Search the best hotels in El Hierro
About El Hierro
The second-smallest of the Canary Islands, El Hierro is also amongst the most far-flung. Fringed by rugged cliffs and the deep blue waves of the Atlantic Ocean, it’s perfect for outdoorsy travellers eager to escape to what feels like the very edge of the world. This is absolutely the case at our pick of the best places to stay in El Hierro — both tranquil boutique hotels with stunning sea views.
Unusual rock formations and deep black sand pay testament to the island’s volcanic origins. These are balanced, too, by lush, flower-filled meadows and fragrant groves of gnarled juniper trees. The 1,000-hectare Juniper Forest Nature Reserve, in the north, will delight nature lovers. The island’s biggest draw, however, is the rich biodiversity of its marine environments. Keen divers and snorkelers can swim amongst Atlantic rays, loggerhead turtles and shoals of barracuda.
Back on land, you’ll find ample opportunities to hike, cycle and birdwatch in pristine natural surroundings. The island is at its busiest during the summer; travel in the spring or summer for a more laid-back experience at one of the best places to stay in El Hierro.
The Best Places to Stay on El Hierro
For a Seaside Escape
- Hotel Balneario Pozo de la Salud is a superb spa retreat set atop a dramatic cliff edge on the western coast. Hide away in absolute bliss, with a sauna, hot tub, Turkish bath and marvellous massages. The 22 guestrooms are modern and comfortable, perfect for unwinding after days of hiking and diving.
- Parador de El Hierro is an enchanting seaside hotel on the eastern side of the island. Expect 45 attractive rooms and suites, many with private balconies and panoramic Atlantic Ocean views. The restaurant specialises in mouth-watering regional cuisine, and the feel is laid-back and romantic.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to El Hierro Airport, nine kilometres northeast of Valverde, and travel to your hotel by bus or taxi. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- It's wonderful to explore the island with the freedom of your own transport. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect hot summers, with temperatures hovering around 30 - 35°C between June and August. For fewer crowds and cooler weather, travel in April, May or late September.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay on La Gomera.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Canary Islands.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in El Hierro
Best Hotels in El Hierro
Hotel Balneario Pozo de la Salud Frontera, El Hierro 22 rooms from £65Hideaway - With an end-of-the-world feel, it's perfect for a hideaway holiday on a cliff edge!Local exploring - The ideal base for exploring the remote and untrodden island of El Hierro.Great walks - Make the most of the stunning walks along the surrounding cliff coastline.Birdwatching - Great for observing El Hierro's cliff bird population.
With the raw energy of the ocean crashing into the nearby cliffs, it's an atmospheric spot for a modern hotel on El Hierro. The rooms are pleasant and spacious, affording great sea views. Relax in the spa or recline by one of the pools. Perfect for people looking for that edge of the world feel. See More
Parador de El Hierro Villa de Valverde, El Hierro 45 rooms from £90Hideaway - Set directly on a beach at the foot of cliffs, is this perfect hideaway spot, on an island once considered the end of the world.Total relaxation - Unwind on this tiny, tropical island of El Hierro, with sauna, hot tubs and massages available.Diving - Diving can be arranged by the hotel and is a great way to explore the island from another perspective!Great walks - Guests will love exploring the rugged coastline, or wandering towards the mountains.