What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Quintana Roo
About Quintana Roo
Quintana Roo is the flashy bit of the Yucatán Peninsula. The bit with the spectacular Caribbean coastline of white sand, bright turquoise waters and a scattering of incredible Mayan Ruins, some hidden in thick jungle, some exposed out on the coast. And some of the best places to stay in Quintana Roo have easy access to both these highlights
Home to famous beach holiday destinations Cancún, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel and Tulum - which has its own impressive Mayan archaeological site built into the coastal cliffs, Quintana Roo’s jungle interior has some wonderful Maya-Mexicano communities, as well as the spectacular ancient sights at Coba. The region’s tourist appeal is relatively new, dating from the 70s, and one of the best things about Quintana Roo is that away from the tourist areas it feels unspoilt and has been largely protected.
What Not To Miss
- Indulge your inner thrill seeker at one of the region's several theme parks - there's something for everyone at these parks, from swimming with dolphins to zip lining.
- Experience a historical marvel at the Ruins of Tulum, the site of a Maya walled city. The ruins are perched dramatically on the cliffs making for a sensational views.
- Journey into Rio Secreto - a system of underground caves and rivers dramatically lit revealing all the ancient rock formations. There is a professional photographer following visitors through the caves ensuring memorable snaps aplenty.
- Pay a visit to the crystal clear waters of Lake Bacalar with stunning views in all directions. Visitors can also hop on a boat tour and see various impressive cenotes (sinkholes or natural pits).
- Dive at the Palancar Reef - a beautiful reef with a hugely diverse range of fish and coral formations. The water is wonderfully clear making it easy to spot all the different subsurface sights.
As you might imagine the majority of the best places to stay in Quintana Roo are in the tourist hot spots, but our Gurus have found some real treasures. And if you’re looking for a peaceful jungle escape or a chance at secluded barefoot luxury then you’ll find your dream hotel on our Guru’s list too.
The best places to stay in Quintana Roo
For Barefoot Luxury
- If you like the idea of a small property right on the beach then Encantada Tulum is a for you. There are just eight rooms and you’re set directly against a pristine stretch of white sand. The large terraces have incredible sea views and inside the deco is simple and chic with plenty of wood.
- The Papaya Playa Project is a collection of 73 sustainable boho-chic rooms and cabanas on a secluded stretch of white sandy beach. The decor is hip and Mayan, while the beach club is hip and Mexican.
- Playa del Carmen’s Viceroy Riviera Maya is a a stunning collection of 41 rooms and villas surrounded by tropical forest and white sand. The restaurant specialises in exceptional seafood and there’s a fantastic Mayan spa. Great if you want to relax on the beach or try every watersport under the sun.
- Nomade Tulum is a 38 room hotel in a stunning, beachfront spot. The accommodation is in a range of rustic tents, villas and suites. There’s a retreat feel to the place and a great vegetarian restaurant.
For a Beach Break
- There are plenty of hotels right on the sand in Tulum, but Ana Y Jose Hotel is in a great spot even for Tulum’s standards, close to one of the best sea swimming spot along this stretch of coast. There are 23 rooms and an exotic spa to top it off.
- Tulum’s The Beach demands to be included in this section of the list, with 28 boho-chic, white-on-white rooms and lovely views just steps from a secluded stretch of white sandy beach.
- The Thompson Playa del Carmen is a chic beach property with 120 contemporary, minimalist rooms with large terraces and epic views. Their Mexican restaurant is right by the beach, but there’s also a hip rooftop bar serving memorable cocktails.
- The Nizuc Resort & Spa has a beachfront spot on the Punta Nizuc, which is just out of Cancún proper, and offers panoramic views of the Caribbean. This is a big hotel - with 274 rooms and suites - with chic, contemporary decor, a luxurious spa and a choice six onsite restaurants.
- Kin Sol Soleil, just up the road from Play del Carmen in Puerto Morelos, is a tranquil property right against a white, sandy beach. There are just ten rooms with a Mexican feel, contemporary art and antique furniture, There’s also a stunning pool.
- Hidden within the jungle, Be Tulum is a collection of 20 atmospheric suites with rustic chic decor and free-standing baths. The romantic restaurant blends Mediterranean and Mexican flavours and there’s a pool and spa as well as the beach right on your doorstep.
- Tulum’s Mezzanine is a nine room, eco-friendly resort beside a secluded beach. There are tropical gardens and breathtaking sea views, plus plenty of activities on offer.
- Tides Riviera Maya in Play del Carmen is a well secluded collection of 41 beautiful private villas surrounded by tropical forests - the only thing between you and the perfect white beach. As well as the beautiful beach this resort has private pools with beach views and an incredible spa which draws heavily on Mayan traditions. The restaurant is a fusion of Mediterranean and Mexican.
- The Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa is a 64 room hotel sitting between one of Playa del Carmen's best beaches and the jungle. Maroma has amazing facilities including numerous pools, a beautiful spa and access to yoga, snorkelling, diving, windsurfing kayaking, riding, fishing, surfing and everything you need to get married.
- Tulum’s Casa de Las Olas is a seven suite boutique deco-hotel on its own private beach. Rooms are traditional and decorated in white and the atmosphere is one of intimacy and peace. No children under five.
- Also in Tulum, Jashita is a luxurious beach-side propter overlooking glittering turquoise waters. There are 26 indulgent suites decorated all in white plus spectacular views and excellent Italian/ Mexican fusion restaurant.
For Peace and Quiet
- The Hotel Secreto is on the Isla Mujeres, just off the coast of Cancún and is a luxurious, 12 room boutique hotel in an extremely private spot overlooking its own private beach. The rooms have floor to ceiling windows overlooking the infinity pool and the beach and are decorated with original art works. Apparently the bar serves dangerously good Margaritas.
- Just outside Tulum, in a beautiful beachfront spot, Sanara is a low-key hotel with 19 rooms and suites and a great spa. There’s also a superb restaurant perfect for before or after your post-sunset-beach-stroll.
- La Zebra is a 16 room boutique style hotel on a quiet stretch of beach. The decor is contemporary with plenty of natural light. There’s a great seafood restaurant and a lively tequila bar if you need a bit of a kick.
- Lake Bacalar’s Rancho Encantado is a collection of 12 chic cabins nestled right in against the lake. The terracotta tiles, muslin-draped beds and white-washed walls give a rustic feel but there’s plenty of luxury, including a beautiful spa.
- Deseo, in the centre of Playa del Carmen, caters perfectly to the young, cosmopolitan crowd with a stylish rooftop pool and terrace bar, plus hammocks on all private balconies. It's also just two blocks from the sea.
- Tulum’s Casa Malaca is a trendy private-beach-side hotel with 40 rooms and suites, three pools and a lively bar. The decor is white one white and contemporary fabulous.
- Soho Playa is in just the right district of Play del Carmen, surrounded by cool bars, good shopping and a hip vibe - and all just a few steps from the beach. They help you get into the right frame of mind with yoga and meditation in the mornings.
For Best Value
- Playa del Carmen’s Casa Ticul is a relatively new 20 bedroom hotel with traditional decor and all the mod. cons.. There's a small outdoor pool and you're well located for exploring town and the beach. Rooms start from less than £50 per night.
- Also in Play del Carmen some of Hotel La Semilla's nine rooms start from less than £70 per night. This is a more stripped-back and fashionable property with well chosen flea-market furniture and no TVs.
- The Zamas Hotel is a laid-back 20 room property on one of Tulum’s most beautiful stretches of beach. The decor is rustic chic with wooden furniture in sort-of-tile-floored-huts! There is a private villa for families and the restaurant has great traditional Mayan fare. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- For around £100 per night you can stay at Tulum’s Hotel Tiki Tiki, a 15 room boutique hotel in leafy surrounds. The decor features plenty of glass and minimalist design.
- Be Playa in Playa del Carmen is a chic boutique property with contemporary rooms with wood floors, hot tubs and excellent views. There is a rooftop pool, a hip bar and a creative seafood restaurant.
- For around £130 per night you can stay in Live Tulum, a small, hip boutique property with great beach access, private jacuzzis and white on white decor.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of coastal properties ideal for making the most of the golden beaches.
- Fly to Cancún International Airport - the largest airport in the region located only 17km (10.5 miles) outside of Cancún. The airport serves a range of domestic and International connection and has bus connections to downtown Cancún.
- If you'd like to rent a car to explore the beautiful coastline of the region - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - from December to April typically provides fantastic weather, perfect for enjoying all the beaches and outdoor activities. It can get busy though, especially from March to April when the springbreakers arrive.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Quintana Roo
AlmaPlena Beach Resort 8 rooms from £65Mahahual, Quintana Roo
A secluded and peaceful stretch of paradise, on the stunning Costa Maya. White on white suites offer sumptuous beds, private balconies, splashes of local art and colourful Mexican tiles. An excellent restaurant serves Mediterranean-Mexican food overlooking the crystal clear waters.Eco break - The clever design of the buildings uses shades and the seabreeze in place of AC and electricty comes from their own wind turbineWildlife Area - Between the jungle and the sea this is a wildlife rich area, eagles, tapirs, coatis, deer and dolphins are commonly sightedBeach Life - A beach-chic retreat with everything from turtle watching to beach volley ball and private terraces for soaking up the sunGreat walks - Set on the powder white sands of a private beach, with jungle on one side and turquoise-blue seas to the otherRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hotel B 45 rooms from £91Cozumel
With its own stunning private beach this hotel is a relaxing retreat. Has its own pool, restaurant and bar as well as spa facilities ideal for unwinding after a day on the sea; beach yoga, gourmet dining, cocktails with music sessions on the floating bar, pool, gardens- there is something for all.Diving - A great base for exploring Cozumel Island’s famous coral reefs. The on-site diving shop can arrange diving and snorkelling tripsHideaway - A place surrounded by Caribbean greenery and a creative spirit, designed for awakening your senses and enjoying small pleasuresGreat walks - beautiful walks along the beach where you can catch the most stunning sunsetsSpa - Spa facilities and wellness packagaes including yoga classes
Pousada Mawimbi 11 rooms from £98Holbox
A colourful boutique property surrounded by palm trees and set on a white sandy beach. White washed rooms are the epitome of boho-chic with natural materials and bright fabrics. Dine on Mexican delicacies and sip cocktails whilst admiring the sunset. The perfect spot for totally unwinding.Beach Life - Located on an island that captures the tropical dream.Birdwatching - Visit Isla Morena (Bird's Island) and admire the many different varities including flamingoes.Diving - Learn how to dive with PADI certified instructors.Kayaking - The hotel provides kayaks free of charge.
BE Playa 23 rooms from £100Playa del Carmen
A chic boutique property in Mexico's beach resort town of Playa del Carmen. Contemporary rooms feature crisp white linen, clean lines, wooden floors and the best have hot tubs with a view. A rooftop pool, hip bar and creative seafood restaurant really make this hotel stand out.Beach Life - Boasting a rooftop pool, seafood restaurant and located just minutes beach.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Tablet
Live Tulum 18 rooms from £104Tulum
A hip boutique property located within Tulum and with easy access to the beach. Stylish suites are all white on white with pops of electric colour and the best have private jacuzzis. Indulgent breakfasts are served and kitchenettes allow budding chefs to trial mexican cooking. Very chic.Local exploring - A chic B&B close to both Tulum's restaurants, bars and cultural sights not to mention the beach.Diving - Explore the spic cenotes (underground sink holes found in the jungle).Sights nearby - Be sure not to miss the impressive Mayan ruins.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Casa de Los Suenos 21 rooms from £111Q.R, Isla Mujeres
An intimate and indulgent resort on the tropical Isla Mujeres. The sweet rooms offer private balconies, dark wood furnishings and scatterings of handmade local crafts, cushions and blankets. Overlooking the turquoise waters is the excellent restaurant GRILL, where there is often music and dancing.Romantic Break - Sip cocktails on your private balcony overlooking the sea, feast on Mexican cuisine by the pool and pamper yourselves in the spaBeach Life - A stunning beach retreat overlooking the ocean, with direct beach access and fantastic watersports facilites just next doorWatersports - Next door you will find Parque de los Sueños waterpark offering a range of activites from ziplining to kayakingHotel Entertainment - You can't beat grabbing a cocktail and settling in by the pool for an afternoon with a good bookRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Zamas Hotel 20 rooms from £111Tulum (Quintana Roo)
A laid-back property located on one of the best stretches of beach in Tulum. Rustic-chic rooms feature wooden furniture, tiled floors, pastel colours and plenty of light. The private villa perfectly serves families. A beach-side restaurant serves up traditional Mayan fare. The ideal beach escape.Beach Life - Located on a stunning white sandy beach and with serious laid-backed vibes.Sights nearby - The property is just 10 minutes from the nearest Mayan ruins.Diving - Open water, cave and cenote diving all available nearby.Fishing - Fly fish in the Sian Ka’an biosphere.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel La Semilla 9 rooms from £111Playa del Carmen (Gonzalo Guerrero)
The adult-only Hotel La Semilla is located in the coastal town of Playa del Carmen, just 200 metres from the beach. With romantic rustic accommodation, furnished in a shabby-chic style. Enjoy splendid buffet breakfasts each morning and relax in the terrace with a drink! Intimate and boutique.Beach Life - Hotel La Semilla is a stunning beach-chic property right on the coast so you can spend your days lounging on the beachRomantic Break - Beautiful accommodation, divine cuisine and long sunset walks on the beach -the ideal romantic getawaySights nearby - The historic Muyil Mayan and Xelha archeological sites are a must-visitDiving - There are plenty of local companies who organise scuba diving toursRecommended by - Tablet
Rancho Encantado 12 rooms from £117Bacalar
An enchanting eco-lodge nestled amidst thick vegetation and overlooking Lake Bacalar. Chic cabins feature terracotta tiled floors, muslin draped beds, white washed walls and pops of turquoise. Plenty of hammocks, a spa and utter tranquility ensure a restful stay. A glorious hideaway.Eco break - Rest assured the hotel is taking care of your carbon footprint leaving you free to totally unwind.Hideaway - Great for couples wanting to get away from the world.Remote - Off the beaten track.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Papaya Playa Project 73 rooms from £127Tulum
A collection of sustainable boho-chic rooms and cabanas on a secluded stretch of powder white beach. Simply styled interiors focus on nature with inspiration coming from Mayan design. A hip beach club serves contemporary Mexican cuisine and houses a lively bar. A beach haven.Beach Life - A beach property situated on a stretch of deserted white sandy beach.Diving - Embark on an excursion of the world renowned Cenote dive.Great walks - Take a class at the hotel spa.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Design Hotels
Casa Ticul 20 rooms from £131Playa del Carmen (LT 08 MZ 151 Col Zacil-Ha)
Intimate, adult-only boutique hotel combines traditional looks with contemporary comforts. Bright rooms and the courtyard swimming pool make this an ideal place for exploring by day, and relaxing in the evening. Breakfast is served poolside and is the perfect way to start the day. Great beach spot.Romantic Break - An adults only hotel built for romance, the palatial suites come with private terraces and hot tubs.Swimming Pool - Small outdoor plunge poolRestrictions on children - Adults only.Full of character
Soho Playa 23 rooms from £138Playa del Carmen (Quinta Roo)
Urban hip hotel in cosmopolitan neighbourhood of Playa del Carmen, sprinkled with good restaurants. Close to the beach, with roof top pool. Start with early mooring yoga or meditation on the terrace with ocean views. Pretty colourful Mayan style rooms, with balconies and hammocks.Lively - The district has a cool vibe with trendy bars, restaurants, good shopping and plenty happening on the beachRestaurant - Bistro serving local and international dishes, seafood, Mango Guacamole and tasty salads, plus a detox menuBeach nearby - Mamita's Beach Club is a short walk form the hotel with a great atmosphereBeach LifeRecommended by - Tablet
Nomade Tulum 38 rooms from £138Tulum
This hotel enjoys a stunning beachfront location in Tulum. It features a range of chic and rustic tents, villas and suites whilst their vegetarian Macondo restaurant serves delicious local cuisine. Forget about the hustle and bustle of modern life at this peaceful seaside retreat, a fantastic spot.Sights nearby - The stunning Tulum Archeological Site, located 6 miles away, is a must visitGreat walks - Wander along the coast at sunset and take in the beautifull seaside viewsViews - Great views from hotelBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Mezzanine 9 rooms from £154Tulum
Trendy barefoot luxury with a secluded beach and tropical gardens. Relax in airy suites and rooms with breathtaking sea views. Enjoy cocktails on the sun terrace or in dappled shade on bean bags. Great water sports and activities on offer. A place to relax in style. Adults only.Honeymoons - Secluded suites boasting Jacuzzis and balconies facing the Caribbean and surrounded by lush jungle and miles unspoilt beaches.Eco break - Environmentally sound, the hotel operates on solar energy, generators, and recycled rainwater.Diving - The reefs just off Tulum’s white sand beaches are home to grouper, small reef sharks and numerous colorful fishLocal markets - Check out the local crafts in Tulum, artisans work with clay, wood, and handmade textiles to create treasures.Recommended by - Fodors, Tablet
The Explorean 56 rooms from £203Cozumel
Right on the beach and surrounded by jungle, this is an ideal destination for nature lovers and active types, with all activities and tours arranged by the hotel included in the price. With its own bar, restaurant and pool on site, a perfect base to unwind with rooms situated in stand-alone casitas.Sights nearby - San Gervasio is the island's most important archaeological site, where you can learn about the mysteries of the Mayan cultureGreat walks - A stunning walk to the centre of the island is organised by the hotel, included in the priceBack to Nature - Right on the Caribbean Sea and surrounded by jungle; features on-site snorkellingKayaking - Kayaking tours can be arranged with the hotel (and included in the price)
Thompson Playa del Carmen 119 rooms from £182Playa del Carmen
A chic beach property with a youthful energy. Contemporary rooms are minimalist in style with epic views, large terraces and luxurious bathrooms. Dine on Mexican cuisine by the beach or on the hip roof terrace. The bar is also on point and serves superb cocktails. A beach haven.Beach Life - A stunning beach, lively nightlife scene and plenty of sunshine. The perfect Mexican experience.Diving - The nearby island of Cozumel offers excellent scuba diving opportunities.Sights nearby - Explore the Mayan remain in the ruined city of Coba.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
CasaSandra 18 rooms from £207Holbox
A small boutique property offering the ultimate in laid-back island life. Swinging hammocks, white washed rooms with linen draped beds and just steps from the perfect white sandy beach. A restaurant specialises in seafood (naturally) and cocktails are served in the pool-side bar. Paradise.Beach Life - Think cocktails, hammocks and white sandy beaches.Sailing - Take a boat trip in search of the enourmous whale shark.Birdwatching - Head to Isla Pajaros, a veritable birder's paradise.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Las Nubes de Holbox 34 rooms from £213Holbox Island
A tropical paradise complete with swaying palm trees and powder white sand beaches. Rustic chic rooms feature uneven white washed walls, beamed ceilings and luxurious bathrooms. A romantic terrace restaurant specialises in seafood. Find numerous activities on the island or simply unwind in the spa.Beach Life - Located in a picture perfect tropical island and just steps from the beach.Kayaking - Explore the coast and canals of the island by kayak.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotel
Encantada Tulum 8 rooms from £221Tulum (Zona Hotelera)
A glorious boho-chic property sat directly on a pristine stretch of white sand. Rooms sat amongst the tree tops allow for epic sea views from the large terraces. Inside the style is simple and chic with plenty of wood and white washed walls. A laid back restaurant serves regional dishes. Fabulous.Beach Life - Set on a stunning stretch of white sandy beach.Local exploring - Easy access to Tulum's Mayan ruins.Great walks - Take long romantic walks along the pristine beach.Diving - Dive in one of the nearby cenotes.Recommended by - I Escape
Andaz Mayakoba 214 rooms from £224Playa del Carmen (Playa del Carmen-Solidaridad)
A slick beach side property offering contemporary style in a truly tropical setting. The Andaz stamp assures quality and this property does not disappoint. Cleanly designed rooms make the most of the epic sea views. A handful of restaurant will keep everyone happy and the activities are boundless.Total relaxation - A 'has it all' property placed on a gorgeous stretch of beach.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic archaeological ruins at Chichen Itza and Tulum.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet
Sanara 19 rooms from £299Tulum
A tranquil haven set between a pristine white sandy beach and tropical jungle. Chic rooms are contemporary in style; think white on white and plenty of glass. Spend rejuvenating days lounging on the beach, practicing yoga and eating superb healthy food. The ideal spot to completely relax.Diving - For a truly breathtaking experience head out scuba diving and marvel in the underwater worldSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Tiki Tiki 15 rooms from £230Tulum (Entre Av. 5 Sur y Av. 10 Sur)
A small boutique hotel set in quiet leafy surrounds on the edge of Tulum. Light airy rooms feature plenty of glass, minimalist style, small terraces and luxury bathrooms. A large central pool is the perfect spot to unwind by. Well priced, chic style and easy access to Tulum's beaches. Superb.Value chic - A reasonably priced stay with Miami-chic style.Sights nearby - Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sian Ka’an.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
Ana y Jose Hotel 23 rooms from £263Tulum (Punta Piedra)
Brilliantly situated half way along the main strand. At Ana y Jose you'll find amazing and discrete service, top class amenities and one of the best sea swimming spots in Tulum. Not forgetting the exotic spa with numerous treatments including a chocolate wrap. An A-list paradise.Diving - The hotel organises diving courses and excursions, explore the beautiful marine life of Mexico.Fishing - Fishing trips can be chartered from the front desk, head out on a full or half day adventure.Great walks - Beautiful sandy beaches that stretch on and on, perfect for an evening stroll.Sights nearby - This hotel is only a five minute drive from Tulum’s ancient Maya ruins.
Mukan Resort 10 rooms from £232Tulum (Sian Ka'an Biosphere)
This resort is in the remote Sian Ka’an Nature Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage site dedicated to preserving nature of the Yucatán coast. Expect beautiful walks, guided snorkelling on the reef, scuba diving, birdwatching and canoeing, creative locally-inspired cuisine, and a relaxing, neat spa.Back to Nature - Set in Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage site dedicated to preserving the flora and fauna of the coastHideaway - A far cry from the mega-resorts of Cancun, this hotel is in the remote Sian Ka’an Nature ReserveEco break - The resort has a very eco-conscious ethicFishing - Sian Ka’an saltwater lagoons are great for fly fishing, with a range of game fish: bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook and barracudaRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
Habitas 32 rooms from £238Tulum, Quintana Roo
This eco-resort is nestled on the beach in Tulum. Rooms are ocean or jungle-facing and bring the outside in with natural accents; get back to nature with an outdoor rain shower. Ocean rooms boast floor-to-ceiling windows looking onto the sea. Dine al fresco at Moro Restaurant; a chic nature retreat.Romantic Break - Book a jungle-facing room for a couples' getaway to remember; couples love the atmosphere at this adults-only getawayBeach Life - With rooms looking directly onto the ocean, this hotel makes a perfect choice for beach loversEco break - Take a holiday that doesn't cost the earth by staying at this unique eco resortGreat walks - Discover the natural wonders of Tulum’s jungle on the hotel's winding paths on a long walk
Casa Las Tortugas 24 rooms from £243Holbox
A chilled out beach retreat on the idyllic island of Holbox. Laid back and elegant rooms overlook the courtyard and offer handmade hammocks for chilling. With a choice of three restaurants, wonderful cocktails and an incredible spa which uses local products and treatments. Ultimate relaxation.Beach Life - Popular with kitesurfers and scubadivers for good reason, and for the less sporty- swimming with turtles in the warm watersRomantic Break - A laid back getaway with hammocks on your patio, sunset cocktails on the roof and empty stretches of beach for strollingResortKayaking - Take a kayak tour through the coastal mangrove forests and spot the friendly flamingosRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Great Small Hotels
Viceroy Riviera Maya 41 rooms from £305Playa del Carmen
Stunning private villas surrounded by tropical forest and white sands. Watersports abound, delicious fresh fish restaurant, and fantastic Mayan spa to top it all off. A thrill for spa-junkies and beach seekers alike.Beach Life - Whether it's sitting sipping a cocktail on the white sands or kite surfing across the bay- this is a beach bums paradise!Private villas - Private luxury villas only.Swimming Pool - Pools looking on to beachLuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Maria del Mar 18 rooms from £367Tulum (Tulum-Boca Paila Road, KM 5)
