Search the best hotels in Hautes-Pyrénées
Right up against the Spanish border, the Hautes-Pyrénées region encompasses much of the breathtakingly beautiful Parc National des Pyrénées. Close to the Basque Country, this is an intriguing foodie destination, as well as a great choice for those keen to immerse themselves in the magic of the great outdoors. With accommodation options ranging from charming family-owned hotels and B&Bs to chic city pads, our list the best places to stay in the Hautes-Pyrénées is great for getting a sense of your holiday options.
Tarbes, the regional capital, is famed as the home of the impressive 23-acre Jardin Massey, as well as a number of heritage landmarks and museums. The weekly Thursday market is a brilliant opportunity to savour regional flavours. Beyond Tarbes is the legendary pilgrimage site of Lourdes, as well as the little mountain hamlets of the expansive Parc National des Pyrénées.
The National Park itself is a land of rugged, snow-clad mountains — perfect for eager skiers in the winter months — as well as verdant forests. Admire the Pont d’Espagne, which spans one of the highest water sources in the Pyrenees, or the awe-inspiring natural amphitheatre of sheer rock walls and waterfalls that is the Cirque de Gavarnie. Spend your days hiking, horse riding and cycling through bewitching wild landscapes, or fishing and rafting on mountain rivers. The best places to stay in the Hautes-Pyrénées promise hearty cuisine and characterful guest rooms for active adventurers to rest and recharge.
The Best Places to Stay in Hautes-Pyrénées
For the Parc National des Pyrénées
- Le Lion d'Or is a charming family-run hotel with 17 comfortable rooms in the Parc National des Pyrénées. Pick this place for the abundance of character, the friendly welcome and the hearty breakfasts. Evening cocktails are a nice touch. You're well-placed for winter ski trips as well as summer hiking and mountain biking.
- Le Viscos is another lovely little hotel, with airy rooms offering mountain views and a chalet feel with wood panelling and floral motifs. A family-run gem for keen foodies, the hotel prides itself on serving fabulous regional fare using locally sourced seasonal ingredients. Also family-run, and set within the national park.
For City Style
- Le Rex Hotel is a sleek, minimalist spot in the centre of Tarbes. Expect design-led spaces done in largely monochrome tones with indulgent bathrooms and great views over town. Good conference facilities make this a popular business trip choice, but it's also ideal for holidaymakers. The games room, bar and restaurant are sociable gathering spaces.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrénées Airport or to the larger Toulouse Blagnac Airport, and travel to your hotel by bus or taxi. Many hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup in advance.
- Hautes-Pyrénées is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures ranging between 20 and 25°C from June to August and the fields filled with wildflowers. Keen skiers, of course, will choose to travel between December and April. May or September-October are ideal for quieter trips.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Tarbes.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the nearby Pyrénées-Atlantiques.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hautes-Pyrénées
Best Hotels in Hautes-Pyrénées
Le Rex Tarbes 74 rooms from £86Business meetings - Well equipped with a business centre and meeting room for business conventions.Active Holiday - Great area for golfing and walking holidays, as well as city exploring.Sights nearby - Religious pilgrimage site Notre Dame de Lourdes Sanctuary is eleven miles away.Restaurant - Recommended.
Le Viscos Hautes-Pyrénées 8 rooms from £89Active Holiday - Located in the Pyrenees, this is ideal for active types interested in hiking, cycling, horse riding and fishingSights nearby - Check out the UNESCO listed St. Savin Abbey, the 5 castles in nearby Chauvigny and the cave paintings at Le Roc aux SorciersRemote - Off the beaten track.Cooking classes - Check for timings.
Le Lion d'Or Hautes-Pyrénées 19 rooms from £125Sights nearby - Hautes-Pyrenees: the Pic du Midi, Lourdes and Gavarnie.Other Activities - "Les Bains Du Rocher". Relaxing thermal waters.Mountain biking - Pyrenees Cycling Lodge 25mins away.Skiing - 100 metres from the ski lift
This family run hotel in the Pyrenees offers a warm and friendly welcome, comfortable rooms and a hearty breakfast -just what is needed in the mountains. Ideal location for skiing in winter. Hotel staff can advise you on walks, activities and things to see in the region during the summer season. See More