Search the best hotels in Ishigaki
One of Japan’s most westerly islands, Ishigaki actually lies closer to Taiwan than to mainland Japan. The island’s identity has long fused elements of both cultures — including when it comes to Ishigaki’s unique cuisine. Accommodation options include everything from intimate villas to swish resorts with extensive facilities — our pick of the best places to stay in Ishigaki are set right on the coast, ideal for a beach break.
Much of the island is protected as part of the Iriomote-Ishigaki National Park, a landscape of mangroves, evergreen forests and coral reefs which abound with rare wildlife, including the Iriomote cat and Sakishima grass lizard. Clamber up Mount Omoto, stroll along sandy beaches studded with dramatic rock formations and craggy caves, or go bird-watching in the jungle. Hiking through Banna Park, sunbathing on stunning Kondoi Beach and Kabira Bay or sailing, kayaking and snorkelling are a must. The Tamatorizaki Observatory promises beautiful views, whilst the Minsah Kogei Museum offers a rich insight into local culture.
Retreat to one of the best places to stay in Ishigaki for indulgent spa treatments, ocean dips and fresh, flavoursome fare.
The Best Places to Stay in Ishigaki
For an Intimate Hideaway
- Tsundara Beach Retreat is a comfortable, self-catering villa with private beach access and three acres of grounds. Pick this place for a relaxed couples' hideaway, or an independent trip with the kids. The ocean and forests are on your doorstep.
- Jusandi offers chic modernist villas with private swimming pools and white-on-white interiors. Perfect for honeymoon couples or romantic retreats, the villas also offer mouth-watering gourmet dining, with a focus on fresh seafood. Beautiful and luxurious.
- Hoshinoya Taketomijima is a stunning hideaway on the nearby island of Taketomi. Bungalow suites have red-tiled roofs and tatami-style flooring, and are connected to the outdoor pool and sun terrace by white sand paths lined by coral stone walls. A hugely luxurious escape for romantic couples.
For a Family-Friendly Luxury Resort
- Ana Inter Continental Ishigaki Resort is a bold luxury resort with wonderful sea views from bright rooms and suites, the best with private balcony. Play a round on the golf course, swim in the hotel pools, relax on the sandy beach, enjoy games of tennis or unwind at the spa. The nine bars and eateries promise fantastic cuisine for guests of all ages. Very indulgent.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tokyo's Haneda International Airport before taking a connection on to Ishigaki Airport. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick-up.
- You may want to drive if you're exploring the island independently. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer, spring or early autumn for the warmest weather and to make the most of the island's natural beauty. Expect temperatures of 23 - 30°C. May and September are cooler and quieter.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Okinawa.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ishigaki
Best Hotels in Ishigaki
Tsundara Beach Retreat Okinawa Prefecture, Ishigaki 1 rooms from £278Beach Life - Tsundara Beach Retreat enjoys private beach access so you can spend your days lounging by the seaside!Romantic Break - Your very own private villa and beach, ideal for couples who want to relax in blissful surroundingsSnorkelling - Swim out to sea and explore the area's diverse marine life on a sunny snorkelling excursionGreat walks - Hike up Mt Ourayama or wander along the coast at sunset to take in the gorgeous views
Located on Ishigaki Island, Tsundara Beach Retreat boasts private beach access. The villa is set in almost 3 acres of grounds and Iriomote-Ishigaki's lush forest is just a stone's throw away! Enjoy a BBQ in the sun or visit a number of local restaurants. A peaceful, private and unique stay. See More
Ana Inter Continental Ishigaki Resort Okinawa, Ishigaki 255 rooms from £307Families - A plehtora of activities, as well as swimming pools, tennis courts and a kids' play area make this a top spot for familiesGolf - Play a round or two at the resort's own golf course, soaking up striking views of the ocean and gardensTennis - Work up a sweat with a family tennis competition on the hotel's tennis courtsFoodies - Feast on mouth-watering cuisine at the resort's nine bars and restaurants
Boasting a beachfront location a few miles outside the city, Ana Inter Continental Ishigaki Resort offers contemporary accommodation decorated in light hues and featuring splendid sea views. Unwind on the beach, soak up the sun by the pool and enjoy mouth-watering cuisine. Great to explore! See More
Hoshinoya Taketomijima Okinawa, Ishigaki 48 rooms from £659Local exploring - This hotel offers lots of packages to help you explore the island, from sea and land tours to cultural experiencesBeach Life - Set on the charming Japanese island of Taketomi, book this resort for a relaxing seaside holidayRomantic Break - With romantic soaking tubs in each room, book this hotel for a stylish couples' getawaySights nearby - Enjoy a leisurely water buffalo ride through the only village on the island
This resort is nestled on the Japanese island of Taketomi. Inspired by local custom, bungalow suites have red-tiled roofs and tatami-style flooring. White-sand paths and coral stone walls connect the suites with the outdoor pool and sun terrace at this idyllic, rustic-chic retreat. See More
Jusandi Okinawa Prefecture, Ishigaki 5 rooms from £1022Families - With private villas and a splendid setting that everyone will enjoy, Jusandi is the ideal spot for family tripsRomantic Break - Chic designer villas and splendid food make this the perfect destination for a romantic getawaySights nearby - Head to the Ishigakijima Astronomical Observatory or Ishigaki Island Limestone CaveGreat walks - Wander along Yonehara Beach at sunset to marvel at the incredible viewsRecommended by - Tablet
Jusandi enjoys a splendid coastal location on Ishigaki Island overlooking the ocean. The property offers luxurious self-catering villas with chic accommodation featuring light hues, wooden furnishings and private pools. Relax on the private beach area or explore all over the island. A superb spot! See More