Search the best hotels in Limousin
Limousin has the quiet, rustic charm of real work, rather than tourist centres describing the work that once took place here. There are rolling pastures, soft-faced, milk-chocolate coloured cows ‘lowing’, whatever that means, and pretty working villages.
Many of the best places to stay in Limousin are chateaux dotted around the countryside, idyllic places to hideaway and relax, surrounded by green.
But if you’re looking for a lively break you might try Limoges; and if you’re looking for the most interesting villages then the agricultural Corrèze region in the southeast is probably one of the best places to stay in Limousin.
What not to miss
- Be sure to pass by Old Oradour-sur-Glane in Haute-Vienn, the haunting remnants of a village massacred back in 1944 and which has since been frozen in time. A moving experience.
- Tours de Merle, the remains of a medieval castle located in a picturesque forest setting, is a beautiful spot.
- Alternatively, head to the 13th-century Limoges Cathedral or the Gothic Abbaye de Moutier d'Ahun.
Whatever you're looking for, our pick of the best places to stay in Limousin will be sure to help you find just what you need.
The best places to stay in Limousin
- La Chapelle St Martin is an elegant country house with 14 rooms, a private lake, pool and tennis facilities. Rooms are large and sophisticated and there’s a gourmet restaurant, and plenty of activities on offer.
- Hotel Joyet de Maubec boasts smart rooms, a sauna, a gym, and lovely set-menu restaurant.
- The 12th-century Chateau Roussac is a wonderfully charming spot with bespoke suites set amongst gorgeous countryside.
- The Chateau de Castel Novel is a beautiful chateau set within 25 acres of woodland, with 37 charming rooms, a restaurant specialising in local cuisine and lovely gardens, an outdoor pool and terrace, tennis courts and an orangery.
- Built in the 13th Century, the Chateau de Lissac is now a five bedroom hotel with rustic charm and gorgeous details. There’s a lovely terrace and splendid, secluded gardens.
- Chateau de la Cazine is a sublime 18th-century chateau - a dreamy escape! Indulgent rooms featuring plenty of antiques, brilliant cuisine and lovely gardens.
- Chateau du Ludaix boasts individually-styled suites and gourmet four-course dinners. A chic spot.
For great value
- The Chateau De la Greze is an 18th-century chateau converted into a five bedroom B&B with an outdoor pool, beautiful sun terrace and a hotel kitchen which also offers cooking classes in the local style. Charming, and with great access to the region’s highlights. And rooms starting from around £70 per night.
- The Hostellerie La Bergerie is a farmhouse with private villas, surrounding an outdoor pool and tennis court. The villas also have private terraces. And there’s an authentic French restaurant.
For an apartment, holiday home or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering apartment then browse through the wide selection available with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, Limousin is nicest in the summer months - the average daily temperature rises to 19°C in August.
- However, this is peak season, so for a quieter and cheaper alternative consider visiting in spring or autumn.
- Fly into Limoges Airport before taking a bus or a train on to your final destination.
- Alternatively, hire a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Limousin.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Bordeaux or Toulouse.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Limousin
Best Hotels in Limousin
Chateau de la greze Brivezac, Limousin 5 rooms from £68Country Escape - A charming location with a real sense of quiet, plus riding, cycling and foodie activites all close bySights nearby - France’s most historic sites including Rocamodor, Collonges-la-Rouge, Chateau de Castelnau, Abbaye d’AubazineCooking classes - Within the hotel kitchen, french delicacies such as foie grasTraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A lovely B&B in an 18th century chateau. Large rooms feature traditional details and all the mod cons. An outdoor pool, beautiful gardens and a sun terrace for soaking up the rays. Authentic regional dishes from the kitchen and bikes available to explore the countryside from. Charming, stylish. See More
Hostellerie La Bergerie Oradour-sur-Vayres, Limousin 7 rooms from £75Sights nearby - Historic Castles: Coussac-Bonneval, Montbrun and ChalusGreat walks - Direct access on to the GR4 walking trailFishing - Fish in The TardoireRestrictions on children - No children under 12
This farmhouse offers private villas set in 5 acres of garden. Guests can enjoy the outdoor swimming pool and tennis court. Bedrooms have modern interiors with comfortable seating area and private terrace. The restaurant offers authentic french cuisine and outdoor dining. A relaxing country escape. See More
La Chapelle St Martin Nieul, Limousin 14 rooms from £89Cooking classes - Cookery classes are held every Weds and Sat afternoonsFishing - Hotel can advise on local/on site fishingGreat walks - Hotel within 35 hectare walled parkFull of characterRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
This elegant country house is set in a stunning 35 hectare park with private lake, swimming pool and tennis facilities. Rooms are sophisticated, refined and spacious. The hotel offers guests a gourmet restaurant serving fresh, local produce. A tranquil hideaway with plenty of activities on offer. See More
Chateau de la Cazine Noth, Limousin 19 rooms from £86Romantic Break - Perfect for a romantic break in a chateau, with plush suites, decadent interiors and side by side bath tubs.Country Escape - A glorious 18th century chateau set in a seventy hectare estate, the ideal rural retreat.Fishing - Anglers will be pleased to hear the estate is home to two fishing lakes.Great walks - Head off and explore the beautiful wooded walking trails.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A spectacular 18th century chateau, in a sublime parkland setting. The plush rooms hark back to France's regal past with antique furniture and opulent decor. In the evening, guests can enjoy a cocktail in bar before sampling delicious seasonal cuisine from the restaurant. A wondrous rural hotel. See More
Chateau de Castel Novel Varetz, Limousin 37 rooms from £112Country Escape - Look out over the wild park in which the hotel sits, riding, cycling and tennis all close at handGreat walks - Hotel sits within 25 acres of woodland, so plenty of space to walkLocal markets - Local food markets during the week days, and some on eveningsKayaking - Available locally.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Chateau du Ludaix Limousin 10 rooms from £104Groups - The Chateau is available to be rented out in its entirety and is the perfect place to host a celebration.Country Escape - A wonderfully relaxing spot situated in gorgeous countryside.Great walks - Miles of walkways starting from the chateau's grounds.Kayaking - Take a relaxing ride down the River Gorges.Recommended by - Sawdays
A stunning chateau owned and run by the family of Henry Hollande. Delightfully dramatic throughout with suites named after family members and guests. Individually styled suites are filled with antiques yet have a contemporary feel. Four course meals served in the candlelit dinning room. Tres chic. See More
Hotel Joyet de Maubec Uzerche 8 rooms from £105Families - Junior suite offers a comfortable stay for families, whilst the range of outdoor excursions will keep everyone satisfiedGreat walks - The Pays d'Uzerche offers tours ranging from family friendly to the course for seasoned hikerSights nearby - Abbey Saint Pierre Uzerche and Abbey Saint Pierre de Vigeois are not to be missedKayaking - Canoeing can be arranged on the river
Chateau Roussac Roussac, Limousin from £126Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful walks on the estate and around the nearby Lac Pardoux.Restrictions on children - Adults only.Full of characterTraditionalRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Chateau de Lissac Limousin 5 rooms from £142Romantic Break - Charming rooms with thoughful details, pretty gardens and hotel can prepare a picnic for afternoon walkSights nearby - Towns of Limousin, Périgord and QuercyKayaking - Canoes Safaraid DordogneGreat walks - Around Causse Lake