Search the best hotels in Liege
Liege lies in the valley of the Meuse river near the Belgian borders with Holland and Germany. Mainly french speaking, it was the former industrial backbone of Wallonia and has a rich cultural and ecclesiastical heritage. The best places to stay in Liege are centrally located and ideal bases for exploring this fascinating city.
Liege was an independent ‘Prince Bishopric’ from 985 until 1794, and as such became a significant religious and artistic centre. There are many beautiful churches to visit - St. Martins dates from 682.
During more recent history, the city’s fortunes ebbed and flowed as a result of its strategic position. Once part of revolutionary France, then Dutch, it has been Belgian since 1830 and prospered through the steel industry. Liege suffered badly through the two world wars and its industrial base subsequently declined but there has been much recent regeneration. Liege is definitely a place on the up and well worth a visit.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- The Palace of the Prince Bishops of Liege - a vast complex dating from the 16th century.
- Liege Cathedral, featuring both 16th century and modern stained glass windows and a white marble Christ by Del Cour
- The Church of Saint Jacques. This beautiful medieval church in a flamboyant gothic style has stunning statues by Jean del Cour and twenty nine 14th century misericords.
- There are many interesting museums including MAMAS (modern and contemporary art) and Grand Curtius (a museum of archaeology and decorative arts) which is housed in a 17th century mansion on the banks of the Meuse.
- The Montagne de Bueran staircase (374 steps) which connects the centre of town to the citadel - not one for the faint-hearted!
- The night life around ‘Le Carre’ and ‘Place du Marche’ - there are lots of bars where you can sample the famous Belgian beers and a wide range of good restaurants.
- La Batte market on Sunday is Belgium's oldest and biggest. You'll discover a wide range of produce from local fruits, vegetables and cheeses to books, plants, clothes and much more!
This city is a popular destination for weekenders, so if you' re planning a short break and want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Liege, do your homework and book well ahead. Alternatively come midweek, when the hotels may be a little quieter.
For Good Value
- Hotel Hors Chateau is a charming hotel in the centre of the historic city which effortlessly blends the old with the new - modern art hangs in rooms with original wooden beams, The service is friendly and this is a great base from which to enjoy both the sights and nightlife.
For an apartment
- If you think that you'd prefer self catering accommodation, we recommend you check out the wide selection with our online partner, Booking.com.
- Liege sits at the crossroads of many main routes and its transport links are excellent. If you're flying in, you'll need to arrive in Brussels then take the train. If you prefer to travel by rail, Liege is served by fast trains from Paris, Brussels, Cologne and Amsterdam.
- Liege is a good year round destination. However the best weather is the summer months with average temperatures in the hgh teens celcius. Other good times (and busy times) to visit are during the Nuit des Coteaux (a festival when the city centre is transformed into a magical kingdom) in October or for the Christmas markets in December.
- If you wish to hire a car, we recommend you visit our partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Liege
Bienvenue au 31 Liege 1 rooms from £75
A family-run boutique property occupying a quiet spot in Liège just a short distance from the city centre. Newly renovated rooms are contemporary and chic with whitewashed walls offset by bright modern artworks. Sumptuous breakfasts are served and the hosts always provide a warm welcome.Local exploring - A tranquil base located close to the city centre and many of the major attractions.Sights nearby - Stop by the striking gothic St Paul's Cathedral.Full of character
The Street Lodge Liege 3 rooms from £83
A charming guesthouse well located in a quiet residential area yet with easy access to the city centre. A handful of individually styled rooms feature rich hues, plenty of light and contemporary furnishings. A quaint terrace is the ideal spot to unwind after a day exploring the city.Value chic - A smart city base offered at very reasonable rates.Local markets - Get a sense of the city's life at the Sunday morning market, La Batte.Great walks - Climb the scenic staircase of La Montagne de Bueren.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Palais des Princes Evêques.
Hotel Hors Chateau Liege 9 rooms from £83
Modern hotel in 18th century building. Guestrooms have modern art pieces, original wooden beams and new bathrooms. Hotel blends the old and new together, with a stylish staircase winding its way upstairs against original exposed brickwork. Good value and friendly service.Value chic - Excellent value, centrally located hotel to explore both the town and forest peripherySights nearby - Visit the beautiful St-Antoine and St-Gerard churches and St-Lambert CathedralGreat walks - Go trekking in the High Fens, 0.5km from hotelLocal markets - Hotel is 400m from market square
No 5 Liege 5 rooms from £101
A chic B&B set in a historic house in the heart of Liège. Five individually styled rooms are spacious and elegant with large windows, contemporary furnishings and luxurious bathrooms. A cosy lounge and large terrace provide the perfect spots for unwinding after a day spent exploring the city.Local exploring - Situated in the heart of the city with many of the main attractions within walking distance.Sights nearby - Visit the striking Collegiate Church of St. Bartholomew.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Traditional
Faubourg St Martin Liège, Belgium 5 rooms from £114
A contemporary and stylish hotel set in a beautifully renovated 16th-century building. Elegant rooms mix traditional and modern styles to great effect and the suites boast top of the range kitchenettes. Ideally positioned in the heart of the city making this a great spot for a city break.Local exploring - Located in the city centre close to the famous 'Square' district filled with eating and nightlife jointsSights nearby - Visit the spectacular Opéra Royal de Wallonie
Hotel Neuvice Liege 10 rooms from £131
A sleek contemporary hotel in the historical heart of Liège. Chic rooms are minimalist in style with monochrome hues, modern art and wooden floors. Indulgent breakfasts are served and many of the city's major attractions are within walking distance.Local exploring - A stylish base in the heart of historic Liège.Sights nearby - Admire the striking gothic architecture of St Paul's Cathedral.Great walks - Take a stroll through the scenic Coteaux de la Citadelle.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.