Search the best hotels in Waiheke Island
About Waiheke Island
Just 35 minutes away from the centre of Auckland by ferry, Waiheke Island is a warm, dry spot lined with beautifully golden sandy beaches, mysterious coves and rocky bays. The island has green credentials thanks to the hippies and artists who were once the main inhabitants, but these days it’s a desirable, and commutable, spot and the best places to stay on Waiheke Island include plenty of lovely modern lodges as well as B&Bs taking advantage of the incredible sea views.
Most of the island’s sandiest, most perfect beaches can be found on the ocean side, while the other coastline is rockier, lined with pretty bays and clear waters.
The interior is dotted with vineyards and olive groves, and with boutique wineries and olive presses. The wineries, and the wealthy commuters, have brought about the introduction of boutique-y restaurants, galleries and shops.
This is also a great place for windsurfers, sea kayakers and fisher-folk.
What Not To Miss
- If you're into wine then spend your days off on tours of the area's many wineries, including among others: Man O' War Vineyards, Tantalus Estate Vineyard & Winery and Batch Winery.
- Waiheke Island has a small historic village, with several restored buildings and exhibitions revealing the island’s past.
- Spend a few hours wandering around Connells Bay Sculpture Park, full of wonderful art and offering simply fabulous coastal views.
The island is a hugely popular destination, so if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Waiheke Island don't leave it till the last minute - you'll only be disappointed.
For a B&B
- Enclosure Bay is a bright, modern B&B with panoramic view over the Hauraki Gulf and its islands - you may even see a dolphin or an orca from your room. Each of the rooms has a private terrace, and there’s an outdoor spa pool.
For a hot tub
- Te Whau Lodge is a boutique style lodge with large, airy rooms and panoramic views across Putiki Bay. There’s an outdoor hot tub, a library and open fireplaces, so this is a lovely spot in any season.
- The Waiheke Island Resort is a collection of chic, modern apartments and studios, all with kitchen facilities. You’re just five minutes from Palm Beach, and there’s plenty of outdoor seating, a pool, bar, restaurant, hot tub and tennis courts.
For a beach break
- Delamore Lodge is a boutique style lodge overlooking Owhanake Bay. The five rooms are modern and romantic, with floor to ceiling windows exposing the spectacular views. You’re not only close to unspoiled beaches, but also wineries and scenic strolling routes.
- The Boatshed is a luxury coastal retreat overlooking Oneroa Beach. A perfect spot for romantic but laid back beach style.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you think you'd be best served by a self-catering option then browse though the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- If you plan on spending your days outside exploring the lovely countryside then it's obviously best to visit in the summer, from November to April.
- January and February are the warmest months, experiencing average daily temperatures of 19°C.
- International visitors can fly into Auckland Airport before then hopping on a passenger ferry across to Waiheke Island.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay on Waiheke Island.
- Alternatively, widen the net and check out all our North Island recommendations.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Waiheke Island
Best Hotels in Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island Resort Waiheke Island 25 rooms from £117Birdwatching - Endangered kiwiHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.TennisRestaurant - Recommended.
Chic apartments and studios with kitchen facilities on Waiheke Island, five minutes from Palm Beach. Spacious rooms, modern furnishings and private outdoor seating areas with sea views. With a bar, restaurant, pool, hot tub, tennis court and conference facilities. For a relaxing island getaway. See More
Enclosure Bay Waiheke Island 3 rooms from £189Views - Panoramic views of the Hauraki Gulf and its islandsSwimming Pool - Outdoor spa poolKayaking - Available locally.Boutique
Bright, modern and comfortable boutique B&B on Waiheke Island with panoramic stunning views of the Hauraki Gulf and its islands. Rooms have air conditioning and private terraces, plus an outdoor spa pool. Close to wineries, walks and marine life. You may even see dolphin or orca from your suite. See More
Waiheke Waterfront Lodge Waiheke Island 4 rooms from £297Boutique - Chic boutique interiors are contemporary in design with inspiration taken from the coast and natureShort fly break - Located just 35 minutes from downtown Auckland, this is ideal for a coastal weekend escapeBeach Life - The hotel organises days spent on secluded beaches along with a picnicGreat walks - There are walking maps for both bush and beach that you can borrow
A sleek contemporary waterfront B&B situated on Waiheke Island. The four smart suites are spacious and light with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the garden and indulgent modern bathrooms. Dotted across the property are terraces to enjoy a glass of Waiheke wine. A chic spot for an island break. See More
The Oyster Inn Oneroa, Waiheke Island 3 rooms from £234Foodies - Foodies will love the hotel restaurant, with excellent local and international dishes plus regional wine pairingsBeach Life - With ocean views and fresh seafood at the inn, this hotel makes the perfect base for a quiet beach breakRomantic Break - The laid-back atmosphere at this island bolt-hole is perfect for a relaxed romantic breakKayaking - Try your hand at sea kayaking during your stay on the island; ask your hosts for tips on local providers
This boutique hotel is nestled in the heart of Waiheke Island, a short ferry from downtown Auckland. Guestrooms are bright and simple, with whitewashed beams and louvred shutters. Sample fresh seafood - including the hotel's namesake oysters - at the charming restaurant and bar. See More
Te Whau Lodge Waiheke Island from £325Views - Overlooking Putiki BayRestrictions on childrenSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Contemporary boutique lodge with panoramic views across Putiki Bay, and access to a private beach. Rooms are modern, elegant, light and spacious and all have a private deck with table and chairs. Fresh breakfast from ingredients grown in garden. Close to wineries, beaches and great walks. See More
The Boatshed Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £332Restaurant - Waiheke food - fresh organic produce, some grown in gardensOn the beach - Sits above white sandy beach of OneroaViews - Panoramic ocean viewsSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Delamore Lodge Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £674Views - Overlooking Owhanake Bay out to Hauraki GulfSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated infinity poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Boutique lodge with spectacular cliff top location overlooking Owhanake Bay. Modern and luxurious rooms with floor to ceiling windows, private courtyards and uninterrupted bay views. Close to wineries, olive oil tastings, scenic walks and unspoilt beaches. Ideal for a romantic getaway. See More