Search the best hotels in Moscow
Moscow hasn't just embraced capitalism, it's capitalised itself into the world's richest city in the space of a couple of decades. Moscow has the most billionaires, the most popular nightclub is called 'The Most', and it also boasts of having the world's most expensive cup of coffee. Moscow has accommodation to suit every pocket, from budget hostels to hotels worthy of a Tsar - or an oligarch. However, most of our Guru's selection of the best places to stay in Moscow are, unsurprisingly, luxury hotels. Historic and elegant, expect nothing but pure decadence!
Even before the fall of the Soviet era, Moscow was home to many very beautiful, very opulent buildings. The red brick of the Kremlin and black cobbles of Red Square are steeped in history and many treasures built by the Tsars stand as a reminder of the pre-concrete block era of architecture. But since then many of the less glamorous buildings - factories and warehouses - have been converted into more beautiful ones, now housing art galleries and museums and even clubs and restaurants.
One of the best ways to experience Moscow is on a tour with a local. There are plenty of themed tours such as cooking and eating. Setting up one or more of these tours in advance is also a good way to get local insight into some of the best places to stay in Moscow. Alternatively, check out our guide on how to spend 36 hours in Moscow.
If you're only here for a short time the best places to stay in Moscow will be close to the centre of town. The Metro system is good, but sprawling.
The best places to stay in Moscow
For the luxury traveller
- The Hotel Baltschug Kempinski's location, just across the river from the Kremlin and St. Basil's, makes it one of the best places to stay in Moscow. The fact that it's extremely luxurious also helps. Service is slick and you'll also find a top-notch spa and iconic views across the river.
- The Ritz Carlton is a good bet for luxury seekers. Here opulence is the name of the game with gilded interiors, sumptuous suites and a great spa.
- The 5* Hotel National is a top spot, boasting a wonderfully central location and set in a historic building. The interiors are classy with an understated opulence and there is a pool, lovely restaurant and spa.
- If you fancy a different sort of 5* experience then Mamaison All Suites Spa Hotel Pokrova should do the trick. Offering chic boutique suites with eclectic furnishings, this glitzy hotel boasts a top-notch restaurant and spoiling spa.
- Set in one of the 'Seven Sisters' high-rises, Radisson Royal Hotel offers palatial, classically elegant accommodation as well as a 31st floor bar offering superb views of the city. There are 5 restaurants to choose from or you can stay in a self-catering apartment instead.
- The Savoy Hotel boasts a quality befitting the name, providing smart classical accommodation and communal areas with breathtaking Rococo ceilings. Enjoy cocktails, champagne and caviar in the piano bar. A superb all round stay.
- St. Regis Moscow Nikolskaya is opulent and has lavish suites harking back to a Romanov style of grandeur. Located in the heart of the city, it's a top choice for an upmarket city escape.
For those on a budget
- The Golden Apple is a hip hotel just 20 minutes walk from the Kremlin and by Moscow standards, it is excellent value for money if you book far enough in advance.
- The Hotel Metropol is the grand dame of Moscow’s hotel scene and has been since she opened her elegant Art-Nouveau doors over a century ago. You’re in the Tverskoy district, right across from the Bolshoi and very handy for the Kremlin, Red Square and St. Basils.
- Four Seasons Moscow has an enviable location right beside Red Square. The Stalin-approved architectural design is mixed with lavish contemporary finishes to create an elite five star hotel.
- The Barvikha Hotel & Spa is located in Moscow's smartest suburb and is a seriously cool hotel. Minimalist chic is the order of the day. Come here for a rejuvenating spa break, where they give you a full health evaluation and devise individual therapy programmes!
For An Apartment
- If you think you'd be best served by a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- In the summer months Moscow is warm; the average daily temperature reaches 19°C in July. This is also when there is the most daily sunshine at 9 hours per day. The winters are bitterly cold so definitely avoid coming at this time if you want to head off sightseeing. But the winter months, when there is snow on the ground and the river is frozen, offer a very atmospheric, romantic vibe too.
- Moscow is served by three airports: Sheremetyevo Airport, Domodedovo Airport and Vnukovo Airport. These all have public transport links to take you into the city.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Moscow.
- Read our guide on 36 hours in Moscow.
- Widen the net and search through our recommendations of the best places to stay in St Petersburg.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Moscow
Best Hotels in Moscow
Golden Apple Moscow 92 rooms from £100Sights nearby - 20 mins walk from the Kremlin and Red SquareLocal markets - Good for local colour.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - CN Traveller, Fodors, Tablet
Hotel National Moscow 202 rooms from £131City StyleRomantic Break5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - A stone's throw from Red SquareRecommended by - CN Traveller
Mamaison All Suites Spa Hotel Pokrovka Moscow 84 rooms from £137City StyleRomantic BreakSpa breaks5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet
A Five Star hotel with the wow factor. Enormously chic boutique suites with vast space, all the mod cons, eclectic furnishings, some with hot tubs and kitchenettes. Fantastic restaurant, bar, and extensive spa. A great choice for the luxury traveller to experience Moscow glitterati style. See More
Radisson Royal Hotel Moscow 497 rooms from £178Bar - The Mercedes Bar on the 31st floor boasts some of the best views of the city.Local exploring - Easy access to all of Moscow's highlightsViews - Book a room in one of the upper floors and you'll be guaranteed a stunning river or city view.Sights nearby - Two miles from The Kremlin and Red Square, easily accessible via the Moscow Metro.
Magnificent five star hotel set in of Stalin's 'Seven Sisters' that punctuate the Moscow skyline. Opulence personified with palatial rooms, a lavish spa and an incredible panoramic skybar. The perfect sanctuary to escape to after a day's exploring Moscow, and a superb location right on the river. See More
Savoy Hotel Moscow 67 rooms from £199Restaurant - Exemplary cuisine in the Rococo style dining room, with ornate ceilings, Venetian mirrors and marble fountainsSuites - From classic rooms to sumptuous suites, beautifully furnished and equipped with every modern convenienceSights nearby - In heart of Moscow, close to the Bolshoi Theatre, Red Square, St Basil's Cathedral and Historical MuseumBar - Live piano, cocktails, champagne and caviar in the Hermitage Bar by a firesideRecommended by - CN Traveller
Historic hotel patronised first by Russian Literati and then the Communist elite. Totally renovated by revered Italian architect Leonardo Tognoni. It now boasts glorious gilt and gold, marble floors, swags and tails plus breathtaking original Rococo ceilings. A superb five star institution. See More
Hotel Metropol Moscow 388 rooms from £200Romantic BreakLuxurySights nearby - Situated opposite the Bolshoi theatre! Alexander Garden, Saint Basil’s Cathedral, Red Square and the Kremlin are all close by.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Baltschug Kempinski Moscow 227 rooms from £210Sights nearby - Just across the river from both the Kremlin, St Basils & Red Square. All are easily reachable on foot.Designer Shopping - A short stroll from the famous GUM shopping centreViews - Fantastic views to St Basil's and the Kremlin.Swimming Pool - Indoor Pool
Ritz-Carlton Moscow Moscow 334 rooms from £275Restaurant - The Cafe Russe team produce Russian specialites in fabulous surroundings; Japanese cuisine in the Novikov RestaurantBar - Enjoy afternoon tea in the famous Ritz-Carlton bar and Lobby Lounge or sample the caviar and vodkaSuites - For the ultimate splurge go for Club Level on the 11th floor, where the champagne flowsSpa - The ESP Spa is of course spectacular, and the largest spa in RussiaRecommended by - CN Traveller
Just off Red Square & next to the Kremlin, the dramatic & iconic Five Star Ritz-Carlton is pure luxury and opulence: gilded interior with chandeliers and columns with gold pilasters. Sumptuous suites, sumptuous cuisine. Magnificent views of the city from the rooftop 02 Lounge. Divinely decadent. See More
St. Regis Moscow Nikolskaya Moscow 211 rooms from £308Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Red Square.Opulent5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Opulence at every turn in this stunning Moscow hotel. Harking back to a Romanov style grandeur, the rooms are adorned with lavish furnishings and extravagant decorations. Right in the centre of Moscow, it's perfect for exploring Russia's capital. Outstanding five star quality. See More
Barvikha Hotel & Spa Moscow (Barvikha) 65 rooms from £313Designer - Designed by Antonio Citterio, the complex comprises hotel, boutiques, high-end restaurants & the best concert hall in Russia.Spa breaks - Guests complete tests and health evaluation, enabling therapists to design personalized treatments for one to seven days.Shops - Unique boutiques selling world-famous fashion and jewelry brands on site.Foodies - Detoxes based on nutritional menus that use fresh organic produce.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Understated, minimalist, ultra cool hotel in the smartest Moscow suburb, five minutes drive to the city centre. The spa & personalised nutrition are the main reasons for staying. All rooms are contemporary suites with huge beds and all the mod cons. A destination for those who want a serious detox. See More
Four Seasons Moscow Moscow 180 rooms from £541Families - An assortment of toys, board games, DVD's, game consoles and many other facilities are provided for the little ones.Local exploring - Situated right in the historical centre, within walking distance of all the important sights.Sights nearby - The Red Square, St. Basil's Cathedral and the Alexandrovsky Garden are all close by.Swimming Pool - An indoor pool for all seasons
Stalin-approved architectural design mixed with lavish contemporary finishes at this elite five star hotel. Exuberant interiors and floor to ceiling windows for the best views in the city. An admirable location, this hotel stands a few minutes from the Red Square. Five venues for dining on site. See More