Search the best hotels in Nice
Nice is the Côte d'Azur's vibrant capital, a buzzing year-round city on a striking stretch of coastline. Glitzy Cannes and St-Tropez may vie for the attentions of visitors with their glamorous summer calendars, but Nice is a thriving melting pot with stacks to see and do as a couple, or with friends and family in the spring and autumn, too. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, reflecting the vast array of tastes and budgets of those who choose to holiday in the city. Our pick of the best places to stay in Nice reflects exactly that, offering everything from simple B&Bs to chic boutique boltholes.
A popular seaside resort since the 18th Century, Nice was once a hotspot for consumptive Brits seeking to soak up the restorative sea air. The impressive Promenade des Anglais — named for these historic holidaymakers — is now a lovely place for a stroll, some shopping and a superb seafood lunch. Hit the beach for sunbathing, swimming and sailing, or venture inland to explore Vieux Nice.
The opulent townhouses and enormous squares of the old town feel timeless. Pick a perch in Place Garibaldi for some people-watching with your coffee, choose flowers or cheese at the Cours Saleya Market, or head up to the ruins of Castle Hill for panoramic views. Cultural highlights include the Musée Massena, Saint-Nicolas Cathedral, Sainte-Reparate Cathedral, the Matisse & Picasso Museum and the Marc Chagall National Museum. Don’t miss discovering the gardens of the Phoenix Parc Floral, either.
The best places to stay in Nice offer a remarkable opportunity to discover the capital of the Côte d'Azur, teeming with life throughout the year.
The Best Places to Stay in Nice
For an Intimate Bolthole
- Le Castel Enchanté is a bougainvillea-clad Italianate villa with a lush garden, a small pool and beautiful sea views. Provençal in style, its four simple bedrooms offer excellent value and privacy. Breakfasts of home made jams and garden grown fruits are wonderful.
- Les Suites Masséna offers a small selection of modern rooms right on the imposing Place Masséna. Pick this place for the Scandi-chic interiors, soft grey and cream hues and all the mod-cons. Some suites have space for additional beds, and the best have free-standing baths.
- Villa Kilauea sits on a quiet hill outside the city with great views of Nice and the bay beyond. There are just four guestrooms, a gorgeous pool and beautiful grounds. For an intimate rural escape.
For a Seaside Stay
- Welcome Hotel is a chic seaside spot in charming Villefranche-sur-Mer, just a few minutes from Nice. Expect elegant blue-and-white interiors, private ocean-facing terraces, big breakfasts and a lively little bar for sundowners overlooking the ocean. Stroll to the pebble beach for a swim!
- Hotel Le Suisse is a smart, four-star property on Nice's Baie des Anges. Rooms are bright and airy, with wooden floors and crisp, white linens; the best suites have panoramic city & sea views from private balconies with pretty metal tables. Great for couples or solo travellers eager to hit the beach.
- Hotel La Perouse offers a surprisingly lovely stay just across the road from the beach on the far corner of the Baie des Anges. 40 of the 60 rooms have magnificent views of the sea, many with wide, sit-out terraces boasting inviting sun loungers. With a small swimming pool, courtyard eatery and bar, this is a very pretty little hotel — much more inspiring that it appears from from outside!
For Boutique Chic
- The Jay is a hip, Gatsby-themed hotel with plush blue velvet armchairs, Chesterfield sofas and bold wallpapers in 38 rooms and suites, many of which have private balconies. Well-heeled guests congregate at the swanky bar for cocktails in the evening. A boutique gem.
- Villa Otero oozes classic glamour, with velvet upholstery and potted palms in the chequered black-and-white tiled lounge, and bird-of-paradise wallpapers in the bedrooms. Breakfasts and high teas are excellent, and you're within walking distance of a plethora of bars, eateries and attractions. Very cool.
- Hotel Villa Rivoli offers a unique boutique stay in a private Belle Epoque mansion, dating back to 1890. 24 individually decorated rooms ooze classic French charm, with pretty chintz wallpapers and inviting balconies. Access to a nearby private beach is a great perk. Restful and romantic.
- La Malmaison is a sophisticated property on a tree-lined boulevard. Ideal for a couples' escape, the hotel has spacious rooms with velvet furnishings in soft grey tones, big windows and elegant wrought-iron balconies. Relax in the chic lounge or at the well-stocked bar.
- Le Windsor bursts with individuality, its rooms bedecked with whimsical murals painted by contemporary artists. Unwind in the exotic gardens, take a dip in the pool or enjoy superb spa treatments at the Moroccan hammam. An unusual stay for couples or friends, with a real sense of history.
- Negresco Hotel is an opulent Nice landmark, set moments from the coast. Kick back in splendid rooms with antique furnishings and jewel-like drapery after tucking in to innovative dishes crafted from hand-picked local produce at Michelin-starred Le Chantecler, headed by Chef Virginie Basselot. A top hotel for serious foodies.
For Families or Groups
- Palais Saleya offers cool, contemporary studios and apartments with kitchens and sitting rooms. Sleeping up to 6 guests, the apartments are ideal for family or group trips. Housed in a renovated 18th-century palace, interiors are swish and modern, with bold wallpapers and geometric prints.
- Deck Hotel is a bright, modern spot for groups of friends or families. Nautically inspired interiors promise lots of white and blue, with pops of yellow in flexible guestrooms and suites. The games room — complete with pool table and table football — will be a hit with friends and teenage guests, whilst the rooftop bar is great for unwinding. A short walk from the beach. Live music nights are great fun.
- Hotel Nice Excelsior draws inspiration from the neighbouring Nice-Ville train station, with postcard-themed walls and travel trunks in bright guestrooms. Book a family room with space for little ones, and relax at the courtyard bar after days of sightseeing together. Perfeclty located for those arriving by train.
- Hotel Gounod is an excellent family choice, with two-bedroom suites offering twin or double beds, as well as access to a rooftop pool and restaurant. Grown-ups can enjoy rejuvenating massages at the spa, whilst the whole family will adore the nearby beach club.
- Le Grimaldi fuses Belle Epoque charm with a modern twist in rooms and suites with classic wallpaper, wrought iron bedsteads and contemporary bathrooms. Family rooms sleep up to four guests, buffet breakfasts have something for everyone, and you're steps from the Promenade des Anglais and the Golden Square. Great for a group or family trip.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nice Côte d'Azur Airport and catch the shuttle bus or a taxi into the city. Alternatively, take the overnight train from Paris — book a couchette — or arrive by boat.
- The Côte d'Azur is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the warmest weather, with temperatures peaking around 27°C in June to August — although this is also the busiest time of year in France's second-most popular city. The Mistral winds keep the air fresh, and the rain showers relatively short. May or September are ideal for quieter trips, and winters are still lovely if you're not planning to swim.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Nice.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Côte d'Azur.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Nice
Best Hotels in Nice
Hotel Nice Excelsior Nice (Cote d'Azur) 42 rooms from £82City Style - With custom-made furniture and high-quality linens, this four-star hotel has lots of city styleLocal exploring - The hotel's fantastic, central location make it a perfect base for exploring NiceRomantic Break - The cosy rooms and pretty hotel garden score highly with couplesSights nearby - Visit the largest church in Nice, the Basilica of Notre-Dame de Nice, a Roman Catholic basilica
This four-star hotel is situated in the heart of Nice. The décor of the rooms draws inspiration from the neighbouring Nice-Ville train station, with postcard theme walls and travel trunk design pieces; book a family room for extra space. Enjoy a drink at the cosy courtyard bar; a charming hotel. See More
Villa Rivoli Nice 24 rooms from £86City Style - French finesse in bucket loads in this charming hotel near the sea.Value chic - Great value and stylish accommodationCooking classes - Buy produce from the local market and then master the art of French Cuisine with Christian Plumail.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Villa Otero 06000 Nice 38 rooms from £104Local exploring - Located in a quiet street close to the buzzing central square and beach, ideal for easy local exploringSights nearby - Visit the beautiful Nice Cathedral and the atmospheric Monastère de CimiezLocal markets - Wander around the Cours Saleya Market, a flower and fresh produce marketGreat walks - Go on a romantic seaside walk along the Promenade des Anglais
A charming hotel in a Belle Époque building oozing feminine glamour. Expect classic furnishings, quirky wallpapers and potted plants in the chequered black-and-white tiled lounge area, while rooms have luxurious fabrics and lovely walls featuring a gilded bird-of-paradise pattern. A gem! See More
