooms from $88York
Unusual guesthouse in an elegant living convent. Newly refurbished comfortable rooms, a baroque chapel, Victorian garden and glass roofed entrance hall make this an impressive building. A cafe serves meals until high tea. Best of all is staying amongst the sisters of the convent.Total relaxation - Unwind in this tranquil convent, enjoy afternoon tea in the walled garden and read up on the towns history in the library.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby York Minster, one of the largest Gothic cathedrals in Europe.Full of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Guy Fawkes Inn 13 rooms from $170York
An atmospheric pub-with-rooms in the heart of the city, opposite York Minster and walking distance to the sights. Darkly cosy, with gas-lit bar and dining-room, bedrooms are elegantly simple with well-worn antiques, some with four-poster beds, plus there's hearty food and real ales.Local exploring - An atmospheric hotel walking distance from many of the cities historical and cultural sights.Sights nearby - Visit York Minster, the largest Gothic Cathedral in Northern Europe.Sailing - Take a romantic boat trip on the River Ouse.Full of character
The Grange Hotel 36 rooms from $171York
Traditional but understated hotel in heart of the historical city of York. Country house elegance, two award-winning restaurants, stylish bedrooms. Comfort, luxury, attention to detail.Restaurant - Two award-winning restaurantsSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Sawdays
Dockside Guest Quarters 25 rooms from $148York
Seashore chic meets homely comforts; think white on white, plenty of natural light, fireplaces and an eclectic mix of nautical decorations. Porches and balconies face out onto unmatched views of southern Maine’s rocky shoreline and the Atlantic Ocean. Heaven on York Harbor!Cooking classes - Take a cooking class from the reknowned Stonewall Kitchen.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated.Outstanding locationSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Hotel du Vin & Bistro York 44 rooms from $227York
Located in the Mount area of York - Hotel du Vin has delightful, elegant bedrooms in a charming 19th Century, listed building. Lots of cosy, romantic spots to enjoy drinks and nibbles before venturing out to explore this fabulous city. Quirky and unique fine dining rooms for big celebrations.Foodies - Boasting one of York's most popular restaurantsGreat walks - Walk the City WallsSights nearby - Visit York Minster
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa 29 rooms from $244York
National Trust owned 17th century manor house on the outskirts of York. Majestic gardens, elegant interiors, luxury spa. Award-winning restaurant with garden views.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolSpaRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Michelin Travel