Search the best hotels in Limousin
Limousin has the quiet, rustic charm of real work, rather than tourist centres describing the work that once took place here. There are rolling pastures, soft-faced, milk-chocolate coloured cows ‘lowing’, whatever that means, and pretty working villages.
Many of the best places to stay in Limousin are chateaux dotted around the countryside, idyllic places to hideaway and relax, surrounded by green.
But if you’re looking for a lively break you might try Limoges; and if you’re looking for the most interesting villages then the agricultural Corrèze region in the southeast is probably one of the best places to stay in Limousin.
What not to miss
- Be sure to pass by Old Oradour-sur-Glane in Haute-Vienn, the haunting remnants of a village massacred back in 1944 and which has since been frozen in time. A moving experience.
- Tours de Merle, the remains of a medieval castle located in a picturesque forest setting, is a beautiful spot.
- Alternatively, head to the 13th-century Limoges Cathedral or the Gothic Abbaye de Moutier d'Ahun.
Whatever you're looking for, our pick of the best places to stay in Limousin will be sure to help you find just what you need.
The best places to stay in Limousin
- La Chapelle St Martin is an elegant country house with 14 rooms, a private lake, pool and tennis facilities. Rooms are large and sophisticated and there’s a gourmet restaurant, and plenty of activities on offer.
- Hotel Joyet de Maubec boasts smart rooms, a sauna, a gym, and lovely set-menu restaurant.
- The 12th-century Chateau Roussac is a wonderfully charming spot with bespoke suites set amongst gorgeous countryside.
- The Chateau de Castel Novel is a beautiful chateau set within 25 acres of woodland, with 37 charming rooms, a restaurant specialising in local cuisine and lovely gardens, an outdoor pool and terrace, tennis courts and an orangery.
- Built in the 13th Century, the Chateau de Lissac is now a five bedroom hotel with rustic charm and gorgeous details. There’s a lovely terrace and splendid, secluded gardens.
- Chateau de la Cazine is a sublime 18th-century chateau - a dreamy escape! Indulgent rooms featuring plenty of antiques, brilliant cuisine and lovely gardens.
- Chateau du Ludaix boasts individually-styled suites and gourmet four-course dinners. A chic spot.
For great value
- The Chateau De la Greze is an 18th-century chateau converted into a five bedroom B&B with an outdoor pool, beautiful sun terrace and a hotel kitchen which also offers cooking classes in the local style. Charming, and with great access to the region’s highlights. And rooms starting from around £70 per night.
- The Hostellerie La Bergerie is a farmhouse with private villas, surrounding an outdoor pool and tennis court. The villas also have private terraces. And there’s an authentic French restaurant.
For an apartment, holiday home or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering apartment then browse through the wide selection available with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, Limousin is nicest in the summer months - the average daily temperature rises to 19°C in August.
- However, this is peak season, so for a quieter and cheaper alternative consider visiting in spring or autumn.
- Fly into Limoges Airport before taking a bus or a train on to your final destination.
- Alternatively, hire a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Limousin
Chateau de la greze 5 rooms from £68Brivezac, Limousin
A lovely B&B in an 18th century chateau. Large rooms feature traditional details and all the mod cons. An outdoor pool, beautiful gardens and a sun terrace for soaking up the rays. Authentic regional dishes from the kitchen and bikes available to explore the countryside from. Charming, stylish.Country Escape - A charming location with a real sense of quiet, plus riding, cycling and foodie activites all close bySights nearby - France’s most historic sites including Rocamodor, Collonges-la-Rouge, Chateau de Castelnau, Abbaye d’AubazineCooking classes - Within the hotel kitchen, french delicacies such as foie grasTraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hostellerie La Bergerie 7 rooms from £76Oradour-sur-Vayres, Limousin
This farmhouse offers private villas set in 5 acres of garden. Guests can enjoy the outdoor swimming pool and tennis court. Bedrooms have modern interiors with comfortable seating area and private terrace. The restaurant offers authentic french cuisine and outdoor dining. A relaxing country escape.Sights nearby - Historic Castles: Coussac-Bonneval, Montbrun and ChalusGreat walks - Direct access on to the GR4 walking trailRestrictions on children - No children under 12Fishing - Fish in The Tardoire
La Chapelle St Martin 14 rooms from £89Nieul, Limousin
This elegant country house is set in a stunning 35 hectare park with private lake, swimming pool and tennis facilities. Rooms are sophisticated, refined and spacious. The hotel offers guests a gourmet restaurant serving fresh, local produce. A tranquil hideaway with plenty of activities on offer.Cooking classes - Cookery classes are held every Weds and Sat afternoonsFishing - Hotel can advise on local/on site fishingGreat walks - Hotel within 35 hectare walled parkFull of characterRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Chateau de la Cazine 19 rooms from £87Noth, Limousin
A spectacular 18th century chateau, in a sublime parkland setting. The plush rooms hark back to France's regal past with antique furniture and opulent decor. In the evening, guests can enjoy a cocktail in bar before sampling delicious seasonal cuisine from the restaurant. A wondrous rural hotel.Romantic Break - Perfect for a romantic break in a chateau, with plush suites, decadent interiors and side by side bath tubs.Country Escape - A glorious 18th century chateau set in a seventy hectare estate, the ideal rural retreat.Fishing - Anglers will be pleased to hear the estate is home to two fishing lakes.Great walks - Head off and explore the beautiful wooded walking trails.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
Chateau de Castel Novel 37 rooms from £112Varetz, Limousin
A stunning chateau set within woodlands. Charming rooms full of character have exposed beams, floral wallpapers, and views of the trees. The restaurant serves superb French cuisine. Gardens, outdoor pool, terrace, tennis court and an orangery. Elegant, peaceful, rustic.Country Escape - Look out over the wild park in which the hotel sits, riding, cycling and tennis all close at handGreat walks - Hotel sits within 25 acres of woodland, so plenty of space to walkLocal markets - Local food markets during the week days, and some on eveningsTraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Chateau du Ludaix 10 rooms from £105Limousin
A stunning chateau owned and run by the family of Henry Hollande. Delightfully dramatic throughout with suites named after family members and guests. Individually styled suites are filled with antiques yet have a contemporary feel. Four course meals served in the candlelit dinning room. Tres chic.Groups - The Chateau is available to be rented out in its entirety and is the perfect place to host a celebration.Country Escape - A wonderfully relaxing spot situated in gorgeous countryside.Great walks - Miles of walkways starting from the chateau's grounds.Kayaking - Take a relaxing ride down the River Gorges.Recommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Joyet de Maubec 8 rooms from £106Uzerche
Renovated hotel in 17th century building. Gorgeous rooms retain original stone walls, with contemporary furniture and art on the walls. Gym, sauna, terrace and garden. Excellent set-menu restaurant with focus on seasonal produce. Luxurious and family-friendly.Families - Junior suite offers a comfortable stay for families, whilst the range of outdoor excursions will keep everyone satisfiedGreat walks - The Pays d'Uzerche offers tours ranging from family friendly to the course for seasoned hikerSights nearby - Abbey Saint Pierre Uzerche and Abbey Saint Pierre de Vigeois are not to be missedKayaking - Canoeing can be arranged on the river
Chateau Roussac from £127Roussac, Limousin
A charming 12th century B&B, steeped in heritage and character. The suites have great personality with bespoke furniture and charming classical artwork. Explore the beautiful surrounding Haute Vienne countryside. A characterful rural retreat.Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful walks on the estate and around the nearby Lac Pardoux.Restrictions on children - Adults only.TraditionalFull of characterRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Chateau de Lissac 5 rooms from £144Limousin
13th century chateau next to Causse Lake. Gorgeous rooms feature contemporary furniture with rustic charm and exposed brick bathrooms. Sit-out terrace within the splendid gardens. Secluded and romantic.Romantic Break - Charming rooms with thoughful details, pretty gardens and hotel can prepare a picnic for afternoon walkSights nearby - Towns of Limousin, Périgord and QuercyKayaking - Canoes Safaraid DordogneGreat walks - Around Causse Lake