Search the best hotels in Herault
In the heart of the Languadoc, the department of Herault comprises of the seaside towns along the coast of the Mediterranean, stone villages peppering the northwestern mountains and the lush green pastures of the Herault Valley. Part of the region's charm lies in the diversity of its landscape and the variety of things-to-do from hiking through the Cevennes Mountains, sightseeing in the historic centres of Beziers and Montpelliers or lounging at the white sand beaches along the Etang de Thau. Our collection of the best places to stay in Herault range from grand chateaux to charming boutiques.
The resort towns along the coast are the ideal place for a seaside holiday. Cape d'Agde boasts some popular nudist beaches but few historic sights, while along the Etang de Thau - a great sea lake - are scattered little resort towns and villages like Marseillan and Meze. The resort of La Grande-Motte is exceedingly popular, built in the 1970s, and has some wonderful beaches while the historic port town of Sete has some interesting art galleries like the Paul Valery Museum. While in the area, be sure to check out the beautifully cloistered Abbey Valmagne in Villeveyrac.
A vibrant town with a lively historic centre defined by gorgeous neoclassical facades, Montpellier is a fabulous city from which to explore the area. The striking gothic cathedral, upmarket fashion boutiques and fascinating galleries like the Musee Fabre, make it the beating cultural heart of Herault.
Beziers is a pretty historic market town defined by two things: bullfighting and wine. The stunning Romanesque architecture, best exhibited by the Cathedral St. Nazaire that dominates the skyline, is wonderful to behold. Reachable by an ancient bridge over a winding river, it is a charming and peaceful town often overlooked.
Pezenas, with its archaic facades and medieval mansions is a delight to visit, made all the better by the Friday night tradition of farmers selling wine on the street. The countryside surrounding the major towns boasts some of the most beautiful villages in France, known collectively as the Plus Beaux Villages de France. Minerve, stony and picturesque, sitting on green pasture by a deep gorge, is a place where time stands still. At the foot of the Caroux Mountains is Olargues, which is worth checking out, as is St Guilhem-le-desert, to the northeast, whose famous abbey - Gellone Abbey - is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
What not to miss
- Lounge lazily at the beach in the Cape d'Agde. If you're feeling liberated, check out the naturist beaches!
- Glide gently down the Canal du Midi and feel time halt to a standstill.
- Head over to Guilhem-le-desert, one of France's most beautiful villages, and explore the ancient abbey!
- Go for a hike through the Cevennes Mountains and enjoy the scenic views and clean air.
- Visit the Haut-Languadoc National Park and marvel at the 240 species of bird.
- Feeling adventerous? Why not try some Petit pate de Pezenas, a culinary speciality of the region: a savoury spiced mice tart!
- Watch bullfighting in Beziers and while you're there, check out the Romanesque Cathedral St. Nazaire.
To start planning your trip browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Herault below.
The best places to stay in Herault
- Le Mimosa: stone floors, exposed brick walls and lovely large rooms looking out onto a picturesque old town. Relax on the terrace or go for a stroll in the surrounding vineyards!
- La Bergerie du Cap: a few minutes from the beach, this lovely hotel is a converted 18th-century barn. There is an outdoor pool and a jacuzzi to relax in. Great for young couples on a seaside holiday.
- Le Guilhaume d'Orange: in a quaint and unspoilt French village, boasting gorgeous views of a gorge, offering simple and comfortable rooms. The perfect starting point for exploring the area.
- Disini Hotel: in an enviable location, this exotic Orient-inspired hotel offers rooms adorned with Asian and Near-Eastern artefacts; there is a spa, outdoor swimming pool and jacuzzi. A lovely little rural retreat!
- Chateau Olmet: in a quiet town on the outskirts of Montpellier, offering simple contemporary rooms, a rejuvenating outdoor pool and indulgent breakfasts. A rural stunner.
- Chateau Les Carrasses: a 19th-century castle and wine estate, set on sprawling green grounds. From suites to villas with private pools, there is a great variety of accommodation on offer. Foodies will love the gourmet restaurant. Enjoy table tennis, billiards, cooking classes, the outdoor pool or cycling.