Le Castel Enchanté Nice 4 rooms from £104Hideaway - Ideally situated in the hills above Nice, recharge your batteries in the leafy gardens before heading down to the madness.Local markets - Take a stroll through the fragrant morning Flower Market at Cours Saleya.Sights nearby - Discover the remains of the ancient Roman city of Cemelenum.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Delightful B&B in a bougainvillea-clad villa above Nice, with lush gardens, a small pool and seaviews. Very pretty Provencal bedrooms, light and airy with terracotta tones. Plenty of outdoor corners to curl up with a book. Well placed and good value for the area. Charming. See More
Windsor Nice 54 rooms from £104City Style - This stylish hotel with rooms designed by contemporary artists, is perfectly located for absorbing the nightlife and beaches.Total relaxation - Chill out in the shady garden, take a dip in the hotel pool and avail of the on site spa treaments and hammam.Great walks - You'll have great fun exploring the narrow, cobblestone pedestrian streets of Vieille Ville de Nice, just 900m from the hotel.Local markets - Check out the Monday morning antique market on the Cours Saleya.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
The Jay Nice 38 rooms from £105Local exploring - A handy location with sights and shops within easy distance, and beaches just a 5-minute stroll awayGreat walks - Head to the Parc de la Colline du Château for a romantic stroll and to admire the waterfall and great viewsLocal markets - Wander around the local flower market, Marché Aux Fleurs Cours SaleyaRomantic - Good for couples.
A charming Gatsby-themed hotel offering great breakfasts. Expect suitably bold (yet tasteful) interiors, featuring Chesterfield sofas, plush blue velvet and bold floors, with a swanky bar to boot. Rooms have great statement wallpaper in shades of turquoise and chic furniture. A quirky, fun base! See More
La Malmaison 06000 Nice 46 rooms from £112Romantic Break - This is a lovely spot in a smart part of Nice with lovely romantic views from the balconies, ideal for a couple's retreatLocal markets - Have a pleasant wander around the Marché Aux Fleurs Cours Saleya, a central flower and food marketGreat walks - Stroll around the Parc de la Colline du Château with its waterfalls and magnificent viewsRomantic - Good for couples.
Villa Kilauea Nr Nice 4 rooms from £113Country Escape - Just 10 minutes outside of Nice yet surrounded by stunning countryside - feels a million miles away from it allLocal markets - Nice’s famous Flower Market is well worth a visit.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Pool.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
Hotel Amour Nice Nice (Cote d'Azur) 38 rooms from £113Beach Life - Hotel Amour Beach is a 6 minute walk, and the private beach has the beach club, restaurant and sunbedsArtworks - Quirky artwork on the walls, a mix of contemporary and traditional, created by female artistsRetro/Vintage - Antique furniture from the 1930-50s, found in antique shops, flea markets and auction housesLocal exploring - Nestled between the beach and the city centre — ideal for ensuring the best of both worlds
An eclectic, trendy hotel close to the centre of Nice. Rooms vary in size, and feature pastel colours, antique furnishings and funky artworks. Traditional French cuisine is served at the restaurant, plus there's a private beach club and rooftop lounge with pool. A great spot for exploring. See More
Le Grimaldi 06000 Nice 47 rooms from £117Great walks - Head to the Parc Phoenix and the Parc de la Colline du Château for some lovely park strollsLocal markets - Have a leisurely wander around the Cours Saleya Market, a flower marketRomantic - Good for couples.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Deck Hotel Nice 65 rooms from £117Local exploring - Stay in the heart of beautiful Nice to explore its attractions and beachesLocal markets - Wander around the colourful local flower market, Marché Aux Fleurs Cours SaleyaGreat walks - Embark into the old town and enjoy exploring its winding, cobbled streetsFull of character
A charming nautical-themed hotel set just steps from the coast. Bright rooms feature polished wooden floors, large sash windows and tones of bright blues and whites. The rooftop bar serves up superb cocktails and healthy breakfasts are on offer. A convenient and chic choice. See More
