- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Clermont-Ferrand
Clermont Ferrand, in Central France, is capital of the Auvergne and one of the oldest cities in the country. The best places to stay in Clermont Ferrand are well situated for you to experience and explore the delights of this ancient place.
By Roman times the city was already significant, and it's famous as the place where Vercingetorix defeated Julius Caesar at the Battle of Gergovia. By the second century AD it supported a population of around 20,000. In the middle ages it was an episcopal city ruled by its bishop and was the starting point for the first Crusade. In 1120 the Counts of Auvergne established Montferrand and the two towns were autonomous until 1630 - and they still retain their distinct identities today. The twentieth century saw Clermont Ferrand become the headquarters for the Michelin company.
There is much to see (and do) in the area:
- The large bronze statue of Vercingetorix stands proudly in the Place de Jaude - which is the city centre and an interesting hub of quaint shops, cafes, restaurants, stores etc.
- The Cathedrale Notre Dame de l’Assumption is a striking black gothic edifice (it was constructed from local volcanic stone).
- The city is ringed by extinct volcanoes, the highest of these - Puy de Dome - has panoramic views and is popular with hikers and paragliders.
- Le musee Roger Quillot has an eclectic collection of art and artefacts.
- Enjoy strolling through the old town or relaxing in the public park, Jardin du Coq.
- There are film and music festivals for all tastes (Clermont Ferrand boasts that it's France's home of rock!).
- Or come in November and December for the atmospheric Christmas Market.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Clermont Ferrand is the perfect base for exploring this lesser known French city.
For Art Deco Style
- Le Radio is a chic radio themed hotel in the Chamaliere district and is very convenient for climbing the Puy de Dome or walking in the surrounding countryside, as well as exploring the city itself. The rooms are spacious with views to the hills, plus there's a gourmet restaurant specialising in regional cuisine.
Best Hotels in Clermont-Ferrand
Le Radio 25 rooms from £95Clermont-Ferrand (Curie)
Radio themed hotel dedicated to the Art Deco Style. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with views out over surrounding hills. Don't miss out on Le Radio's restaurant, which is well renowned for its delicious regional cooking. Perfectly set up for business meetings and seminar weekends.Local exploring - Explore the beautiful scenery of the surrounding Puy-de-Dôme area.Business meetings - Hotel has created a personalised programme for business meetings.Great walks - Great walk up to the Puy-de-Dôme summit with stunning views at the top.