- Chateau St. Pierre de Serjac: set on 200 acres of countryside, this glorious chateau has its own winery, spa and fine-dining restaurant. Utterly spoiling, the rooms are enchantingly decorated in a classic French style.
- Baudon de Mauny: a luxurious and historic hotel housed in an 18th century building, offering a not-to-miss hotel experience. The rooms are ornate and minimalist, blending old with new; indulgent breakfasts are on offer, and it is in a fantastic location for sightseeing.
- Couvent d'Herepian: boasting a wine cellar, luxurious spa and swimming pool, this designer-chic renovated convent is surrounded by vineyards. The beautiful rooms are simple and stylish, decorated in soft hues.
- XIX: a gorgeous art-deco hotel boasting enviable views of Bezier's Old Town, offering bright and minimalist rooms, a swimming pool, sun terrace and bar. Perfectly situated for sightseeing.
- La Villa Guy: truly spoiling, a beautiful guesthouse in Beziers offering elegant rooms decorated with oil paintings. There is a spa, gym, pool and billiards table.
- L'Hotel Particulier: ideal for exploring Beziers, this pretty boutique hotel offers soundproofed and minimalist rooms with gorgeous garden views. There is also a swimming pool and massage services on offer. A spoiling stay.
- B&B Cosy: a stylish townhouse in a lovely littlle fishing village, offering individually-styled chic rooms adorned with modern artworks. A great stepping stone to greater adventures!
- Mas de Lafeuillade: just a short walk from the beach, this beautiful hotel stands in the heart of Montpellier. Offering elegant rooms with an eclecti decor mixing modern and traditional styles, completewith 1920s furniture and 21st century street art. The on-site restaurant serves sumptous cuisine. A fantastic stay!
- Meze Maison: a charming seafront hotel in the harbour town of Meze, offering cosy and comfortable rooms with exposed wooden beams. Enjoy relaxing on the balcony or exploring the town!
- Hotel du Palais: offering cosy and stylish rooms with wonderful views of the city and in an enviable neighbourhood, surrounded by boutiques and restaurants. A charming and unfussy stay!
- Hotel d'Aragon: in the heart of Montpellier, this is a great stepping stone for exploring the sights of the city. Offering bright, stylish and modern rooms decorated in individual styles, it is full of charm. Snug and sweet, ideal for couples.
- Domaine de Biar: a beautiful country house on the edge of Montpellier, with an authentic French feel, offering rooms with contemporary flourishes and rustic furnishings. Boasting enormous gardens, free-roaming horses, a spa and a gorgeous pool. An oasis of calm.
- La Bergerie de Laval: perched between lush green vineyards, this gorgeous hotel offers characterful rooms adorned in soft hues. Offering an outdoor pool, jacuzzi and breakfast served on the terrace, it is charming and relaxing stay.
- Village Castigno: nestling in a traditional French village, with historical architecture that blends beautifully with contemporary decor, offering a rejuvenating country-escape with swimming pools and gourmet cuisine.
- Chateau Rieutort: the perfect rural getaway, set in a 200-year-old wine estate, boasting two swimming pools, an extensive spa and table d'hotes. Explore the sprawling grounds of the estate, relax in the elegant rooms and walk along the mosaic floors. Divine.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Montpellier and get public transport to your destination.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 14 and 27 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Provence.
- Browse through our collection in Languedoc.
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Herault
Château Les Carrasses 28 rooms from £145Capestang (Quarante)
A 19th century castle with wine estate, lovingly turned into a luxurious stay. Accommodation ranges from suites to three bed villas with private pools. All decorated in a modern yet unmistakably French style. Très chic. The food and wine pairing is popular as is the Mediterranean Brasserie.Exclusive offer - 4 nights for the price of 3Great walks - There are some great walks through the Languedoc countryside.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.Kayaking - Available locally.
Château St. Pierre de Serjac 93 rooms from £175Languedoc, Puissalicon, Herault
A magnificent Château with vineyard set amidst 200 acres of rolling countryside. Accommodation includes eight rooms, lovingly decorated in a classic French style and 36 self-catering properties. All achingly stylish. Fine dining restaurant, spa, indoor and outdoor pools. The list goes on!Exclusive offer - 4 nights for the price of 3Great walks - Plenty of scenic walking routes leading directly from the property through the Languedoc countryside.Local markets - The property hosts farmer's markets for locals and guests to attend.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Cooking classes - Check for timings.
