Search the best hotels in Lake Taupo
About Lake Taupo
Lake Taupo is a spectacular lake, pretty much dead centre of New Zealand’s North Island. It’s a well-established trout fishing, sailing and cycling destination, but Taupo, on its shores, is fast becoming a popular resort town for those who like their relaxation mixed in with a bit of adrenalin pumping adventuring. Some of the best places to stay on Lake Taupo are the quiet, old fishing lodges, but there are also various newer hotels springing up too if you prefer things more modern.
Lake Taupo is actually a flooded volcanic caldera - for one of the world’s largest super-volcanoes. So it’s incredibly deep, and freezing cold, except for the few places where there are thermal springs coming up just by the shores.
Hot Water Beach, Acacia Bay and Whakaipo Bay are good spots for bathers, and you can actually swim right by Taupo. But if you’re boating, then the vast expanse of the lake and its numerous beautiful bays, beaches and coves, are your oyster.
There are plenty of different ways to enjoy the lake’s beauty, ranging from relaxing strolls along the shoreline, taking in the spectacular views, which on a clear day reach all the way to the snowy peaks of the Tongariro National Park, to jet skiing on the lake or rafting on the rapid-y Waikato River.
Lake Taupo also has a number of hot springs and thermal health spas around its shores, and just outside of Taupo you’ll find the dramatic splash and swirl that is Huka Falls.
Just beyond the lake, but still on its geothermal field, you’ll find the magical Craters of the Moon, a collection of steaming volcanic craters stained with sulphur and other colourful minerals, making them a sort of otherworldly experience. Every now and then the build-up of steam, heat and pressure under the ground reaches a point where there's a huge explosion of mud, and another blowhole and mud pool is born – some are up to 20 metres deep.
Don't forget to plan ahead if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Lake Taupo during New Zealand's summer months - it's a popular spot.
The Best Places to Stay near Lake Taupo
For a lakeside location
- The Acacia Cliffs Lodge is a four room lodge set right on the Acacia cliffs, offering spectacular lake views. The rooms are neutral and modern, with floor to ceiling windows, and private terraces, to make the most of the view. You’re surrounded by two hectares worth of private garden.
- Lake Taupo Lodge is also set very close to the lake, in three and a half acres of its own bushland. The six rooms are bright, comfortable and elegant with spa baths and private patios with lake views.
For sheer luxury
- Huka Lodge is a charming 1920s built fishing lodge, just downstream of Lake Taupo, but right on the river. The lodge itself has been converted into a luxurious hotel, but there are also a range of suites and self-catering cottages in the 17 acres of garden. The decor and details are all indulgent, but you’re in the perfect spot for some adventuring.
- Kinloch Manor is a luxurious retreat by Lake Taupo with impeccable spa facilities and delicious locally sourced or home-grown cuisine. Boasting a stunning 18-hole golf course and tennis court, there's something for everyone!
For the activities
- Poronui Lodge is a luxury sporting lodge. Guest accommodation is spread across the Lodge, Blake House private villa and the Safari Camp, offering spectacular river views. There's a huge range of activities on offer here, from mountain biking to fly fishing and shooting
- River Birches Lodge is a boutique lodge offering accommodation on the southern edge of Lake Taupo. Contemporary, well-appointed guestrooms are cosy and relaxing, with understated, luxury interiors; the self-contained cottage is perfect for families.
For An Apartment
- If you think a self-catering option would best suit your needs then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Lake Taupo is obviously nicest during the summer months, from November to February, with the temperature climbing to the mid-20s on certain days.
- However, this is also when it's busiest so if you want to avoid fellow tourists then consider coming in autumn - when the weather's still perfectly pleasant and the natural surroundings are a variety of lovely colours.
- Visitors can fly into Taupo Airport, served daily by direct flights from Auckland Airport.
- Or, you could take the InterCity bus from Auckland, Hamilton or Wellington to Lake Taupo.
- From the airport, a shuttle meets every scheduled flight and provides passengers with a door to door service!
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Lake Taupo
Acacia Cliffs Lodge Lake Taupo 4 rooms from £241Birdwatching - In 2 hectare garden species include tuis, bellbirds, fantailsViews - Of Lake Taupo, Mount Tauhara and the Kaimanawa RangesGreat walks - Mapara Native Bush TrackLocal markets - Maori cultural tours
Boutique and intimate lodge with stunning location on Acacia cliffs ensuring great views over sparkling Lake Taupo. Four neutral-toned modern suites, with floor to ceiling glass windows, tiled bathrooms and private terraces. Two hectare garden with varied birdlife. Close to Mapara Native Bush Track. See More
Lake Taupo Lodge Acacia Bay, Lake Taupo 6 rooms from £288Views - Overlooking Lake Taupo and the mountainsSights nearby - Geothermal parks, Waitomo CavesDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Back to Nature
Luxury lodge set in three and a half acres of wild bush on North Island's Lake Taupo. Bright, spacious and elegant suites with king size comfy beds and spa baths, private patios and great lake views. Close to Taupo volcanic hot springs, great fly fishing and Waitomo Caves. See More
River Birches Lodge Turangi, Lake Taupo 4 rooms from £466Families - With a self-catering cottage available for exclusive hire, this hotel has great options for family accommodationLocal exploring - Set on the banks of Lake Tongariro, there is plenty to explore local to this hotel, from fishing to hikingRomantic Break - With a tranquil setting and charming guestrooms, book this hotel for a romantic riverside breakFishing - Go fly fishing on the river during your stay; staff at the hotel can organise everything you need, from equipment to guides
This boutique lodge offers accommodation on the southern edge of Lake Taupo. Contemporary, well-appointed guestrooms are cosy and relaxing, with understated, luxury interiors; the self-contained cottage is perfect for groups. Enjoy fly fishing on the lake during your stay. See More
Poronui Lodge Taupo, Lake Taupo 11 rooms from £503Families - All the packages available at the hotel are child-friendly and can be offered without parent supervision, great for familiesCountry Escape - Set in a beautiful natural setting on a plateau above the Taharua River, this hotel makes a unique escape to the countryActive Holiday - This hotel has a huge range of activities on offer, from mountain biking to fly fishing and shootingGreat walks - Explore the trails surrounding the hotel on a guided walk, learning about the indigenous flora and fauna
This luxury sporting lodge is located in Taharua Valley on New Zealand’s North Island. Guest accommodation is spread across the Lodge, Blake House private villa and the Safari Camp, offering spectacular river views. Take a fly fishing trip after walking the many country trails. See More
Kinloch Manor Lake Taupo 20 rooms from £613Local exploring - Explore the nearby national park on day hikes past active volcanoesActive Holiday - Practice golf or tennis at the on-site golf course and courtFoodies - Delicious, local farm-to-table cuisineGreat walks - Hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing for spectacular volcanic scenery, ice-cold mountain springs and jewel-toned lakesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A luxurious retreat by Lake Taupo with impeccable spa facilities and delicious locally sourced or home-grown grub. Charming rooms feature pastel hues, gorgeous contemporary bathrooms and wonderful views. Boasting a stunning 18-hole golf course and tennis court- something for everyone! See More
Huka Lodge Lake Taupo 25 rooms from £1102Spa - In-room spa treatments availableFishing - 40 rivers and streams nearbySwimming Pool - Swimming and spa poolsSights nearby - Huka FallsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Charming and atmospheric 1920s fishing lodge-turned-luxury hotel with range of suites and self-catering cottages. Seventeen acre garden, open fireplaces, antique-filled rooms and private dining venues. Close to trout fishing. Perfect for the adventurous traveller seeking indulgence. See More