Search the best hotels in Kumamoto
Located in Japan's southwesterly corner on the island of Kyushu, the city of Kumamoto is the capital of the Kumamoto Prefecture. Kumamoto has a long and rich history, with its castle being its most prominent feature. Built in the 17th century by the then-daimyō, or lord, it was long considered utterly impregnable due to its innovative defensive systems. Indeed, it still stands proudly atop Ni No Maru Park's hill overlooking the city. Our pick of the best places to stay in Kumamoto are ideally located in the town centre with most of the highlights within easy reach.
During the Second World War, approximately a third of the city was burned down by Allied air raids, with over 300 people dying as a result. In commemoration, the Buddhist monk Nichidatsu Fuji was instrumental in the construction of a peace pagoda on Mount Hanaoka, which you can still visit to this day.
Moreover, the famous warrior, writer, and philosopher Miyamoto Musashi spent his last few years in Kumamoto, and his tomb is located just a short distance away.
Visitors to Kumamoto will find a charming city brimming with culture and historical significance. A great choice for those looking for an active city break spent sightseeing!
What Not To Miss
- A trip to Kumamoto wouldn't be complete without visiting the castle. Be warned, however, that parts of it are still under reconstruction due to damange incurred during the recent earthquake.
- Spend an afternoon wandering through the idyllic Suizenji Jojuen Garden. Constructed in the 17th century, it recreates the 53 stations of the Tokaido, including a mini Mount Fuji
- Culture-vultures should make time to see both Kato Shrine and the Contemporary Art Museum Kumamoto.
Don't forget that the best places to stay in Kumamoto get quickly booked up, so try get organised and plan ahead!
The best places to stay in Kumamoto
For a contemporary base
- Hotel Nikko Kumamoto is a centrally-located hotel with great views of the castle. The rooms are smart and functional, whilst you can choose to dine at any one of a variety of eateries.
- Kumamoto Hotel Castle is an elegant option with stylish accommodation in the heart of the city. Tuck into both regional and international dishes - a top option.
For a traditional stay
- Maruko Hotel is a traditional hotel boasting tatami-style accommodation and a number of onsens in which to unwind after a long day sightseeing.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Tokyo Haneda Airport before taking a connection to the Aso Kumamoto Airport.
- The best time to visit is during the summer months, with the average temperature rising to a balmy 27°C in July and August.
- If you'd like to explore more of the surrounding area then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Kumamoto.
- Expand your search to include all our Kyushu recommendations
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Kumamoto
Maruko Hotel 46 rooms from £97Kumamoto
A traditional Japanese hotel located in the centre of the city. Classically styled rooms include roll down futons, tatami mats, floor level dining tables and little else. A number of hot spring baths are utterly spoiling to unwind in after a day spent exploring the city. Charming.Local exploring - A hotel offering an authentic Japanese experience and a central city location.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the impressive Kumamoto Castle.Great walks - Wander through the picturesque Suizen-ji Garden.Full of character
Hotel Nikko Kumamoto 191 rooms from £98Kumamoto
A centrally located hotel boasting epic views of Kumamoto Castle. An impressive collection of restaurants serve up gourmet cuisine. Rooms are elegant with crisp white linen, nuetral tones and simple dark wooden furniture. With efficient service and a great locality this is an ideal city base.Local exploring - A chic, centrally located, property close to many of the city's attractions.Sights nearby - Just a 10 minute walk from the impressive Kumamoto Castle.Great walks - Take a stroll through the scenic Suizenji Park.Views - Great views from hotel
Kumamoto Hotel Castle 179 rooms from £119Kumamoto
An elegant hotel situated in the heart of Kumamoto. Stylish rooms are contemporary in style with floor to ceiling windows, crisp white linen, luxury bathrooms and the best boast views of Kumamoto Castle. A range of regional and international dishes are served up in the restaurant. A chic city base.Local exploring - Boasting a central location and excellent transport links.Great walks - Take a stroll through the picturesque Suizenji Garden.Sights nearby - Visit the mighty Kumamoto Castle.Views - Great views from hotel