Search the best hotels in Hautes-Pyrénées
The Hautes-Pyrénées department is within the Midi-Pyrenees, encompasses a large portion of the Parc National des Pyrénées and is right up against the Spanish Border. This is some of France’s most dramatic mountain terrain, a row of sharp peaks which are popular with skiers, but also quite raw. This is where you’ll find the most untamed landscapes and wildest creatures. In keeping with this theme, our Gurus recommendations of the best places to stay in Hautes-Pyrenees are mostly rustic, remote and intimate hotels, offering spellbinding views of the untouched landscape (though we have tracked down a good option in department capital Tarbes too).
Ideal for cyclists, skiers and hikers, the rugged and spectacular landscape is beautiful and enchanting, peppered with mountain hamlets and villages, and of course, the famous pilgrimage site of Lourdes. There's also plenty to see here, such as the Cirque de Gavarnie and the Pont d’Espagne, a bridge over one of the highest water sources in the Parc National des Pyrénées. The region is also known for its hot springs, and there are several hot spring resort towns and ski resorts too.
Where to stay - which town/area?
- Tarbes is the capital of the region, famous for its beautiful gardens, palm-lined streets and importantly, as a centre for the breeding of horses - which makes sense considering its close proximity to the pottok's of the Basque country. There's an excellent market held every Thursday morning and several art galleries too, not to mention the famous Jardin Massey.
- Parc National des Pyrenees is mountainous, and rather bewitching. Staying in a hotel set against the wild and rugged landscape provides the quiet contemplation, solace and escape that so many seek here. The downside is that the villages and hamlets that sprawl in clutches across the landscape have few amenities, though the biking and hiking opportunities are endless, and importantly, right on your doorstep.
Wild, rugged and breathtakingly beautiful - the region is a paradise for nature-lovers, hikers, bikers and climbers. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Hautes-Pyrenees to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Hautes-Pyrenees
For the Parc National des Pyrenees
- Le Lion d'Or is a family-run hotel offering 19 comfortable, welcoming rooms and a hearty mountain breakfast within the Parc National des Pyrénées. You’re in a perfect spot for winter ski trips, but there’s plenty to do here in the summer as well.
- Le Viscos is a picturesque and friendly family-run hotel in an Hautes-Pyrenean village. Light rooms have a fresh natural feel with soft hues, pine wood panelling and floral motifs. And there's a restaurant serving delicious traditional dishes made with locally sourced ingredients. A lovely stay.
- Les Petites Vosges is a typically charming Pyrenean house turned four bedroom B&B. The traditional rooms have wooden beamed ceilings, parquet floors and modern facilities. Breakfasts are served on a roof terrace. You’re close to the mountains, but also to thermal springs. So it’s a great choice for an active break.
- Le Rex is a contemporary hotel located in the centre of Tarbes. Rooms are sleek and modern with minimalist designs that optimise space and comfort. A good option for both business and leisure travellers.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Toulouse International Airport, or Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees Airport which is just 8km south of Tarbes and handles scheduled and chartered flights from all over Europe.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit the Hautes-Pyrenees is during the summer, though skiers may disagree. During the summer, the once snow-white valleys are flushed green with blooming wildflowers. During this time, the temperature ranges between 13 and 25 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in the Basque Country
- or the neighbouring Pyrenees Atlantiques or Pyrenees Orientales.
- Alternatively you can contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hautes-Pyrénées
Best Hotels in Hautes-Pyrénées
Les Petites Vosges Hautes-Pyrénées 4 rooms from £69Local exploring - Visit the town's thermal baths and make the most of its traditional restaurantsActive Holiday - Skiing, hiking, cycling and walks are all on the doorstep.Skiing - La Mongie-Tourmalet Ski resort open in the winter.Great walks - Pyrenees hikes are within an hour's drive
A charming B&B in a typical Pyrénées house. Traditional rooms host wooden beam ceilings, parquet floors and modern amenities. A roof terrace and lovely breakfasts. Close to the city's Aquensis thermal spas and outdoor activities. A good choice for an active weekend in the mountains. See More
Le Rex Tarbes 74 rooms from £86Business meetings - Well equipped with a business centre and meeting room for business conventions.Active Holiday - Great area for golfing and walking holidays, as well as city exploring.Sights nearby - Religious pilgrimage site Notre Dame de Lourdes Sanctuary is eleven miles away.Restaurant - Recommended.
Le Viscos Hautes-Pyrénées 8 rooms from £89Active Holiday - Located in the Pyrenees, this is ideal for active types interested in hiking, cycling, horse riding and fishingSights nearby - Check out the UNESCO listed St. Savin Abbey, the 5 castles in nearby Chauvigny and the cave paintings at Le Roc aux SorciersRemote - Off the beaten track.Cooking classes - Check for timings.
Le Lion d'Or Hautes-Pyrénées 19 rooms from £125Sights nearby - Hautes-Pyrenees: the Pic du Midi, Lourdes and Gavarnie.Other Activities - "Les Bains Du Rocher". Relaxing thermal waters.Mountain biking - Pyrenees Cycling Lodge 25mins away.Skiing - 100 metres from the ski lift
This family run hotel in the Pyrenees offers a warm and friendly welcome, comfortable rooms and a hearty breakfast -just what is needed in the mountains. Ideal location for skiing in winter. Hotel staff can advise you on walks, activities and things to see in the region during the summer season. See More