Search the best hotels in Limousin
An idyllic part of south-central France, Limousin is a land of rolling pastures studded with dairy farms and pretty villages. Far from the tourist hotspots of the Loire Valley and the Dordogne, this underrated yet lovely region invites laid-back travellers to unwind in charming farmhouse B&Bs and gorgeous restored châteaux. Carefully chosen by our expert Gurus, our list of the best places to stay in Limousin showcases characterful hotels and hideaways aplenty.
Lively Limoges is brilliant for weekend breaks, striking Uzerche will delight history buffs and the tranquil villages of the Corrèze area are wonderful for keen foodies. Limoges Cathedral, dating back to the 13th Century, is stunning, as are the Gothic Abbaye de Moutier d’Ahun and the remains of the Tours de Merle. Spend your days strolling through heritage communities, tasting local produce at family-owned eateries or hiking, cycling and horse riding through the countryside. The spectacular Perigord-Limousin Regional Natural Park covers almost 1900 square km, perfect for eager adventurers of all ages to discover.
Return to one of the best places to stay in Limousin for romantic gourmet dinners or fun family afternoons of pool swims, tennis and exploring gorgeous gardens.
The Best Places to Stay in Limousin
- La Chapelle St Martin is a beautiful courtry hotel, owned and designed by Michelin-starrred Chef Gilles Dudognon. Enjoy the private lake, pool, tennis courts and stacks of activities. The 14 gorgeous rooms are bright an inviting, but the real highlight is the gastronomic Michelin starred restaurant, which prides itself on being inspired by the Limousin countryside and its artisanal producers.
- Hotel Joyet de Maubec is a recently renovated 17th-century building in the centre of Uzerche. Chic refurbished rooms blend original stone walls with contemporary art pieces. Some rooms have space for families, and the hotel offers a top-notch restaurant, gym and sauna. Stylish and perfectly located for exploring.
For a Château Escape
- Château de Castel Novel has 27 charming rooms and suites near Brive-la-Gaillarde. Tucked within 25 acres of woodland, guests are invited to enjoy long soaks in the pool, games of tennis, strolls through the orangery and superb tasting menus at Chef Geoffrey Debrach's exceptional restaurant.
- Château de Lissac dates back to the 13th Century. Now a five-bedroom hotel with rustic charm and quirky details, this is a hugely romantic bolthole for a couple's escape. Big breakfasts, a lovely terrace and splendid gardens complete the picture.
- Château de la Cazine sits within 220 acres of riverside grounds, perfect for unwinding. A striking 18th-century building, the hotel boasts indulgent rooms with antique furnishings and big roll-top tubs. The fine dining restaurant is great, and verdant gardens await exploration.
For Great Value
- Hostellerie La Bergerie is a restored farmhouse with private gîtes for groups or families with older children. The outdoor pool and tennis court are great fun, and the restaurant serves delicious seasonal cuisine based on daily set menus. A relaxed, affordable choice.
- Château de la Greze has been transformed into a five-bedroom B&B with an outdoor pool and sun terrace. Traditional interiors feature floral bedspreads and large windows set behind pretty, blue-painted shutters. An affordable choice with friendly cooking classes and bicycles to borrow.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY HOUSE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Brive-Soulliac Airport or to Limoges Airport and travel to your destination by car, bus or train from there.
- The Limousin region is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Summer is the most popular time for exploring, with temperatures peaking at around 25°C in July and August. Spring and autumn are quieter and cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Limousin.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the nearby Dordogne.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Limousin
Best Hotels in Limousin
Chateau de la greze Brivezac, Limousin 5 rooms from £68Country Escape - A charming location with a real sense of quiet, plus riding, cycling and foodie activites all close bySights nearby - France’s most historic sites including Rocamodor, Collonges-la-Rouge, Chateau de Castelnau, Abbaye d’AubazineCooking classes - Within the hotel kitchen, french delicacies such as foie grasTraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A lovely B&B in an 18th century chateau. Large rooms feature traditional details and all the mod cons. An outdoor pool, beautiful gardens and a sun terrace for soaking up the rays. Authentic regional dishes from the kitchen and bikes available to explore the countryside from. Charming, stylish. See More
Hostellerie La Bergerie Oradour-sur-Vayres, Limousin 7 rooms from £75Sights nearby - Historic Castles: Coussac-Bonneval, Montbrun and ChalusGreat walks - Direct access on to the GR4 walking trailRestaurant - Daily set menu must be booked in advanceTennis - Tennis Court at Hotel
This farmhouse offers private villas set in 5 acres of garden. Guests can enjoy the outdoor swimming pool and tennis court. Bedrooms have modern interiors with comfortable seating area and private terrace. The restaurant offers authentic french cuisine and outdoor dining. A relaxing country escape. See More
La Chapelle St Martin Nieul, Limousin 14 rooms from £89Foodies - Don't miss dining at the Michelin starred Le St Martin restaurantCooking classes - Cookery classes are held every Weds and Sat afternoonsFishing - Hotel can advise on local/on site fishingGreat walks - Hotel within 35 hectare walled parkRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
This elegant country house is set in a stunning 35 hectare park with private lake, swimming pool and tennis facilities. Rooms are sophisticated, refined and spacious. The hotel offers guests a gourmet restaurant serving fresh, local produce. A tranquil hideaway with plenty of activities on offer. See More
Chateau de la Cazine Noth, Limousin 19 rooms from £86Romantic Break - Perfect for a romantic break in a chateau, with plush suites, decadent interiors and side by side bath tubs.Country Escape - A glorious 18th century chateau set in a seventy hectare estate, the ideal rural retreat.Fishing - Anglers will be pleased to hear the estate is home to two fishing lakes.Great walks - Head off and explore the beautiful wooded walking trails.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A spectacular 18th century chateau, in a sublime parkland setting. The plush rooms hark back to France's regal past with antique furniture and opulent decor. In the evening, guests can enjoy a cocktail in bar before sampling delicious seasonal cuisine from the restaurant. A wondrous rural hotel. See More
Chateau de Castel Novel Varetz, Limousin 37 rooms from £112Country Escape - Look out over the wild park in which the hotel sits, riding, cycling and tennis all close at handGreat walks - Hotel sits within 25 acres of woodland, so plenty of space to walkLocal markets - Local food markets during the week days, and some on eveningsTennis - Tennis court on siteRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Joyet de Maubec Uzerche 8 rooms from £105Families - Junior suite offers a comfortable stay for families, whilst the range of outdoor excursions will keep everyone satisfiedGreat walks - The Pays d'Uzerche offers tours ranging from family friendly to the course for seasoned hikerSights nearby - Abbey Saint Pierre Uzerche and Abbey Saint Pierre de Vigeois are not to be missedKayaking - Canoeing can be arranged on the river
Chateau de Lissac Limousin 5 rooms from £142Romantic Break - Charming rooms with thoughful details, pretty gardens and hotel can prepare a picnic for afternoon walkSights nearby - Towns of Limousin, Périgord and QuercyKayaking - Canoes Safaraid DordogneGreat walks - Around Causse Lake