Search the best hotels in Hakuba
Located in Japan's northwestern Nagano Prefecture, the village of Hakuba is an internationally-renowned ski resort in the Japan Alps. In fact, it was home to the main event venue for the 1998 Winter Olympics. Hakuba as we know it was only established in 1956, however, when the villages of Hokujo and Kamishiro were merged together.
Hakuba's mountainous landscape is just as wonderful in the summer when you can exploit the area's natural beauty to head off on lovely long hikes. For that reason, it's always worth booking well ahead - the best places to stay in Hakuba get quickly filled up.
What Not To Miss
- If you're visiting in the spring, summer or autumn then hike around the Hapoone mountains and the peaceful Happo Pond.
- The Himegawa Headwaters Natural Garden is another lovely spot that's well worth a visit.
- Or, if you're into your culture then give the Hakuba Art Museum a try.
The best places to stay in Hakuba
For an intimate spot
- Hakuba Yamano Hotel is a charming, family-run stay which offers both traditional Japanese and Western-style accommodation. Tuck into hearty dishes after a long day on the slopes - ideal!
- The Ridge Hotel and Apartments offers ultra-chic rooms and self-catering apartments with plenty of space. Plus, there's an on-site restaurant.
For a larger resort
- Hakuba Tokyu Hotel is a fusion between a cosy mountain lodge and a smart contemporary hotel. Relax in the cosy, fire-lit lounge after a scrumptious dinner.
- Sierra Resort Hakuba is a luxurious resort nestled in the midst of a luscious forest. Chic rooms, access to four ski resorts and a number of spoiling onsens - what more could you ask for?
For an apartment, holiday home or villa
if you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Tokyo Haneda Airport before taking the train from Tokyo's Shinjuku station straight to Hakuba. Be warned, however, that the train journey takes just under four hours.
- If you're here for the skiing then consider visiting from November to March. However, the weather's nicest in the summer months - it hovers between 19-28°C in August.
- If you want to fully explore the area then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Hakuba.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Matsumoto.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hakuba
Best Hotels in Hakuba
Hakuba Yamano Hotel Hakuba (Nagano) 5 rooms from £114Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains are a veritable playground for outdoor enthusiasts.Skiing - Walking distance from the Happo One slope in the Nakiyama Area.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
A characterful family run property just a few minutes walk from the slopes. The rooms offer both Western and Japanese beds, paper shutters, tatami mats and plenty of light wood. Hearty dishes are served in the restaurant and the hosts knowledge of the region is second to none. Charming. See More
The Ridge Hotel and Apartments Hakuba (Nagano Perfecture) 17 rooms from £161Skiing - The Hakuba Valley offers some of Japan's most varied pistes with something for everyone from experienced to beginners.Active Holiday - A mountain hotel geared towards skiers but with multiple outdoor pursuits available in the area.Fishing - Catch and cook your fish in Hakuba Green Sports Forest.Views - Great views from hotel
A contemporary hotel offering rooms and self catered apartments with easy access to the slopes. Chic design includes plenty of glass, modern art, sink-into beds and polished wooden floors. A chic restaurant and cosy lounge provide the ideal spot to unwind post a day on the slopes. Superb. See More
Sierra Resort Hotel Hakuba Hakuba (Nagano) 74 rooms from £337Active Holiday - Set within 25 acres of forest and with easy access to ski slopes there's plenty to keep outdoor enthusiasts entertained.Skiing - A bus links the hotel directly to the ski lifts giving access to four resorts.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
A luxury resort set amidst a picturesque forest and boasting access to no less than four ski resorts. Rooms are chic and contemporary with large windows allowing the outside in, crisp white linen and indulgent bathrooms. A number of onsens and expansive outdoor pool aid utter relaxation. Fabulous. See More
Hakuba Tokyu Hotel Hakuba (Hakuba-mura, Kita-azumi-gun) 102 rooms from £407Skiing - Hakuba is one of Japan's premier ski resorts and also plays host to the Hakuna Ski Jumping Stadium.Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains offer a plethora of activities.Tennis - Play a game on one of the hotel's seven courts.Views - Great views from hotel
A hotel that achieves both the feel of a cosy mountain lodge and a chic contemporary hotel. Rooms mix elegant Western styles with classic Japanese design. An atmospheric fire lit lounge offers the perfect spot to unwind after a day on the slopes. A chic property ideal for outdoor enthusiasts. See More