Search the best hotels in Waiheke Island
About Waiheke Island
Just 40 minutes from central Auckland by ferry — and even closer by helicopter or seaplane — Waiheke Island is a trendy haven of golden sandy beaches and dramatic coves surrounding a verdant interior studded with world-class vineyards, olive groves, art galleries and eateries. Accommodation options range from intimate B&Bs to big family and group-friendly hotels, perfect for guests eager to make the most of the island’s vast array of attractions. Our list of the best places to stay on Waiheke Island boasts some superb coastal spots with panoramic views, as well as little gems in inviting seaside towns. You’ll be hard-pressed to choose between them!
If you’re dreaming of a relaxed beach break, look to Oneroa Bay, Sandy Bay, Enclosure Bay, Onetangi Beach, Palm Beach and Man O War Bay. Get out on the water for active days of sailing, kayaking, jet skiing, scuba diving and paddle boarding, or head inland to try zip-lining and archery. Horse riding, cycling and trekking trails criss-cross the undulating landscape of vineyards and olive groves. Keen nature enthusiasts should make a beeline for Whakanewha National Park, where you can spot endemic birds amongst the protected coastal forest.
Waiheke has a long legacy as an artistic hub, and you can admire striking pieces at the Waiheke Community Art Gallery, the Contemporary Art Gallery and Connells Bay Sculpture Park, as well as popping into artists' studios. You’ll find boutiques, bars and eateries in the island’s increasingly hip seaside communities — and beautiful vineyards or olive groves offering tours and tastings beyond. The region is deservedly famed for its food, and some of the best places to stay on Waiheke Island boast gourmet restaurants of their own. Foodies will be in their element.
The Best Places to Stay on Waiheke Island
For Seaside Romance
- Delamore Lodge offers indulgent suites and two-bedroom apartments overlooking Owhanake Bay. Contemporary design, gourmet fare and restorative spa treatments make this a wonderfully romantic choice. Families or friends can book the two-bedroom options for additional space and privacy.
- The Boatshed sits moments from Oneroa Beach, with five sophisticated suites and two cottages channelling classic nautical Kiwi style. Romantics can hide away in the Watertower Room. Appealing tables for two can be arranged alfresco, for savouring produce from the veggie patch and the ocean.
- Waiheke Waterfront Lodge has just four sea-facing suites on Blackpool Beach. Pick this place for an indulgent break as a couple or book the whole house for a trip with friends. Breakfasts are delicious and the hot tub is very inviting. Intimate and stylish.
- The Oyster Inn is an award-winning beachside bistro with a classic, uncomplicated menu of fresh, seasonal ingredients created by chef-owner Josh Emett. With oysters delivered daily and shucked to order, you're in the right place for top-notch NZ food. The three rooms are gorgeous — stay onsite and explore the heart of Oneroa town on foot in between delicious meals.
- Mudbrick Vineyard & Restaurant offers luxurious cottages and villas on a world-class vineyard with two acclaimed restaurants. Feast on dishes inspired by flavours from across the globe at the Mudbrick Restaurant, or cheese platters, cured meat boards and the catch of the day at modern bistro the Archive. For keen foodies and wine lovers or those dreaming of an idyllic wedding or celebration location.
For a Private Escape
- Villas Waiheke offers five cool, contemporary one- and two-bedroom villas set within 21 acres of grounds. Stay here for the high-end interiors and the sense of seclusion. Well-equipped kitchens, a mineral swimming pool, hot tub and terraces with superb views make it very hard to leave! There are walking and cycling trails on the property, and two vineyards just moments away. Fun for couples or friends hiding away together.
- Marino Ridge is a super-modern villa with three minimalist suites. Also available for exclusive bookings, this is a top spot for couples or groups who will appreciate the swish contemporary design, panoramic views, gourmet breakfasts, massage room, swimming pool & cocktail terrace.
- Omana Luxury Villas is made up of four architect-designed one-bedroom villas set within four hectares of gardens. Facing a private beach, the villas promise striking coastal views from private decks, well-equipped kitchenettes, big bathtubs and blissful surroundings. For a private escape as a couple. Near to wineries & watersports.
For Families or Groups
- Waiheke Island Resort offers a collection of chic, modern apartments and studios just five minutes from Palm Beach. Highlights include the island's only 18-hole mini-golf course, tennis courts, a swimming pool and a hot tub. The restaurant serves gourmet fare and expansive events facilities make this a great conference or events venue. For families, groups or corporate retreats.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Auckland Airport, take a bus or taxi through the city and hop aboard a 40-minute passenger ferry to Waiheke Island. Alternatively, travel by private helicopter transfer from the airport to the island.
- Waiheke Island is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 23°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November, though these months will be cooler and showers more frequent.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Auckland.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the North Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Waiheke Island
Best Hotels in Waiheke Island
Waiheke Island Resort Waiheke Island 25 rooms from £117Tennis - The resort's tennis court is brilliant for family games or an afternoon knock-about with friendsBirdwatching - Spot endangered kiwis and all manner of endemic birds on the grounds and nearby protected areasRestaurant - Dine in style with gourmet NZ cuisine, local wines and views of the Hauraki GulfSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with panoramic views
A collection of chic apartments and studios on a hillside just five minutes from Palm Beach. Expect spacious, modern rooms and private outdoor seating areas with sea views. Highlights include a bar, restaurant, pool, hot tub, tennis court, conference facilities and an 18-hole mini-golf course. See More
Villas Waiheke Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £230Wine tasting - Batch Winery and Peacock Sky Vineyard are 500 metres away — perfect for tours and tastingsViews - Panoramic views overlooking Waiheke Island and the Hauraki Gulf from a hilltop locationGreat walks - 21 acres of native bush, the villas offer walking and biking tracks aplentyGroups - Book a two-bedroom villa for a fun weekend with friends
Five cool, contemporary one- and two-bedroom villas nestled within 21 acres of grounds, with outstanding views. Stylish and spacious interiors boast designer furnishings, luxury linens & fully equipped kitchens. A fun weekend option for friends or couples looking to hide away together. See More
Waiheke Waterfront Lodge Waiheke Island 4 rooms from £297Boutique - Chic boutique interiors are contemporary in design with inspiration taken from the coast and natureShort break - Located just 35 minutes from downtown Auckland, this is ideal for a coastal weekend escapeBeach Life - The hotel organises day trips and picnics on secluded beachesRestrictions on children - Children older than 12 are welcome. This is a great pick for couples or friends
A sleek contemporary waterfront B&B situated on Waiheke Island. The four smart suites are spacious and light with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the garden and indulgent modern bathrooms. Dotted across the property are terraces to enjoy a glass of Waiheke wine. A chic spot for an island break. See More
The Oyster Inn Oneroa, Waiheke Island 3 rooms from £234Restaurant - An award-winning bistro, headed by chef-owner Josh Emett and specialising in local, sustainable fareBeach Life - With ocean views and fresh seafood, this hotel makes the perfect base for a quiet beach breakRomantic Break - The laid-back atmosphere at this island bolt-hole is perfect for a relaxed romantic escapeFoodies - Savour delicious Waiheke Island produce, accompanied by local wines
Mudbrick Vineyard & Restaurant Waiheke, Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £330Foodies - Savour gourmet international fare in the Mudbrick Restaurant, or NZ meats, cheeses and seafood at Archive bistroWine tasting - 45 minute Cellar Door wine tastings or private vineyard tours are a highlight of staying on a vineyardGreat walks - Waiheke Island's hills are criss-crossed with walking routes, and there's lots to see in nearby OneroaViews - Panoramic views across Waiheke Island to the sea are gloriousRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A luxurious collection of cottages and villas on a world-class vineyard with an acclaimed restaurant and modern bistro. Expect chic interiors and a romantic feel, plus panoramic island views. For keen foodies and wine lovers or those dreaming of an idyllic wedding or celebration location. See More
The Boatshed Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £332Beach Life - Beach gear is provided, including shade umbrella, sun hats, beach bag, sand mat and sunscreenGood wine list - Wines from Waiheke's world class wineries are pared with local produceRestaurant - The hotel prides itself on creating dishes using ingredients from their own veggie patch, as well as freshly caught seafoodViews - Panoramic ocean views are hugely impressive — especially from the Watertower RoomRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Marino Ridge Waiheke Island 3 rooms from £408Wine tasting - Visit top-notch wineries, including Man O War, Passage Rock & Awaroa — on one of the world's most famous wine-making islandsGreat walks - Walk along Onetangi beach, through Watters Glen to Hekerua Bay, or amble along the private bush track for the Church Bay loopActive Holiday - From golf to horse riding, sailing to heli-fishing, the team can organise all sorts of exciting outdoorsy activitiesRomantic Break - Romantic packages include a bottle of bubbly on arrival and a gourmet dinner for two at nearby Mudbrick Vineyard
An ultra-modern ridge-top villa with 3 minimalist suites boasting private terraces and panoramic views. Highlights include gourmet breakfasts, a swimming pool, cocktail terrace, hot tub and massage room. A romantic choice for lovers of chic contemporary design. Also available for exclusive bookings. See More
Omana Luxury Villa Waiheke Island 4 rooms from £466Wine tasting - Destiny Bay Vineyard, Batch winery, Stonyridge Vineyard & Tantalus Estate are all nearby for tours & tastingsTotal relaxation - With mesmerising views from big bathtubs and private terraces, this is the ideal spot to kick back and relaxHideaway - Each villa sleeps two guests, perfect for a blissful romantic hideawayArchitectural - Designed by highly regarded New Zealand architect Pete Bossley
Four modern, architecturally designed one-bedroom villas in a superb coastal location, with 4 hectares of gardens & a private beach. Offering kitchenettes, private decks & big bathtubs, these are glorious for couples looking to unwind in blissful surroundings. Close to wineries & watersports. See More
Delamore Lodge Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £674Families - Two-bedroom villas are ideal for families or friendsRestaurant - The restaurant specialises in locally harvested fare — some grown in the hotel grounds — paired with Waiheke winesViews - Overlooking Owhanake Bay and Hauraki Gulf, the lodge boasts superb viewsSpa - Rejuvenating facials and restorative body therapies are a real treat
Boutique lodge and spa in spectacular cliff top location overlooking Owhanake Bay. Modern, luxurious rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, private courtyards and uninterrupted bay views. Close to wineries, olive oil tastings, scenic walks and unspoilt beaches. Ideal for a romantic getaway. See More