- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Schladming
Schladming is a small town in the Austrian Alps which is now a very popular destination for winter sports. The best places to stay in Schladming are situated close to the lifts, for making the most of this alpine playground.
Originally a mining town in Styria, Schladming is situated in the heart of the Enns Valley and boasts panoramic views of the Dachstein mountains.
Skiing and wintersports are what most of us know the town for, and Planai is the large peak accessed directly from the village. From there another three mountains all link together to provide around 123 kilometres of piste with the majority of the slopes being geared towards intermediate skiers, although there are plenty of nursery and blue runs for beginners.
The resort is one of the best in Europe for snow boarders of all levels too - there's two board parks, two half-pipes and a boardcross trail.
Schladming has held World Cup events since 1973, most recently being the venue for the 2013 World Championships, and is a regular host on the annual circuit.
Aside from skiing, this is a beautiful place to be. During the summertime the village is filled with climbing, walking and biking enthusiasts. There is an impressive outdoor swimming complex and a gymnasium. Kayaking on the Enns river is also a summer favourite.
The town itself is more than just a holiday resort. There's a very pretty car-free centre where you'll find a host of historic buildings plus many good bars and restaurants.
What not to miss
- The fantastic winter sports. Schladming may not be the highest resort, but it has a great snow record and boasts runs to suit all abilities, plus a host of other activities including snow-shoeing and cross country trails.
- Mountain Biking - downhillers should not miss the hair-raising ride down from the top of Planai. It's certainly not for the faint-hearted!
- Alpine hiking - jump on the gondola and explore the stunning scenery. Hauser Kaibling is a good starting point for a range of walks for all abilities.
- Day trip to nearby Saltzburg (Mozart’s birthplace) - it's only an hour away.
Don't forget that if you're planning a visit and want to reserve one of the best places to stay in Schladming, you'll need to book well ahead. This is a very popular destination, not just during the winter months!
The best places to stay in Schladming
- Arx is a chic and contemporary hotel boasting gourmet cuisine - both experimental and traditional, accompanied by an excellent wine list. The rooms are simple yet stylish with private balconies looking over to the mountains. There is a sauna and spa with massage treatments available. Ski to the door!
For a self catering apartment
- If you've decided that a self catering proiperty would suit you better, check out the range with our online partner booking.com.
- Fly to Salzburg, around 90km north west of Schladming. Alternatively there is a good train service from Munich and other German and Austrian cities.
- Best time to visit - winter (December to April) for wintersports and summer (June to September) for hiking, biking and much more! During the summer months the average daily highs are around 17 degrees celcius, whereas in January and February the averages hover below or around freezing.
- If you decide to rent a car, we recommend our online partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Schladming
Arx 15 rooms from £193Schladming
Taking its food seriously, Arx hotel serves up both experimental and traditional Austrian dishes, with accompanied fine wines. Rooms are simple yet stylish, all with private balconies and mountain views. There is a welcoming spa with sauna. A chic, contemporary stay.Foodies - Boasting a gourmet restuarant that attracts diners from around Schladming.Skiing - The perfect ski break with ski-to-door access, ski passes and massage.Great walks - Rohrmoos is ideal for picturesque rambles or more exertive climbs.Views - Great views from hotel