Search the best hotels in Lake Iseo
About Lake Iseo
Italy’s Lake Como, Lake Garda and even Lake Maggiore are all well known for their beauty and glamour. But do you hear many people talking about Lake Iseo? It is located in between Lake Como and Lake Garda, and is smaller, but very similar to them in other ways: long and thin, and surrounded by beautiful mountains, which help keep the weather mild, and in turn allows a spectacular array of plants to thrive here. Because it’s less well known, the best places to stay on Lake Iseo are a lot more affordable than their counterparts on the more glamorous lakes, which is why it is such a popular destination for local Italians, and why it’s such a friendly place to visit. Our recommendations for the best hotels on Lake Iseo is still a varied list, with converted farmhouses, villas and guesthouses, elegant spa hotels, traditional hotels, and opulent options all featuring.
Lake Iseo’s main towns, Iseo, Lovere, Sarnico and Pisogne, and their smaller neighbours are all very Italian feeling, which is in contrast to the larger lakes too. Most of the towns feel as if they’re facing the lake, putting their best facades towards the ferry ports, so that the best views, architecturally, are from the ferries that criss-cross the lake. Monte Isola is the forested island in the centre of the lake, and because it’s inhabited, the ferries run year round. Monte Isola is where to base yourself if you’re interested in the industry of the lake today; this is one of the world’s premiere net-making communities, and in amongst Monte Isola’s spiralling streets and sorbet-coloured buildings are historic dockyards. The coast road is also a very pretty drive.
Iseo is a good location if you’re hoping to find that perfect Italian lakes view, from that idyllically positioned Italian cafe or bar. A generous area of the town is pedestrianised, and it’s a great place for strolling and people watching, and has charming rows of cafes, bars and restaurants facing out onto the lake.
Despite its lesser known status, this region is very popular during the peak summer months. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Lake Iseo during July or August, do your research and book well ahead!
The Best Places to Stay on Lake Iseo
For Waterside Elegance
- The Hotel Araba Fenice has two rows of balconies that jut out over the water, so it’s difficult to get closer to the lake without getting wet! In addition to its enviable location and incredible views, the hotel has 43 stylish, yet comfortable, rooms and suites, decorated with unfussy good taste in a great range of shapes and sizes, from family suites to an indulgent spa suite with 180° lake views. The restaurant has a enviable water views too.
For a Spa Escape
- Picturesque and relaxed, L’Albereta is a luxurious hotel with a world-class spa and a very well regarded restaurant. It has 57 rooms and suites, and employs 30 therapists, doctors and other specialist spa staff to look after guests — an impressive ratio! The decor is classic country hotel fare, but the gardens and views elevate every room. There’s a vineyard right next door to add to the charming views, and there’s a golf course just four kilometres away. Perfect for a pampering break.
For an active break
- The Hotel Rivalago is in Sulzano, directly opposite Monte Isola, and just north of Iseo, which is a great base for exploring the lake. The best of its 32 rooms and suites have wonderful lake views, and even the rooms with the least amazing views still have a lot to look out on. The simple decor features plenty of white and cream, giving a light, airy appeal. Between the hotel and the lake is its pool, and there are gardens too leading down to a private beach. If you want to try your hand at kayaking or canoeing, or do some trekking or mountain biking, this hotel will help you arrange it.
For a self catering apartment or villa
- If you're travelling as a family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com.
- Lake Iseo’s nearest international airports are Milan’s airports: Linate, Bergamo Airport and Malpensa Airport. All are approximately an hour and a half by road from the lake.
- If you plan to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Just like its larger neighbours Lake Como and Lake Garda, Lake Iseo is a long, narrow stretch of water in between mountains, which makes it spectacular, but also keeps the temperatures mild. Because Monte Isola is inhabited the ferry service runs year round, making Lake Iseo a viable destination for visitors year round. In the chillier months some business may close, but there’s still plenty of reasons to visit. The autumn colours, for example, and the Christmas festivities. However the most popular time to visit Lake Iseo is when the weather is warmer, April through October. By mid-summer even the lake water has heated up, and can get to 20°C come July! So if you are visiting at this time it’s worth booking as far in advance as you can.
Still not sure?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the Lombardy region
- Or expand to include our Gurus’ recommendations on Lake Como, Lake Garda, and Lake Maggiore
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Lake Iseo
Best Hotels in Lake Iseo
Hotel Araba Fenice loc. Pilzone (BS), Lake Iseo 43 rooms from £130Romantic Break - Book the suite spa complete with your own personal spa and spectular lake viewsGreat walks - Take a hike through the mountains along the ancient Via ValerianaSailing - Hire a boat and take a romantic cruise across the lakeRomantic - Good for couples.
An elegant four-star property boasting a spectacular setting beside Lake Iseo. The collection of rooms suits everyone's needs from family suites to an indulgent spa suite complete with a 180-degree lake view. From the terrace restaurant to the private boat tours this hotel is luxury defined. See More
Hotel RivaLago Sulzano, Lake Iseo 32 rooms from £143Active Holiday - The hotel will help organise all your excursions - from watersports to trekking and cyclingRomantic Break - Stunning suites with lake viewsViews - Stunning lake viewsDiving - Available nearby
Set in the quiet village of Sulzano on Lake Iseo, bedrooms are comfortable, airy and decorated with elegant colours. Some rooms and suites have private balconies with lake views. Organise daily activities and excursions from the hotel or relax by the pool and private beach. See More
L’Albereta Erbusco-Franciacorta, Lake Iseo 57 rooms from £226Country EscapeSpa - Espace Vitalite Henri Chenot led by a team of physicians, therapists, dieticians & beauticians.Restaurant - Chef is Gualtiero Marchesi - father of Italian high cuisine!Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux