Search the best hotels in Santander
Cantabria's lively capital, Santander is perched on Spain’s northern coast. A historic trading port once offering a crucial connection from the Bay of Santander to the New World, it is now a starting point for many travellers arriving in northern Spain by ferry or plane. Well worth taking the time to discover, the city boasts some fabulous cultural attractions and a whole host of intimate accommodation options. You’ll find our top spots below, on our list of the best places to stay in Santander.
Delve into Santander’s fascinating past, which dates back to the Roman era, at the Prehistory & Archaeology Museo of Cantabria or the Maritime Museum. The Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art is wonderful, as is the lively Mercado de la Esperanza, where you can pick up everything from the morning’s freshly caught fish to cheeses from rural Cantabrian family farms. Amble past Belle Epoque buildings, pick a perch at a buzzy tapas bar on a striking plaza or narrow side street, and catch live music at the many festivals held each summer over the course of your trip.
Santander’s other draw is its dazzling coastline, dotted with golden beaches and panoramic lookout points. Take clifftop walks along the Peninsula of Magdalena, join fellow sun-worshippers on El Sardinero Beach, or step into the imposing Palacio de la Magdalena, built in the early 20th Century as a summer retreat for King Alfonso XIII. Book well in advance if travelling between June and August, as the best places to stay in Santander tend to fill up fast!
The Best Places to Stay in Santander
For a Charming Hideaway
- Jardin Secreto is a cosy six-bedroom guesthouse in the city centre with the added bonus of a little garden. It's just a five minute stroll from the Museo de Arte Moderno y Contemporáneo, and has charming interiors with exposed brick walls or wooden beams. A partnership with the Club Metropolitan Aqua-Floranes allows guests to use the spa at reduced rates. Lovely and great value.
For Contemporary Style
- Suite Home Sardinero has 10 modern rooms in the north-eastern part of the city. Expect light, airy spaces clad in white and soft cream tones, with minimalist furnishings and indulgent bathrooms. An attractive base for keen explorers of all ages, who can head out on foot after big breakfasts.
- Le Petit Boutique Hotel, just 300 metres from Sardinero Beach, has seven elegant guestrooms, all decorated in natural tones. Breakfasts of fruit and warm pastries are served each morning. A well-priced contemporary choice for a beach break as a couple or with friends and family.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Santander-Seve Ballesteros Airport and continue into the city centre by shuttle bus or taxi. Alternatively, travel by overnight ferry from various ports in the UK. Many hotels will be happy to arrange an airport or port pick up in advance.
- Cantabria is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm and sunny summers, with temperatures averaging at around 20°C - 24°C between June and August. Do be aware that this is peak holiday season for travellers from Spain & further afield. For fewer crowds and great hotel deals, travel in April, May or late September.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in San Vicente de la Barquera.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Cantabria.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Santander
Best Hotels in Santander
Jardin Secreto Santander 6 rooms from £56Value chic - Well priced, homely option in the heart of townLocal exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring on footSpa - Guests enjoy special rates at the Club Metropolitan Aqua-Floranes Spa.Local markets - Pick your way through the bustling street markets of Satander.
A cheerful guesthouse located in the centre of Santander. Its six comfortable rooms are all individually furnished, some featuring exposed brickwork and others wood panelling. Just a short walk from Santander's fine art gallery it is perfectly located for exploring the city. A superb value option. See More
Suite Home Sardinero Santander 10 rooms from £62Local exploring - Located in the heart of the city and within walking distance of many main attractions.ContemporaryGreat walks - Explore the Magdalena Peninsula with many parks, rocky shorelines and beaches.Sights nearby - Visit the opulent Palacio de la Magdalena.
Le Petit Boutique Hotel Santander (10 Bajo) 7 rooms from £69Local exploring - Santander Cathedral is less than a mile away and there are a number of other sights within a short distanceActive Holiday - Mataleñas Golf Club is nearby and Sardinero beach has plenty of watersports on offerSights nearby - Explore what Santander has to offerSailing - Sailing available nearbyRecommended by - Michelin Travel
This small boutique hotel is located just two minutes away from Sardinero Beach. It features chic, natural palette rooms which include free wifi and an LED TV. A breakfast buffet is served each morning, perfect for setting you up for a day on the beach or for exploring Santander and its sights. See More