Search the best hotels in Rabat
Rabat, Morocco’s often underrated capital, is an enchanting city filled with architectural gems, historic streets and verdant gardens. There are a range of accommodation options available, including simple B&Bs and opulent hotels suited to a whole array of budgets. Many of the best places to stay in Rabat are heritage riads in the heart of the historic Medina, whilst one of our favourite family-friendly hotels is set in five acres of gardens, within easy reach of both the city and the beach.
Far from being a tourist hotspot, Rabat risks being overlooked in favour of ever-popular Marrakesh or Fez, yet there’s plenty to delight eager travellers. Stroll along the narrow alleyways of the walled Medina, or discover the fortified Kasbah des Oudaias, built onto a clifftop in the 11th century, before taking a picturesque boat ride along the Bou Regreg River. Near the Kasbah sits one of the city’s loveliest surprises, the serene Andalusian Gardens, which are ideal for contemplative wanders amongst the plants and flowers. Take time to marvel at the unfinished 12th century Hassan Tower, the grand Mausoleum of King Mohammed V and the Royal Palace of Rabat, also the site of a number of key government buildings. Art and history aficionados can visit a host of contemporary art galleries and impressive archaeological museums, too.
On the outskirts of the city sits the pre-Islamic Roman city of Chellah, which is filled with flowers and fascinating ruins to explore, as well as the Moulay Bousselham National Park, where herons, flamingoes and egrets make their home in a warm aquamarine lagoon. Head towards the coast for miles of beaches stretching all the way to Casablanca — wonderful for a day trip and a must for sunbathers and surfers. There’s horse riding and golf on offer for active visitors, whilst many travellers will adore simply ambling along blue and white painted streets, visiting the thriving markets and admiring beautiful crafts from all over the country.
Attracting far fewer tourists than many of Morocco’s more famous cities, Rabat brims with atmospheric charm and heaps of history. It is also relatively car-free and fairly relaxed, making it even more appealing to families or easygoing couples. Whether you choose to hide away in a romantic riad in the Medina or to unwind in a swish Ambassador’s district villa, the best places to stay in Rabat are beautifully-appointed havens of tranquility.
The best places to stay in Rabat
For the historic Medina
- L'Alcazar is an enchanting riad with atmospheric, well-proportioned rooms in the Medina. Think intricately tiled floors, arched windows, antique furniture and free-standing baths. The hotel boasts a pretty central courtyard, hammam and rooftop with views. Very chic & grown-up.
- Dar Zen is a charming B&B with three beautiful rooms in the historic city centre. There’s a plant-filled central courtyard with a plunge pool, and hearty breakfasts are served on the lovely roof terrace. Dinner can also be arranged. Pick this place for an intimate, traditional feel and soothing decor.
- Euphoriad promises a luxurious boutique stay in the heart of the Medina. The eight rooms and suites are chic and contemporary, whilst white and blue communal spaces dazzle with intricate fretwork and patterned tiles. Unwind in the hammam, feast in the restaurant and admire panoramic views from the impressive rooftop pool. Romantic indulgence.
- Dar Shâan fuses stylish modern design and bright pops of colour with heritage architecture in 11 attractive rooms — including some family suites. Facilities include a hammam and massage room, and the location is ideal for exploring the old city. The roof terrace’s sitting areas and swimming pool are a big highlight. Great for those eager to see the sights.
For active families
- Villa Mandarine offers comfortable rooms and suites with attractive views over five acres of leafy orange gardens, as well as a swimming pool, gym, spa, bar and restaurant. Run by a multi-generational French family, this is a wonderful place to unwind. The city’s main sights are within easy reach, and there are stacks of activities for the whole family — including horse riding, golf and surfing. Pick the two-bedroom Suite Villa Mandarine if travelling with children.
For contemporary luxe
- Villa Diyafa Hotel & Spa offers a peaceful stay in the exclusive Ambassador’s district, with luxuriously-appointed rooms, suites and a villa. The vibe is minimalist and chic, with cool artwork and pops of colour. Hit the state-of-the-art gym, take a dip in the 25m swimming pool, savour gourmet fare and enjoy rejuvenating treatments at the spoiling spa. A smart, spacious base for business travellers or holidaymakers.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Rabat-Sale International Airport and take a taxi into the city centre. Most hotels will also be happy to arrange an airport pickup. There are regular trains connecting Rabat to other Moroccan cities, including Casablanca, so onwards travel can be easily organised.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Rabat is a great year-round destination. Travel during the summer months (May to September) for the best weather, when temperatures average between 24 and 29°C.
Still not sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Fez.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Morocco.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Rabat
Best Hotels in Rabat
Dar Zen Rabat (Médina) 3 rooms from £82Boutique - A beautifully converted traditional Rabat house complete with a beautiful roof terrace and central courtyardLocal exploring - Ideally situated in the centre of Rabat within the Medina and minutes from the MarinaSights nearby - Hop on one of the taxi row boats across the lagoon to the sister city, SaléLocal markets - Explore the market stalls along the narrow lanes in the Medina
A charming guesthouse in the heart of historic Rabat. The traditional house has been beautifully converted with the potted plant-filled courtyard now complete with plunge pool. Indulgent breakfasts are served on the roof terrace (along with fabulous views) while rooms keep their traditional charm. See More
L'Alcazar Rabat (Bab Laalou) 8 rooms from £101Local exploring - An atmospheric property well positioned to access Rabat's sights.Surfing - At the nearby town of Kenitra there's great surfing opportunities.Sights nearby - Wander through the enchanting medieval fortified city of Chellah.Traditional
An enchanting riad well located near the centre of Rabat. Atmospheric rooms are well proportioned and keep their original charm; think intricately tiled floors, arched windows, antique furniture and free standing baths. Boasting a pretty central courtyard, hammam and rooftop with views. Very chic. See More
Euphoriad Rabat 8 rooms from £121Boutique - This 19th century Rabat Pacha’s residence turned boutique hotel mixes traditional Moroccan craftsmanship with modern designRomantic Break - Sip cocktails on the roof terrace, unwind in the hammam, and soak in the large in-room bathtubs (big enough for two)Sights nearby - Wander around the historic Kasbah of Oudayas, a fortress with white and blue facadesSwimming Pool - Roof terrace pool
A small luxury riad set in the historic Medina area of Rabat. The traditional building has been beautifully renovated mixing traditional Moroccan craftsmanship with chic contemporary style. Grand suites boast in-room bathtubs, there's the obligatory hammam, and a stunning roof top pool. See More
Dar Shaan Rabat (Ancienne Medina) 11 rooms from £125Local exploring - Perfectly located in the heart of the city just steps from the bustling medina and within walking distance of the marinaBoutique - A small boutique with chic design and offering the amenities of a larger hotelSights nearby - Stroll down to the Bab Oudaia gate and explore the surrounding Kasbah filled with pretty blue and white housesLocal markets - Explore the covered market stalls in the neighbouring medina
A small boutique, in central Rabat, offering chic design and extensive facilities. Individually styled rooms feature large works of contemporary art. Pick a suite for the impressive traditional architecture. A rooftop pool offers spectacular views and the hammam and massage room are a nice touch. See More
Villa Diyafa Rabat 38 rooms from £151Hideaway - Set within the Ambassador's district of Rabat - the most upmarket area of the city and perfect for a quiet city breakLuxury - A small luxury hotel with extensive facilities and superb serviceSights nearby - Wander through the narrow and picturesque streets of historic Rabat MedinaBoutiqueRecommended by - Great Small Hotels , Kiwi Collection
A chic design hotel set in the upmarket Ambassador's district. Vibrant interiors are minimalist in design with bold splashes of colour. Glass-fronted rooms feature luxury bathrooms and the best have balconies. Facilities are extensive with a gourmet restaurant, large pool and spoiling spa. See More
Villa Mandarine Rabat (Souissi) 36 rooms from £192Local exploring - Located in the heart of the city, within 5-acres of orange grove, this is a perfectly quiet spot to easily explore the city fromActive Holiday - With golf, horse riding, running trails, and surfing all available locally, this is an ideal choice for an active city staySurfing - Sandy beaches and surf-breaks are within a 10-minute driveSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A grand family home turned into a chic boutique stay. Set in lush verdant gardens, yet right in the heart of the city. Spacious rooms and suites feature expansive windows, antiques, and contemporary art. Complete with a restaurant, large outdoor pool, hammam, and spa - this is a perfect city base. See More