Search the best hotels in Gozo
Many people don't realise Malta's charms extend beyond the shores of the main island - to Gozo, the smaller, quieter island to the north, with more of an Arabian look to its smattering of pretty towns and some of the world's best diving sites. The stunning landscape is marked by beautiful churches and charming villages that are ripe for exploring. The Hotel Guru's pick of the best places to stay in Gozo ranges from a chic guesthouse to five star luxury resort.
Things to not to miss:.
- Divers know about the 'Inland Sea', a deep hole illuminated by fluorescent corals, and the 'Azure Window', but even surface-dwellers can experience some of their wonder looking overboard from one of the little tour boats.
- Rabat is the island's largest town, topped by an impressive fortified citadel. The streets spread outwards like a spider's web, along which the square buildings gather. Folks here value their peace, and it's only been in the last decade or so that people have started driving cars instead of horse and carts. But it's not just Rabat where peace is valued, this is the warm blanket enveloping all of Gozo.
- Gozo does have one tourist site, Ggantija, two temples made from giant, freestanding stones. A UNESCO World Heritage Site a thousand years older than Stonehenge and just as atmospheric, mysterious and humbling.
- There are other archaeologically interesting reserves on the island as well, if you fancy poking through the wild herbs and gladioli.
- For such a tiny island there are a large number of churches and wherever you are on the island you'll be within the sound of church bells pealing. Gozo also has one particularly large church at Xewkija - with the third largest unsupported rotunda in Europe. This island is so devout, that they built this new church on top of their old church, before dissembling their original church and rebuilding it elsewhere.
Gozo is perhaps Malta's best kept secret with gorgeous scenery and a peaceful atmosphere. The people are at the heart of the place and our selection of the best places to stay in Gozo keep the island's delightful hospitality at the fore of their service.
The Best Places to Stay on Gozo
The Best Family Friendly Hotels on Gozo
- The Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz is one of the best places to stay on Gozo for divers and those who love a dramatic coastline. The hotel's beautiful pools, manicured gardens and award-winning spa serve to highlight the drama of the wild, natural surrounds.
- Ta' Cenc is a luxurious eco-retreat within the grounds of a bird sanctuary, so it's all about getting back to nature in a five star environment. Borrowing from southern Italian influences into the island the hotel is made up of delightful ground-level trullis.
For chic boutique
- Stylish and simple, the Quaint Boutique Hotel is an excellent option for a trip to Gozo. Housed in a historic building, the interiors have been modernised to create chic rooms and an atmospheric bar. Superb value for money.
Prefer an apartment or villa?
- For something a little more private, browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- For travelling to Gozo, you'll have to fly to Malta International Airport at Valletta.
- From there head north to Cirkewwa port to catch a ferry on to Gozo.
- For those interested in hiring a car, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Gozo has a great all year round climate and the best time to go is from February to June. This will let you escape the summer crowds and the searing summer heat.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay on Gozo.
- Expand your search to include all our Malta recommendations or our collection of the best beach hotels in Malta, or the best hotels in Malta for families.
- Alternatively contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Gozo
Best Hotels in Gozo
Quaint Boutique Hotel In-Nadur, Gozo 12 rooms from £64Romantic Break - Smart, stylish rooms with the beautiful island of Gozo on the doorstep combine to make it a great spot for a romantic break.Value chic - The perfect chic base for exploring the stunning island of Gozo, without breaking the bank.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to the stunning Azure Window.Local markets - Browse the bustling local market in Nadur.
The Quaint Boutique Hotel provides an excellent, cost effective service in Nadur. The stylish bedrooms combine historic building features with modern, chic interiors. Offering spacious, comfortable rooms and an atmospheric bar, it's the perfect launchpad for a few days on Gozo. See More
Murella Living Gozo 6 rooms from £74Active Holiday - The hotel works with local groups to organise everything from bike rental and segway tours to scuba diving and horse riding.Beach Life - Malta is regularly voted the best place for scuba diving in the Mediterranean. Murella is 100 yards from the sea.Diving - Set out in the clear waters to discover the island's marine life.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
A chic B&B just steps from the sea, with Mediterranean-inspired decor, spacious rooms and simple comforts. Individually styled rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, wooden floors, bold hues and some have balconies with views of the sea. a charming base to explore the island from. See More
Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz San Lawrenz, Gozo 122 rooms from £98Families - There'e a kids club will keep little ones entertained, and tennis courts, two pools, hot tub and hammam to keep you happy!Romantic Break - An indulgent retreat- with candlelite dining, romantic boat trips, serene secluded suites and couples spa treatments.Diving - Explore the submerged caves, tunnels and arches with an experienced guide.Sights nearby - Visit the Citadel fortified during the Bronze Age around 1500 BC.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Dar tal-Kaptan Għasri, Gozo 4 rooms from £100Hideaway - A small hotel with a laid-back vibe, an ideal spot to come and unwindSailing - Sailing trips and lessons can be organised from the hotelGreat walks - Take the half hour stroll up to Ta’ Gordon lighthouseSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A converted farmhouse offering just four rooms. Owned by a charming couple, the suite-like rooms are spacious and vibrant; filled with colour and local nicknacks. A large swimming pool has a hot tub attached, there are Maltese cakes on offer round-the-clock and an honesty bar. A laid-back hideaway. See More
Duke Boutique Hotel Victoria, Gozo 30 rooms from £111Local exploring - With a prime location next to the Villa Rundle Gardens, this hotel makes the perfect base for local exploring in GozoRomantic Break - Couples love the contemporary suites at this boutique bolt-hole; book a luxury room for a private terrace hot tubCity Style - Set in a historic property dating back to the 1800s, this hotel is steeped in the local culture of VictoriaDiving - The Maltese Islands are amongst the top diving destinations worldwide; book experienced diving instructors at the hotel
This landmark heritage hotel sits in the heart of Victoria on the Maltese island of Gozo. Guestrooms are cosy and contemporary, with warm lighting and plush linens; book a luxury suite for a private terrace with sunbeds and a hot tub. For a longer stay, try a self-catering suite; a chic island stay. See More
Ta' Cenc Sannat, Gozo 83 rooms from £146Swimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolsSecluded setting - For escaping.Four poster beds - For romantics.On the beach - In front of the hotel.