Search the best hotels in Toulouse
The charming, pink tinged buildings of central Toulouse are what give it the moniker 'La Ville Rose'. They stand close together, beside winding, cobbled lanes few cars dare to attempt and soe of the building are the best places to stay in Toulouse and making this a wonderful place to explore on foot. The charming Place du Capitole is at Toulouse's rose heart: a lovely square, lined with important halls, churches and municipal buildings.
The Garonne River splits the city in two with most of the main sights on the right bank between the tree lined river and the Canal du Midi which flows around the city's north east. Indeed, one of the best ways to view the city's charms is by barge along the river!
The Toulouse table is rich and earthy with sausages, foie gras, duck confit and truffles and also influenced by the other border - brandade de more and tapenade. For dessert you could visit Georges Larnicol on the Place du Capitole.
Toulouse has some excellent second hand shops with some of the best around Rue Peyrolieres. There is a flea market in the Allees Francois Verdier on the first weekend of every month. On Thursdays a book market in Place Arnaud-Bernard.
What Not To Miss
- Most visitors start their visit in the Place du Capitole and wander outwards. It won't take long to spot the 17th Century Carmelite Chapel on Rue de Perigord, which has some wonderful murals. Or the Basilica St. Sernin, built in the 13th Century - and an important stop along the Camino de Santiago.
- Heading towards the river, one of the loveliest streets to wander along is the Rue Emile Cartailhac: lined with charming cafes and grand residences.
- Another major church is the Cathedrale St. Etienne, whose fame is in part derived from the wonderful mishmash of its architecture. Some of it has been here since 844AD, but more elaborate bits have been added on at several different points - creating an interesting Gothic/Romanesque/Flamboyant wonder.
- These days Toulouse is one of Europe's major aerospace centres. And if you are interested in space - or planes or flight of any kind, then La Cite de l'Espace will probably be an interesting place to spend a couple of hours.
- The Musée des Augustins is an impressive gallery, home to a Rubens, some Rodins and several prints by Toulouse's most famous son, Toulouse-Lautrec. Or for something more modern there's Les Abattoirs - yes, the building was a slaughterhouse in the same way that the Tate Modern was a power plant.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Toulouse range from the cheap and cheerful, perfect for those on a tight budget, to a super cool design hotel in a very central spot.
For a City Break
- If you want to be close to the Place du Capitole, the Hotel du Taur is one of the best places to stay in Toulouse - it's only a few metres away. Converted from an elegant, rose brick 19th Century townhouse and with rooms less than £50 a night it is ideal for those on a tight budget.
- If you like the idea of being close to the river, the Hotel Garonne should fit the bill. The decor is warm - all deep reds and teak, with an oriental twist.
- If you prefer things ultra modern the Hotel La Grand Balcon is the property for you. A super cool design hotel with sleek, sky-themed bedrooms, modernist paintings and every comfort technology can bring you. It's also one of the best places to stay in Toulouse if you're looking for something a bit different.
- Hotel des Beaux Arts ticks all the right boxes: it's centrally located, with stylish interiors and a good restaurant to boot. They even offer guests free bike use to help you see all that Toulouse has to offer!
- Converted from a convent, the Grand Hotel de L'Opera now has much grander furniture than in its past life. Though the building - directly opposite the Theatre du Capitole - is still as beautiful and private as ever.
Sausages and more!
- Atout Carmes is one of the best places to stay in Toulouse for foodies. It runs cooking classes! More of a B&B than a hotel there are kitchenettes in each of the two rooms and two suites. This is ideal if you prefer a self-catering option.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Toulouse is nicest weather-wise in the summer, with the average daily temperature reaching 22°C in July and August.
- This however is peak tourist season, so if you fancy a quieter and potentially cheaper alternative consider coming in May or September.
- Visitors can fly into Toulouse-Blagnac Airport, located 11km west of the city, before hopping on a shuttle bus to the centre.
- Ryanair fly direct from Stansted to Toulouse, easyJet from Gatwick and British Airways from Heathrow.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Toulouse.