Le Guilhaume d’Orange 10 rooms from £61Saint Guilhem Le Desert (Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert)
Unspoilt and traditional French village hotel, with magnificent gorge views and simple, but delicious local cooking. Heaps to do in the area. A friendly off the beaten track base, ideal for exploring the surrounding countryside.Views - Great views from hotelTraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Le Mimosa 5 rooms from 76Saint-Saturnin-de-Lucian, Herault
A quiet hotel set in the town centre. Lovely large rooms have stone floors, brick walls and views to the courtyard. Delightful evening meals served in the dining room. Terrace and surrounding vineyards to relax in. A charming and great value stay.Local exploring - Perfectly situated for exploring the sites, vineyards and natural delights of regionKayaking - At the Devil Bridge Gorges de l'HéraultSights nearby - Saint Guilhem, the Roman AbbeySailing - In Lake Salagou
La Bergerie du Cap 12 rooms from £77Agde
A classical hotel in a converted 18th century barn. Rooms are functional and clean with wooden floors and whitewashed walls. Outdoor pool and jacuzzi at your disposal and breakfast is served until midday. Beach just minutes away for sailing and swimming. A great choice for a family holiday.Full of character - A converted 18th century barn uses original materials for chic effect.Wildlife Area - 300m from international naturist centreFamiliesSights nearby - The town of Agde Pézenas City of Carcasssonne: The city of Sete Sete The cities of Beziers, Sete and Carcassonne
Disini Hotel 16 rooms from £76Montpellier (34160 Castries)
Orient-inspired luxury hotel in rural Languedoc offering 16 exotically furnished rooms and suites, with Asian artefacts with flourishes of African style. Featuring a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, jacuzzi and spoiling spa. A picturesque and quiet location, ideal for a relaxing rural retreats.Country Escape - Set in an idyllic and picturesque setting that's wonderfully tranquil.Great walks - 15 minutes away in Montpellier is the Promenade du Peyrou, which, when lit up at night, is perfect for strolling lovers.Sights nearby - 5 miles away is the Chateau du Flaugergues, a well-restored castle, with impressive gardens.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Château Olmet 3 rooms from £88Lodeve (Olmet et Villecun)
Chateau Olmet is situated in the quiet town Lodève, 30 miles from Montpellier. It offers unfussy accommodation and each room comes with its own coffee machine. There's an outdoor pool-perfect for a refreshing dip to escape the afternoon's heat. A peaceful and rejuvenating spot.Active Holiday - There are plenty of activities available nearby so you can make the most of your beautiful surroundingsCountry Escape - Forget about all your worries at this peaceful and tranquil rural spotKayaking - Head to Kayak Herault to organise an action-packed adventureRestrictions on children - Adult onlyRecommended by - I Escape
B&B Cosy 4 rooms from £88Agde (Languedoc-Roussillon)
Within an unpretentious townhouse in the laid-back little fishing port of Marseillan, visitors find a family welcome and rooms with individual flair.Local exploring - A chic boutique property makes a comfortable base for exploring the region.Sailing - Boats can be rented from the nearby harbour.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Chateau Rieutort 5 rooms from £9234230 Saint-Pargoire, Herault
Renovated 18th century winery in a 200-year-old park on the banks of the River Herault. boasting two swimming pools, table d’hôte and spa facilities. Elegant rooms with mosaic floors and stucco ceilings come with private jacuzzis and coffee machine. Ideal for completely unwinding.Spa breaks - Not only do some rooms have a jacuzzi, but there's a spa, sauna and swimming pools. Beauty treatments available on request.Country Escape - On the banks of the River Herault in an old winery and 200-year-old park, surrounded by vineyards.Sights nearby - Take a trip to Abbaye de Valmagne, an old monastery, or drive to the fairy-tale castle of Carcassonne.Swimming Pool - Two outdoor swimming pools including a nudist pool.
Mas de Lafeuillade 5 rooms from £96Montpellier (34000)
Elegant rooms in the heart of Montpellier. The eclectic decor mixes traditional and modern styles: think 1920s furniture with 21st century street art. An on-site restaurant serves excellent a la carte cuisine. A short walk to the beach, ideal for exploring the region.Business meetings - You can rent out meeting rooms via reception if you're planning a seminar or business meeting. Catering and board provided.Beach Life - Montpellier is only a few km from beaches like the saint-white sands of Grau-du-Roi.Great walks - The hotel is close to the Place de la Comédie, a central plaza with countless shops, cafes and restaurants.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Hotel d'Aragon, Montpellier 12 rooms from £97Montpellier
A comfortable and peaceful Montpellier bolthole, a short walk from both the railway station and the historic centre. Ideal for visitors looking for a small and characterful hotel from which to explore the city.Sights nearby - Go see the medieval Mikvé, ancient Jewish baths, or visit Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around the old town and stop off for a break in a bustling caféFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Hotel du Palais, Montpellier 26 rooms from £98Montpellier
An unfussy hotel run by a friendly team and situated in an enviable location surrounded by local neighbourhood cafes, restaurants and small boutiques. Many rooms boast pretty balconies overlooking the city and there are good family options. A great little find perfect for local exploring.Sights nearby - Hotel du Palais is ideally situated to see the medieval Mikvé baths, as well as the Saint Anne and Saint Pierre CathedralsGreat walks - Wander around Montpellier's old town and stop off for a break in a charming caféLocal markets - Check out the morning food market on Esplanade Charles de GaulleFull of character
Village Castigno 24 rooms from £114Beziers (34360 Assignan)
Village Castigno is a traditional French village transformed into a superb hotel in the heart of provincial France. The historical architecture blends beautifully with contemporary decor. All-in-all, it offers a relaxing country-escape with pools, gourmet food and plenty of hotel entertainment.Foodies - Not only does the hotel produce its own wine, but the three restaurants offer superb cuisine from bistro to gourmet to exoticFamilies - Intimate, stylishly designed 'Maison de famille' equipped with rooms, private pool, shaded terrace and dining facilitiesBack to Nature - Located in an idyllic village in the heart of the countryside. Take a hike or rent a car to visit pastoral surroundingsTotal relaxation - Le Petit Péché is the hotel's wellness centre which offers a range of massages and treatmentsRecommended by - I Escape
Meze Maison 4 rooms from £101Meze
A charming, small hotel in the picturesque port of Meze. The cosy, comfortable rooms exude a calm homely feel with their exposed beam ceilings and warm colour schemes. Ramble through the energetic seaside streets or take a day fishing trip out from the harbour. A classy, seaside hotel.Beach Life - Explore the beautiful coastline surrounding Meze, great for swimming, sailing, fishing and kayaking.Fishing - There are great fishing opportunities in L'étang de Thau lagoon, less than five minutes from the hotel.Sailing - Meze is home to one of France's most well known sailing schools, ask at the hotel about hiring boats.Local markets - Explore the local markets of Meze and pick up some regional treats.Recommended by - Sawdays, Great Small Hotels
XIX 12 rooms from £110Beziers (34500 Béziers)
Stunning art-deco hotel in the heart of the historic centre of Beziers, offering 12 rooms with wonderful views of the Old Town. Featuring a charming tea-room along with a swimming pool, sun-terrace and bar. Perfectly central, only 450 yards from Saint-Nazaire Cathedral.City Style - A stylish art deco hotel featuring an array of paintings, particularly from Sebastian Bayet.Great walks - The historic centre of Beziers is full of medieval and Renaissance buildings and is a great place for long walks.Sights nearby - Only 450 yards from the beautiful Saint-Nazaire Cathedral and slap-bang in the centre of Beziers.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
L'Hotel Particulier 9 rooms from £117Beziers
Luxurious accommodation in a pretty boutique hotel in the centre of Beziers. Near the Cathedral of Saint Nazaire, the soundproofed and minimalist rooms come with beautiful garden views. There's a pool, massage services and sun terrace. A perfect base for golfers, there are 3 courses in the area.Total relaxation - Sip slowly at a cocktail from the bar and lounge idly on the terrace, soaking up the sun.Sights nearby - The Cathedral of Saint Nazaire is a short walk away.Local markets - Peruse the nearby Les Halle market.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
La Villa Guy 6 rooms from £118Beziers (34500 Béziers)
Royally-elegant guesthouse in the centre of Beziers, offering chic rooms with artworks by Magrou and Injalbert. Facilities include a gym and wellness centre, including a sauna and Turkish bath. There is an outdoor swimming pool and billiards table. A perfect base for exploring the area.Total relaxation - Nestling amongst the grounds of a 1 hetacre park in the middle of town, with a pool and sun loungers, it'd be rude not to relax.Spa breaks - The wellness centre includes beauty treatments, as well as a sauna and Turkish bath. Spoil yourself!Great walks - The Canal du Midi is close by and is a beautiful location for walks.Sights nearby - Only 1 mile from Beziers Cathedral.
