Search the best hotels in Christchurch
The largest metropolis on the South Island, Christchurch has been dubbed ‘The Garden City’, for its leafy streets and plethora of green spaces. It’s a fascinating city to visit as a couple, or with family and friends, offering travellers a huge array of cultural attractions, foodie hotspots and outdoorsy activities. Whether you’re dreaming of kicking back in an Edwardian B&B or dining in style in a hip city hotel, our list of the best places to stay in Christchurch has it all.
Arts and history buffs should explore the Canterbury Museum, Christchurch Arts Centre and Christchurch Art Gallery, as well as the Cardboard Cathedral. To delve into the lasting impact of the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes — and the city’s admirably resilient spirit — look to the Quake City Museum and the Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. Nature lovers, on the other hand, can walk or cycle along trails in 161-hectare Hagley Park and the famous Botanical Gardens, or go punting along the Avon River. Willowbank Wildlife Reserve, Orana Wildlife Park and the International Antarctic Centre are all family favourites.
For adventures beyond the city, hop aboard the TranzAlpine and marvel at the majestic Southern Alps and the Canterbury plains, or visit Akaroa and the spectacular Banks Peninsula. Whether you choose to base yourself in downtown or to unwind in tranquil historic neighbourhoods, our pick of the best places to stay in Christchurch promises easy access to a huge range of attractions.
The Best Places to Stay in Christchurch
For a Charming B&B
- The Grange Boutique B&B and Motel has six restored rooms in a charming grade-II listed Victorian mansion, built in 1874, and six studios in a newer motel building. Owner-run, relaxed and characterful, this is a great pick for couples, families, friends or groups. Studios have some self-catering options, whilst B&B guests can tuck into full English breakfasts.
- The Classic Villa offers a boutique B&B stay in a bright pink Italian-style villa. The 12 classic rooms are very comfortable, and delicious Mediterranean breakfasts set guests up for the day. Opposite the Christchurch Arts Centre. Good for couples or friends.
- Dyers House is a gorgeous Edwardian villa in the pretty Cashmere Hills. With three cosy, traditional bedrooms, flower-filled gardens and welcoming hosts, this is a top B&B for a relaxing break. Small weddings for up to 30 guests can be hosted in the garden. Adults only.
For City Style
- The George is a 53-room boutique hotel in the heart of Christchurch, close to Hagley Park. Feast on award-winning cuisine at 50 Bistro, borrow bikes to cycle around the city, and enjoy cooking classes or wine tastings at the hotel. A chic and luxurious city base.
- Hotel Montreal promises a hip city pad, with slick contemporary interiors and nods to Christchurch's polo-playing past. Sit-out balconies are a nice touch. A smart city hotel for well-heeled travellers, romantics and business visitors.
- Eliza's Manor dates back to 1861, and now houses an 8-bedroom boutique hotel with a gourmet restaurant in central Christchurch. Interiors fuse original charm with a playful sense of style, including velvet upholstery, big bathtubs & inviting beds. Sip craft cocktails & savour High Tea in the atmospheric dining room. For couples or friends.
For Families or Groups
- Hotel 115 is a chic city hotel, but it's also a top family spot due to its inter-connecting suites and child-friendly spaces. Think bunk beds and teepees for the little ones! Adults will appreciate the swish modern rooms, central location and free access to the pool & sauna at the Heritage Health Club.
- Eco Villa is available on an exclusive basis, for big groups or families travelling together. With eight rooms and 6.5 bathrooms, leafy gardens, a large kitchen and shared sitting room, the villa is perfect for those looking to self-cater and kick back in between city activities. The friendly owners are on hand with tips, and the sustainable, upcycling ethos is impressive. Great fun.
For Rural Luxury
- Otahuna Lodge promises a wonderful escape within lush 118-year-old gardens, just south of the city. Expect elegant, antique-filled rooms, heaps of history and fabulous food. Chef Jimmy McIntyre crafts superb breakfasts and five-course dinners using home-grown organic ingredients. Cooking classes are also excellent. A romantic retreat.
For Great Value
- Golden Hotel opened in early 2022, offering slick, modern studios with kitchenettes, two-bedroom suites for families, and well-equipped disabled-access rooms on the ground floor. With a Vietnamese café onsite, badminton gear for the garden and a friendly feel, this is an ideal base for an affordable stay in the city.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Christchurch International Airport, just 9km from the city centre. Travel to your hotel by car or bus. Once you're in the city, you can easily drive, cycle or explore by tram.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking around 18-21°C between December and April. June to August trips are brilliant for snowsports enthusiasts.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay In Akaroa.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the South Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Christchurch
Best Hotels in Christchurch
Golden Hotel Christchurch (Riccarton) 23 rooms from £70Value chic - An affordable choice for families, business travellers or those visiting students at the nearby University of CanterburySights nearby - Catch a game a Rugby League Park (2km away) or a horse race at Riccarton RacecourseOther Activities - Borrow badminton equipment from the hotel to play in the gardenLocal markets - Visit the Riccarton Sunday Market to shop for local produce
Opened in early 2022, this ultra-modern hotel is a top pick for friendly, affordable city stays as a couple, or with friends and family. Interiors are smart and modern, with kitchenettes and well-equipped disabled access. Two-bedroom suites will suit families. Plus there's a Vietnamese café onsite. See More
Eliza's Manor Christchurch 8 rooms from £105Historic - Built in 1861 by CW Wyatt, the manor has been a boarding house, private hospital, lodging house, family home & boutique hotelCity Style - A stylish boutique pad, fusing historic charm with hip, contemporary interiors for a fun city stayRomantic Break - Couples will love the sumptuous interiors, great food, lovely bar & intimate feelLocal markets - Feast on local produce at the Riverside Market, or the Saturday Riccarton Market
An 8-bedroom boutique hotel with a gourmet restaurant in central Christchurch. The manor dates back to 1861, and interiors fuse original charm with a chic, playful sense of style, including velvet upholstery, big bathtubs & cosy beds. Sip craft cocktails & savour terrific High Teas. Lovely. See More
The Grange Boutique B&B and Motel Christchurch 6 rooms from £119Museums - Head to the Arts Centre, the Canterbury Museum or 161-hectare Hagley Park & the Botanical Gardens - all within walking distanceValue chic - A welcoming B&B & motel offering great rooms at affordable rates for groups & families. Well-located for exploringHistoric - Heritage Grade II-listed Victorian mansion originally built in 1874Golf - A 5-minute drive from Hagley Golf Course, perfect for keen golfers
A range of rooms and studios available in a family-owned and run establishment. B&B section in an 1874 heritage grade-II listed Victorian mansion, motel in newer building. Rooms are large, spacious and contemporary. Close to the centre of Christchurch and sights such as the Botanic Gardens. See More
Hotel 115 Christchurch 37 rooms from £113Local exploring - Well positioned in the heart of Christchurch with many of the main attractions within walking distanceSights nearby - Take the little ones to Orana Wildlife Park or to see alpacas & dolphins in Akaroa’s french colonyOther Activities - Hop aboard a Lord of the Rings tour to visit various filming locations in the Canterbury areaFamilies - A brilliant family choice, with bunk beds, teepees and games for little ones
A chic boutique hotel in the heart of Christchurch. Spacious rooms have large domed windows, sink-into beds and luxurious bathrooms. With the welcoming service, child-friendly spaces and proximity to the city's major attractions, this is a smart choice for a city stay as a couple or family. See More
The Classic Villa Christchurch Arts Centre 12 rooms from £150Cycling - Enjoy 60km of cycleways, including along the Avon River - this is NZ's most popular city for cyclistsMuseums - Stroll to The Christchurch Art Gallery, The Christchurch Museum & other nearby cultural highlightsLocal exploring - A historic villa in central Christchurch, perfect for culture buffs and keen on-foot explorersHistoric - Built in 1899, this Italian-style villa won a heritage award for its tasteful restorationRecommended by - Fodors
Boutique B&B in a bright pink Italian-style villa in Canterbury. The 12 rooms have top amenities, and delicious Mediterranean breakfasts of fresh tropical fruits and local produce set guests up for the day. Eco-friendly and close to sights such as Botanic Gardens and Christchurch Arts Centre. See More
Dyers House Christchurch (Cashmere) 3 rooms from £200Historic - A lovingly restored Edwardian mansion, built in 1906 and now boasting modern facilities but retaining its original charmOwner managed - Owners Barry & Angela are a delight, making guests feel very welcome with baked goods, breakfasts & recommendationsSights nearby - Book a tour of the fascinating home of the crime novelist & dramatist Ngaio MarshRomantic Break - Ideal for a romantic escape, with friendly hosts and plenty of intimate charm
A gorgeous Edwardian villa in the pretty Cashmere Hills, offering 3 inviting, traditional guest rooms — some with garden views and fireplaces. Hosts Angela & Barry cook up big breakfasts and offer heaps of local recommendations. Plan an intimate garden wedding or hide away in bliss as a couple. See More
The George, Christchurch Christchurch 53 rooms from £216Learning - The hotel's collection of innovative NZ art has been refined since the 1990s by curator Stephen Gleeson, also an NZ sculptorFoodies - Executive Chef Chanaka Jayabahu heads award-winning 50 Bistro, specialising in seasonal fare. Great for keen foodiesWine tasting - Enjoy 5-course Winemaker's Dinners, with each dish matched to wines from Misha's Vineyard & Langmeil WinesMountain biking - Borrow bikes & helmets from the hotel, and head out to explore the city or cycle along the Avon RiverRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors
Hotel Montreal Christchurch 26 rooms from £292City Style - With contemporary interiors that nod to the city's favourite past-time, this hotel has plenty of local Christchurch styleDesigner Shopping - Hit the boutiques of The Colombo, the Arts Centre and New Regent Street, or shop at the legendary BallantynesRomantic Break - Offering cosy, well-appointed guestrooms with sit-out balconies, book this hotel for a romantic city breakGreat walks - Discover downtown Christchurch on foot with a long walk, starting with a cocktail on the celebrated Victoria Street
Eco Villa Christchurch Central 8 rooms from £400Groups - With 8 bedrooms and 6.5 bathrooms, this is a top spot for fun group trips - there's a big kitchen and shared seating areas, tooOther Activities - Nisha runs a romantic herbal tea and bath evening in the garden, infusing the outdoor baths with relaxing herbs and flowersEco break - Diligent in recycling and the use of sustainable goods - furnished with re-claimed and upcycled wood and textilesSights nearby - The 'Cardboard Cathedral' and Victoria Square are architectural points of interest nearby
A sustainable, community-minded 8-bedroom villa offering relaxed shared spaces and a big kitchen in the centre of Christchurch. Outdoor bathtubs are set within the impressive garden. A characterful stay for families or groups, with a focus on upcycled building materials. Book out the whole place! See More
Otahuna Lodge Christchurch 7 rooms from £642Cooking classes - A cooking lesson with Chef Jimmy McIntyre provides an overview of the philosophies behind the Lodge’s celebrated food and wineGarden - Stunning 118 year old gardens laid out by A.E. Lowe who trained at Kew Gardens & include a lovely potager, lake and Dutch gardenBack to Nature - The song of native birds invites guests to discover hidden glades, ponds and organic fruit, vegetables and nuts in the gardensOther Activities - Embark on the TranzAlpine, which traverses the South Island’s majestic landscapes, arriving into Arthur's Pass National ParkRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
An historic mansion set in lush gardens at the foot of the cone of an ancient volcano. All suites have private sitting rooms and en-suite bathroom. Breakfast and 5-course dinner included using home-grown organic ingredients. A quiet country retreat, with many walking trails and sights close by. See More