Enjoying an idyllic beachside setting in Tulum, Maria del Mar is a truly first-rate adults only retreat. The rooms and suites feature a beach chic design with plenty of light and natural hues, whilst the Mina restaurant serves up delicious Mexican-Argentinian fusion cuisine. Wonderfully romantic!Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the nearby Tulum Mayan archaeological siteGreat walks - Head off hiking through the Tulum National ParkRestrictions on children - Adult onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Esencia 10 rooms from £378Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo
Boutique at its best, Esencia has it all: direct access to Xpu-Ha beach and two pools, you will have no end of places to sun yourself. That is if you can find the time with all the activities on offer! Simply yet stunningly decorated with an excellent menu. One for the entire family!GymLocal markets - Nearby X-plor activity park for kids and the young at heartSights nearby - Visit the famous Mayan ruins of TulumKayaking - through the mangroves at Sian Ka'anRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Small Luxury Hotels
The Beach 28 rooms from £322Tulum (Zona Hotelera)
A stunning beach side property perfectly encapsulating boho-chic style. Airy rooms are all white on white with linen draped four posters, luxurious bathrooms and lovely views. Just steps from a secluded stretch of white sandy beach, offering yoga and a spoiling spa. This is beach perfection.Beach Life - It says it in the name and certainly delivers (a glorious beach).Sights nearby - Explore the ancient ruins of Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Casa de Las Olas 7 rooms from £342Tulum
A boutique eco hotel set on its own private beach. Made up of just 7 suites this is an intimate spot. Rooms are traditional in style; think white washed walls, beamed ceilings and large floor to ceiling windows. Every effort has been made to make this a legitimately sustainable property. Superb.Beach Life - A boho boutique property situated right on a private white sandy beach.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the Unesco World Heritage Site Sian Ka'an.Sailing - Take a boat trip and view majestic Mayan ruins.Restrictions on children - Children over 5+ are welcome.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
La Zebra 16 rooms from £344Tulum (Ejido Pino Suarez)
A chic boutique property situated on quiet stretch of white sandy beach. Contemporary rooms have an organic feel with natural materials, plenty of light and soft hues. A lively bar offers tequila sampling and a restaurant specialises in seafood. The ideal spot for a relaxing beach holiday.Beach Life - Located on a glorious stretch of white sandy beach.Great walks - Tulum has numerous yoga studios and instructors can be arranged to come to the property for private classes.Birdwatching - Visit the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve for exciting birdwatching opportunities.Fishing - The Mayan Riviera is home to some of the best sport fishing in the world.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
BE Tulum 20 rooms from £363Tulum
A collections of atmospheric suites hidden amidst the Mexican jungle. Rooms are rustic chic with stylishly placed drift-wood, free standing baths and cow-hide rugs. A romantic restaurant mixes Mediterranean and Mexican flavours. Boasting a pool, spa and beach location this is the perfect hideaway.Hideaway - Located in the jungle and next to a secluded white sandy beach.Birdwatching - Spot birds while on a kayak ride at Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve.Sights nearby - Explore the 13th century Mayan ruins of Tulum.Restrictions on children - Children over 12 are welcome.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Casa Malca 40 rooms from £395Boca Paila Tulum
A trendy beach side property in glorious Tulum. Stylish rooms feature rustic wooden doors, chandeliers and contemporary artwork all set against a sleek white background. Boasting three pools, a spa and private beach. A lively bar stirs up cocktails until the early hours. Fabulous.Beach Life - Find three pools, access to a white sandy beach and a lively cocktail bar. Beach perfection.Birdwatching - Search for birds from a kayak in Sian Ka’an biosphere reserve.Sights nearby - Explore the impressive and mystical cenotes.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels, Tablet
Nizuc Resort & Spa 274 rooms from £399Cancún (21.26,)
