Search the best hotels in Giverny
A Mecca for art-lovers and artists alike, Giverny was once the home of impressionist painter Claude Monet and it attracts throngs of tourists every year. In 2010 the Monet Foundation had 530,000 visitors alone and during the summer months, gangs of Parisian tour buses descend upon this idyllic little village in northern France, upsetting the quiet lull. Peaceful and picturesque houses bedecked with flowers line the streets; gardens blooming with cherry trees, roses, tulips and poppies carpet the earth; placid rivers and ponds lie tranquil amongst the wildflowers, making this a perfect place for long thoughtless walks. Our collection of the best places to stay in Giverny offer a great base from which to enjoy the rare beauty of this magical place.
Though largely a pilgrimage site for the devout followers of Monet, Giverny isn't merely defined by her most famous child. The petite and pretty village is a sight in itself and many of its country houses are equally as beautiful as Monet's own: big colourful stucco houses covered in bright flowers with gardens brimming with plant life. As well as being dominated by the Monet Foundation's excellent work in preserving his house and gardens, the village is filled with little museums run by contemporary Impressionists and are well worth seeing.
While the principal sights are closed between November and Easter, (as well as some hotels and restaurants), you will find yourself blessed if you go off-season. You will get some understanding of the peace and quiet that inspired Monet and will be lost-in-thought as you ramble over hills awash in wildflower or follow the old railroad path between Vernon and Giverny, without the hustle and bustle of the tourist buses disturbing your inner tranquility. Vernon, just shy of 2 miles away, is a wonderful town with many things to see and do, whether you're marvelling at the Gothic style of the cathedral, with her sculptures and carvings, or the Chateau de Bizy, with her beautiful gardens and central fountain.
What Not to miss
- The Water Garden: the inspiration for much of Monet's work, as a gardener he created this botanical masterpiece himself, with its green Japanese bridge, bamboo and maple trees, and water lillies dappling the pond.
- The Clos Normand: the house in which Monet lived, a large pink stucco country house with a garden of roses, Japanese apricot trees, tulips, daffodils and poppies.
- Museum of Impressionism: gathering together some of the finest works of impressionism, many by Monet himself, this is a great starting point for learning more about the Impressionists and their sources of inspiration.
- The Collegiate Church of Our Lady: 2 miles away in Vernon, it is a large Gothic cathedral with equally beautiful and grotesque carvings and statues of gargoyles, angels and Christian iconography. We recommend that you walk to Vernon on the old railroad, simply for its serenity and blossoming flowers that line the way.
If you're planning a trip to this enchanting town, don't for get to book well ahead. The best places to stay in Giverny will be exceptionally busy during the peak summer months.
The best places to stay in Giverny
- Le Jardins de Plumes: only 550 yards from Monet's home, this is an ideal starting point for exploring Giverny and her surroundings. Traditional on the outside but with a stylish contemporary interior, it has 8 rooms and a Michelin-star restaurant.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments on offer.
- The nearest airport is Beauvais-Tille Airport, running both international and domestic flights, and is 60km away. The Charles-de-Gaulle Airport in Paris is 93km away.
- Most of the sights and restaurants are only open during the spring and summer months, from April to October. Monet's garden is constantly changing with new flowers and plants coming into bloom, however it is busiest during May and June. But if you want to escape the crowds of tourists, go out-of-season.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Giverny
B&B Les Agapanthes 2 rooms from £87Giverny (Gasny)
A quaint country house, dating back to 1790, set on the outskirts of Gasny. Interiors are charmingly rustic, yet elegant, with wooden beams and open fires accompanied by antiques and chic country furnishings. Rooms are bright, simple yet cosy. Expect hearty breakfasts and utterly tranquil surrounds.Local exploring - Find a number of popular cultural attractions in the nearby regionHideaway - A pretty rural guesthouse ideal for quiet country retreatsSights nearby - Chateau de Bizy and the Musée Alphonse-Georges Poulain in nearby Vernon are definitely worth a visitGreat walks - Situated in a charming country village with many pretty walks to discover
La Reserve 5 rooms from £96Giverny
A picturesque yellow house set in beautiful 'Monet' countryside. Interiors are traditional, yet polished, with a choice selection of antiques, well thought out colour scheme and pretty french patterns. There's plenty to explore in the region, the breakfasts are sumptuous and hosts very friendly.Country Escape - A charming country house set in pretty (quintessentailly french) countryside.Sights nearby - Marvel at Chateau-Gaillard that has stood on its rocky spur for more than 800 years.Great walks - Discover plenty of scenic country trails starting straight from the property.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
Evergreen Guest House 2 rooms from £105Giverny (Blaru)
An idyllic guesthouse surrounded by pretty gardens, woods and an orchard. The two period one-bedroom cottages offer cosy living areas, a chic yet homely style, bare brick walls, wooden beams and open fireplaces. A generous breakfast is provided. An ideal spot for guests seeking rural tranquility.Hideaway - Evergreen is an oasis of peace and quiet – a small paradise filled with birds, flowers and treesSights nearby - Chateau de Bizy and the Musée Alphonse-Georges Poulain in nearby Vernon are definitely worth a visitGreat walks - Situated in a charming country village with many pretty walks and trails spanning the areaBack to Nature
Le Jardin des Plumes 8 rooms from £158Giverny
Traditional on the outside, whereas inside contemporary/modern prevails with art-deco furniture and classy, ornate decorations. Rooms are smartly furnished and bathrooms beautiful. Not only that, but Michelin starred cuisine and just round the corner from Monet's house and gardens at Giverny.Foodies - Michelin starred restaurantSights nearby - Monet's house and gardens merely 550 yards away; Impressionist Museum 450 yards, An hour from ParisViews - Great views from hotel
La Dime de Giverny 7 rooms from £18427620 Giverny
An historic Giverny guesthouse offering rooms in the house or self-catering cottages. Rooms are pared back yet stylish, combining rustic charm and elegance with hardwood floors, bare brick walls, wooden beams and chic furnishings. Breakfast is served, while village eateries are in walking distance.Local exploring - The historic Vexin region is great to explore, with its valleys, the forest of Lyons, abbeys, castles and beautiful parksSights nearby - Check out Monet’s beautiful house and garden, the castle of La Roche-Guyon and the 800 year-old Château GaillardBack to NatureHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Domaine de La Corniche 44 rooms from £1131Giverny (78270 Rolleboise)
Historic hilltop hotel with stunning river views surrounded by a picturesque garden with an outdoor pool. Inside, the decor is contemporary and elegant with eye-catching carpets, bold palettes and chic furniture. Guests can indulge in the spa facilities, and the two top-notch restaurants are a must!Country Escape - Set high on the hills overlooking the Seine Valley, ideal for nature loversSights nearby - Visit the house and gardens of Claude Monet in nearby Giverny as well as a handful of regional chateauxSwimming Pool - Indoor pool and seasonal outdoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.