Search the best hotels in Angers
On the western edge of the Loire valley and all its attractions the green city of Angers, the historic seat of the Dukes of Anjou, makes a great base for exploring the region. It’s also a lively little city with a largely pedestrianised old town topped by a rather impressive dark stone château with 17 watchtowers and great battlements. The best places to stay in Angers and surrounds include a number of wonderful old châteaux, now converted into charming little hotels.
British travellers may also be interested to hear that Angers is also the home of the Plantagenets.
The Château d’Angers was the actual seat of the Dukes of Anjou and the Plantagenets, but is today also known for its spectacular Apocalypse Tapestry which is 104metres long illustrating the Book of Revelation. Surrounding the château are the first of the city’s lovely gardens which were converted from a moat into pleasure and kitchen gardens during the Renaissance.
The city’s position, by the confluence of three major rivers, means that this town is verdant and there are some truly magical gardens in and around Angers. The city’s first botanical garden was built at the beginning of the 18th Century and there are now several, as well as several pleasure parks.
There are also a number of beautifully preserved, half-timbered houses in Angers, several of them in the streets around the château and the twin-spired cathedral - one of the first examples of the Angevin Gothic style of architecture. The city also has a number of more recently built architectural treasures, like the Blue House, considered an Art Deco masterpiece.
In addition there's an excellent fine arts museum, a local natural history museum and a museum displaying notable tapestries from the 19th and 20th Centuries. Angers is also the home of Cointreau, if you need inspiration for your after-explorations tipple in one of the Angers buzzing cafes.
What not to miss:
- Visit the impressive Château d’Angers and be sure to stop by and view the beautiful Apocalypse Tapestry.
- Stroll through the city's pristine botanical gardens.
- Wander the streets of the old-town and spot the quaint timer houses.
- Marvel at the Angevin Gothic twin-spired cathedral.
- Sample Angers' most famed produce, Cointreau.
The best places to stay in Angers and the surrounding area are always busy during the peak summer months, so if you want to ensure a room, get organised and book well ahead.
For excellent facilities
- The Château de Noirieux is a gorgeous Château hotel in a village just outside of Angers with 19 large, elegant rooms decorated with fine antiques and original details. There’s also a French restaurant and an outdoor pool and tennis courts surrounded by charming gardens.
For a luxury chateau
- Also just outside of town, this time close to the banks of the Loire, is the splendid 18th Century built Château de L'Epinay, now converted into a stylish five room hotel. There’s a spa and sauna a children’s playground and excellent French cuisine is served in the charming dining room.
For great value
- For great value near Angers try the Château de Cheman which also has just five bedrooms. This time in a 14th Century Château, with large rooms overlooking the garden and period furniture. There are vineyards within the grounds as well as an outdoor pool.
For a central location
- In the heart of Angers, the Hotel Du Mail is the ideal place to stay to explore the surrounding Loire Valley. All the rooms are bright & spacious and are traditionally furnished.
- 21 Foch is a contemporary boutique hotel in the heart of Angers. Light airy rooms, some with great city views, and funky feature walls. Superb regional dishes served at the restaurant.
For an apartment or villa
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to either Angers – Loire Airport (30 minutes), Nantes Atlantique Airport (20 minutes), Tours Val de Loire Airport (1.5 hours) or the international airports in Paris. By train, Angers station has numerous connections across France.
- Angers is a year-round destination with a consistently temperate climate however for the warmest weather travel in the summer months of June - August when temperatures average at 18°C.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Angers
- Widen your search to include all our recommendations in the Loire Valley.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Angers
Best Hotels in Angers
Hotel du Mail Angers 25 rooms from £67Local exploring - Walking distance from many attractions, bars, restaurants and cafesValue chic - Stylish French interiors at a great priceTraditional
In the heart of Angers, the Hotel Du Mail is the ideal place to stay to explore the surrounding Loire Valley. All the rooms are bright & spacious and are traditionally furnished. Enjoy breakfast at the Hotel before setting out to explore the region's many vineyards and architectural sights. See More
21 Foch Angers 14 rooms from £99Value chic - A contemporary hotel with large luxurious rooms at a very reasonable price.Sights nearby - Visit the beautiful Le château d’Angers.
A contemporary boutique hotel in the heart of Angers. Light airy rooms, some with great city views, and funky feature walls. Superb regional dishes served at the restaurant. Ideally placed within close proximity to many of the cities attractions. A stylish and well priced option. See More
Chateau de Cheman Angers (Blaison Gohier) 5 rooms from £100Country Escape - Set within vineyards and fragrant gardens, a small pool to cool off and abundance of wines to tasteSights nearby - Chateau de BrissacTraditionalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
14th century chateau hotel. Large rooms have views over the gardens, draped double beds, period furniture and some with balconies; apartment has kitchen and living area. Outdoor pool, vineyards and gardens. Sunny breakfast room. Peaceful and ideal for a wine tasting stop off. See More
Chateau de Noirieux Angers 19 rooms from £140Local exploring - Many sights nearby, both natural and man made. Don't miss the tapestries, vineyards trails or the gardens of Chateau VillandryRomantic Break - Stunning chateau, fireplaces, chandeliers. Lose yourselves in the garden maze or on walks along the LoireSights nearby - Chateau of Villandry; Chateau of Angers; Fontevraud AbbeyTraditionalRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Chateau de L'Epinay Angers (Saint Georges sur Loire) 5 rooms from £217Romantic Break - Steepled rooms with four poster beds, elegant dining room of gourmet French cuisine, and wine tasting tours availableFamilies - Outdoor pool and children's playground, with spa and sauna for adults. Plenty of family friendly sights close bySights nearby - Serrant Castle, Chateau d'AngersGreat walks - Villandry gardens