Search the best hotels in Tasman
Covering a large swathe of the South Island, spectacular Tasman borders the wine regions of Marlborough, the city of Nelson and the West Coast Region. With the Tasman Sea glittering to one side, and the Tasman Mountains dominating the skyline in the other, this is a wonderfully wild, rugged landscape, perfect for outdoorsy explorers and wildlife enthusiasts. You’ll find the best places to stay in Tasman nestled amidst vast forests, on clifftops or close to big beaches. Often small and intimate, our selection of top spots offer a plethora of activities for guests of all ages.
Active explorers will delight in discovering the Abel Tasman National Park — the smallest in New Zealand — the Nelson Lakes National Park and the Kahurangi National Park. Spend your days sailing between expansive beaches and craggy coves, kayaking with pods of dolphins, or picnicking on the sand. Verdant landscapes are criss-crossed with hiking, horse riding and mountain biking trails, too. The 60km Abel Tasman Coastal Track, for instance, is the most popular of NZ’s 'Great Walks’. Keen anglers can fish in the region’s many rivers or out at sea, whilst bird watchers will spot all manner of endemic birdlife in the National Parks, marshes and along riverbanks. Consider, too, vineyard tastings, historic walks around towns such as Mapua, and cultural tours to delve into the region’s long Maori heritage.
In addition to offering our favourite accommodation options, many of the best places to stay in Tasman also have terrific restaurants and soothing spas for relaxing after big days of adventure.
The Best Places to Stay in Tasman
For Boutique Chic
- The Waters offers four contemporary suites facing a private stretch of beach on the Kina Peninsula. Brilliant for romantic couples, this modern pad promises plenty of privacy, heaps of activities — including wine tours and kayaking — as well as mesmerising ocean, vineyard and olive grove views. Very chic.
- Almyra Waterfront Lodge sits within three acres of gardens in Kina. Choose the suite, one-bedroom or two-bedroom apartment with self-catering facilities, and spend your days hiking, cycling, kayaking and seeing the sights in nearby Nelson or Mapua. The swimming pool is ideal for relaxing.
For Active Families or Groups
- Abel Tasman Lodge is a popular collection of 15 chalets — some with two bedrooms — in Mārahau, moments from the Abel Tasman National Park. Interiors are bright and modern, with kitchens and garden-facing terraces. Shared Weber BBQs and a hot tub are lovely for relaxed evenings. Ideal for couples, friends or active families looking to kayak, swim, sail & hike.
- Awaroa Lodge is a remote eco-lodge on the coast in the Abel Tasman National Park. The 26 contemporary rooms and suites have outdoor decks, space for families and great views. Feast on produce from the organic kitchen garden after days of kayaking, sailing, dolphin and bird-spotting or feeding the tame eels with the little ones. Come by air or water — there are no roads to this family-friendly escape!
- Murchison Lodge is a welcoming, family-run B&B with four guestrooms in a charming house overlooking the Buller River. Book the whole place if travelling as a larger group, and spend your days fishing, hiking, rafting, kayaking and exploring the 4 acres of gardens. A relaxed, low-key spot for active nature lovers.
- Stonefly Lodge is a fly fishing haven, hidden within 150 acres of unspoilt forest. Book one of four rooms in the main lodge or reserve the entire Falcon Brae Villa for a group or family trip. Spend your days fly fishing, kayaking and hiking, before returning to the lodge for delicious cuisine crafted from homegrown produce. For nature lovers and fisherfolk.
- Owen River Lodge is an owner-run gem, boasting some of the best fly fishing for brown trout in the world. Close to 29 rivers and streams, and with tuition, equipment hire and heli-fishing easily arranged, anglers will be thrilled to escape to this intimate luxury lodge. There's also top-notch cuisine, cycling, hikes and farm tours. Wonderful.
- Split Apple Retreat is an exclusive luxury lodge close to Split Apple Rock, on the edge of the Abel Tasman National Park. Renown for its gourmet Asian-Mediterranean fusion cuisine, this sophisticated escape offers three contemporary suites, a saltwater infinity pool, Japanese spa, cooking classes and access to two tranquil beaches. A rejuvenating romantic idyll.
- Westhaven Retreat promises a remote coastal escape within a 1000-acre wilderness sanctuary. Expect seven indulgent rooms and suites, dramatic ocean views, an indoor pool, spa and superb food. A huge array of activities await, including kayaking, biking, farm tours, fishing & more. A very special wedding or function venue.
- Maruia River Retreat sits within 500 acres of verdant beech forests, on the edge of the Maruia River. Book one of secluded romantic villas with impressive views, and unwind with wellness treatments, guided yoga and relaxing afternoons in the hot tub. Homegrown produce is used to create delicious dishes. Perfect for couples or individuals looking for a restful, rejuvenating hideaway.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to nearby Nelson Airport or to tiny Takaka Airport and travel to your hotel in Tasman by car or bus. Alternatively, hop aboard the ferry from Wellington to Picton — though your trip overland will be longer.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking around 18-22°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay In Nelson.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the South Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tasman
Best Hotels in Tasman
The Abel Tasman Lodge Mārahau, Tasman 15 rooms from £94Active Holiday - Just 400 metres from the National Park & close to the beach, this is a top spot for kayaking, sailing, hiking & horse ridingFishing - Keen anglers will adore fly fishing in the area, whilst kids can catch their lunch at the Anatoki Salmon FarmFamilies - Two-bedroom chalets are perfect for families, and the lodge can suggest child-friendly activities aplentyGreat walks - Walk the 60km Abel Tasman Coastal Track, one of NZ's 'Great Walks', or try the Pitt Head Loop walk
A hugely popular collection of 15 chalets in Mārahau, moments from the Abel Tasman National Park. Interiors are bright, airy and modern, with kitchens and garden-facing terraces. Weber BBQs and a hot tub are great. Ideal for couples, friends or active families looking to kayak, swim, sail & hike. See More
Murchison Lodge Murchison, Tasman 4 rooms from £100Other Activities - Cross NZ's longest swing bridge at Buller Gorge or take a 4WD to the forest for The Natural Flame Experience with tea & pancakesGroups - A brilliant choice for a group of 8, who can rent the whole house for relaxed garden days, fishing, kayaking, swimming & hikingBack to Nature - A friendly B&B for nature lovers eager to immerse themselves in a bird-filled garden, in a tranquil part of the Tasman regionFishing - This is a top spot to go fly fishing for brown trout — the owners can arrange guided excursions
A charming 4-room B&B run by a friendly couple who offer big breakfasts & excellent local knowledge. Rooms are spacious and traditional, with wood panelling and lovely views. Set in 4 acres of riverside gardens in Murchison. A top spot for fishing, hiking, rafting & kayaking. For couples or groups. See More
Awaroa Lodge South Island 26 rooms from £125Families - With space for up to six guests in Family Suites and stacks of activities, this is a great choice for a getaway with the kidsBack to Nature - A beautiful escape for nature lovers in Abel Tasman National Park, with opportunities to spot dolphins, seals and birdsKayaking - Explore Awaroa Bay by sea kayak or stand-up paddleboard for encounters with penguins, seals and dolphinsSailing - Sailing adventures, complete with stops for sea swims or relaxed beach picnics, are a family favourite
A 4-star wilderness lodge in Abel Tasman National Park. Chic, contemporary interiors complement retro-style furnishings. Rooms & suites all have sit-out decks with great views over native bush, wetlands and an organic kitchen garden. Family-friendly base for birdwatching, kayaking and walking. See More
Almyra Waterfront Lodge Tasman 3 rooms from £180Local exploring - A tranquil spot for couples or friends looking to explore cultural and outdoorsy aspects of the Kina, Mapua and the Tasman areaGreat walks - Take the Mapua ferry to Rabbit Island & enjoy walking for miles along the sandy beach or forest pathsSelf catering to rent - Both the one- and two-bedroom apartment have well-equipped kitchenettesWine tasting - Enjoy a tour and tasting at Kina Cliffs Vineyard or Kina Beach Vineyard
Luxury B&B and apartment accommodation close to Abel Tasman National Park. Chic interiors are a clever mix of contemporary and traditional. Plus a swimming pool and hot tub, use of kayaks and three acres of gardens leading down to waterfront. Good for families, groups and adventure-seekers. See More
