- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in United Kingdom
Best Hotels in the United Kingdom
- (1 hotels) Aldeburgh hotels
- (14 hotels) Argyll hotels
- (1 hotels) Aylesbury hotels
- (22 hotels) Bath hotels
- (1 hotels) Bedfordshire hotels
- (5 hotels) Belfast hotels
- (10 hotels) Berkshire hotels
- (2 hotels) Birmingham hotels
- (2 hotels) Blackpool hotels
- (2 hotels) Bournemouth hotels
- (1 hotels) Brecon hotels
- (13 hotels) Brighton hotels
- (3 hotels) Bristol hotels
- (4 hotels) Broadway hotels
- (7 hotels) Buckinghamshire hotels
- (2 hotels) Bude hotels
- (3 hotels) Builth Wells hotels
- (4 hotels) Burford hotels
- (3 hotels) Bury St Edmunds hotels
- (1 hotels) Buxton hotels
- (3 hotels) Cambridge hotels
- (5 hotels) Cambridgeshire hotels
- (4 hotels) Canterbury hotels
- (13 hotels) Channel Islands hotels
- (10 hotels) Cheltenham hotels
- (5 hotels) Cheshire hotels
- (4 hotels) Chester hotels
- (1 hotels) Chester-le-Street hotels
- (4 hotels) Chippenham hotels
- (2 hotels) Chipping Campden hotels
- (2 hotels) Cirencester hotels
- (36 hotels) Cornwall hotels
- (12 hotels) County Durham hotels
- (34 hotels) Cumbria hotels
- (7 hotels) Dartmoor hotels
- (3 hotels) Dedham hotels
- (9 hotels) Derbyshire hotels
- (1 hotels) Devizes hotels
- (38 hotels) Devon hotels
- (22 hotels) Dorset hotels
- (3 hotels) Dover hotels
- (2 hotels) Durham hotels
- (1 hotels) Ealing hotels
- (27 hotels) East Sussex hotels
- (1 hotels) Ely hotels
- (2 hotels) Fowey hotels
- (1 hotels) Gairloch hotels
- (33 hotels) Gloucestershire hotels
- (1 hotels) Gullane hotels
- (33 hotels) Hampshire hotels
- (3 hotels) Harrogate hotels
- (6 hotels) Hastings hotels
- (3 hotels) Helmsley hotels
- (2 hotels) Hereford hotels
- (2 hotels) Herefordshire hotels
- (2 hotels) Hertfordshire hotels
- (1 hotels) Ilfracombe hotels
- (1 hotels) Ipswich hotels
- (3 hotels) Isles of Scilly hotels
- (20 hotels) Kent hotels
- (1 hotels) King's Lynn hotels
- (11 hotels) Lancashire hotels
- (2 hotels) Lancaster hotels
- (2 hotels) Lavenham hotels
- (2 hotels) Leeds hotels
- (1 hotels) Leicestershire hotels
- (1 hotels) Lincoln hotels
- (4 hotels) Lincolnshire hotels
- (9 hotels) Liverpool hotels
- (103 hotels) London hotels
- (2 hotels) Lyme Regis hotels
- (8 hotels) Manchester hotels
- (4 hotels) Marazion hotels
- (1 hotels) Mousehole hotels
- (3 hotels) Newcastle hotels
- (2 hotels) Newmarket hotels
- (3 hotels) Newquay hotels
- (18 hotels) Norfolk hotels
- (1 hotels) Northamptonshire hotels
- (10 hotels) Northern Ireland hotels
- (17 hotels) Northumberland hotels
- (2 hotels) Norwich hotels
- (1 hotels) Nottingham hotels
- (2 hotels) Nottinghamshire hotels
- (4 hotels) Oxford hotels
- (13 hotels) Oxfordshire hotels
- (4 hotels) Padstow hotels
- (1 hotels) Penzance hotels
- (1 hotels) Pickering hotels
- (4 hotels) Reading hotels
- (3 hotels) Richmond hotels
- (1 hotels) Rock hotels
- (1 hotels) Ross on Wye hotels
- (2 hotels) Royal Tunbridge Wells hotels
- (2 hotels) Rutland hotels
- (3 hotels) Salcombe hotels
- (4 hotels) Sandwich hotels
- (103 hotels) Scotland hotels
- (1 hotels) Shaftesbury hotels
- (1 hotels) sheffield hotels
- (4 hotels) Shrewsbury hotels
- (10 hotels) Shropshire hotels
- (3 hotels) Skipton hotels
- (27 hotels) Somerset hotels
- (1 hotels) Southampton hotels
- (3 hotels) St Andrews hotels
- (4 hotels) St Mawes hotels
- (4 hotels) St. Ives hotels
- (1 hotels) Staffordshire hotels
- (2 hotels) Stamford hotels
- (3 hotels) Stirling hotels
- (3 hotels) Stratford upon Avon hotels
- (23 hotels) Suffolk and Essex hotels
- (8 hotels) Surrey hotels
- (2 hotels) Taunton hotels
- (43 hotels) The Cotswolds hotels
- (6 hotels) The Isle of Wight hotels
- (15 hotels) The Lake District hotels
- (1 hotels) Torquay hotels
- (55 hotels) Wales hotels
- (5 hotels) Warwickshire hotels
- (2 hotels) Wells hotels
- (21 hotels) West Sussex hotels
- (17 hotels) Wiltshire hotels
- (6 hotels) Winchester hotels
- (2 hotels) Woodbridge hotels
- (1 hotels) Woodstock hotels
- (12 hotels) Worcestershire hotels
- (2 hotels) Yarm hotels
- (2 hotels) Yeovil hotels
- (6 hotels) York hotels
- (45 hotels) Yorkshire hotels
Holland House 3 rooms from $66Orkney, Highlands & Islands
A charming B&B on Orkney. Just three elegant bedrooms, cosy sitting room with fireplace and DVDs, lovely garden, and plenty of activities around. An excellent choice for bird watchers, nature enthusiasts, and those on a budget.Value chicSights nearby - Kirkwall and Stromness are nearby, Skara Brae - a Neolithic Village offering a glimpse into Neolithic life.Fishing - The Harray Loch - one of the UK’s leading brown trout fishing waters.Views - Great views from hotel
Caddon View 8 rooms from $67Peeblesshire, Borders
A 19th century country guesthouse nestled in the village of Innerleithen. Eight individually designed rooms still retain many of their original features. Relax by the fireplace or enjoy the many outdoor pursuits. Only 30 miles from Edinburgh this is the ideal country bolt hole.Great walks - Caddon View is an excellent location for walks of all grades around Innerleithen from forest to hill walking over the Minch MoorFishing - The River Tweed is famous for its salmon fishing but it also has an excellent run of sea troutRomantic - Good for couples.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Qbic Hotel 171 rooms from $88London
Distinctive but simple, clean and modern hotel with quirky minimalist furnishings and good amenities. Appropriately arty spot from which to explore one of London's most cultured, multi-ethnic and inexpensively fashionable new areas.City - Well located in LondonSights nearby - All of London's highlights are easilly accessible. Close to the trendy Brick LaneLively - Hip and happening.Quirky - An experience!
Russells of Clapton 3 rooms from $102London
Tasteful townhouse B&B in hip East London. Contemporary design. Wooden floors, white washed walls, antique furniture. Friendly laid-backed service. Excellent breakfasts. Walking distance from Homerton station with good links to the rest of london. A real home away from home.City Style - A chic property in a trendy part of East London.Value chic - Excellent value for LondonLocal markets - Chatsworth Road market offers up excellent street food each Sunday and the famed Broadway Market on Saturdays.Great walks - Take a break from the city and wander through Hackney Marshes along the canal.
Hotel One Hundred 7 rooms from $61Cardiff
Hotel One Hundred is a family owned and managed bed and breakfast in Cardiff City Centre. The hotel has seven clean, simple, fully en-suite bedrooms and offer a continental breakfast each morning. Great value just a short walk from all of the shops and attractions of Cardiff city centre.Learning - Ideal for guests visiting Cardiff University, Cardiff Sixth Form College, Cardiff School of Engineering.Sights nearby - The Millennium Stadium, The National Museum Of WalesClose to nightlife - In close proximity to Cardiff city centreOther Activities - Caerphilly Castle, Cardiff Castle
Llwyndu Farmhouse 7 rooms from $66Gwynedd, North Wales
Overlooking Cardigan Bay and at the foot of the Rhinog Mountains, Llwyndu Farmhouse is a cosy private hotel for Bed & Breakfast. The farmhouse provides comfortable accommodation in rooms full of character and quirkiness. Surrounded by natural beauty, this is ideal for the enthusiastic walker.Sights nearby - Ardudwy, north from Barmouth is rich in prehistoric and early settlements. Investigate burial chambers, forts and huts.Trekking - The Rhinogydd mountains just behind the farmhouse.Great walks - Enjoy stunning sunsets across Cardigan Bay.Local markets - Explore the nearby town of Harlech.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The White Horse and Griffin 10 rooms from $80Whitby, Yorkshire
A 17th-century coaching inn, tucked beneath Whitby’s historic abbey, that creaks with character. Its ten quirkily shaped rooms mix original features with a cool, fresh look while the restaurant offers a bistro-style menu. Distinguished guests include the likes of Dickens and Captain James Cook.Fishing - The lively Whitby Harbour has seen fisherman come and go each day for centuries. Join in for a day.Local markets - Whitby Farmer's Market has a vibrant selection of local produce.Great walks - The North York Moors are all but on your doorstep.Sights nearby - Whitby Abbey is a historic must see.
The King's Head 6 rooms from $89Skipton, Yorkshire
Traditional Yorkshire pub provides excellent food and accommodation. Situated in the Yorkshire Dales, this award-winning pub boasts recently renovated rooms with picturesque views, a guest library and a delicious modern British menu. A welcoming countryside retreat.Bar - Voted one of Britain's Best Pubs by Sunday TimesGreat walks - Good for walkers.Local markets - Good for local colour.
nr Cheltenham, The Cotswolds
A contemporary-chic manor house set on 55 beautiful acres, in the Cotswold countryside. Trendy rooms mix the best of both worlds, with original sash windows, high ceilings and fireplaces mixed with sleek handmade modern furnishings and bold colour combos. A sophisticated, fun country escape.Spa - Wide range of treatments using Green & Spring products.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor heated pools.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - 55 acres of parkland surround the proerty with natural springs, lakes, and Victorian cascades.
The King's Arms 6 rooms from $95Didmarton, Gloucestershire
A traditional 17th century coaching inn situated in the heart of the Cotswolds. Stylish rooms with feature walls of George Stubbs paintings, antique furniture, four posters & cosy sheepskin rugs. Or cottages for groups or families. Great British pub food, real ale and excellent value too!Value chic - Stylish rooms which can be had for as little as £75 per night B&B.Local exploring - Ideal if you want to explore the wider Cotswolds.Sights nearby - A wide range of places to visit close by including Badminton House, Highgrove House and Westonbirt ArboretumFishing - Private tuition or guidance can be arranged
Hazelwood House 14 rooms from $76Kingsbridge, Devon
Quirky, rural country house with good organic food and a warm welcoming atmosphere, set in peaceful valley close to the South Devon coast. Individual rooms are bright and comfortable - some have majestic views. Come here to recharge the batteries and appreciate rural Devon.Great walks - Walking and hiking on nearby DartmoorSurfing - Lessons at BanthamFull of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.
ABode Exeter 53 rooms from $79Exeter, Devon
Centrally located in the heart of Exeter's beautiful Cathedral Yard. Rooms are cheerfully furnished - bright and contemporary. Some enjoy splendid views of the 12th century Gothic Cathedral. Food served at the restaurant is excellent, as the menu is supervised by Gidleigh's Michael Caines.Foodies - The hotel is home to Michael Caines Restaurant, serving unique British cuisine.Restaurant - Award winning food, supervised by Michael CainesSights nearby - Exeter Cathedral, Exeter's Underground Passages and Quay House Visitor Centre can all be visited.Recommended by - Frommers
Treverbyn House 3 rooms from $95Padstow, Cornwall
Under the same ownership for over 20 years, Treverbyn House is a well oiled machine. With just three rooms, each individually decorated with exposed wood floors, antique furnishings, fireplaces and impressive views. A famous Full English is served. The property is a short walk from Padstow Harbour.Surfing - Cornwall has the best surf beaches in the country. Harlyn Surf School caters for beginners and improvers.Local markets - Padstow Harbour, a traditional fishing town, is worth a wander.Sailing - Daily boat trips run from Padstow to Rock.Full of character
Artist Residence 11 rooms from $95Cornwall
Eclectic B&B. Unique rooms have mural works by local artists, flat screen TVs; en-suites have free standing tubs and eco-friendly products. Breakfast room-come-gallery has recycled furniture and plenty of art. Walking distance to buzzy cafes and pubs. Chic, colourful and authentic.Active Holiday - Don your wetsuit and hit the waves, followed by a blustery coastal walk, bike ride and back for a hearty nights sleepFoodies - Nearby cookery schools offer foraging courses, and the town is peppered with lovely organic meat and produce shopsSights nearby - Fairytale island castle of St Michael’s MountSurfing - At Sennen Cove where everything can be hired
About the United Kingdom
The United Kingdom is small in size, but grand in stature when it comes to history.In addition to historic monuments aplenty and green and pleasant lands, the UK has some truly dramatic scenery, and is littered with charming villages. Don't let the weather put you off! Yes, it can be a bit rainy. (And windy. And occasionally snowy.) But that is all the more reason to make sure you're staying at one of the best places to stay in the United Kingdom.You'll be reassured that when the heavens open you can nip back inside somewhere comfortable/luxurious/eclectic/grand/quirky.
Being an island, the UK has a lot of beach and is rich in places to stay with dramatic sea views. Cornwall, Devon, Wales and the West coast of Scotland are popular destinations for beach holidays. Whether you are looking for a family bucket and spade holiday, the thrills and spills of water sports, solitary walks or the drama and romance of big waves and bigger skies, there is a hotel to suit you.
The UK is flush with beautiful countryside in every corner of the land. From Perthshire to the Lake District to Yorkshire, the Cotswolds, Hampshire, Cornwall and even offshore, on islands such as the Isle of Wight, the Scilly Isles and the Scottish Hebrides.
For the best places to stay in the United Kingdom either a city break in London or Edinburgh, these cities will never disappoint and are rammed with great places to stay for every budget. But don’t overlook other British cities such as Bath, Newcastle and Oxford or pretty towns like Cheltenham.
If you already know which part of the UK you want to visit skip to our regional guides:
- The Best Places to Stay in London
- The Best Places to Stay in Edinburgh
- The Best Places to Stay in Devon
- The Best Places to Stay in Cornwall
- The Best Places to Stay in the Cotswolds
The Best Places to Stay in the United Kingdom for Historic Highlights
- One of the best-known hotels in London, Claridges is history itself. It's recently benefitted from a glamorous makeover, sympathetically carried out in a style befitting a grande dame.
- If you make it up to the Lakes District you may enjoy the old fashioned, Victorian gentility of the Grange Hotel, known for its ornate decor, fine dining and spa.
- Just a dash up from London, Oxford is a totally different world! The Randolph is an Oxford stalwart, and ideal for those who like a traditional feel full of old fashioned charm.
- Oxford's famous rival Cambridge is just as easy to get to, and another beautiful and historic old university town. If you stay in Cambridge stay at Paddocks House. Once the country house of Lord Byron's sister, this is a historic and romantic place to lay your head. The decor -and everything else here for that matter - is luxurious, with splendid copper baths forming the centrepiece of most of the 15 rooms. They take an age to fill, but don't worry, your personal butler will do it while you have a drink in the bar.
- Birthplace of Shakespeare, Stratford upon Avon is a great place for visitors to soak up Tudor history. And Ettington Park Hotel, a gloriously grand Neo-Gothic mansion turned country house hotel, beautiful on the outside and comfortable on the inside, is the perfect base for doing just that.
- If you're interested in literary figures you'll not want to miss Bath, birthplace of Jane Austen and home of both the Roman Baths and some of the most graceful Georgian architecture in the world. The well-known Royal Crescent hotel is hard to beat if you are planning a treat, situated right in the middle of one of the most jaw-droppingly impressive pieces of architecture in Britain.
The Best of this 'Green and Pleasant' Land
- Surrounded by the beauty of the Cotswolds, Calcot Manor Hotel is one of the best examples in the UK of a genuinely family-friendly hotel that also works for couples. Set in its own estate, the former farmhouse, with a courtyard of lime trees and old barns, is praised for the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Comfortable bedrooms, indoor pool and outdoor hot tub next to a roaring fire.
- Buckinghamshire, or 'leafy Bucks' as those who've fallen for this county's charms, call it, has within its boundaries both notable British treasures, like Bletchley Park and Stowe Gardens, and some spectacular countryside, including the chalk escapement of the Chiltern Hills. Grand, majestic and inviting, with its beautifully landscaped parks, Hartwell House is owned by the National Trust and run as a country house hotel.
- Cumbria's Lakes District is great for walking and relaxing. Sharrow Bay a luxury retreat with top notch cuisine and walking straight from the door. If you're looking for more luxury, try the Linthwaite House Hotel, overlooking Lake Windermere.
Treasures of the UK's Glorious Coastline
- In Cornwall the chic Driftwood Hotel is in a glorious setting with a terrace which feels as much Cote d’Azur as Cornwall.
- In Devon the Cary Arms is right on the beach and has an outdoor pizza oven.
- The Harbourmaster Hotel in Aberaeron, West Wales is as colourful inside as it is out.
- The Loch Melfort Hotel in Argyll on the West coast of Scotland is in a glorious position on Asknish Bay and next door to the National Trust Arduaine Gardens.