I love your site btw! Alex Slater.
Search the best hotels in Hautes-Pyrénées
The Hautes-Pyrénées area is within the Midi-Pyrenees, around the Parc National des Pyrénées and right up against the Spanish Border. This is some of France’s most dramatic mountain terrain, a row of sharp peaks which is popular with skiers, but also quite raw. This is where you’ll find the most untamed landscapes and wildest creatures. Ideal for cyclists, skiers and hikers, the rugged and spectacular landscape is beautiful and enchanting, peppered with mountain hamlets and villages, and of course, the famous pilgrimage site of Lourdes. In terms of sights-to-see, like the Cirque de Gavarnie, which is 800metres wide at its deepest point, and 3000metres wide at the top, and the Pont d’Espagne, a bridge over one of the highest water sources in the Parc National des Pyrénées, you are truly spoilt for choice. The region is also known for its hot springs, and there are several hot spring resort towns and ski resorts too. The best places to stay in Hautes-Pyrenees promise rustic simplicity, intimacy and spellbinding views of the untouched landscape.
What not to miss
- Visit the beautiful pilgrimage capital of Lourdes, where St. Bernadette claimed to have seen Mother Mary!
- Walk across the Pont d'Espagne.
- Hike across the many walking routes lining the weatherbeaten and rugged landscape.
- Wander through the Parc National des Pyrenees, past the great mountains and lakes, forests and gullies.
- Check out the Parc Animalier - there are over 400 different species of animal there, including bears.
- See the Cirque de Gavarnie - a natural amphitheatre - and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Drink in the beautiful views at the Lac de Gaube - a gorgeous lake that mirrors the sky.
Where to stay
- Tarbes is the chief-town of the region, famous for its beautiful gardens, palm-lined streets and importantly, as a centre for the breeding of horses - which makes sense considering its close proximity to the pottok's of the Basque country. There's a weekly market held every Thursday morning and several art galleries too, not to mention the famous Jardin Massey.
- Parc National des Pyrenees is mountainous, bearded with trees and rather bewitching. Staying in a hotel set against the wild and rugged landscape provides the quiet contemplation, solace and escape that so many seek here. The downside is that the villages and hamlets that sprawl in clutches across the landscape have few amenities, though the biking and hiking opportunities are endless, and importantly, right on your doorstep.
Wild, rugged and breathtakingly beautiful - the region is a paradise for nature-lovers, hikers, bikers and climbers. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Haute-Pyrenees to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Hautes-Pyrenees
For the Parc National des Pyrenees
- Le Lion d'Or is a family-run hotel offering 19 comfortable, welcoming rooms and a hearty mountain breakfast within the Parc National des Pyrénées. You’re in a perfect spot for winter ski trips, but there’s plenty to do here in the summer as well.
- Le Viscos is a picturesque and friendly family-run hotel in a Haute-Pyrenees village, serving delicious traditional dishes made with locally sourced ingredients. Light rooms have a fresh natural feel with soft hues, pine wood panelling and floral motifs. A lovely stay.
- Les Petites Vosges is a typically charming Pyrenees house turned four bedroom B&B. The traditional rooms have wooden beam ceilings, parquet floors and modern facilities. Breakfasts are served on a roof terrace. You’re close to the mountains, but also to thermal springs. So it’s a great choice for an active break.
- Le Rex is a contemporary hotel located in the centre of Tarbes. Rooms are sleek and modern with minimalist designs that optimise space and comfort. Equipped with meeting facilities to accommodate for 200 people, making it perfect for business or seminar weekends.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Toulouse International Airport, a 1h 30 drive to Tarbes; you can either get a train, shuttle bus or taxi to Tarbes. Either way, the views on the way are extraordinary.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer, though skiers may disagree. During the summer, the once snow-white valleys are flushed green with blooming wildflower. During this time, the temperature ranges between 13 and 25 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Hautes-Pyrénées
Les Petites Vosges Hautes-Pyrénées 4 rooms from £69
A charming B&B in a typical Pyrénées house. Traditional rooms host wooden beam ceilings, parquet floors and modern amenities. A roof terrace and lovely breakfasts. Close to the city's Aquensis thermal spas and outdoor activities. A good choice for an active weekend in the mountains.Local exploring - Skiing, hiking, cycling and walks on the doorstep of this B&B. Also the city's thermal baths and traditional restaurantsSkiing - La Mongie-Tourmalet Ski resort open in the winter.Active HolidayGreat walks - Pyrenees hikes are within an hour's drive
La Poterie Gers, Hautes-Pyrénées 1 rooms from £61
Set in the village of Labatut Rivière, La Poterie is an unfussy B&B offering views of the Pyrenees. Boasting one chic room with a private bathroom, there's also a gîte with two double beds (sleeping up to 8) that can be booked up by groups. With lovely gardens and a pool, it's utterly charming.Value chic - With the charming B&B room from just €65 per night, including breakfast, La Poterie is superb value for money.Sights nearby - Just 15 mins from the pretty town of Marciac and easy access to Lourdes, Tarbes and PauFishing - There are some fabulous nearby spots to go fishing if that's your cup of tea!Great walks - Ramble around the surrounding countryside and get to know your bearings
Le Rex Tarbes 74 rooms from £87
Contemporary hotel located in the centre of Tarbes. Rooms are sleek and modern with minimalist designs that optimise space and comfort. Equipped with meeting facilities to accommodate for 200 people, making it perfect for business or seminar weekends.Business meetings - Well equipped with a business centre and meeting room for business conventions.Active Holiday - Great area for golfing and walking holidays, as well as city exploring.Sights nearby - Religious pilgrimage site Notre Dame de Lourdes Sanctuary is eleven miles away.
Le Viscos Hautes-Pyrénées 8 rooms from £89
A picturesque and friendly family-run hotel in a Haute-Pyrenees village, serving delicious traditional dishes made with locally sourced ingredients. Light rooms have a fresh natural feel with soft hues, pine wood panelling and floral motifs. A lovely alpine stay.Active Holiday - Located in the Pyrenees, this is ideal for active types interested in hiking, cycling, horse riding and fishingSights nearby - Check out the UNESCO listed St. Savin Abbey, the 5 castles in nearby Chauvigny and the cave paintings at Le Roc aux SorciersRemote - Off the beaten track.Back to Nature
Le Lion d'Or Hautes-Pyrénées 19 rooms from £125
This family run hotel in the Pyrenees offers a warm and friendly welcome, comfortable rooms and a hearty breakfast -just what is needed in the mountains. Ideal location for skiing in winter. Hotel staff can advise you on walks, activities and things to see in the region during the summer season.Sights nearby - Hautes-Pyrenees: the Pic du Midi, Lourdes and Gavarnie.Other Activities - "Les Bains Du Rocher". Relaxing thermal waters.Mountain biking - Pyrenees Cycling Lodge 25mins away.Skiing - 100 metres from the ski lift