Search the best hotels in Gran Canaria
About Gran Canaria
The third largest Canary Island, Gran Canaria’s landscape varies so impressively it’s often spoken of as a continent in miniature. The north is green and verdant, the interior is is run through with dramatic mountain peaks and valleys, and the south is dry and rocky. And all around is a coastline that varies between white, sandy coves, dark pebbled bays, and high cliffs. The variety of Gran Canaria carries over to its accommodation too, and our list of recommendations for the best places to stay on Gran Canaria includes huge beach resorts you won’t want to leave, remote, rural fincas, welcoming guesthouses and traditional, very Canarian feeling hotels.
Some of our Gran Canaria hotel collections:
- 6 of the Best Beach Hotels on Gran Canaria
- 5 of the Best Family Hotels on Gran Canaria
- 4 of the Most Luxurious Hotels on Gran Canaria
- The 10 Best Rural Hotels on Gran Canaria
- 6 of the Best Hotels on Gran Canaria for Walking Holidays
- Gran Canaria’s Best B&Bs
If you’re not sure which part of the island will be the best base for you then start with our brief rundown below. Otherwise skip to the full list of recommended hotels, which is below that. Wherever you stay on Gran Canaria, we recommend you try and see some of the island. You might start in historic, cosmopolitan Las Palmas, the Canarian capital, but we hope you’ll make it up to Artenara, to see the mountains views, and to pretty Agaete and Puerto de las Nieves, a beautiful fishing village known for its seafood restaurants, and of course to the beautiful beaches of the south.
Where to Stay? Which Part of Gran Canaria?
- Las Palmas is one of the best places to stay on Gran Canaria if you love a hive of activity, and you want to be close to the island’s cultural and historic highlights. This lively port city is the ninth largest city in Spain, and it feels like the mainland, but with more North African or Mediterranean colour to it. The older part of town, Vegueta, is where you'll find all the atmosphere. Declared a World Heritage site in 1990, charming Vegueta has the boutique hotels and fashionable bars and restaurants, as well as some of Gran Canaria's most beautiful architecture. Here Thursdays are 'Tapas Evenings', the busiest night of the week. Las Palmas is also home to the Catedral de Santa Ana, the Columbus Museum, the Atlantic Centre of Modern Art, and the Museo Canario, which are all about the Vegueta area. Las Palmas isn’t on the resort-y southern coast, so it’s a less touristy place to stay, although it's still very well connected to the rest of the island.
- If you want the museums, and nightlife, and the weather, and the beach, we recommend you choose somewhere that is near the 4 kms long stretch of clean beach that is Playa de las Canteras, which is the main beach in Las Palmas.
- Up in the green hills just south of Las Palmas, you’ll find Teror, the ideal destination if you’re looking for a picturesque base somewhere a bit quieter than Las Palmas, but you still want to be close to the city's major sights. Teror is busy on Sundays, when there's a big commercial market, and everyone comes in to attend the beautiful, neoclassical Basilica de la Virgen del Pino. But the Saturday farmers' market has a much more welcoming feel.
- Whilst Gran Canaria boasts plenty of beaches, the Playa de Maspalomas, in the middle of the south coast, is both beautiful and famous, known for an upmarket party vibe. Outside the town are impressive sand dunes, in the town are some of the best luxury hotels on Gran Canaria, and along the coast are the rows of sun-beds. Maspalomas itself is a good choice for families, San Agustín, which is right next to Maspalomas, is calmer, and more exclusive, and great for couples, and if you’re here to party we recommend you stay in Playa del Ingles, which is just to the other side of Maspalomas.
- Puerto Rico is another family friendly choice, though all of Gran Canaria is fairly family friendly. We like it for its calm waters, and soft, golden sand, which is actually imported from the Sahara. This is a good spot for trying a watersport or two, and you’re close to an impressive water park. This is a relatively small resort, so most hotels are just a short walk from the beach.
- Agaete is a leafy little town on the quieter north western coast, with a pretty main street, a handsome church, and the only coffee plantation in Europe. Agaete is just back from the port of Puerto de las Nieves, which was once the island’s main port, but is now the ferry terminal to Tenerife. This is another beautiful spot, with a black, pebbled beach, and a fishing village vibe, which includes restaurants serving the freshest of seafood.
- Arucas is the town to choose if you're looking for somewhere with more of a traditional character. It's in the slower north, so the surrounding countryside is lush, and there are less sights to rush around and visit. This is where you’ll find the beautiful Iglesia de San Juan Bautista, an extremely impressive Gothic church. And the whole historic centre of town is full of charm and character, with beautiful gardens and an interesting museum of local art. This is a relaxing spot, perfect for getting away from it all.