Hotel Gounod, Nice Nice 43 rooms from £118Views - Stunning views from the rooftop deck and pool.Restaurant - Panoramic views from the roof top restaurant.Traditional - 1920s Belle Epoque architecture.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Negresco Hotel Nice 125 rooms from £125Sights nearby - Visit Promenade du Paillon or the Ancient Fort of Mont BoronGreat walks - Take a lesiurely stroll arounf the Albert 1st GardensOpulentSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Travel
The luxurious Negresco Hotel is centrally located in Nice, a short distance from the beach. Feel like a VIP in their opulently decorated and spacious rooms which fuse antique furniture with bright colours-a unique experience! Be sure to try their Michelin 2* Le Chantecler restaurant. A divine stay! See More
Welcome Hotel Nice (Villefranche-sur-Mer) 35 rooms from £129Beach Life - Beautiful Plage de Marinières is a five minute walk away and a free shuttle will take you to the private beach Plage de PassableWriting a novel - Significantly, acclaimed 20th-century poet Jean Cocteau was so inspired by Villefranche-sur-Mer, that he settled in this hotelValue chic - Beautiful historic façade, stylish rooms and breathtaking views of the French Riviera creates the feel of a movie set!Active Holiday - Located right on the bay of Villefranche-sur-Mer, paddleboarding, kayaking and more is just on your doorstep
This chic, intimate hotel exudes old-school charm. The peachy façade, blue shutters and sea view rooms are utterly picturesque. Elegant bedrooms have a traditional feel, yet are fresh and unfussy. Perfectly located in the heart of the postcard-pretty town this is a convenient and stylish stay. See More
Hotel La Perouse Nice 56 rooms from £129Beach Life - Lovely seafront hotel well placed to explore the city, perched right on a cliff and just steps from the beach.Sights nearby - Marvel at the the monastery of Cimiez and beautiful rose garden overlooking the city and Castle Hill.Local markets - Very close to the Marche du Fleurs, a vibrant and colourful way to spend your morning.Views - Great views of Nice and the Bay of AngelsRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Tablet
Charming and discreet hotel with pool set back from the Promenade des Anglais with classic Bay views. Well positioned for the port, markets and downtown, the beach is across the road. Lovely patio restaurant and pretty bedrooms, the best with terraces. Well positioned to explore the city. See More
Les Suites Massena Nice 3 rooms from £157Local exploring - Ideally located at the start of Nice's old town - explore the cobbled streets lined with boutique shops and restaurantsFamilies - This small family-run property caters for families with rollout beds available for children and large roomsShort break - Nice Côte d'Azur Airport is less than 4 miles away - perfect for a quick escapeSights nearby - Located a short walk from the city's main attractions including Massena Square, Allianz Riviera Stadium and MAMAC
A plush and modern hotel featuring large soundproof suites offering guests both calm and comfort in the heart of Nice. Rooms have a Scandi-chic style with natural materials set against soft grey hues and the best have free-standing baths. A delicious continental breakfast is served. Superb! See More
Palais Saleya Nice (Côte d'Azur) 26 rooms from £186Families - The self-catering apartments are perfect for families travelling with children and can accommodate up to 6 peopleLocal exploring - Situated in the heart of the old town, this hotel makes a great base for exploring the sights of NiceCity Style - Located in a heritage building in the heart of the city, this hotel has plenty of local styleGreat walks - Explore the charming alleys of the old town neighbouring the hotel on a long walk
This boutique hotel occupies a renovated 18th-century palace in the heart of Nice. Suites are dressed in a contemporary style with bold design pieces and bright prints. All suites offer separate living space and spacious self-catering apartments are available for groups. A unique and stylish hotel. See More
Hotel Le Suisse Nice (Cote d'Azur) 38 rooms from £272Beach Life - This hotel is perfect for a beach holiday; guests can take advantage of a deal on parasols and sun loungers at the beachLocal exploring - Situated close to the promenade and the city centre, this hotel is in a great location for exploring NiceCity Style - With its clean, pared-back interior design, this hotel has reams of Cote d'Azur charmSights nearby - Visit the Castle Hill in Nice, accessible via the Promenade des Anglais a few metres from the hotel. Take the lift up to the top
This charming, four-star hotel is situated on the seafront in Nice. Rooms are bright and airy, with wooden floors and crisp, white linens. The best suites offer a private terrace; book a Privilege room for panoramic sea views from the French windows. Relax in the friendly hotel bar. A stylish stay. See More