Search the best hotels in Rocamadour
The spectacular village of Rocamadour lies in the Lot department of the Midi Pyrenees. For a thousand years it has been an important place of pilgrimage – built on the site of a shrine to the ‘black’ Madonna. It became renowned as a place of healing and was a stop on the route to Santiago de Compostela in North West Spain. The best places to stay in Rocamadour are ideal for experiencing this dramatic destination, whether they're located in the town itself or the surrounding area.
Things not to miss:
- The village consists of one narrow paved street, lined with medieval houses and passing through the various ancient gateways like the Porte du Figuier and the Porte Salmon.
- The ‘Grand Escalier’ of 216 steps leads to the sanctuaries above – Chapelle Notre Dame, Basilica Saint Sauver, Saint Michel chapel, Palais des Eveques and ultimately l’Hospitalet – and the stunning views of the old town.
- Near Rocamadour is the Gouffre de Padirac, an extraordinary system of caves where one can take an other-worldly boat trip through ‘lac de la pluie’, the ‘Grand Dome’ and numerous further caverns of amazing scale.
- There are also caves by the village itself – ‘Grotte Prehistorique des Merveilles’ with 20,000 year old paintings.
- Also worth a visit is ‘Maison des Abeilles’, a museum of beekeeping.
- Children will appreciate the ‘Foret des singes’ where over 100 monkeys live relatively free range.
- There is also the medieval ‘Moulin de Cougnaguet’ mill on the river which is still operational.
The town is an exceptionally popular destination during the busy summer months, so if you want to ensure that you reserve one of the best places to stay in Rocamadour, you'll need to be organised and book early.
For central location
- Formerly an eighteenth century farmhouse, Le Troubadour is an elegantly appointed and tastefully decorated three star hotel, a few minutes walk from the centre. Added bonuses include an inviting outdoor pool and terrace restaurant.
- Les Vielles Tours is a seventeenth century manor house in the hamlet of Lafage above the Rocamadour canyon and enjoying spectacular views. Interiors are chic, the food is great and a large pool is ideal for relaxing after a day exploring the area.
- La Terrasse is a stunning converted castle in Meyronne with breathtaking views over the Dordogne river. This stylish hotel boasts a gourmet restaurant , library and outdoor pool.
- Domaine de la Rhue has five spacious and comfortable rooms within its beautifully restored rustic barn.
- Manoir de Malagorse, a nineteenth century manor house turned B&B, is light and airy and filled with furniture specially selected from local markets. The rooms are spacious and luxurious. Truffle hunting weekends are available!
For excellent value
- Le Relais St. Anne is a charming hotel and restaurant in the historic town of Martel, set within its own picturesque garden with lovely outdoor pool. Doubles start from as little as €80 per night.
For an apartment or villa
- For those interested in getting some place all to themselves, have a look at the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airports to Rocamadour are Brive (26 miles) and Toulouse (82 miles).
- The best way to explore the region around Rocamadour is by car, so visit our online car hire partners Rentalcars.
- The summer is a great time to visit Rocamadour but to beat the crowds, we recommend visiting in September or October.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Rocamadour.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
- Alternatively widen the remit and check out all our recommendations in the Lot.
Monthly Weather in Rocamadour
Best Hotels in Rocamadour
Le Troubadour Rocamadour, Lot 10 rooms from £73Families - Children's menus in the restaurant, baby sitting available.Sights nearby - Chapelle Notre-Dame, Grottes de Lacave.Kayaking - On the Dordogne River.Restaurant - Local French cuisine.
A traditional stone building with blue shutters and ivy clad terraces in the heart of the Dordogne. Charming rooms have stone floors and iron bedsteads. Local produce served in the restaurant, outdoor pool, tennis court, billiards, and many activities around. A fantastic spot for families. See More
Les Vieilles Tours Rocamadour, Lot 15 rooms from £65Views - Panoramic views of the surrounding valleys.Local exploringRestaurant - Inventive regional cuisine.TraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Le Relais St Anne Martel, Lot 14 rooms from £69Private Hot Tub - Some of the bedrooms have hot tub bath tubsSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated poolTraditionalLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
La Terrasse Meyronne, Lot 15 rooms from 90Romantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.
Domaine de la Rhue Rocamadour 5 rooms from £82Sights nearby - A few mins from the pilgrimage of Rocamadour and the villages of oubressac, Carennac, Autoire, Martel, Collonge-la-Rouge, Domme.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.
A country house B&B in the middle of a Natural Park. Charming stable-conversion bedrooms and one apartment have lots of space, attractive fabrics, and traditional materials. Hearty breakfasts, an outdoor pool, and lots of good restaurants in the area. Excellent value for local exploring. See More
Manoir de Malagorse Cuzance, Lot 6 rooms from £103Families - The apartment is ideal for families, with a kitchen to prepare picnics before setting off riding, cycling or on a truffle huntCooking classes - During season, enjoy truffle hunt with trained dogs, visit a local market and then return to hotel to prepare a meal with themFishing - Trout, pike and carp fishing in river Lot. Hotel can advise on local regulationsGreat walks - Through the Natural Park in QuercyRecommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel, Fodors