Search the best hotels in Hakuba
Set in Japan's north-western Nagano Prefecture, the mountain town of Hakuba is a world-famous ski resort. The venue for the 1998 Winter Olympics, Hakuba has become an increasingly popular destination for outdoorsy adventurers from within Japan and further afield, who can enjoy an array of adrenaline-pumping sports in both winter and summer. A wide range of accommodation options reflect the area’s long-lasting appeal. The best places to stay in Hakuba include family-owned lodges as well as swish resorts and romantic glamping hideaways.
Winter visitors will find the surrounding snow-clad mountains criss-crossed with trails for skiing and snowboarding. The Hakuba Valley’s largest ski resort, Happo-One, sits above the iconic Hakuba Ski Jumping Stadium, with pistes for beginners as well as experienced skiers. Travel during the summer months to hike, mountain bike and fish. The Himegawa Headwaters Natural Garden is a lovely spot for a stroll, whilst the Hakuba Art Museum is great for a cultural afternoon out. Take culture-focused day trips to Matsumoto, or spend some time unwinding in Hakuba’s hot springs.
As with many popular destinations, the accommodation options here are busy both in the peak winter and summer months. So if you want to guarantee your room in one of the best places to stay in Hakuba, get organised and book well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Hakuba
For Families or Groups
- Hakuba Yamano Hotel is a charming, family-run lodge with multi-bed Japanese and Western options for families or groups. A simple, well-priced choice promising hearty cuisine and warm hospitality.
- The Ridge Hotel & Apartments offers a collection of modern rooms and self-catering apartments with up to four bedrooms. Expect spacious sitting rooms and well-equipped kitchens, as well as access to an onsite restaurant. Chic and contemporary — also brilliant for longer stays.
- Snow Peak Field Suite is made up of eight generous tents, perfect for the ultimate glamping experience. Whilst families and groups are welcome, this can also be a wonderfully romantic escape. Slightly out of town, the property offers cosy beds, minimalist interiors and gorgeous views of starlit skies. Gather by the fire pit or feast on Italian cuisine. For outdoorsy types.
For a Luxury Resort
- Hakuba Tokyu Hotel fuses elements of a laid-back mountain lodge with the indulgences of an upscale modern hotel. Play tennis, go hiking and skiing, or kick back in the fire-lit lounge before enjoying sensational dinners. A classic resort for couples or families.
- Sierra Resort Hakuba is a swish property with contemporary rooms yielding forest views and beds topped with crisp white linens. Unwind in spoiling onsens or a refreshing outdoor pool after enjoying easy access to the slopes. Set on 25 acres of grounds, this is a luxurious choice for guests of all ages.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY LODGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tokyo's Haneda International Airport or to Narita International Airport and travel to Hakuba by train via Shinjuku Station. The journey should take under four hours by rail.
- The Nagano region is wonderful to explore by road! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Summers are warm, with temperatures hovering between 20 and 27°C, and great for hiking and mountain biking. If you're looking to hit the slopes, travel between November and early March, when you can expect the best snow. For a quieter trip and great hotel deals, we'd recommend visiting in early autumn.
Still Not Sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Matsumoto.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hakuba
Best Hotels in Hakuba
Hakuba Yamano Hotel Hakuba (Nagano) 5 rooms from £114Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains are a veritable playground for outdoor enthusiasts eager to hike, ski, ride and kayakSkiing - Walking distance from the Happo One slope in the Nakiyama Area, this is a top spot for keen skiersTrekking - Summer visitors will find miles of scenic hiking trails in the surrounding hills and mountainsGroups - Cosy rooms with multiple beds are brilliant for families or gropus travelling together
A characterful family run property just a few minutes walk from the slopes. The rooms offer both Western and Japanese beds, paper shutters, tatami mats and plenty of light wood. Hearty dishes are served in the restaurant and the hosts' knowledge of the region is second to none. Charming. See More
The Ridge Hotel and Apartments Hakuba (Nagano Perfecture) 17 rooms from £161Skiing - The Hakuba Valley offers some of Japan's most varied pistes, suitable for beginners as well as advanced skiersFamilies - Multi-bedroom apartments and a fun games room make this a great base for families or groupsActive Holiday - A mountain hotel geared towards skiers but within easy reach of multiple outdoor pursuitsFishing - Catch and cook your fish in a striking setting in the Hakuba Green Sports Forest
A contemporary hotel offering rooms and self catered apartments with easy access to the slopes. Chic design includes plenty of glass, modern art, sink-into beds and polished wooden floors. A chic restaurant and cosy lounge provide the ideal spot to unwind post a day on the slopes. Superb. See More
Snow Peak Field Suite Hakuba (Kitaazumi District) 8 rooms from £249Skiing - Whether you are experienced or a newbie, there is good skiing for all plus some great off-piste optionsShort break - The train journey from Tokyo is around 3 hours making this a great option for a quick city getawayGreat walks - From lesiurely strolls to more challenging hikes, there's miles of scenic trekking trailsActive Holiday - As a base for skiers and hikers, this is an outdoor enthusiast's dream destination
A boutique tented camp set in the Japanese Alps. Tents are cosy and rustic with feather-down duvets, simple minimalist furniture, and large private deck spaces. Gourmet cuisine is Italian with well-chosen wines. A rejuvenating outdoorsy stay with fire pits, stargazing, and wonderful mountain views. See More
Sierra Resort Hotel Hakuba Hakuba (Nagano) 74 rooms from £337Active Holiday - Set within 25 acres of forest and with easy access to ski slopes there's plenty to keep outdoor enthusiasts entertainedFamilies - Larger rooms are great for families, and kids will love the outdoor pool, garden & access to outdoorsy activitiesSkiing - A bus links the hotel directly to the ski lifts & to four resorts, including Tsugaike and IwatakeMountain biking - Hire a bike and set out on scenic rides through the mountains during the warmer months
A luxury resort set amidst a picturesque forest and boasting access to no less than four ski resorts. Rooms are chic and contemporary with large windows allowing the outside in, crisp white linen and indulgent bathrooms. A number of onsens and expansive outdoor pool aid utter relaxation. Fabulous. See More
Hakuba Tokyu Hotel Hakuba (Hakuba-mura, Kita-azumi-gun) 102 rooms from £407Groups - A big, family or group-friendly lodge with rooms offering two double beds, mountain views and easy access to all the activitiesActive Holiday - On site ski rental makes this a great choice for an active winter holiday - there are also tennis courts at the hotelRafting - Experience adrenaline-packed white water rafting adventures during the summer monthsTennis - Challenge the whole family to a game of tennis on one of the hotel's five courts
A hotel that achieves both the feel of a cosy mountain lodge and a chic contemporary hotel. Rooms mix elegant Western styles with classic Japanese design. An atmospheric fire lit lounge offers the perfect spot to unwind after a day on the slopes. A chic property ideal for outdoor enthusiasts. See More