“Creggan's Inn certainly has an unparalleled setting with views over mountains and Loch. Of course this brings with it the sort of outdoor sports, like fishing, stalking, shooting, walking, sailing, that truly encapsulate the heart of the West coast. The Inn is charming with its country house style decoration throughout 14 delightful rooms; attractive fabrics, wooden beams, fireplaces, pretty wallpapers. Award-winning cuisine includes West coast delicacies like local venison, pan-seared scallops and Scotch beef. There's also a more informal bistro in case you're feeling a bit of a glutton! It's a charming spot and the perfect place to get cosy, explore the landscape, and taste the region. ”
Written by Clemmie Vandeleur
“Why do people love staying in your hotel?
• We have one of the best coastal views in Scotland, enjoyed from all our loch view rooms, our lounges, dining room and bar.
• Our 14 bedrooms have all been modernised with individual décor, new quality beds and furnishings.
• The atmosphere we create is friendly, relaxed, informal, attentive and a ‘wee bit west coast’.
• Hector, our rough coated Jack Russell is quite the star.
• Our kitchen is excellent and provides to both 2 AA rosette Loch Fyne dining room and our MacPhunns bistro.
• What a history! Fitzroy Maclean owned the hotel and was the inspiration for James Bond.
• Hand dived Loch Fyne scallops & langoustine feature as well as local venison , lamb and beef.
• Real ales from the local brewery and fine wines from Corney & Barrow with an extensive malt whisky range.
What is there to do in the area?
• The Cowal peninsula is truly an exceptional unexplored, remote yet accessible landscape.
• Wonderful walks, cycle routes and car excursions.
• Within 1 ¼ hours from Glasgow
• Benmore Botanical Gardens
• Inveraray Castle & Inveraray Jail
• Pucks Glen – a magical ravine walk
• Day trip to Isle of Bute & Mount Stuart
• Cruachan – the hollow mountain - ‘it’s like stepping into a James Bond set’.
• Day trip to Oban, Glen Coe & Loch Lomond
• Ardkinglas House & woodland garden – tallest tree in Britain
What kind of breakfast do you offer?
• We offer a full Scottish breakfast with a continental buffet
• Options include smoked haddock & poached egg, smoked salmon & scrambled eggs, porridge with a ‘wee nip’ or full Scottish breakfast.
Do you offer other meals? And can you recommend good places to eat out locally?
• Evening meals are served in the Loch Fyne dining room – 2 AA rosette table d’hote menu
• Lunches and evening meals are served in MacPhunns bistro - a la carte menu
• During the summer months we serve food all day
• An excellent lunchtime option is Loch Fyne Oyster Bar- at the head of the loch (9 miles)
Which are your most popular room types, and why?
• Our standard and superior loch view rooms have wonderful views and weather dependant can be truly exceptional.
What message would you like to give Hotel Guru readers?
• We get a big kick out of giving guests an excellent experience.
• We are family owned, with friendly local staff, serving great food, with tasteful décor and an awesome location.”