Playa del Carmen
Search the best hotels in Playa del Carmen
About Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen has a great central spot on the Riviera Maya, about 70kms south of Cancún and just across the waves from Cozumel. It doesn't have the perfect waters of those resorts or sand quite as soft and perfect as the beaches further north, but Playa del Carmen is hip. And packed with Europeans who know this is where to find the chicest boutique hotels. The best places to stay in Playa del Carmen are, well most importantly, beachside, but they are also designed around relaxation with contemporary boho style and many of our picks also have outstanding spas.
For those who want to do a bit more than relax it's worth exploring Playa del Carmen's underwater world. Dive if you can, or snorkel if you don't fancy it, and you've a good chance of meeting sea turtles, giant eels, graceful rays and a rainbow of fish, all backed by some extraordinary corals. Playa del Carmen is also about an hour’s drive from Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, a large area of protected forest and mangrove, with more amazing snorkelling opportunities and all sorts of exotic animals to spot.
We recommend you plan your trip well ahead, the best places to stay in Playa del Carmen are busy year-round!
The best places to stay in Playa del Carmen
For a Beach Break
- The Thompson Playa del Carmen is a chic beach property with 120 contemporary, minimalist rooms with large terraces and epic views. Their Mexican restaurant is right by the beach, but there’s also a hip rooftop bar serving memorable cocktails.
- Book the Andaz Mayakoba if you'd like a slick beachside property with contemporary accommodation and stunning seaviews. Plus there are several restaurants to choose from and activities for all.
For a Special Occasion
- Rosewood Mayakoba is a secluded luxury property just to the north of Playa del Carmen. This stunning resort features a range of suites and residences most with private plunge pool. There are endless dining options, championship golf course, and a huge range of children's activities.
- Playa del Carmen’s Viceroy Riviera Maya is a a stunning collection of 41 rooms and villas surrounded by tropical forest and white sand. The restaurant specialises in exceptional seafood and there’s a fantastic Mayan spa. Great if you want to relax on the beach or try every watersport under the sun.
On a budget
- Casa Ticul is a relatively new adult's only, 20 bedroom boutique hotel with traditional decor but all the mod. cons.. There's a small outdoor pool and you're well located for exploring town and the beach.
- Some of the Hotel La Semilla's nine rooms start from around £110 per night, but this is a more stripped-back and fashionable property, with well chosen flea-market furniture and no TVs.
For a lively atmosphere
- Soho Playa is in just the right district, surrounded by cool bars, good shopping and a hip vibe - and all just a few steps from the beach. They help you get into the right frame of mind with yoga and meditation in the mornings.
- Be Playa is a chic boutique property with contemporary rooms with wood floors, hot tubs and excellent views. There’s also a rooftop pool, a hip bar and a creative seafood restaurant.
For a private apartment or beach house
- Browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Playa del Carmen is Cancun (37 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best rates.
- The best time to visit Playa del Carmen is from December to April. The rainy season lasts from May to September, and hurricane season runs from June to November.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay on the Riviera Maya.
- Alternatively look at the best places to stay in Quintana Roo.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Playa del Carmen
BE Playa Playa del Carmen 23 rooms from £101Beach Life - Boasting a rooftop pool, seafood restaurant and located just minutes beach.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Tablet
A chic boutique property in Mexico's beach resort town of Playa del Carmen. Contemporary rooms feature crisp white linen, clean lines, wooden floors and the best have hot tubs with a view. A rooftop pool, hip bar and creative seafood restaurant really make this hotel stand out. See More
Hotel La Semilla Playa del Carmen (Gonzalo Guerrero) 9 rooms from £113Beach Life - Hotel La Semilla is a stunning beach-chic property right on the coast so you can spend your days lounging on the beachRomantic Break - Beautiful accommodation, divine cuisine and long sunset walks on the beach -the ideal romantic getawaySights nearby - The historic Muyil Mayan and Xelha archeological sites are a must-visitDiving - There are plenty of local companies who organise scuba diving toursRecommended by - Tablet
The adult-only Hotel La Semilla is located in the coastal town of Playa del Carmen, just 200 metres from the beach. With romantic rustic accommodation, furnished in a shabby-chic style. Enjoy splendid buffet breakfasts each morning and relax in the terrace with a drink! Intimate and boutique. See More
Casa Ticul Playa del Carmen (LT 08 MZ 151 Col Zacil-Ha) 20 rooms from £133Romantic Break - An adults only hotel built for romance, the palatial suites come with private terraces and hot tubs.Swimming Pool - Small outdoor plunge poolRestrictions on children - Adults only.Full of character
Intimate, adult-only boutique hotel combines traditional looks with contemporary comforts. Bright rooms and the courtyard swimming pool make this an ideal place for exploring by day, and relaxing in the evening. Breakfast is served poolside and is the perfect way to start the day. Great beach spot. See More
Soho Playa Playa del Carmen (Quinta Roo) 23 rooms from £140Lively - The district has a cool vibe with trendy bars, restaurants, good shopping and plenty happening on the beachRestaurant - Bistro serving local and international dishes, seafood, Mango Guacamole and tasty salads, plus a detox menuBeach nearby - Mamita's Beach Club is a short walk form the hotel with a great atmosphereBeach LifeRecommended by - Tablet
Urban hip hotel in cosmopolitan neighbourhood of Playa del Carmen, sprinkled with good restaurants. Close to the beach, with roof top pool. Start with early mooring yoga or meditation on the terrace with ocean views. Pretty colourful Mayan style rooms, with balconies and hammocks. See More
Thompson Playa del Carmen Playa del Carmen 119 rooms from £185Beach Life - A stunning beach, lively nightlife scene and plenty of sunshine. The perfect Mexican experience.Diving - The nearby island of Cozumel offers excellent scuba diving opportunities.Sights nearby - Explore the Mayan remain in the ruined city of Coba.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A chic beach property with a youthful energy. Contemporary rooms are minimalist in style with epic views, large terraces and luxurious bathrooms. Dine on Mexican cuisine by the beach or on the hip roof terrace. The bar is also on point and serves superb cocktails. A beach haven. See More
Andaz Mayakoba Playa del Carmen (Playa del Carmen-Solidaridad) 214 rooms from £228Total relaxation - A 'has it all' property placed on a gorgeous stretch of beach.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic archaeological ruins at Chichen Itza and Tulum.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet
A slick beach side property offering contemporary style in a truly tropical setting. The Andaz stamp assures quality and this property does not disappoint. Cleanly designed rooms make the most of the epic sea views. A handful of restaurant will keep everyone happy and the activities are boundless. See More
Viceroy Riviera Maya Playa del Carmen 41 rooms from £302Beach Life - Whether it's sitting sipping a cocktail on the white sands or kite surfing across the bay- this is a beach bums paradise!Private villas - Private luxury villas only.Swimming Pool - Pools looking on to beachLuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Rosewood Mayakoba Playa del Carmen Km 298 128 rooms from £1405Beach Life - A chic luxury property based on a gorgeous white sand beach with crystal clear waters.Sights nearby - Visit the famed Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
A secluded luxury property set away from lively Playa del Carmen. Stunning suites are simply designed with large floor to ceiling windows, enormous contemporary bathrooms and dark wooden furniture set against white walls. Easy access to white sandy beaches and superb cuisine. Beachside perfection. See More