Couvent d'Herepian 13 rooms from £122Herepian (Languedoc)
Designer-chic convent renovation surrounded by vineyards. Beautiful rooms and suites mimic the serenity to be found in the luxurious spa or from private terraces. Wine cellar, swimming pool, and plenty of outdoor activities. Relaxation in the rolling countryside.Good wine list - Exceptional cellar.WellbeingSpa breaksTotal relaxationRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Baudon de Mauny 9 rooms from £123Montpellier
Artistic and historic in style, convenient in location and extremely comfortable, Baudon de Mauny – housed in an 18th century building – offers a luxurious and memorable experience.City StyleSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Sawdays, I Escape
Chateau Autignac 5 rooms from £140Herault
Stylishly-restored 19th century chateau and vineyard in the heart of the Languadoc offering comfortable, contemporary rooms and suites. Facilities include a spa, an outdoor swimming pool, private sun-terraces and a conservatory. Wine tasting is a regular and welcome event. Ideal for unwinding.Total relaxation - With ample, lush gardens, private sun-terraces, a pool and spa, it would be very difficult not to relax in this haven.Sights nearby - 11 miles from Saint-Nazaire Cathedral.Swimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
La Bergerie de Laval 3 rooms from £142Beziers, Herault
Nestled between vineyards and sleepy villages, this informal B&B promises quiet luxury and easy living. The homely rooms have a personal touch and are decorated with soft hues. Breakfast is served on the charming terrace. There is also an outdoor pool and jacuzzi. A charming stay.Hideaway - Offering languid luxury to its guests in a sleepy village with beautiful groves and aromas in the airLocal exploring - This area of Langueduc boasts a rich array of sights and activties in close proximityGreat walks - There are many marked walking trails so whether it's a gentle stroll or a lengthy hike, your hosts can advise on routesLocal markets - Visit the Pezenas market for cheese, olives, fish, bread, colourful pottery, clothes and bargain priced baskets!Recommended by - Sawdays
Domaine de Biar 5 rooms from £149Montpellier
A stunning country house located on the edge of Montpellier. Lovingly converted throughout, keeping its distinctly French feel, with contemporary architectural touches. Country-style gardens, roaming horses and a gorgeous pool quickly aid relaxation (as does the spa). Thoroughly spoiling.Country Escape - A picture perfect country house complete with roaming horses, ideal for revelling in complete tranquility.Great walks - Lovely walks staring straight from the hotel grounds.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet
Le Domaine Tarbouriech 15 rooms from £166Agde (Marseillan)
This hotel is located in an 18th-century property nestled in Marseillan. Rooms are spread across several historic buildings and are individually styled, featuring unique, contemporary design pieces; the best suite offers a private jacuzzi. Book into the spa before oyster tasting. A charming hotel.Country Escape - Located between the oyster-farming lagoon and rolling vineyards, this hotel makes a unique country escapeFoodies - Foodies will swoon at the hotel's oyster tasting experiences and the fresh seafood restaurantRomantic Break - Couples love the discreet suites at this hotel and the chic, designer interiorsCooking classes - Take a cooking class with hotel chef Nicola and her sous-chef Allan, and learn how to make a variety of local dishes
Domaine de Verchant 26 rooms from £270Montpellier (Castelnau le Lez)
Luxury spa hotel with superb vineyard views, creative Mediterranean cuisine and fun beach-style area, all just a short drive from Montpellier’s city centre.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Spa breaksSpa - With VIP suite for those wanting a completely private experienceSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Relais & Chateaux