Don't forget that this island is incredibly popular year round. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Gran Canaria, do your homework and book well ahead.
The Best Places to stay on Gran Canaria
For a beach break
- The Hotel Santa Catalina in Las Palmas is a great choice if you want to experience both the best of Las Palmas, and spend some time on the beach. The hotel has a traditional Spanish look and feel, with dark wood decor, and 202 rooms and suites with private balconies — the best with beach views. There are all the facilities you’d expect, plus beautiful gardens between the hotel and the beach.
- The Bohemia Suites & Spa in Playa del Ingles, is close enough to Maspalomas’s sand dunes to have them as a backdrop, so it looks a bit like the desert from some of the 67 balconies, albeit, the desert rolling into the ocean. Bohemia is brightly coloured, and decorated with a playful idea of colour and form, plus it has a spa and pool, two restaurants and a bar with a view. This is an adults only hotel.
For a Rural Escape
- The Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas is a charming hilltop hotel in a wondrous location in the island’s mountainous heart. The views are what we love most about this property, but its 60 charming rooms and suites, decorated with antiques, make this a comfortable place to stay, as well as a picturesque one. There are wonderful mountain walks that start out right from the hotel, and there’s a spa to help revive you at the end of the day.
- Surrounded by 50 hectares of banana trees, La Hacienda del Buen Suceso is a quiet place to stay with stunning views. Outside this peaceful hacienda is traditional, and inside it’s elegant, with 18 rooms and suites, with lots of charming original features. There’s a pool and spa, and the barn has been converted into a restaurant.
- The Parador Cruz de Tejeda is just outside Tejeda, surrounded by mountain ranges and lush valleys. This is a large, traditional hotel, with 86 rooms and suites boasting stunning views from private balconies. There’s also an excellent restaurant and bar, a pool and spa and beautiful gardens.
- If you're looking for somewhere small and charming, consider the six room Hotel Rural Las Calas, which is rustic and traditional, and the perfect 'escape to the hills'. With plenty of local mountain trails to explore — on foot, on two wheels, or on horseback — this is one of the best places to stay on Gran Canaria if you're planning a sun-drenched outdoorsy break.
- The red-painted Finca Las Longueras is a traditional, 10 room finca, just 2 km from the beach. Set amid lush green gardens with a pool, and an excellent table d'hote service, this is relaxed escape in pretty Agaete.
- La Casa de Vegueta is a stylish guesthouse in Las Palma’s Vegueta, close to the beach. With only three rooms, gorgeous furnishings, a charming inner courtyard, and bargain prices, you need to book well in advance, but it’s worth it.
- The 11 room Hotel Rural Maipez offers a romantic atmosphere at great value prices. In the countryside, just outside Las Palmas, with beautiful views and walking trails right from the door, this is a great place for an escape. The low-key restaurant specialises in Canarian cuisine, and there’s a pool surrounded by charming gardens.
- Right up against Las Meloneras, which is just along from Maspolomas, the Lopesan Villa del Conte Resort is a magnificent seaside resort, which is both one of the most luxurious hotels on Gran Canaria, and one of the best places to stay for families. If you want to take your family away to a beach resort where there will be something to entertain everyone, then this is perfect. There’s a chain of lagoon pools, an impressive playground, a kids club, a lively music venue and a luxurious spa. And a range of places to dine, to complement the resort’s 561 rooms and suites.
- The Hotel el Mondalon is a traditional, ten room finca close to Los Hoyos and not too far from Las Palmas. The decor is charming but chic, and there’s a heated pool and pretty gardens too, along with plenty of space for families on the hotel terraces and in the restaurant.
- In the lush, mountainous part of the island’s heart, close to Tejeda, is the Fonda de La Tea, a collection of 11 rooms and villas — some which are ideal for families. Expect stunning views and simple, traditional charm, with stone walls and exposed beams. There’s a pool too.
Our favourite hotels in Las Palmas
- Casa Mozart is a typical 20th century Canarian house, now offering five tasteful rooms with simple furnishings. You’re just a few minutes walk away from the beach and with all the benefits of Las Palmas on your doorstep, it's a top spot.
- Bed & Chic Las Palmas is a chic little hotel in a central, and rather trendy, part of town, close to the Mercado del Puerto, just five minutes from the beach. There are just 23 simple, yet spacious rooms, with big bathrooms, plus a rooftop terrace and cocktail bar with a view.
- We mentioned the Lopesan Villa del Conte Resort above, but for a smaller, five star experience opt for the Grand Hotel Residencia, which is one of our favourite hotels in Maspalomas. The Grand Hotel has just 64 rooms and suites, including several Honeymoon Suites, plus a fantastic array of facilities, including a gorgeous spa and tennis courts. You’re right on the beach and close to the golf course too.
For great value
- Just five minutes or so drive outside of Las Palmas, the Hotel Escuela Santa Brigida still feels like a rural escape because it’s surrounded by golf course and parks. This traditional, 40 room hotel, has simple interiors with antique decorations. And an excellent restaurant, a garden and pool. Plus it is just a short distance from the Bandama Caldera Natural Park.
- The Guesthouse Katanka is a six room guesthouse in Las Palmas, offering simple, yet elegant accommodation, just a short distance from the beach. Not all the rooms are ensuite, so you might want to check in advance.
Prefer an apartment or villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Most international visitors will fly in to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Airport, which is about 25 minutes from Las Palmas by taxi or car. There’s also a bus service from the airport which runs to most of the major centres. The other way to arrive on Gran Canaria is by boat, either from the Iberian Peninsula, or one of the other Canary Islands. There are numerous ferry companies offering routes.
- If you’re thinking about hiring a car we recommend checking what our online partners, Rentalcars have to offer.
- One of the main reasons for Gran Canaria’s popularity is its year round sunshine and warmth. Even in winter the climate is temperate, though just a touch cooler and rainier, but so much nicer than many other places in the winter months that Gran Canaria is one of the great winter sun destinations. The maximum daily average is fairly steady year round, with the hottest month, August, at 28°C, and in the coolest months it’s 22°C. If you’re looking for a quieter season then spring and autumn are probably your best bet.
Still not sure?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in the Canary Islands.
- Refine your search to just the Best Family Hotels on Gran Canaria, the Best Beach Hotels on Gran Canaria or the Best Rural Hotels on Gran Canaria.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Gran Canaria
Best Hotels in Gran Canaria
Guesthouse Katanka Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 6 rooms from £52Value chic - A great value option for exploring Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in style, with chic suites, excellent breakfast and low costs!Local markets - Browse through the nearby mercado central and pick up a few things to bring home with you!Great walks - There are loads of lovely walks running through the Parque Romano.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A delightful guesthouse just a short stroll from the beach in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. The simple elegant rooms are appointed with tasteful furniture and mood lighting - a word of warning, not all are ensuite. Perfect launchpad for exploring the city and surrounding coastline. A great value spot. See More
La Casa de Vegueta Las Palmas de Gran Canárias, Gran Canaria 3 rooms from £56Value chicDesigner - Most of the furniture is designed by a renowned local architectSights nearby - Located in the heart of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria's Old TownLocal markets - 5 mins walk from the Vegueta food market
Hotel Rural Las Calas San Mateo, Gran Canaria 6 rooms from £68Local exploringCountry EscapeContemporaryActive HolidayRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Hotel Rural Maipez Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 11 rooms from £69Romantic Break - Rustic romance inside, with a blue slip of pool on the grass, surrounded by quiet countryside and beachesGreat walks - Canario Viera y Clavijo Botanical Garden is a 20-minute walk awayLocal markets - Good for local colour.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Escuela Santa Brigida Las Palmas, Gran Canaria 40 rooms from £78Value chicSights nearby - 5 mins from Gran Canaria's capitalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.
