Search the best hotels in Christchurch
Christchurch is the largest city on the South Island, and has plenty of choice when it comes to eating, drinking and sleeping. Some of the best places to stay in Christchurch are the wonderful old country houses just outside the city proper, most offer wonderful tranquility in beautiful grounds, but just a short drive from all the action.
Christchurch has always been the most English of New Zealand’s cities, somewhere you can punt on the River Avon or take tea in the Botanical Gardens, but these days many of us are most familiar with the look of the city post earthquake. Christchurch suffered three major quakes, in 2010 and 2011, so the city is still rebuilding. There are empty lots, but interesting art installations fill many voids and there’s plenty of positivity about each new re-opening. Additionally, many of the unmissable sights in Christchurch remain intact and beyond the city itself you’ll find several wildlife reserves and parks offering a range of activities to suit all ages.
What Not To Miss:
- Often referred to as 'The Garden City' - it's quickly obvious to visitors why. Beyond the beautifully maintained public spaces, Christchurch's Botanical Gardens are a stunning array of New Zealand flora and fauna set in the heart of the city.
- Experience New Zealand's rich cultural and natural heritage alongside rare artifacts at the Canterbury Museum. Visitors can also be transported back in time to the age of exploration of the Antarctic with various exhibitions.
- Take a memorable ride on the TranzAlpine train from Christchurch to Greymouth - coast to coast. Unlike a regular passenger train, the carriages are set up to provide the best possible view for passengers from the Canterbury plains to the majestic Southern Alps through to lush forests, allowing travellers to experience all the diverse scenery that New Zealand has to offer.
- Have an extremely cool adventure at the International Antarctic Centre with various freezing replications including snow every six minutes and an Antarctic storm. There's no shortage of things to do in this frozen playground, guaranteed to be fun for all ages.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Christchurch range from chic city pads to luxury lodges just out of town ensuring that all visitors will be able to find something to suit their holiday intentions.
The Best Places to Stay in Christchurch
For city chic
- The George is a 53 room boutique hotel in the heart of Christchurch. Here you’ll enjoy top facilities and great views, both inside and out - inside there’s local art, and outside there’s Hagley Park. The George has two award winning restaurants, and free mountain bike hire.
- The Classic Villa is a bright pink boutique B&B converted from a Canterbury villa. Rooms have all the mod. cons. and there’s a delicious, Mediterranean style breakfast on offer.
- The Grange Boutique B&B and Motel has just six rooms and studios, converted from a Grade II listed Victorian mansion. Rooms are large and you’re close to the centre of town. And all starting from under £120 per night.
For great value
- Finlay Banks Boutique Bed and Breakfast is a great value, two room B&B with a lovely outdoor patio and rose garden. You’re just ten minutes drive from the centre of town, and can expect a generous breakfast laid on every morning.
For country house luxury
- At Otahuna Lodge, a wonderful old country house surrounded by nationally recognised, stunning gardens more than a hundred years old, guests stay in light, spacious rooms decorated with antiques. And enjoy great food - or cooking classes - care of a fantastic on-site chef.
- Stoneleigh Lodge is a luxurious lodge, set within 20 acres of its own landscaped grounds - some of which is now an alpaca farm. Rooms are large and light, and you’re slightly out of town, en route to the wineries.
- Clearview Lodge is another luxurious lodge set within its own grounds. Here you can stay in a tasteful decorated suite, surrounded by olive groves, orchards and grape vines.
For an apartment or holiday house
- If you'd rather book your own space, visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of apartments and holiday homes across the city
- Fly to Christchurch Airport a mere 10km (6 miles) outside the city centre with fantastic connections across the globe.
- Catch a ferry across the picturesque Cook Strait between the North and South Islands with ferries able to transport cars as well.
- Take a scenic train journey across New Zealand from Christchurch, on one of the South Island's two remaining long-distance passenger trains
- To explore the dramatic scenery and extensive vineyards beyond Christchurch, you may want to rent a car - for prices, we recommend using our online partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - visitors to Christchurch are in the enviable position of being able to take advantage of the city's versatility across the seasons. Enjoy the huge snowsports scene in the winter seasons (June-August) or explore the extensive vineyards during summer (December-February).
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Christchurch,
- Extend your search and take a look at all our South Island recommendations.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Christchurch
Best Hotels in Christchurch
Eco Villa Christchurch Central 8 rooms from £75Eco break - Diligent in recycling and the use of sustainable goods - furnished with re-claimed and upcycled wood and textilesGroups - The communal kitchen and spaces lend themselves to group bookings, with whole-house deals availableCity Style - A stylish converted townhouse in the heart of Christchurch's central districtLively area - Most of the city's bars and nightlife can be found in the central district which the property occupies
Housed in a large, grand, yet charming villa in the centre of Christchurch. Eco Villa is a sustainable, community-minded B&B which offers relaxed shared spaces and large, comfortable rooms. Outdoor bathtubs are set within the impressive garden. A characterful stay for families or couples. See More
Finlay Banks Boutique Bed and Breakfast Christchurch (Burwood) 2 rooms from £95Restrictions on children - Not allowedFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Grange Boutique B&B and Motel Christchurch 6 rooms from £119Sights nearby - Botanic Gardens, Hagley Park, Christchurch casino
A range of rooms and studios available in a family owned and run establishment. B&B section in 1874 heritage grade-II listed Victorian mansion, Motel in newer building. Rooms are large, spacious and tasteful. Close to centre of Christchurch and sights such as Botanic Gardens. See More
Hotel 115 Christchurch 37 rooms from £113Local exploring - Well positioned in the heart of Christchurch with many of the main attractions within walking distanceSailing - Can be booked nearby.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The Classic Villa Christchurch Arts Centre 12 rooms from £150Quirky - Bright pink in colourRestrictions on children - Must be 12 and overRecommended by - Fodors
Stoneleigh Lodge Christchurch (Ohoka) from £160Swimming Pool - Heated indoor poolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Two suites in a luxury lodge set in 20 acres of landscaped grounds with three lakes and a working alpaca farm. Rooms, large and light with modern amenities. Use of an indoor heated pool during winter, and close to wineries, skiing and whale spotting destination. Ideal for an action packed holiday. See More
Clearview Lodge Christchurch (Harewood) 3 rooms from £172Birdwatching - Seasonal visitors in garden include paradise ducks and kingfishersSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Establishment Christchurch (ILAM) 3 rooms from £141Active Holiday - Christchurch is the perfect tourist destination - with plentiful activities both in the city and in the surrounding countrysideIntimate - An elegant small hotel with just three suites - with a grown-up feel and attentive hosts, this is a smart and intimate stayGolf - The Hagley Golf Course and Russley Golf Club and just five minutes from the propertyRestrictions on children - Children over 12 are welcomed
A smart boutique located just 10 minutes from the centre of Christchurch and offering an elegant and grown-up stay. The contemporary structure, built with plenty of glass, features spacious and bright suites. The living areas have a homely communal feel and there's a large garden to unwind in. See More
The George, Christchurch Christchurch 53 rooms from £216Views - Overlooking picturesque Hagley Park and River AvonSights nearby - Short walk from museum, botanical gardens, casinoHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors
Hotel Montreal Christchurch 26 rooms from £292City Style - With contemporary interiors that nod to the city's favourite past-time, this hotel has plenty of local Christchurch styleRomantic Break - Offering cosy, well-appointed guestrooms with sit-out balconies, book this hotel for a romantic city breakLocal exploring - This hotel's central location is perfect for local exploring in and around the cityGreat walks - Discover downtown Christchurch on foot with a long walk, starting with a cocktail on the celebrated Victoria Street
Otahuna Lodge Christchurch 7 rooms from £642Garden - Stunning 118 year old gardens laid out by A.E. Lowe who trained at Kew Gardens & include a lovely potager, lake and Dutch gardenBack to Nature - The song of native birds invites guests to discover hidden glades, ponds and organic fruit, vegetables and nuts in the gardensLocal exploring - There are many sights to see and activities to do in the areaCooking classes - A cooking lesson with Chef Jimmy McIntyre provides an overview of the philosophies behind the Lodge’s celebrated food and wineRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
An historic mansion set in lush gardens at the foot of the cone of an ancient volcano. All suites have private sitting rooms and en-suite bathroom. Breakfast and 5-course dinner included using home-grown organic ingredients. A quiet country retreat, with many walking trails and sights close by. See More