Search the best hotels in Tbilisi
Nestling in the deep, wide green valley of the Mtkvari River is the picturesque and historic capital of Georgia, Tbilisi. On the right bank of the river lies a beautiful cobblestone Old Town of winding lanes, leafy squares, ornate churches and balconied houses with blue-tiled facades - all sitting in the shadow of the venerable and ancient 4th century Narikala Fortress - a place where smalltime local traders sell fruit, cheese and nuts brought from the countryside, and 500-year-old bathhouses fed by the natural hot springs pepper the hillsides. Coupled with that, there's another side of Tbilisi waiting to be unearthed by eager explorers, ravenous culture-vultures and backpackers, a vibrant arts scene of trendy bars and manic clubs, contemporary art exhibitions and endlessly cool, erratic and overflowing flea markets selling everything from Soviet memorabilia and antiques to artworks and handmade jewellery, and chic cafes sitting side-by-side with old and dusty bookstores. The perfect place for a cool weekend break or a sightseeing holiday, Tbilisi is an undiscovered pearl on the tourist map. Our collection of the best places to stay in Tbilisi feature everything from trendy (but cheap) post-industrial backpacker hotels to chic luxury boutiques.
What not to miss
- Walk up to the rocky outcrop crowned with the stark and muscular Narikala Fortress, originally built in the 4th century, that looms over the city like a dark and sprawling god.
- Gently stroll down Agmashenebeli Avenue, a beautiful historic street in the Old Town.
- Visit the Simon Janashia Museum of Georgia, which features archaeological remains dating from the Paleolithic period to the Middle Ages.
- Immerse yourself in classical art at the Art Museum of Georgia.
- Bathe in the hot-spring-fed-waters of the Orbeliani Baths, dating back to the 17th century.
- Trek to Fig Gorge and marvel at the sight of the gushing waterfall.
- Be sure to check out Dry Bridge, an endlessly cool flea market featuring everything from local art exhibitions to antiques.
Picturesque, bubbling with life and art and caked in layers of history, Tbilisi is perfect for backpackers and couples alike. Find out more by browsing our list of the best places to stay in Tbilisi.
The best places to stay in Tbilisi
Value for money
- Fabrika Tbilisi is a is wonderfully situated a short walk from Tbilisi's main sights. Housed in a former sewing factory, this boutique spot excellently combines original industrial features (think exposed concrete walls) with colourful furnishings. Dorms and private rooms available. A great value stay!
- Stamba Hotel is a chic hotel set in a converted industrial building in central Tbilisi. Guestrooms feature cosy carpets, plush soft furnishings and unique design pieces; book the luxury Aviator Suite for generous living space in a mustard palette. Unwind in the smart hotel café; a stylish, modern city hotel.
- Rooms Hotel brims with chic modernity and hits top marks for its superb blend of style and comfort. Rooms are luxurious and spacious with ornate wallpapers and minimalist furnishings. Enjoy a cocktail in the bar and then a sumptuous meal in the hotel's fusion restaurant. A Georgian gem.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- If you're flying from the UK, Georgian Airways now runs flights from Gatwick to Tbilisi International Airport, and from most major European hubs.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer - you want to take advantage of the gorgeous views of the valley - though at its height, it can reach up to 32 degrees - scorching! If you don't fancy burning in that kind of heat, visit between May and June, when the temperature darts between 17 and 28 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Georgia
- or for the Georgian countryside, see our collection of the best places to stay in Stepantsminda
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Tbilisi
Fabrika Tbilisi Tbilisi 98 rooms from £31
Fabrika Tbilisi is wonderfully situated a short walk from Tbilisi's main sights. Housed in a former sewing factory, this boutique spot excellently combines original industrial features (think exposed concrete walls) with colourful furnishings. Dorms and private rooms available. A great value stay!Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the Presidential Palace, Heroes Square and Sameba Cathedral-all less than a mile away from Fabrika TbilisiGreat walks - Head over to Tbilisi Botanical Garden or simply meander through the city's streets getting a feel for the placeFull of characterQuirky - An experience!Recommended by - Tablet
Stamba Hotel Tbilisi (T'bilisi 0108) 42 rooms from £200
This chic hotel is set in a converted industrial building in central Tblisi. Guestrooms feature cosy carpets, plush soft furnishings and unique design pieces; book the luxury Aviator Suite for generous living space in a mustard palette. Unwind in the smart hotel café; a stylish, modern city hotel.Local exploring - With a great, central location in Tblisi, this hotel is a perfect base for local exploringRomantic Break - Book a luxury suite for added indulgence on your next couples' city breakCity Style - With chic, contemporary interiors, this hotel has reams of city styleSights nearby - Visit a range of sights local to the hotel, from the National Opera Theatre to the former Parliament of Georgia
Rooms Hotel Tbilisi 141 rooms from £218
Brimming with chic modernity, Rooms Hotel Tbilisi hits top marks for its superb blend of style and comfort. Rooms are luxurious and spacious with ornate wallpapers and minimalist furnishings. Enjoy a cocktail in the bar and then a sumptuous meal in the hotel's fusion restaurant. A Georgian gem.Romantic Break - With deluxe suites oozing intimacy and indulgence, and an excellent restaurant, it's perfect for a romantic holiday.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Rose Revolution Square.Local markets - Browse the local markets of Tbilisi.Recommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet