Search the best hotels in Antigua Guatemala
About Antigua Guatemala
Antigua Guatemala is a beautiful place; its cobbled streets are lined with colourful Baroque-style houses beyond which the peaks of volcanoes can be seen. It is no wonder it's UNESCO-listed. There is a wide selection of good accommodation to be found in Antigua Guatemala, however we lean towards the luxe-boutiques in our recommendations for the best places to stay in Antigua Guatemala.
Founded in 1543 by the Spanish, the city was the original capital of Guatemala. Unfortunately, an earthquake in the 17th century destroyed much of the city and although it was mostly rebuilt there are a few ruins found strewn across the city. Dotted with impressive churches and bustling squares there is plenty to keep you busy. Wandering the streets and enjoying the architecture is obviously the real-draw here.
The El Arco de Santa Catalina (Santa Catalina Arch) is part of the 17th century nunnery and was built in order to allow women to cross the road without being seen is particularly beautiful. For a great vantage of the whole city, it is worth strolling up to the Cerro de la Cruz park which is either a 15-minute walk or a short taxi drive. For something a little more modern the contemporary art sculpture park in Santo Domingo Del Cerro is worthy of a stroll.
A beautiful city to visit with an excellent choice of accommodation. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Antigua Guatemala to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Antigua Guatemala
- Meson Panza Verde is a chic boutique hotel boasting the finest restaurant in town. Atmospheric throughout, you can expect warm terracotta hues, opulent chandeliers, Cuban antiques and porcelain tiles. Feast on gourmet cuisine and gently sway to live music.
- San Rafael Hotel is a gorgeous boutique hotel in the historic centre of Antigua. There are just seven beautifully designed rooms, traditional in style, with exposed stonework, antique furniture and beamed ceilings. A tranquil garden is the perfect spot to unwind with a drink after a day's exploring.
- El Convento Boutique Hotel is a blissful boutique hotel steeped in history and set within tranquil walled gardens. Beautiful rooms feature beamed ceilings, antique style furniture and large glass windows leading onto the gardens. The restaurant is superb and the location ideal for exploring the historic city.
- Pousada del Angel is a small boutique hotel in an original Spanish colonial Casona. Individually styled rooms feature Mayan textiles, antique furniture, wooden floors and plenty of charm. A chic rooftop terrace is the perfect spot to unwind with a drink and a small pool is the icing on the cake. Intimate and authentic.
The Most Luxurious Hotels in Antique Guatemala
- Pensativo House Hotel is a luxury hotel packed full of charm. Traditionally styled rooms feature beamed ceilings, antique rugs and wooden floors. Sample Guatemalan cuisine in the neoclassical terrace restaurant complete with mountain views.
- Hotel Dona Leonor is a gloriously converted palace which has retained all the glamour of its former years. Enormous rooms feature antique furniture, chandeliers, tiled floors, richly textured rugs and intricately carved ceilings. A leafy central courtyard is an ideal spot to unwind with a good book.
The Best Places to stay in Antigua Guatemala for Great Value
- Casa Encantada is a charming guesthouse in the historic centre of town. Traditionally dressed rooms feature white washed walls, beamed ceilings and antique furniture. A pretty garden and small pool is the ideal spot to grab a moment of quiet.
- Good Hotel Antigua is, as its name suggests, 'good'. Offering both style and luxury in the heart of the city yet with ethical practices at the centre of this property. All profits are given to local charities and staff are selected from the local community in order to increase employment opportunities.
For an apartment or house
- If you’d prefer a self catering option, then we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Antigua Guatemala is a year round destination with consistently warm weather. However, the best months to visit are from November to April which is the dry season. But don't be put off visiting in the 'wet season' as rain showers don't tend to last too long. Antigua also plays host to a number of events from the heavily attended Semana Santa celebrations held every Easter to the International Jazz Festival which usually takes from the end of Feb to mid March. Both fascinating times to plan a trip and when you can see the whole city spring to life.
- Fly to Guatemala City Airport which is located just 40km from the city. Travel to Antigua Guatemala by taxi or bus.
- If you would like the freedom of your own car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to book?