A rural hotel close to natural parks and golf courses. Attractive traditional interiors have antique decorations and serene spaces. Bedrooms have all the mod cons and lilac hues. Beautiful garden, pool, and excellent restaurant. A great choice for peaceful relaxation and local exploring. See More
Fonda de la Tea Tejeda, Gran Canaria 11 rooms from £78Views - Stunning valley views.Families - One house sleeps 4.Great walks - Explore the wonderful walking in the volcanic heart of the islandSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
A hiker's haven set in the mountains with stunning valley views. Charming traditional rooms and one villa (sleeps 4) with private balconies. Gorgeous terraces, swimming pool, local restaurant, and plenty of outdoor pursuits and quaint mountain villages to explore. Ideal for families. See More
Bed & Chic Las Palmas Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 23 rooms from £78Value chic - A great value hotel offering chic rooms in a trendy area of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, just five minutes from the beach!Local markets - Browse the nearby Mercado del Puerto and pick up some souvenirs to bring home with you.Great walks - Beautiful walking along the long, sandy Las Canteras beach.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Bed & Chic Las Palmas is an excellent hotel in the heart of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria brimming with style and elegance. The rooms are sleek and spacious with tasteful furnishings and deluxe private bathrooms. Wander down to the famous Las Canteras beach or relax on the rooftop with a cocktail. See More
Hotel el Mondalon Los Hoyos, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £78Value chicGreat walks - Wonderful walking on the doorstepSwimming Pool - Heated poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
Casa Mozart Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 5 rooms from £86Value chic - This chic historic property is excellent value for money, with a lovely roof terrace and garden, right on the beach.Sights nearby - Visit the fascinating Cueva Pintada Archaeological Site nearby.Great walks - Go for a beautiful walk near the Bufadero de la Garita.Full of character
A charming little hotel set in a typical 20th century Canarian house. The rooms carry an understated elegance, with simple furnishings and tasteful decor. Take a day trip to the fascinating prehistoric Cueva Pintada Archaeological Site or simply relax on the beach. A great low-cost option. See More
Finca Las Longueras Agaete, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £91Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Parador Cruz de Tejeda Tejeda, Gran Canaria 86 rooms from £95Country EscapeViews - Wonderful views over the surrounding countrysideSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolsSpa
A large hotel surrounded by nature, mountainous ranges, and valley views. Large traditional chic bedrooms and suites with stunning views from private balconies. Excellent restaurants, bar, swimming pool, spa, and verdant gardens. A fabulous back to nature experience with excellent facilities. See More
La Hacienda del Buen Suceso Gran Canaria 18 rooms from £121Hideaway - Set amongst 50 hectares of banana trees, enjoy the sunset from a wicker seat, a stroll to the beach or a pool dipGreat walks - Meander through the plantation groundsSights nearby - Mansion of the Marquesa de ArucasSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape
Quiet hacienda amongst banana plantation. Elegant rooms have shuttered windows, beamed ceilings, pretty wallpapers and big bathrooms. Outdoor pool, sun terrace, wrap-around verandah, gym and hot tub. Fresh, traditional cuisine in converted barn restaurant. Pretty, authentic, outstanding views. See More
Bohemia Suites & Spa Playa del Inglés, Gran Canaria 67 rooms from £139Great walks - The rugged landscapes are a haven for hikers. From day trips to overnight stays there is something for every ability.Restrictions on children - Children are not permitted in this hotel.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
Set against the back drop of Gran Canaria's rugged landscape, surrounded by the Maspalomas sand dunes and overlooking the ocean, Bohemia is a modern, adults only oasis enveloped by nature. Earthy coloured, olive wood rooms & views from private balconies. Plus a spa, two restaurants, bar and pool. See More
Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Gran Canaria 60 rooms from £130Total relaxation - Perfect for a relaxing break, set on a tranquil mountain side, with spectacular views and a deluxe spa.Local exploring - A great base for exploring San Bartolomé de Tirajana and the surrounding mountains.Sights nearby - Rent a bike and visit the fantastic Maspalomas Dunes, not far from the hotel.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in Palmitos Park.
A charming hilltop hotel with stunning views out over the Gran Canarian valleys. The characterful rooms are littered with antiques and quaint touches. The restaurant serves local specialities and boasts amazing views. Bicycles and cars are available to rent for day trips. A hillside gem. See More
Hotel Santa Catalina Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 202 rooms from £148FamiliesWeddingsBeach LifeSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pools
Grand Hotel Residencia Maspalomas, Gran Canaria 64 rooms from £220HoneymoonsSpa breaks5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach Life
A beautiful Five Star hotel on the beach front and close to the golf course. Romantic chic bedrooms and suites with four poster beds, soft linens and private balconies. Fantastic sporting and spa facilities; tennis courts, high tech gym, swimming pools. Excellent restaurants and beaches. See More
Lopesan Villa Del Conde Resort Las Meloneras, Gran Canaria 561 rooms from £286Families - Perfect for a family holiday, with a kids club, playground, large suites, as well as an extensive spa for mum and dad.Beach Life - Right on the beach, with plenty of spots to splash around, and access to all kinds of watersports.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Maspalomas Lighthouse a fascinating sight steeped in island history.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
A magnificent seaside resort exuding an effortless aura of style and class. Luxury at every turn with highlights including its Basque-French restaurant, extensive spa and lively music venue. Relax by the one of lagoon pools or explore the surrounding coastline. Five-star excellence. See More