Search the best hotels in Santander
Santander lies on Spain’s northern coast and is Cantabria’s capital. Its origins are Roman and it owes its existence to the great harbour of the bay of Santander which became the most important port for Castille for trade with the New World. This is a city filled with history and the best places to stay in Santander lie right in the heart of the old town where there are a number of charming boutiques, the best of which are in little hidden gardens.
The city is filled with many beautiful Belle-epoque style buildings and there’s a healthy foodie scene with plenty of little tapas bars and restaurants on charming plazas and hidden down side streets. However, it really comes alive during the months of May through to August when there are numerous festivals.
During the early twentieth century, Santander became the favoured summer residence of King Alfonso XIII with his Palacio de la Magdalena. It remains a popular beach resort to this day, with plenty of swathes of golden sands.
Besides the city’s historical sights and beaches, there’s still a lot more to do from watching horse racing on the Campa de la Magdalene to a wide range of water sports or a visit to the Museum of Fine Arts.
The best places to stay in Santander are ideal whether you're here for a few days or simply passing through. If you're planning a visit during the peak summer months, book well ahead, it's a busy city!
The best places to stay in Santander
For great value
- Jardin Secreto is an extremely comfortable guesthouse with a beautiful garden in the city centre, close to the fine art gallery. It offers great value for those on a budget and has a relationship with the Club Metropolitan Aqua-Floranes spa enabling guests to use the facilities at a reduced rate. Rooms start from just €65 per night!
- Le Petit Boutique Hotel is, unsurprisingly, a small boutique hotel just two miles from Sardinero Beach, Santander. There are seven, simple chic rooms starting from around £45 per night, plus a breakfast buffet.
For a contemporary stay
- Suite Home Sardinero is a chic pension, complete with 10 modern rooms, in the heart of the city. Light and airy accommodation is simple and smart with soft hues, minimalist furniture and luxurious bathrooms.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- The best time to visit Santander is during the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 20°C in July and August. This, however, is peak season, so for a quieter and cheaper alternative consider visiting in May, September or October.
- International visitors can fly into Santander-Seve Ballesteros Airport, with Ryanair offering direct flights from Stansted and Edinburgh.
- From here, you can take the bus into the centre of town.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Santander
Le Petit Boutique Hotel Santander (10 Bajo) 7 rooms from £55Local exploring - Santander Cathedral is less than a mile away and there are a number of other sights within a short distanceActive Holiday - Mataleñas Golf Club is nearby and Sardinero beach has plenty of watersports on offerSights nearby - Explore what Santander has to offerSailing - Sailing available nearbyRecommended by - Michelin Travel
This small boutique hotel is located just two minutes away from Sardinero Beach. It features chic, natural palette rooms which include free wifi and an LED TV. A breakfast buffet is served each morning, perfect for setting you up for a day on the beach or for exploring Santander and its sights. See More
Jardin Secreto Santander 6 rooms from £56Value chic - Well priced, homely option in the heart of townLocal exploring - Perfectly placed for exploring on footSpa - Guests enjoy special rates at the Club Metropolitan Aqua-Floranes Spa.Local markets - Pick your way through the bustling street markets of Satander.
A cheerful guesthouse located in the centre of Santander. Its six comfortable rooms are all individually furnished, some featuring exposed brickwork and others wood panelling. Just a short walk from Santander's fine art gallery it is perfectly located for exploring the city. A superb value option. See More
Suite Home Sardinero Santander 10 rooms from £70Local exploring - Located in the heart of the city and within walking distance of many main attractions.ContemporaryGreat walks - