Search the best hotels in Gran Canaria
About Gran Canaria
The third-largest of the Canary Islands, Gran Canaria has long been a popular year-round holiday destination, with sunshine and beautiful beaches aplenty. The island’s northern portion is green and verdant, rising along forested valleys and towards a dramatic mountainous centre. The south, on the other hand, is dry and rocky, whilst the coastline promises expansive golden beaches as well as gorgeous dark pebbled bays framed by craggy cliffs. The best places to stay on Gran Canaria are similarly varied, with everything from rural fincas to glitzy beach resorts.
Some of our Gran Canaria hotel collections:
- 6 of the Best Beach Hotels on Gran Canaria
- 5 of the Best Family Hotels on Gran Canaria
- 4 of the Most Luxurious Hotels on Gran Canaria
- The 10 Best Rural Hotels on Gran Canaria
- 6 of the Best Hotels on Gran Canaria for Walking Holidays
- Gran Canaria’s Best B&Bs
For a lively buzz and a sense of the island’s rich history, base yourself in Las Palmas. A hive of activity on Gran Canaria’s north-eastern coast, the city is the ninth-largest in Spain, and the joint capital of the Canary Islands. Expect cobbled lanes lined with heritage architecture, marvellous museums, and a thriving food and nightlife scene. Playa de las Canteras, the city’s main beach, is at the heart of the action.
If you’re dreaming of hiking, horse riding and mountain biking adventures, on the other hand, look to picturesque Teror, or consider remote ochre- or red-painted fincas with wonderful regional restaurants and dazzling views of the hills and valleys of the interior. The tranquil northern towns of Agaete and Arucas will delight those looking to slow down and soak up Gran Canaria’s authentic charm. For upmarket beach resorts and a late-night party vibe, look no further than the southern town of Maspalomas —a handful of our picks of the best places to stay in Gran Canaria are located there.
The Best Places to stay on Gran Canaria
FOR BOUTIQUE CHIC
- La Casa de Vegueta is a charming little guesthouse with very pretty rooms set around a tiled inner courtyard in Las Palmas. Expect painted wooden beds, and framed botanical prints on whitewashed walls. Within walking distance of the beach and restaurants, this is a lovely, intimate choice for exploring Las Palmas.
- Bed & Chic Las Palmas has bright and airy modern rooms with smart bathrooms. Larger studios have kitchenettes and dining tables, perfect for longer stays. Head up to the rooftop bar for striking views, sunshine and cocktails. Very chic for a city stay.
For a Rural Retreat
- Hotel Rural Maipez, not far from Las Palmas, is surrounded by a network of scenic walking trails. A rustic choice with beamed ceilings and calming interiors with crisp white linens and antique furnishings, it's a very tempting choice for a rejuvenating escape. The restaurant specialises in Canarian cuisine — perfect for foodies.
- La Hacienda del Buen Suceso is a wonderfully elegant escape, set within 50 hectares of banana trees. A traditional hacienda with an ochre-painted exterior and arched walkways, this is a charming and romantic hotel. The 18 rooms and suites boast original features, the barn has been converted into a relaxed restaurant, and there's a swimming pool and spa. Lovely and peaceful.
- Hotel Rural Las Calas, has just six guest rooms. Intimate and tranquil, it's an idyllic mountain retreat for romantics and outdoorsy travellers. Explore quiet trails on foot, by bicycle or on horseback, before kicking back on shaded terraces or in laid-back rooms with exposed stone walls. A charming, timeless little haven.
- Parador Cruz de Tejeda is a much larger hotel, set on a hillside overlooking the lush valleys of Gran Canaria's interior. Many of the 86 classic rooms and suites offer stunning views from private balconies, plus there's an excellent restaurant and bar for feasting on regional specialities after hikes and cycle rides.
- Hotel el Mondalón is a traditional finca with 10 renovated bedrooms. Airy and chic, spaces have wooden ceilings, white-washed walls and warm red tones. The largest rooms offer space for families, who will also appreciate the heated pool and pretty gardens. Great value for outdoorsy family holidays.
- Fonda de La Tea, a laid-back hiker's haven near Tejeda, is made up of 11 rooms and villas — some of which have space for families. Stone walls, exposed wooden beams and beautiful valley views will delight relaxed adventurers — as will the El Nublo Natural Park setting. Cool off in the swimming pool after trekking and cycling.
- Finca Las Longueras, just two kilometres from the beach in Agaete, combines the magic of rural Gran Canaria with easy access to the coast. A beautiful red-painted finca, the hotel offers 10 guestrooms and a pool set within lush gardens. Tranquil and romantic, but also popular with families. The table d'hôte is fantastic.
- Lopesan Villa Del Conde Resort sits right on the coast in Maspalomas, offering uninterrupted ocean views from luxurious guest rooms, swimming pools and restaurants. A five-star spot, the resort has a fantastic kids club and playground, making it a brilliant family holiday base. The indulgent spa and acclaimed Basque eatery complete the picture.
For a Luxury Resort
- Grand Hotel Residencia is a gorgeous five-star resort within easy reach of the beach in Maspalomas. Airy, Alberto Pinto-designed rooms and suites have a classic feel, with wooden furnishings and pretty blue-and-white patterned textiles. Offering tennis courts, a gym, swimming pools and flower-filled gardens, it's a wonderful choice for a luxury island stay with top facilities.
- Hotel Santa Catalina is a striking contemporary hotel with swish, sea-facing rooms and suites set within a classic building in Las Palmas. Brilliant for holidaymakers of all ages, the resort has multiple swimming pools, gourmet restaurants, a soothing spa and leafy gardens, as well as access to the beach.
- Bohemia Suites & Spa is a funky, ultra-modern oasis overlooking the ocean on the island's southern coast. Rooms and suites are clad in warm, earthy tones, with lots of red and orange. Adults-only, the hotel has a lively bar, two excellent restaurants and a soothing spa. Life centres around the swimming pool, and the vibe is appealingly convivial and romantic.
For Great Value
- Hotel Escuela Santa Brigida is a simple and serene spot, just a few minutes' drive from Las Palmas. Appealingly affordable, the hotel has classic interiors, an excellent traditional restaurant and a leafy garden with refreshing swimming pool. The Bandama Caldera Natural Park is very nearby.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Gran Canaria Airport, and travel to your hotel by bus or taxi. Alternatively, you can catch a ferry to Gran Canaria from one of the other Canary Islands, or from the Iberian Peninsula. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport or port pick up in advance.
- It's wonderful to explore Gran Canaria with the freedom of your own transport. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm summers, with temperatures hovering around 28°C between June and August. For fewer crowds and cooler weather, travel in April, May or late September, when you can still expect plenty of sunshine.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Canary Islands.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Gran Canaria
Best Hotels in Gran Canaria
La Casa de Vegueta Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 3 rooms from £56Value chicDesigner - Most of the furniture is designed by a renowned local architectSights nearby - Located in the heart of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria's Old TownLocal markets - 5 mins walk from the Vegueta food market
Hotel Rural Las Calas San Mateo, Gran Canaria 6 rooms from £68ContemporaryLocal exploringCountry EscapeActive HolidayRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Hotel Rural Maipez Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 11 rooms from £69Romantic Break - Rustic romance inside, with a blue slip of pool on the grass, surrounded by quiet countryside and beachesGreat walks - Canario Viera y Clavijo Botanical Garden is a 20-minute walk awayTennis - Courts at nearby La CalzadaLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel Escuela Santa Brigida Las Palmas, Gran Canaria 40 rooms from £78Value chicRestaurant - Serves modern Canarian cuisine created from locally sourced ingredientsSights nearby - 5 mins from Gran Canaria's capitalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
A rural hotel close to natural parks and golf courses. Attractive traditional interiors have antique decorations and serene spaces. Bedrooms have all the mod cons and lilac hues. Beautiful garden, pool, and excellent restaurant. A great choice for peaceful relaxation and local exploring. See More
Fonda de la Tea Tejeda, Gran Canaria 11 rooms from £78Views - Stunning valley views.Families - One house sleeps 4.Great walks - Explore the wonderful walking in the volcanic heart of the islandSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
A hiker's haven set in the mountains with stunning valley views. Charming traditional rooms and one villa (sleeps 4) with private balconies. Gorgeous terraces, swimming pool, local restaurant, and plenty of outdoor pursuits and quaint mountain villages to explore. Ideal for families. See More
Bed & Chic Las Palmas Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 23 rooms from £78Value chic - A great value hotel offering chic rooms in a trendy area of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, just five minutes from the beach!Local markets - Browse the nearby Mercado del Puerto and pick up some souvenirs to bring home with you.Great walks - Beautiful walking along the long, sandy Las Canteras beach.Lively area - In the thick of the action.
Bed & Chic Las Palmas is an excellent hotel in the heart of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria brimming with style and elegance. The rooms are sleek and spacious with tasteful furnishings and deluxe private bathrooms. Wander down to the famous Las Canteras beach or relax on the rooftop with a cocktail. See More
Hotel el Mondalon Los Hoyos, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £78Value chicRestaurant - Traditional dishes with many of the ingredients grown on the hotel's land.Great walks - Wonderful walking on the doorstepSwimming Pool - Heated poolRecommended by - I Escape
Finca Las Longueras Agaete, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £91Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Parador Cruz de Tejeda Tejeda, Gran Canaria 86 rooms from £95Country EscapeViews - Wonderful views over the surrounding countrysideRestaurant - Specialising in regional Canarian cuisineSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pools
A large hotel surrounded by nature, mountainous ranges, and valley views. Large traditional chic bedrooms and suites with stunning views from private balconies. Excellent restaurants, bar, swimming pool, spa, and verdant gardens. A fabulous back to nature experience with excellent facilities. See More
La Hacienda del Buen Suceso Gran Canaria 18 rooms from £121Hideaway - Set amongst 50 hectares of banana trees, enjoy the sunset from a wicker seat, a stroll to the beach or a pool dipGreat walks - Meander through the plantation groundsSights nearby - Mansion of the Marquesa de ArucasSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape
Quiet hacienda amongst banana plantation. Elegant rooms have shuttered windows, beamed ceilings, pretty wallpapers and big bathrooms. Outdoor pool, sun terrace, wrap-around verandah, gym and hot tub. Fresh, traditional cuisine in converted barn restaurant. Pretty, authentic, outstanding views. See More
Bohemia Suites & Spa Maspalomas (Gran Canaria) 67 rooms from £139Great walks - The rugged landscapes are a haven for hikers. From day trips to overnight stays there is something for every ability.Restrictions on children - Children are not permitted in this hotel.Views - Great views from hotelSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Set against the back drop of Gran Canaria's rugged landscape, surrounded by the Maspalomas sand dunes and overlooking the ocean, Bohemia is a modern, adults only oasis enveloped by nature. Earthy coloured, olive wood rooms & views from private balconies. Plus a spa, two restaurants, bar and pool. See More
Hotel Santa Catalina Las Palmas de Gran Canaria 202 rooms from £148Beach LifeFamiliesWeddingsRestaurant - Award winning La Terraza gourmet restaurant
Grand Hotel Residencia Maspalomas 64 rooms from £2205* Luxury - Very high service standards.Beach LifeSpa breaksRomantic Break
A beautiful Five Star hotel on the beach front and close to the golf course. Romantic chic bedrooms and suites with four poster beds, soft linens and private balconies. Fantastic sporting and spa facilities; tennis courts, high tech gym, swimming pools. Excellent restaurants and beaches. See More
Lopesan Villa Del Conde Resort Maspalomas 561 rooms from £238Families - Perfect for a family holiday, with a kids club, playground, large suites, as well as an extensive spa for mum and dad.Beach Life - Right on the beach, with plenty of spots to splash around, and access to all kinds of watersports.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Maspalomas Lighthouse a fascinating sight steeped in island history.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
A magnificent seaside resort exuding an effortless aura of style and class. Luxury at every turn with highlights including its Basque-French restaurant, extensive spa and lively music venue. Relax by the one of lagoon pools or explore the surrounding coastline. Five-star excellence. See More