Search the best hotels in Cat Island
About Cat Island
It may be called Cat but this island is actually shaped more like a narrow boot, a bit like Italy, but much thinner and with a flat heel. It is, infact, named after the infamous pirate Arthur Catt (a friend of Blackbeard) who used to frequently make stops on the island's sandy shores. Long famed for its stunning beaches Cat Island also boasts The Bahamas' highest mountain, Mount Alvernia which stands at 206ft and is topped by one of the world's most scenic monasteries. The island is also known to have one of the best climates in The Bahamas due to its location near the Tropic of Cancer. The best places to stay on Cat Island are naturally then the small collection of beachfront hideaways ideal to escape to and just relax.
What not to miss
Aside from taking a quick trip up the mountain (which is well worth the effort to see the beautiful, hand-made hermitage), Cat Island's highlights are:
- The 'Boiling Hole' a clear lake with odd tidal conditions which cause strange burps and bubbles and lead to stories of this being the home of a sea monster! This is also a great place for seeing baby sharks and stingrays.
- Explore the underwater caves and channels starting at the Big Blue Hole.
- Spend lazy days on the island's eight-mile long Pink Sand Beach (as spectacular in reality as it sounds).
- Discover the island by foot along its picturesque nature trails running through miles of rolling hills.
The best places to stay in Cat Island are great for exploring and relaxing within this Caribean paradise!
The best places to stay on Cat Island
For Great Value
The Greenwood Beach Resort is a lush pretty beachfront hotel with 18 tropical style rooms and plenty of charm. Secluded, idyllic and great value, this resort also has a brilliant little restaurant serving local specialities and a friendly beach bar.
Orange Creek Inn is another beachfront spot which boasts tremendous ocean views and no-frills apartments from as little as $87 per night.
For a more upmarket stay
- Fernandez Bay Village offers gloriously characterful beachfront villas featuring stone walls, bamboo furniture and private patios. Plus, you can tuck into lovely cuisine from the restaurant. Top-drawer!
For an apartment or holiday villa
- If you think that you'd prefer a self-catering option, check out the range with our online partner, Booking.com.
- Cat Island has two airports - Arthur's Town (to the north of the island) and New Bight Airport. Sky Bahamas flies to both these destinations from Nassau.
- Cat Island enjoys warm year-round temperatures with the average daily high around 25-30 degrees celcius. However during the summer months you'll experience high humidity and increased rainfall - you can expect short sharp showers. Hurricane season officially runs from June to November.
- If wish to hire a car to get out and about exploring, visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Bahamas.
- Or look through our entire list of the the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Cat Island
Orange Creek Inn Cat Island, Bahamas 16 rooms from £70
No frills beachfront apartments with stunning views. Interiors are simple but provide kitchens and dining areas plus laundry facilities & an ice machine. Direct beach access, games room and grocery store. Superb value and very quiet.Beach Life - Quiet beach on the doorstep, lush bird-filled gardens, relaxed atmosphere and friendly serviceFishing - Hotel can arrange salt-water fishing tripsLocal markets - Local traditional straw marketGreat walks - Blue Hole and Port Royal Beach
Greenwood Beach Resort Bahamas 18 rooms from £101
Pretty beachfront hotel. Rooms are spread across the gardens, and interiors are decorated with princess-net beds, bamboo furniture and patios. Outdoor pool, direct beach access and games room. Restaurant serving local cuisine and beach front bar. Secluded, idyllic and good value.Hideaway - 8 miles of almost empty beach on the doorstep, low key atmosphere, hammocks and pool to cool offDiving - More than twelve miles of unlimited wall diving sites along the southern coast aloneSights nearby - Port Howe and Bains Town, only 10 to 30 minutes away from the resortKayaking - Complimentary hotel kayaksRecommended by - Fodors
Fernandez Bay Village Bahamas 18 rooms from £198
Charming beach front cottages. Interiors are full of character with stone walls, tiled floors and bamboo furniture, large private patios. Beach access, garden, popular tiki bar and good international cuisine from the restaurant. Family friendly, pretty and quiet.Families - Villas are ideal for families, with big modern kitchens, spacious living rooms, plenty of bedrooms and garden spaceFishing - The waters surrounding Cat Island are home to a variety of blue water game fish, including, but not limited to, Wahoo, Mahi MahiSailing - Thirteen foot Boston Whalers can be rented without a captain for exploring nearby beachesSights nearby - The legends surrounding the Blue Holes of Cat Island make them a curious attractionRecommended by - Fodors