Maruia River Retreat Tasman 7 rooms from £190Back to Nature - Surrounded by beech forest, rugged mountain ranges, gardens and terraces in a resort encouraging guests to reconnect with natureFoodies - Seasonal menus will delight lovers of organic produce, grown on-site, served with exquisite locally sourced meat and fishGreat walks - Traverse through 5 creeks, along the 1.5-km frontage of Maruia River and through beech forest with a nature guideRomantic Break - Escape the world in 500 acres of secluded woodland, share a private villa and relax with a couples' massage
A tranquil and rejuvinating experience amid 500 acres of woodland. 7 luxury villas provide the lodgings, each built to exist in harmony with the beautiful natural surroundings. Relax in the sauna and spa with wellness treatments, enjoy guided yoga, and taste dishes created using homegrown produce. See More
The Waters Tasman 4 rooms from £167Local exploring - Explore the nearby Windhover Estate and the forests, national parks and the city of Nelson, all in easy reachWine tasting - Wine tours around the neighbouring Windhover Estate can be arranged for guests by the property managersRomantic Break - Peaceful suites with king size beds open onto spectacular ocean vistas, ideal for romantic couplesSailing - Sailing excursions around the Kina Peninsula are brilliant for spotting wildlife
This collection of four suites on a peninsula by the Tasman Sea offers a delightful luxury B&B experience, with thoroughly modern rooms, outstanding views, and a stretch of private beach. Visiting couples will find king sized beds, a range of outdoor activities and serene, private tranquility. See More
Stonefly Lodge Tasman 8 rooms from £484Fishing - In one of the world's top fishing regions, the lodge offers guided fly fishing for all levels in a multitude of rivers & streamsBack to Nature - On 150 acres of private forest, offering a world-class stay for fly fishing and exploring the Abel Tasman National ParkEco - Built from natural stone and timber acquired from the property and powered by alternative energy sources built on-siteFamilies - The private Falcon Brae Villa sleeps up to six adults and four children - ideal for families or groups!
A secluded riverside lodge & private villa, set in 150 acres of unspoilt forest. Interiors are traditional, with high ceilings, exposed beams, stonework and plenty of wood. The views are undeniably impressive. A charming base to enjoy the region's natural wonders, and a top spot for fly fishing. See More
Westhaven Retreat Nelson-Tasman area, Tasman 7 rooms from £692Back to Nature - The 350 hectare private peninsula is a natural wilderness sanctuary located beside a marine wildlife area and a national park!Romantic Break - With fine-dining, a spa, and a very remote location - it doesn't get much more romantic than thisBeach Life - The property boasts its own stretch of deserted beachGreat walks - Take day long hikes along the coast and find secluded beaches, incredible rock formations and the largest Nikau Palm forest
A luxury lodge in a truly epic location - set on the coast within a 1000-acre private natural wilderness sanctuary. Spacious interiors are made of natural materials with large picture-frame windows. A highly acclaimed restaurant and expansive spa are a welcome respite after a day spent outdoors. See More
Owen River Lodge South Island, Tasman 6 rooms from £694Fishing - Fly fishing for brown trout is the real draw, with 29 rivers & streams nearby. Tuition, equipment & heli-fishing are arrangedFoodies - Head Chef Ryan uses exceptional local produce to create high end fine-diningActive Holiday - A breathtaking setting for an active holiday, with a focus on fly fishingGreat walks - Take the hotel's dogs and head out on a long ramble
A luxury collection of wood-built fishing lodges in picturesque surroundings. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, with en-suite bathrooms and verandas. Meals are prepared with fresh ingredients sourced locally or from the garden, served with excellent wines in a warm and cosy communal dining room. See More
Split Apple Retreat Motueka, Tasman 3 rooms from £1126Foodies - Split Apple is celebrated for its focus on gourmet Asian-Medieterranean dises that help the body to achieve optimum good healthKayaking - Take a day-long boat trip into the Abel Tasman National Park with kayaking around Tonga Island's seal colonyRomantic Break - At just three suites, this exclusive retreat makes the perfect destination for a romantic couples' getawayWellbeing - Unwind in the Japanese spa, FAR-infrared sauna, large steam room, yoga pavilion & meditation theatre
This intimate lodge is nestled within the Abel Tasman National Park in New Zealand. Each of the 3 luxury guest suites has floor-to-ceiling sliding doors leading to private decks and a saltwater pool with sweeping ocean views. Feast on trademark Asian-Mediterranean fusion cuisine & unwind at the spa. See More