- If you want to extend your search take a look at our recommendations in the Lot or Dordogne.
- Alternatively, feel free to call or email one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Toulouse
Best Hotels in Toulouse
Hotel Ibis Styles Toulouse Capitole Toulouse 38 rooms from £60Local exploring - Overlooking the Place du Capitole, this hotel is ideally located to explore the historic centre by footLocal markets - Wander through Capitole de Toulouse and browse the art exhibitions and markets held thereSights nearby - Stroll down and visit the Basilique Saint-Sernin and the quays of the Garonne
A chic modern hotel set within a grand 19th-century building with an unbeatable central location besides Capitole de Toulouse. Spacious rooms are uniformly styled with pale wooden floors, whitewashed walls, and large black and white photos. A smart city crashpad offered at very reasonable rates. See More
Mama Shelter Toulouse Toulouse 120 rooms from £69Families - Parents can opt for a family room at this hotel; the useful amenities like in-room films means that kids will love staying hereLocal exploring - Explore the picturesque streets of Toulouse from this well-located hotel, perfect for discovering the cityCity Style - With well-appointed rooms and a central location, this hotel has lots of chic city styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Basilique Saint-Sernin de Toulouse, a famous historic abbey and national monument
This vibrant hotel is tucked away behind the facade of a former cinema on Boulevard Lazare Carnot in Toulouse. Contemporary guestrooms have innovative design, with an illuminated frame headboard, monochrome carpets and splashes of bold colour - a stylish and cosy base for exploring an exciting city. See More
Hotel Albert 1er Toulouse 47 rooms from £69Local exploring - This hotel is the perfect starting point for local exploring in Toulouse, with the city's top attractions located close byCity Style - Set in the heart of Toulouse in a pretty, period property, this hotel has lots of local city charmFamilies - Family rooms are great value for parents travelling with childrenSights nearby - Walk to the impressive Place du Capitole and its Théâtre du Capitole opera house, one of the most famous landmarks in the city
'Slow tourism' is at the heart of this boutique hotel in Toulouse. The hotel's central location makes it the perfect base for local sightseeing, and bikes are available to help guests explore the city in an eco-friendly way. Start the day with a fresh, locally sourced breakfast before setting out. See More
Hors Scene Toulouse 2 rooms from £78Short fly break - Convenient to get to, and with cultural activities abound, this is ideal for a weekend escapeLocal exploring - Offering a central location from which to discover ToulouseLocal markets - Peruse the regional produce on display at Victor Hugo marketLandmark - Comes with a reputation.
In the heart of Toulouse, this convenient two-room guesthouse is charmingly down-to-earth. The rooms have plenty of natural light and en-suite bathrooms. With breakfast included and a garden terrace outdoors, Hors Scene is a cosy base ideally positioned for exploring the city. See More
Hotel Garonne Toulouse 14 rooms from £82Sights nearby - Located in the heart of the old town.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Atout Carmes Toulouse 2 rooms from £100City StyleCooking classes - Check for timings.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel des Beaux Arts Toulouse 19 rooms from £113City Style - Located in the former fine arts school of Toulouse, and now exhibiting the work of local artists, this hotel is chic and stylishRomantic Break - Couples love the unique atmosphere of this contemporary hotel and the romantic views over the Garonne RiverLocal exploring - Located just above the old town in Toulouse, this hotel is in a great location for local exploringGreat walks - Wander round the Jardin Royal, a beautiful public park remodelled in the 1860s; it now features a lake and exotic plants
This four-star, boutique hotel is located in Toulouse in the former fine arts school. Having undergone a loving restoration, the individually styled rooms boast a blend of classic and contemporary interiors with unique artworks; book the Cosmos Room for a cosy private terrace. A unique design hotel. See More
Grand Hotel de L'Opera Toulouse 54 rooms from £169Sights nearby - Perfect location bang in the centre of town.SpaLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Le Grand Balcon Toulouse 31 rooms from £182City StyleSights nearby - Great location in the centre of townDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet