Search the best hotels in Verona
Verona knows perfectly well wherefore it is popular: a prized location in Italian and European power struggles, some of the finest Roman, Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance architecture you'll find anywhere on the peninsula and a history dating back to Roman times, which includes family feuds, romance and drama enough to inspire Shakespeare to lay his scenes for Romeo and Juliet there. Our selection of the best places to stay in Verona are perfectly situated to make the most of this fascinating city. They vary from great value options in the surrounding countryside to top notch luxury a stone's throw from the Arena. Verona is an easy city to navigate, most of the highlights are in the bend in the river at the centre of the old town, around the Basilica di San Zano Maggiore.
What Not To Miss
- Verona's Roman arena, built of rosy marble in the 1st century and surviving the earthquake in the 12th, to stand today as the city's largest performance venue, seating 30,000. You can visit it anytime, but it's obviously more exciting if you see a performance.
- Verona is a city steeped in romance. And if you're considering it for a proposal destination you'll not be the first...One of the most romantic spots in Verona must be Juliet's balcony. Apparently Shakespeare based his play on the real Veronese family who lived here and had a rivalry with a neighbouring clan. And in those times wooing ladies from below their balconies was the way to court. For a small fee you can enter the little museum and your lady can go onto the balcony for you to photograph from the courtyard below.
- The Basilica di San Zano Maggiore, widely regarded as Northern Italy's most magnificent Romanesque structure. This church's grand square and its red tower mean you'll never get lost.
- Verona's other great church is the Duomo. Built in the 12th Century, this striking, striped building has some wonderful statues.
- Explore Verona's military history at the Castelvecchio, a spectacular fortress destroyed first by Napoleon's troops, then in WW2, and then 'patched up' in the 60s in a fascinating way. Don't forget to go inside the museum where you'll find frescoes, great art, medieval artefacts and jewellery.
An ever popular destination, it is best to plan ahead if you want to bag one of the best places to stay in Verona.....they fill up pretty quickly in peak seasons.
For a city break
- If you want comfort and all mod. cons. in style, book the Sogno di Giulietta. Each of the 16 rooms has a different theme, with bathrooms getting special attention.
- For a city break on the cheap with budget-friendly accommodation, book the Hotel Academia. The rooms are elegant and generous (if a little dated) and the environment is friendly.
- Il Relais is a charming B&B, steeped in history in the heart of Verona. Its rooms are true to its 19th century Palazzo Tommasi heritage with lush modern additions. Perfect for exploring the romantic city of Verona. For Shakespeare aficionados, it's just a short walk from Juliet's balcony.
- If you're looking for an upmarket hotel near the centre of Verona, the Relais Fra Lorenzo is a delightful guesthouse, looking down onto the city. Its comfortable rooms are spacious and elegantly appointed with bespoke furnishings. With the city centre within walking distance, it's the perfect quiet haven to retreat to after a day's exploring.
- If you're looking for a private spot in which to woo your Juliet, the Byblos Art Hotel Villa Amistra is our recommendation. Just outside of town, this hotel is like something from The Great Gatsby, but with the twist of modern art. So it's perfect for design conscious Romeos.
- For old fashioned luxury and romance, book the Gabbia d'Oro. Staying in this palace is like staying in a luxury antique store.
- The Cinque Rooms is a stylish, discreet ‘street hotel’ with a code that lets you enter directly off the street, bypassing the need for reception. Five individually designed rooms are beautifully decorated with statement floral prints and top notch accessories. Perfect for romantic trysts in the city of Romeo and Juliet.
- For opulence and romance, the Sogno di Giulietta is a small hotel where modern Romeos take their Juliets. Individually themed, elegant rooms decorated with antique rugs, magnificent drapes, candles, art objects and private balconies overlooking the courtyard.
- The Relais Ristori offers romantic bedrooms in the palest pastels (pinks, limes, yellows) with four poster beds, Baroque furniture, and fresh white linens. A lovely inner courtyard is equally whimsical.
For the Opera
- If you're here for the opera festival you can't beat the Palazzo Victoria. It's only five minutes from the arena, so close to all the treasures of the historic centre. And with a Michelin starred chef running the restaurant this is also a top choice for foodies.
- Situated in the town centre, the Escalus Suites provide visitors the opportunity to experience life like a local in these stylish apartment-sized suites. Decor is smart and contemporary throughout with wooden floors, neutral colours, and handpicked pieces of modern furniture. Bang in the centre of town, it's ideal for opera lovers or those who want to shop till they drop.
For Absolute Luxury
- The Gentleman of Verona is a place of extravagant luxury in the centre of Verona: palatial individually designed rooms (some with private hammam), majestic bathrooms, complimentary minibar. Plus there's a spa for pampering & pretty courtyard garden for romantic dinners. A truly spoiling spot where you'll feel like a VIP!
- Located outside of Verona, with easy access to the countryside and the city, Hotel Villa del Quar is driven by family pride rather than corporate greed, ensuring constantly high standards in this attractive luxury manor house. Beautiful interiors that combine original stone facades, wooden beams, and elegant furniture. Outstanding food and private reception facilities for weddings.
- Situated just outside Verona with great access to urban and rural areas, the Tenuta Delo is an elegant hotel surrounded by olive trees. Exquisite rooms have wooden floors, antique furniture, unique views and all mod cons. Vineyards on the doorstep, as well as UNSECO-listed Verona. A laid back country escape for couples or families.
For an Apartment
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of apartments ideally placed for exploring the beautiful old town.
- Fly to Verona Villafranca Airport situated only 12km (7 miles) from the city centre with airport buses providing regular connections to and from the city
- By rail, the train station is located close to the town centre and provides regional and international connections.
- Visitors may wish to rent a car to explore the beautiful countryside and lakes around Verona. For prices we recommend visiting our online partner, Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the warmest months are from May to September although as Verona has no shortage of things to see, visitors may enjoy visiting in the off-peak months for a quieter experience.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Verona
Hotel Bologna Verona Historical Centre 32 rooms from £82Local exploring - Start your local exploring from this hotel's fantastic location, with many top attractions within walking distanceRomantic Break - Well-appointed suites and a romantic restaurant make this hotel an ideal setting for a couples' getawayCity Style - With stylish, contemporary interiors and a central location, this hotel has lots of chic city charmGreat walks - Explore this UNESCO heritage city on a long walk, stopping at Juliet's House - said to have inspired ShakespeareRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This boutique hotel is located in the heart of Verona, a few minutes away from the city's historical monuments, facing the beautiful Piazza Brà. Elegant, newly renovated guestrooms are colour-themed on each floor of the hotel. Head down to the restaurant to sample Venetian specialities. See More
Locanda al Vescovo Verona 10 rooms from £82Romantic Break - With well-appointed rooms, a romantic restaurant and full-service spa, book this hotel for your next romantic city breakLocal exploring - This hotel has an unbeatable location for local sightseeing, set on the doorstep of many of Verona's best attractionsCity Style - Set in the bustling heart of Verona with contemporary, stylish suites, this hotel has reams of local city charmGreat walks - Discover the beauty of this UNESCO protected city on a long walk, stopping at Juliet's House - said to have inspired ShakespeareRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This cosy guesthouse is nestled in the heart of historic Verona. Natural stone is used throughout to create unique wall features, from the cavernous breakfast room to the contemporary guestrooms. Check into the hotel's wellness centre for total relaxation after a day seeing the sights. See More
Tenuta Delo Verona, Veneto 4 rooms from £107Sights nearby - Mountains of Verona, Mantua, Vicenza and the Lake Garda, Venice and PaduaViews - Each room is named after the view it providesHistoric - 14th century building with 9th century towerSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Accademia Verona 94 rooms from £89City StyleTraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Corte Realdi Verona Historical Centre 5 rooms from £103Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring the historic centre of Verona: a short walk from Juliet's balcony and the Roman amphitheatre.Sights nearby - Only 5 minutes from the Roman amphitheatre, Arena di Verona and Juliet's Balcony.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Romantic hotel in the historic centre of Verona, offering Renaissance-style rooms with mural-adorned marble floors, antique furniture, private balconies and affrescoed ceilings. A fine starting point for exploring Verona, it is only 5 minutes from the ancient Roman amphitheatre and Juliet's Balcony. See More
Relais Ristori Verona 6 rooms from £104Romantic BreakSights nearby - 50m from the Castelvecchio and adjacent to the Theatre RistoriRomantic - All the rooms are named after historic loversLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
Sogno di Giulietta Verona 16 rooms from £125City StyleRomantic BreakSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Traditional
Escalus Suites Verona 6 rooms from £129Sights nearby - Just 50m from Verona's famous ArenaRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Experience life like a local in these stylish apartment-sized suites. Decor is smart and contemporary throughout with wooden floors, neutral colours, and handpicked pieces of modern furniture. Bang in the centre of town, it's ideal for opera lovers or those who want to shop till they drop. See More
Cinque Rooms Verona 5 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Located in San Zeno, so close to the Arena, the Philharmonic Theater, the historic center, and the major shopping streetsDesigner - All rooms are on the ground floor and feature large windows allowing guests to look out, but no-one to look in!Romantic - Good for couples.Quirky - An experience!
Stylish, discreet ‘street hotel’ with a code that lets you enter directly off the street, bypassing the need for reception. Five individually designed rooms are beautifully decorated with statement floral prints and top notch accessories. Perfect for romantic trysts in the city of Romeo and Juliet See More
Palazzo Monga Verona Historical Centre 4 rooms from £155Local exploring - With an unbeatable location in the historic centre of the city, book this hotel as a luxurious base for local sightseeingCity Style - Set in a lovingly restored period property in the heart of Verona, this hotel has lots of local city charmRomantic Break - With grand suites and a sleek spa onsite, book this hotel for an indulgent romantic city breakSights nearby - Visit the Scaliger Tombs, a group of 5 Gothic monuments in Verona celebrating the family who ruled Verona in the 13th centuryRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
This stylish guesthouse is located on the exclusive Corso Porta Borsari in Verona. With just three suites and one guestroom, this hotel is truly boutique. Beautifully restored interiors recall the 18th-century property's original glamour, with detailed wall reliefs and opulent furnishings. See More
Il Relais dell'Abbazia Verona (San Zeno) 3 rooms from £156Local exploring - This hotel has a great location, with the bars and restaurants of San Zeno on your doorstep and the Verona attractions close byCity Style - Set in a heritage monastery in the lively San Zeno district, book this hotel for a stylish city breakRomantic Break - These cosy guestrooms are perfect for a romantic break, with charming fireplaces and sink-in linensSights nearby - Visit the Basilica di San Zeno, a local church renowned for having the crypt featured in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
This unique B&B offers accommodation in a converted Benedictine monastery in San Zeno, Verona. Pine furnishings, wicker accents and contemporary fireplaces combine to create a warm and inviting feeling in the guestrooms. Start the day with breakfast in the charming garden before sightseeing. See More
Relais Fra Lorenzo Verona 6 rooms from £169Great walks - Lovely walks in the nearby Parco delle Colombare park.Sights nearby - Twenty minutes walk from Juliet's House in Verona.Full of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Relais Fra Lorenzo is a delightful guesthouse, looking down onto the city of Verona. It's comfortable rooms are spacious and elegantly appointed with bespoke furnishings. With the city centre within walking distance, it's the perfect quiet haven to retreat to after a day's exploring. See More
Il Relais Verona Historical Centre 4 rooms from £174Romantic Break - The setting for the world's greatest love storySights nearby - Basilica of San Zeno and Church of St. Eufemia within ten minutes walk.Local markets - Verona's Historic Centre is home to a host of market places.Traditional
Steeped in history, Il Relais is a charming B&B in the heart of Verona. Its rooms are true to its 19th century Palazzo Tommasi heritage with lush modern additions. Perfect for exploring the romantic city of Verona. For Shakespeare aficionados, it's just a short walk from Juliet's balcony. See More
Palazzo Victoria Verona 58 rooms from £186City StyleSights nearby - All of Verona's historic centre is easily accessible on foot.Lively - Hip and happening.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Classical elegance and top notch luxury. Seamless bedrooms and suites combine modern gadgetry, private jacuzzis, and white leather furniture with marble columns, parquet floors and frescoes. Excellent Michelin chef directed restaurant. Luxurious, but still family friendly. See More
Byblos Art Hotel Villa Amista Verona, Veneto 60 rooms from £189Artworks - The hotel houses works by world famous contemporary artists5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.HoneymoonsRecommended by - Tablet
Gabbia d’Oro Verona 27 rooms from £236Romantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Hotel Villa del Quar Verona, Veneto 28 rooms from £208Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Outdoor PoolSpaRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
The Gentleman of Verona Verona 14 rooms from £380Sights nearby - Just 50 yards from Castelvecchio Castle and a couple of minutes from the ArenaSpa - With sauna, hammam and massages on requestOpulentRomantic - Good for couples.
A place of extravagant luxury in the centre of Verona: palatial individually designed rooms (some with private hammam), majestic bathrooms, complimentary minibar. Plus there's a spa for pampering & pretty courtyard garden for romantic dinners. A truly spoiling spot where you'll feel like a VIP! See More