Nizuc Resort & Spa enjoys a beachfront location on the secluded Punta Nizuc and offers beautiful panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea. This designer hotel features chic and contemporary accommodation whilst you can spend your days lounging carefree by the seaside. A luxurious and top-notch stay!Total relaxation - There are a variety of treatements on offer at the luxurious spa or you can book yourself a massage to truly unwindFoodies - Take advantage of the six on site restaurants serving Mexican, Peruvian, Asian and Mediterranean cuisineOutstanding locationSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa 63 rooms from £403Quintana Roo
A fabulous resort set on a beautiful stretch of white sandy beach. Luxurious rooms feature king size beds, sunken baths, large terraces and the best have private plunge pools. A spectacular spa is worthy of a visit alone and the Med-Mex cuisine is noteworthy too. Beach perfection.Spa breaks - Boasting a glorious spa complete with with self-serve muds, meditation pools and treatments that use local herbs and fruits.Beach Life - Located on a stunning stretch of white sandy beach and backed by lush jungle. Tropical paradise.Diving - Some of the Riviera Maya’s most spectacular reefs are right off Maroma’s shore.Sights nearby - Visit local ruins and cenotes near Chichen Itza, Coba and Tulum.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Jashita 26 rooms from £415Tulum
A luxury beach-side property overlooking glistening turquoise waters. Indulgent suites are all white on white with fabulous bathrooms, spectacular views and sink-in-to beds. The restaurant boasts some of the finest Mexican and Italian cuisine in the area. A romantic spot for a beach holiday.Sights nearby - Visit the extraordinary Mayan archaeological site Chichen Itza.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
Villas Flamingos 14 rooms from £487Lazaro Cardenas, Holbox
A stunning eco-resort on the peaceful island of Holbox. The rooms make elegant use of local crafts and building methods and many of the balconies offer jacuzzis. With a private stretch of beach, excellent spa services, and a range of dining options this is the ideal spot to reconnect with nature.Total relaxation - The vibe here is super relaxed, almost horizontal- and it rubs off! Bask in the sun, lounge by the pool or indulge in a massageBack to Nature - Reconnect with nature at this eco resort, the rooms feature local natural materials and give pride of place to oceanviewsBirdwatching - The island is home to a wide range of birds and your private balcony is a perfect place to watch them fromRiding - The beaches here lend themselves perfectly to horseriding, ask at the hotel for detailsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
La Valise 9 rooms from £500Zona hotelera Tulum
A wonderfully refreshing and intimate resort on the Caribbean coastline of Tulum. Beautiful suites with high palapa roofs, local artworks, and balconies complete with hammocks and views of the azure ocean beyond. The open air restaurant serves innovative modern takes on traditional Mexican cuisine.Back to Nature - Immerse yourself in nature at this resort sandwiched between lush jungle and sandy beaches with rooms that open out on one sideTotal relaxation - Day beds and hammocks, leisurly lunches and long suppers, in room Maya cocoa body scrubs and deep tissue massagesGreat walks - Wander the beach or the jungle paths and allow yourself to reconnect with the natural worldSights nearby - Tulum’s 13th-century Maya ruins are a must see for every visitor- utterly spectacularRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Kin Sol Soleil 10 rooms from £534Puerto Morelos, Quintana Roo
A tranquil property set on a beautiful white sandy beach. Atmospheric throughout, find Mexican flavour in the design; think white washed walls, contemporary art and antique furniture. Just steps from the beach and boasting a stunning pool. The perfect place to completely unwind.Beach Life - An authentic Mexican experience on a pristine stretch of beach.Sights nearby - Explore striking Mayan ruins.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Rosewood Mayakoba 128 rooms from £1382Playa del Carmen Km 298
A secluded luxury property set away from lively Tulum. Stunning suites are simply designed with large glass to ceiling windows, enormous contemporary bathrooms and dark wooden furniture set against white walls. Easy access to white sandy beaches and superb cuisine. Beachside perfection.Beach Life - A chic luxury property based on a gorgeous white sand beach with crystal clear waters.Sights nearby - Visit the famed Mayan ruins of Chichen Itza.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet