Search the best hotels in Gold Coast
About Gold Coast
If you don't mind your beaches backed by glittering high rises with a touch of Vegas sparkle, then the Gold Coast is for you. The best places to stay in the Gold Coast range in style in a similar way to the beach towns themselves. The glitziest are closest to the fun mecca of Surfers Paradise and here you can expect five-star luxury and all the trimmings that come with it. For something more stylish, boutique options radiate south into the lush green hills behind the coast.
There are 35 long, flat, golden beaches along this stretch of sunny coast, offering some of the best surfing in Australia for both beginners and experts alike. Some of the beaches, like those around Surfers Paradise, are backed by bars, clubs, cafes, hotels and theme parks, while those towards the southern end have more of a laid-back charm and significantly fewer parking maids in gold bikinis. Several big surf competitions are held here annually, so you might even catch the pros at work.
Behind the Gold Coast's perfect stretches of sand is a subtropical band of national parks, dotted with waterfalls, mountains and viewpoints with spectacular panoramas of the surrounding countryside. So, while most people are here for the beaches, there's actually a lot more to explore. Lamington National Park is famous for rainforests huddling in deep valleys, ripe for exploring, while the Springbrook National Park covers an ancient volcano.
Our pick of the best places to stay in the Gold Coast range from the great value to the truly OTT and we recommend booking well in advance, as hotels do get booked up fast.
For a chic beach break
- What could be chicer than a hotel designed by Italian fashion house Versace? The Palazzo Versace offers just that in the Main Beach area. This luxurious hotel has decor from the Versace home collection, a private marina, huge rooms and Australia's only water salon.
- QT Gold Coast is a jazzy hotel in Surfers Paradise where the decor is vibrant and retro. The sea-facing rooms have great ocean views - you're just a stone's throw from the beach - and the rooms on the other side of the hotel face the mountains.
For a relaxing retreat
- The Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast is, surprisingly, the Gold Coast's only five star hotel. A spacious, stylish retreat right on the beach with sea views and a great seafood buffet.
- Back from the beach, surrounded by greenery, you'll find Peppers Ruffles Lodge and Spa, a luxurious collection of suites and villas offering magnificent views over the ocean and Tambourine Mountain. There's an infinity pool, luxurious spa and several acres of garden to relax in.
- The Star is another good option for a relaxing break. This glamorous property is set on tiny Broadbeach Island, and it boasts smart contemporary rooms and suites plus an indulgent spa, outdoor pool and good range of bars and restaurants.
- Book the Royal Pines Resort if you prefer golf to surfing. Here you'll find a golf course and driving range, plus a range of other facilities including gym, spa and tennis courts.
- Another good pick for golfers is the Intercontinental Sanctuary Cove. Again there's a course on site, plus lagoon style pool, four restaurants and spa.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner booking.com.
- The Gold Coast has an airport, the Gold Coast Airport, at the southern end of the about 25kms outside Surfers Paradise. However, Brisbane Airport is larger and connected to a greater number of international destinations.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying on the Gold Coast and you want to see more of Queensland - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- People love to visit the Gold Coast during the summer, but it’s really, really hot and humid, and it can be quite rainy. If you prefer warm, sunny weather over sky-rocketing temperatures then the best time to visit is between April and May, which is also outside of the school holidays so relatively inexpensive.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Gold Coast
QT Gold Coast Gold Coast 297 rooms from £102Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolLively - Hip and happening.SpaSurfing - Suitable beaches nearby.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
This jazzy hotel has gone in for vibrant and retro decor, matching its lively central location in the heart of Surfers Paradise. With the beach a stone's throw away, sea-facing rooms have spectacular ocean views, whilst others face the mountains. Fantastic spa on the lower level. See More
InterContinental Sanctuary Cove Gold Coast (Hope Island) 243 rooms from £102Sights nearby - Gold coast theme parks such as Dreamworld and Warner Bros MovieworldViews - Coomera River marinaFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Royal Pines Resort Gold Coast (Benowa) 331 rooms from £124Swimming Pool - Kids areas and slidesSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast Gold Coast (Main Beach) 295 rooms from £137Swimming Pool - Indoor lap pool, outdoor heated pool and separate children's poolOn the beach - Direct beach accessSailing - Can be booked nearby.Spa
The Star Gold Coast (Broadbeach QLD 4218) 596 rooms from £147Local exploring - The Star is conveniently close to the terminus of the Gold Coast tram service which runs north to Surfers Paradise and beyondBeach Life - Set on the small Broadbeach Island, with a patrolled surf beach just under a mile (1 km) awaySpa breaks - With a luxurious fully-serviced spa, massage and beauty treatmentsOpulent - Reception is hung with giant silver chandeliers over a dramatic black-and-white carpet, with potted orchids adding opulence
Glamourous luxury hotel set on the tiny Broadbeach Island. Funky rooms are decorated with boldly patterned carpets, crisp white linen and plush headboards. Offering impeccable service, an indulgent spa and an outdoor pool. Find a choice of bars and restaurants and many beaches to explore nearby. See More
Palazzo Versace Gold Coast (Main Beach) 200 rooms from £212Sailing - The hotel has a private marinaSpa - Top notch Aurora SpaDesigner - Versace furnishingsOpulentRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors
If you're not au fait with Italian fashion house Versace, you will be after a stay in this luxe hotel where all the furnishings come from their home collection. With huge rooms and top amenities including Australia's only water salon, the result is a purely indulgent hotel experience. See More
Peppers Ruffles Lodge and Spa Gold Coast (Willow Vale) 12 rooms from £232Views - Stunning views out to sea from its perch in the Gold Coast HinterlandGreat walks - There is a one km walking track around the lodge plus longer trails in the Eucalyptus forest.Spa - Ruffles Day Spa offering a wide range of treatments.Swimming Pool - Outdoor infinity pool with poolside bar