Best Hotels in Antigua Guatemala
Good Hotel Antigua Antigua Guatemala 20 rooms from £74Eco break - The hotel donates all its profits to local charities and only uses local labour to help boost the economyCity Style - With sleek Scandi style this hotel gives a contemporary offering in this historic cityGreat walks - Hike up Cerro de la Cruz and enjoy stunning vistas over the town's signature Baroque ArchitectureLocal markets - Visit the city's local markets and pick-up some of the region's unique and colourful handicraftsRecommended by - Tablet
A traditional building, a central location, contemporary design and a very good ethos; this is an undeniably attractive stay. With all profits going to local charities and everything from the staff to the furniture kept entirely local. There's also a hip tapas bar. Nothing's been missed here. See More
Meson Panza Verde Antigua Guatemala 12 rooms from £78Foodies - Longstanding Antigua's premier restaurant. A lively concoction of music and superb cooking.City Style - Languish amongst sumptuously designed rooms and soak up the chic atmosphere.Sights nearby - Antigua is packed full of cultural gems. Be sure to visit the Cathedral of San José and the Palacio de los Capitanes.Great walks - Unwind over an in-house yoga class after all that sightseeing.Recommended by - I Escape
A chic boutique hotel boasting the finest restaurant in town. Atmospheric throughout find warm terracotta hues, plush chandeliers, Cuban antiques and porcelain tiles. Feast on gourmet cuisine and gently sway to live music. Walking distance from many of the city's main sights. A real gem. See More
Casa Encantada Antigua Guatemala 10 rooms from £83Local exploring - Well positioned within the UNESCO World Heritage Site city of Antigua.Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the Cathedral of San José and the Palacio de los Capitanes.Local markets - Scour the market for traditional artefacts.Full of characterRecommended by - I Escape
A charming guesthouse in the historic city of Antigua. Traditionally dressed rooms feature white washed walls, beamed ceilings and antique furniture. A pretty garden and small pool is the ideal spot grab a moment of quiet. Find many of the city's attractions within walking distance. Fabulous. See More
San Rafael Hotel Antigua Guatemala 7 rooms from £90City Style - Find the glamour of colonial design and contemporary luxury in this stylish hotel.Great walks - A walk up to the Hill of the Cross is well worth the effort to take in the epic views.Local markets - Explore the lively Antigua Market and search for local arts and crafts.Sights nearby - Take a walk to the impressive Cathedral in the nearby Parque Central.
An atmospheric boutique hotel in the centre of the historic city. Housing just seven beautifully designed rooms, traditional in style, with exposed stone work, antique furniture and beamed ceilings. A tranquil garden is the perfect spot to unwind with a drink after a day's exploring. Superb. See More
El Convento Boutique Hotel Antigua Guatemala 26 rooms from £121Local exploring - An atmospheric and historic hotel located within a UNESCO World Heritage Site.Sights nearby - Visit the picture perfect La Merced Church and Antigua Cathedral.Local markets - Explore the local market for regional artefacts.Outstanding locationRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A blissful boutique hotel steeped in history and set within tranquil walled gardens. Terracotta rooms feature beamed ceilings, antique style furniture and large glass windows leading onto the gardens. The restaurant is superb and location ideal for exploring the historic city. Highly recommended. See More
Pensativo House Hotel La Antigua Guatemala 26 rooms from £122Local exploring - An atmorspheric hotel well located with easy access to local attractions.Sights nearby - Just a 10-minute walk from San Francisco Church and the Arco de Santa Catalina.Great walks - Take a relaxing stroll around the nearby Antigua Guatemala’s Central Park.Local markets - Search the Antigua Market for local handicrafts.
Posada del Angel Antigua Guatemala 7 rooms from £152Local exploring - An authentic hotel in the heart of the city. Ideal for easy access to the city's main attractions.Sights nearby - Find numerous sights of cultural interest. Be sure to visit the impressive Cathedral.Great walks - Make the trip up to the Hill of the Cross and marvel at the panoramic views.Local markets - Scour the Antigua market for local crafts and artefacts.
A small boutique hotel in an original Spanish colonial casona. Individually styled rooms feature mayan textiles, antique furniture, wooden floors and plenty of charm. A chic rooftop terrace is the perfect spot to unwind with a drink and a small pool is the icing on the cake. Intimate and authentic. See More
Hotel Dona Leonor Antigua Guatemala 13 rooms from £168City Style - A palatial property ideal for lux city living.Sights nearby - Find numerous cultural sights to be explored. Be sure not to miss the Santa Catarina Arch and La Merced Church.Great walks - Take a stroll up to the Hill of the Cross for panoramic city views.Local markets - Search for local arts and crafts at the Antigua market.
A glorious converted palace holding all the glamour of its former years. Enormous rooms feature antique furniture, chandeliers, tiled floors, richly textured rugs and intricately carved ceilings. A leafy central courtyard is the ideal spot to unwind with a good book. Fabulous. See More