Search the best hotels in Lake Taupo
About Lake Taupo
Lake Taupo is a spectacular destination in the heart of the North Island, known for its trout fishing, sailing and cycling. The little lakeside town is becoming an increasingly trendy hotspot, with a burgeoning array of charming lodges. We’re big fans of Taupo’s restored fishing lodges, as well as the area’s contemporary clifftop hotels, which feature stunning lake views. Well-suited to families, couples or groups travelling together, the best places to stay in Taupo fuse outdoorsy adventure with a warm, inviting atmosphere — and many offer delectable farm-to-table fare, to top it all off.
A flooded volcanic caldera, Lake Taupo is the largest freshwater lake in New Zealand. It’s generally deep and cold — save for the areas where thermal springs rise to the surface. Try swimming at Hot Water Beach, Acacia Bay and Whakaipo Bay. Go sailing, kayaking or fishing on the vast expanse of still water, or walk, ride and cycle along the 70-km Great Lake Trail. The dramatic Huka Falls are well worth visiting, as are the snowy-peaks of Tongariro National Park, the Aratiatia Rapids and the magical Craters of the Moon. If you’re looking to delve into Māori culture and history, admire the Māori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay, or visit the Taupo Museum, Opotaka Historic Reserve and Te Porere Redoubt.
Birdwatchers and wildlife enthusiasts will spot a multitude of species in the gardens and grounds of many of the best places to stay in Lake Taupo. All the more reason to kick back and relax!
The Best Places to Stay in Lake Taupo
For an Intimate B&B
- Whakaipo Lodge is situated just outside Taupo in the Mapara Valley. With only two charming bedrooms, both with French windows onto a private terrace, it's perfect for a cosy getaway. Gourmet breakfasts are included, and the hosts can provide four-course dinners with accompanying NZ wines upon request.
- Lake Taupo Lodge sits within 3.5 acres of bird-filled gardens close to the lake. The six rooms and suites are bright and elegant, inspired by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. Cooked breakfasts and pre-dinner drinks are on offer. Keen hikers, anglers and those eager to immerse themselves in nature will be delighted.
- Acacia Cliffs Lodge has special honeymoon packages for romantic couples eager to soak up striking sunsets from suites with expansive views and to savour three-course dinners. With just four suites, this is a restful couples' escape in two hectares of private garden close to Taupo.
For Active Families or Groups
- Poronui Lodge promises a huge range of activities, including mountain biking, fly fishing, cooking classes and shooting. Families are welcome, there are multi-room villas and a programme of supervised kids' activities. Also a wonderful luxury sporting lodge for groups.
- River Birches Lodge has a self-contained cottage for families or groups (as well as appealing rooms), and offers fly fishing, kayaking and hikes. A peaceful, private choice for an intimate trip. Book the whole place if travelling as a larger group.
- The Point Villas share 58 acres of lakeside grounds, perfect for active groups or families. The two villas have multiple bedrooms, full kitchens, decks and private pools, as well as shared access to tennis courts, kayaks, croquet & boat ramps. A family-owned site with heaps of charm and a secluded, relaxed feel.
For Absolute Luxury
- Huka Lodge is a charming 1920s fishing lodge on the Waikato River, just downstream of Lake Taupo. The lodge itself has been converted into a luxurious hotel, and there are a range of suites and self-catering cottages in the 17 acres of garden. Expect indulgent decor, fabulous food and a refreshing sense of adventure.
- Kinloch Manor is a luxurious retreat with impeccable spa facilities and delicious home-grown cuisine. Boasting a stunning 18-hole golf course and tennis court, as well as multi-bedroom cottages with epic views, this is a terrific holiday choice for sophisticated couples or groups of friends.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Taupo Airport from Auckland Airport, Christchurch or Wellington, and journey to your hotel by car or airport shuttle. Alternatively, catch the InterCity bus from Auckland, Hamilton or Wellington.
- The North Island is wonderful for a road trip. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer (November to February) for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 20°C. If you're in Lake Taupo for the fishing, February & March are best for brown trout, and June to September for rainbow trout. Tongariro River is great year-round.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Rotorua.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the North Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lake Taupo
Best Hotels in Lake Taupo
Whakaipo Lodge Taupo, Lake Taupo 2 rooms from £158Groups - With just two rooms this is a good option to book out in its entirety for small groupsEco break - A carbon neutral stay — this is the perfect choice for the eco-consciousCountry Escape - A secluded and scenic spot set close to Taupo and the lakeSailing - Take a boat trip across Lake Taupo, the largest freshwater lake in Australasia
A charming two-bed boutique lodge set in a secluded spot in Mapara Valley. Managed by its ever-friendly owners, expect a homely stay. Ground floor rooms are bright and airy with french doors opening onto private terraces. With plenty of outdoor pursuits nearby, this is a lovely rural escape. See More
Acacia Cliffs Lodge Lake Taupo 4 rooms from £241Honeymoons - A romantic hideaway for honeymooners, who will be treated to sunset drinks and a three-course dinnerBack to Nature - A quiet, restful choice with panoramic lake views and verdant gardensRestaurant - Stephanie and Neil create delicious breakfasts as well as innovative evening meals on requestBirdwatching - Species in the two-hectare garden include tuis, bellbirds, fantails
Intimate boutique lodge with stunning location on Acacia cliffs ensuring great views over sparkling Lake Taupo. Four neutral-toned modern suites, with floor to ceiling glass windows, tiled bathrooms and private terraces. Two hectare garden with varied birdlife. Owner-run and offering great cuisine. See More
Lake Taupo Lodge Acacia Bay, Lake Taupo 6 rooms from £288Back to Nature - A relaxed lodge offering outdoorsy activities galore, and a restful sense of immersion in natureArchitectural - Designed by NZ architect Garry Dennison, inspired by Frank Lloyd WrightViews - Overlooking Lake Taupo and the mountains, just along the bay from townFishing - Some of the world's best fly fishing in Lake Taupo and surrounding rivers
Luxury lodge set in three and a half acres of wild bush on North Island's Lake Taupo. Bright, spacious and elegant suites with king size comfy beds and spa baths, private patios and great lake views. Close to Taupo volcanic hot springs, great fly fishing and Waitomo Caves. See More
River Birches Lodge Turangi, Lake Taupo 4 rooms from £466Families - With a self-catering cottage available for exclusive hire, this hotel has great options for family accommodationLocal exploring - Set on the Tongariro River, there is plenty to explore local to this hotel, from fishing to hikingRomantic Break - With a tranquil setting and charming guestrooms, book this hotel for a romantic riverside breakFishing - Go fly fishing on the river during your stay; staff at the hotel can organise everything you need, from equipment to guides
This boutique lodge offers accommodation on the southern edge of Lake Taupo. Contemporary, well-appointed guestrooms are cosy and relaxing, with understated, luxury interiors; the self-contained cottage is perfect for groups. Enjoy fly fishing on the lake during your stay. See More
Poronui Lodge Taupo, Lake Taupo 11 rooms from £503Families - All the packages available at the hotel are child-friendly and can be offered without parent supervision, great for familiesCountry Escape - Set in a beautiful natural setting on a plateau above the Taharua River, this hotel makes a unique escape to the countryActive Holiday - This hotel has a huge range of activities on offer, from mountain biking to fly fishing and shootingGreat walks - Explore the trails surrounding the hotel on a guided walk, learning about the indigenous flora and fauna
This luxury sporting lodge is located in Taharua Valley on New Zealand’s North Island. Guest accommodation is spread across the Lodge, Blake House private villa and the Safari Camp, offering spectacular river views. Take a fly fishing trip after walking the many country trails. See More
The Point Villas Taupo, Lake Taupo from £725Active Holiday - With tennis courts, kayaks, boat ramps, bush trails & nearby sailing, fishing and riding, this is a top spot for an active tripFishing - The rocks on the edge of the lake are perfect for fly-fishing as a family! Boat trips on Lake Taupo can also be arrangedFamilies - Both villas have private pools, big kitchens & two or three bedrooms: ideal for fun family tripsMinimum Stay - Two nights during the off-season, and four nights in peak season
Two superb multi-bedroom villas in 58 acres of verdant grounds on the shores of Lake Taupo. Built in 2002 on land owned by one family for 80+ years, these are warm, welcoming contemporary spaces for family or group trips. Facilities include private pools, tennis courts, kayaks, croquet & boat ramps. See More
Kinloch Manor Lake Taupo 20 rooms from £613Active Holiday - With a world-class golf course, tennis court and heaps of activities, this is a great choice for outdoorsy typesFoodies - Delicious farm-to-table cuisine and admirable food philosphy makes this a foodie favouriteGreat walks - Hike the Tongariro Alpine Crossing for spectacular volcanic scenery, ice-cold mountain springs and jewel-toned lakesFishing - Follow an expert fishing guide & learn how to fly cast – the chef can serve up anything you catchRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A luxurious retreat by Lake Taupo with impeccable spa facilities and delicious home-grown dishes. Charming contemporary rooms and cottages feature pastel hues, gorgeous bathrooms and wonderful views. With a stunning 18-hole golf course and tennis court, there's something for everyone! See More
Huka Lodge Lake Taupo 25 rooms from £1102Country Escape - Set within 17 acres of grounds on the banks of the Waikato River, this is a brilliant luxury hideaway for nature loversGroups - Book a multi-bedroom cottage for a special retreat with family and friendsTennis - Play tennis as a family or take a lesson with the lodge pro at the onsite courtFishing - The trout fishing is excellent, with 40 rivers and streams nearbyRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Charming and atmospheric 1920s fishing lodge-turned-luxury hotel with range of suites and self-catering cottages. Seventeen acre garden, open fireplaces, antique-filled rooms and private dining venues. Close to trout fishing. Perfect for the adventurous traveller seeking indulgence. See More