Search the best hotels in Tasman
Covering a large swathe of the South Island, the district of Tasman borders the wine regions of Marlborough, the city of Nelson and the West Coast Region. More importantly, if that’s where you’re headed, the Tasman district covers the Abel Tasman National Park, the Nelson Lakes National Park and the Kahurangi National Park and borders the Tasman Sea, the Tasman Mountains and the Victoria Ranges and Mount Franklin. The best places to stay in Tasman tend to be remote eco-lodges and country house hotels with spectacular views of the coast or the mountains.
What Not To Miss
- Tasman is sliced through by several major river systems and there are estuaries along part of the coastline - there are also some beautiful golden beaches. So this is a popular spot for fisher-folk.
- The National Parks and stretches of wilderness also make this a great spot for people looking for wildlife and there are several well known birdwatching areas.
- Some of the Tasman district’s wildernesses have been farmed and this is a lush crop and hop growing region.
- Take a tour of some of the world famous vineyards many of which are situated a very short distance from one another meaning visitors are able to cycle between them. In addition to tasting and learning about the historic region - many also have excellent platter lunches.
- Take a break from exploring the outdoors at the World of Wearable Art and Classic Car Museum. With everything from award-winning costumes to exquisite rare cars - the gallery and museum promises something for everyone.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Tasman are all ideally situated to make the most of this spectacular region, whether you're looking for an intimate B&B or a luxury eco-lodge.
The Best Places to Stay in Tasman
For Luxury in the Abel Tasman National Park
- Peppers Awaroa Lodge is a luxury eco-lodge by the coast within the Abel Tasman National Park. There are 26 rooms and suites, all with outside decks and great views over the bush and wetlands. There’s also a wonderful organic kitchen garden. You can’t drive to here though - you can walk in, sea kayak or come by water taxi or helicopter.
- The Almyra Waterfront Lodge is a luxurious three room B&B close to the Abel Tasman National Park. Despite being small there’s a pool, hot tub, three acres of gardens leading down to the waterfront and kayaks available for guests to use.
- The Resurgence Luxury Eco Lodge is on the edge of both the Abel Tasman National Park and the Kahurangi National Park with views over each. The accommodation is luxurious in ten stylish rooms with a pool, spa, gym and hot tub.
For boutique B&B
- Wairepo House is a boutique country house hotel with elegant suites and spectacular landscaped gardens - including apple and pear orchards. There’s also a pool, tennis court and you’re in the heart of some spectacular scenery.
- The Waters is a boutique three room B&B with modern, comfortable suites and extraordinary views of both the sea and the mountains. There is a spa pool and sauna, and you’re right on the edge of the Windhover Estate surrounded by acres of grape view and olive groves.
- Pine Hill Lodge has just three charming rooms all with views over the property's vineyard. There's a hot tub for relaxing and the Tasman Great Taste Trail is on your doorstep.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties in both the urban centres and on the coast.
- Fly to Nelson Airport, located only 7km (4.3 miles) from the city. The airport serves various main domestic connections including Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington.
- Catch a ferry to Picton from Wellington through the scenic Cook Strait.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from December to February for the best weather to explore the beautiful surroundings and vineyards.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Tasman,
- Alternatively you can widen the search and take a look at all our South Island recommendations.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tasman
Best Hotels in Tasman
Awaroa Lodge South Island 26 rooms from £125Restaurant - Specialises in using the freshest ingredients possible with much grown on site.Remote - No direct road access. Only accessible by foot, sea kayak, water taxi or airBirdwatching - Species include paradise duck, pukeko, tui, bellbird, dotterel, ternViews - Over wetlands and native bush
Wilderness 4 star lodge in Abel Tasman National Park. Chic, contemporary interiors complement retro style furnishings. Rooms & suites all have sit out decking areas with great views over native bush, wetlands and an organic kitchen garden. Great framily friendly base for birdwatching and walking. See More
Pine Hill Lodge Tasman 3 rooms from £144Local markets - Nelson Market on SundaysSwimming Pool - Outdoor spa poolFishing - TroutRestrictions on children
Almyra Waterfront Lodge Tasman 3 rooms from £180Birdwatching - Species in area include waders, kingfishers and heronsViews - Across Kina Estuary to Mt Arthur rangesSwimming Pool - Solar heated, outdoor and spa pool tooRestaurant - Dinner by prior arrangement
Luxury B&B and apartment accommodation close to Abel Tasman National Park. Chic interiors are a clever mix of contemporary and traditional. Plus a swimming pool and hot tub, use of kayaks and three acres of gardens leading down to waterfront. Good for families, groups and adventure-seekers. See More
Wairepo House Nelson, Tasman from £210Tennis - Grass tennis courtFishing - On Motueka riversLocal markets - Good for local colour.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Waters Tasman 3 rooms from £167Local exploring - Explore the Windhover Estate next door, and the forests, national parks and the city of Nelson, all in easy reachRomantic Break - Peaceful and private luxury rooms with king size beds open up onto a spectacular and romantic vistaCountry Escape - Escape the city to the idyllic peace and tranquility of the peninsulaSailing - Sailing excursions around the Kina Peninsula can be arranged with the aid of the tour desk
This collection of three rooms on a peninsula by the Tasman Sea offers a delightful and luxury B&B experience; with thoroughly modern rooms, outstanding views, and a stretch of private beach. Visiting couples will find king size beds, a range of outdoor activities and serene, private tranquility. See More
Motueka River Lodge Tasman 7 rooms from £225Active Holiday - There’s endless adventure in the Nelson region - from fishing to hiking and sea kayaking to bikingTotal relaxation - A peaceful and beautiful location where relaxation and rejuvenation is actively encouragedMinimum Stay - Two night minimum stayFull of character
A charming traditional lodge set in the beautiful Nelson Tasman Region, surrounded by vineyards and mountains. There's a multitude of outdoor pursuits in the vicinity which makes the homely, yet luxurious, accommodation a welcome respite. Better yet, there are massages and personalised dining too. See More
The Resurgence Luxury Eco Lodge Motueka, Tasman 10 rooms from £279Outstanding location - In Riwaka Valley on 50 acres of native bush on edge of two national parksGreat walks - 5km of walking tracks around the LodgeViews - Over the Kahurangi National ParkDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
This eco-lodge offers luxurious, comfortable and stylish rooms in Riwaka Valley on 50 acres of native bush. Some rooms have views over Kahurangi National Park. With a spa, outdoor swimming pool, gym and hot tub. Committed to sustainable practices including solar power and recycling. See More
Stonefly Lodge Tasman 4 rooms from £484Eco - Built from natural stone and timber acquired from the property and is powered by alternative energy sources built on-siteBack to Nature - On 150 acres of private forest, offering a world-class stay for fly fishing and exploring the Abel Tasman National ParkFishing - Region is world renowned for its trout fishing rivers, reachable from the lodge. Guided fly fishing available for all levelsGreat walks - Abel Tasman National Park- guided nature walks along the lake edge and coastal walking tracks through the forest
A secluded river side lodge set in 150 acres of unspoiled forest and a popular fly-fishing destination. Interiors are traditional in design with high ceilings, exposed beams, stonework and plenty of wood. The views are undeniably impressive. A charming base to enjoy the region's spectacular nature. See More
Edenhouse Nelson,, Tasman 4 rooms from £512Country Escape - A picturesque, quiet valley with amazing views in every directionFishing - Fly-fishing- 5 minutes from the nationally important Motueka River catchment with miles of bountiful riffles, runs and poolsGreat walks - Near 3 national parks: the coastal Abel Tasman, Nelson Lakes alpine retreat and Kahurangi virgin rainforest and mountainsRestaurant - Delicious food and fine wine served in the formal dining room or outdoor eating areas
A luxury lodge set within 50 acres of land with extensive and beautiful gardens. Intimate dinners are served using a mix of local and home-grown produce. Elegant rooms are decorated with soft hues, a choice selection of antiques and softly patterned fabrics. A luxurious, yet homely, base. See More