Search the best hotels in Tours
Known as the gateway to the châteaux and wineries of the Loire Valley, the ancient Roman city of Tours fizzes with life, and makes for a brilliant holiday base. Accommodation options in the city and surrounding villages are wide-ranging, including everything from cosy townhouse B&Bs to imposing countryside châteaux. Whilst some of our top picks are set near the historic centre of the city, many of the best places to stay in Tours are historic properties nestled in verdant gardens, just a short drive away.
Begin your explorations in old Tours, popping into the Cathedral of Saint-Gatien, admiring the impressive collection of artwork at the Musée des Beaux-Arts, and perusing antiques and French fashion on the Rue Nationale. The Touraine region also specialises in crisp, dry white wines. Sample and savour top local bounty at Les Halles, Tours’ covered food market, with a side of goat’s cheese or flavoursome rabbit. The Touraine Wine Museum offers tastings, excellent sample sales, and an in-depth history of the area’s 69 UNESCO-protected vineyards. To stay in the hub of the wine country, look towards Vouvray, just east of Tours.
If you're in the Loire to catch a glimpse of the region’s world-famous châteaux, look no further. Many of the best-known — Château de Chenonceau and Château de Chambord — and the most beautiful — Château d'Usse and Château d'Azay-le-Rideau — are within easy reach. Guided visits of the Château de Clos Lucé are fascinating, with an intriguing focus on the work of Leonardo da Vinci. The Priory of Saint-Cosmas and the ruins of the Basilica of St. Martins will also be of particular interest to history buffs.
The region’s other big draw is its cycling. Hire a bike and follow the picturesque Loire à Vélo trail to discover the lovely landscape on two wheels. There are also ample opportunities for long walks, horse riding and kayaking.
Whether you’re looking to kick back in the sunshine as a family, to taste terrific wine or to go cycling through the countryside, the best places to stay in Tours promise an enchanting place to unwind.
The Best Places to Stay in Tours
For a City Stay
- Hotel l'Adresse is a pretty townhouse in the heart of medieval Tours, ideal for exploring. Featuring generously-proportioned guestrooms with wooden beams and big cosy beds, as well as a bright breakfast room, this is an excellent value pick for a city stay.
- Hotel Oceania is a large, luxury hotel with swish, contemporary rooms in the city centre. Stay here for the sumptuous spa, romantic restaurant and great location. A chic city pad for couples.
- Hotel Mirabeau offers great value accommodation in a centrally-located townhouse. Airy rooms sleep two to five guests, making this a top family choice, there's a lovely terrace and good bike storage for cyclists. Friendly and laid-back.
For Families or Groups
- Le Prieuré is a charming B&B north of Tours, with three spacious rooms, lovely riverside gardens and a superb outdoor pool. A former 12th-century monastery, the property has a fascinating history and heaps of charm. Secluded, laid-back and perfect for families or groups, who can book the whole house!
- Domaine des Bidaudières, close to the famous wine village of Vouvray, offers traditionally-decorated rooms in an elegant, eighteenth-century residence set within 15 hectares of grounds. Book a two-bedroom cottage if travelling as a family or group, unwind by the pool, taste local wines and visit marvellous nearby châteaux. Brilliant for big events, too, as there's lots of space for a party.
- Château de Beaulieu is a laid-back family or foodie pick, with a well-regarded gourmet restaurant, onsite spa and flexible adjoining room options in an impressive property close to Tours. With direct access to the Loire à Vélo cycling route, this is the perfect pick for groups of cyclists, too.
- Art Hotel is a super-slick property for art and design lovers, with ultra-modern rooms and communal spaces featuring a monochrome palette and dramatic lighting. Popular for weddings, the hotel also hosts regular art exhibitions. A seriously trendy Loire Valley choice for couples.
- Bagatelle promises a romantic rural escape, with grand, antique-filled rooms in a striking eighteenth-century house. Expect pretty courtyards, verdant gardens and a big swimming pool, as well as generous breakfasts. A couples' retreat close to the wineries of Vouvray.
- Château de Jallanges was built by King Louis XI in 1465. Recently renovated, the property now boasts whimsical rooms which ooze old-school charm, and is an excellent couples' pick for a relaxed hideaway. The quirky indoor pool is a highlight, and the famous vineyards of Vouvray are nearby.
- La Mère Hamard is a charming restaurant with rooms in picturesque Semblançay, 10 miles from Tours. The 11 stylish rooms and suites are spread across two ivy-clad buildings, with space for couples or families. Chef-owner Olivier Loize crafts delectable dishes, fusing local market produce with exotic spices from around the globe. An intimate gourmet delight.
- Les Hautes Roches is a spectacular property, with gorgeous rooms carved into the rock overlooking the Loire River. The Michelin-starred eatery specialises in fresh seafood and promises superb river views. A romantic, luxurious foodie gem with very unique architecture.
- Château de la Bourdaisière offers everything from cycling, tennis and swimming to cookery classes and nature trails through the forested grounds of the striking 15th-century property. The 29 sumptuous rooms and suites are great for families or couples, though the real stand-outs are the gourmet eatery and the Tomato Bar in the Dahlia Garden. Speak to the chef for organic gardening tips and recipe ideas as you savour creative dishes using the freshest tomatoes.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tours Val de Loire, 5 miles from the city centre. Travel by bus or taxi to your destination from there.
- The Loire Valley is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- You can expect the warmest weather between June and September. For a quieter trip and great hotel deals, come in the spring (April - May).
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Orléans.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Loire Valley.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tours
Best Hotels in Tours
Hotel Mirabeau, Tours Tours (Loire) 23 rooms from £58Value chicSights nearby - Located in the centre of Tours. Perfect base for exploring the Loire ValleyLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel l'Adresse Tours 17 rooms from £69Value chicSights nearby - In the heart of mediaeval ToursLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Château de Beaulieu, Tours Tours 17 rooms from £84Sights nearby - 10 mins from Tours city centre and easy access to all the Loire chateauxLocal markets - Good for local colour.TennisTraditionalRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Art Hotel, Loire Valley Rochecorbon, Loire Valley from £110Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Four poster beds - For romantics.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Spa
Château de La Bourdaisière Montlouis sur Loire, Loire Valley 29 rooms from £111Total relaxation - A great spot for unwinding in style, from the heated pool with views, to the tennis courts and well maintained gardens.Value chic - Great value for money considering the historic setting, elegant interiors, fantastic location and spoiling amenities.Great walks - Surrounded by 15 kms of forest, with plenty of well marked trails for nature lovers.Tennis - Guests should make the most of the on site courts and enjoy a friendly knockabout.
A picturesque fifteenth-century castle, surrounded by landscaped gardens and parklands in the lovely Loire Valley. Rooms exude old-world charm, with exposed wooden beams, checkered floors and smatterings of family antiques. A chic and charming hotel in an unbeatable location. See More
Hotel Oceania Tours 91 rooms from £114Total relaxation - For a city centre break try out the modern spa boasting a trendy stainless steel pool, Jacuzzi, hammam and fitness room.Local exploring - Right in the heart of the city, well placed for getting around and conveniently placed near the train station.Sights nearby - A number of castles in the area that make lovely day trips including the Chateau du Rivau and Chateau de Saumar.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.
A luxury hotel with contemporary interiors and a great positioning within Tours. Elegant rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, crisp white linen and contemporary chandeliers. The gourmet restaurant is the perfect spot for romantic evenings, and the modern spa is a complete city haven. See More
Domaine des Bidaudières Vouvray, Loire Valley 5 rooms from £117FamiliesGroupsSwimming Pool - Large outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Chateau de Jallanges Tours 5 rooms from £133Country Escape - A grand rural proeperty boasting a quiet spot in acres of beautifully manicured gardens.Great walks - Embark on long scenic walks starting straight from the property.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor poolFull of character
A striking chateau built in 1465 by Louis XI. Set in a scenic part of the Loire Valley the current owners have entirely renovated the property following its disrepair. Five traditional (yet whimsically eccentric) rooms are spacious and characterful. A unique and historical stay. See More
Bagatelle Tours (37210 Vouvray) 4 rooms from £139Country Escape - An idyllic Loire Valley estate ideal for a refreshing country retreatSights nearby - Head to some famous chateaux such as Amboise, Chinon, Chenonceau, within easy driving distanceGreat walks - Go on one of the many beautiful walks and marked trails around the houseSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely 18th-century stately home, with a pool, surrounded by romantic courtyards and pretty gardens. Elegant interiors feature original plasterwork and grand fireplaces, and the spacious rooms are kitted out with antiques and classic style furniture. A rural delight, and great breakfasts too! See More
Les Hautes Roches Tours 14 rooms from £195Foodies - The restaurant has a Michelin star and specialises in seafood.Sights nearby - Exlore the many historic chateaux of the LoireQuirky - Some rooms have been hewn from the cavesRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Perched on a cliff and overlooking the Loire, this hotel is entirely unique. Carved into the rock, bedrooms are exciting and elegantly decorated with complementing fabrics and fittings. There is a fine restaurant with views of the river. Fresh seafood and local produce. A treasure on the Loire. See More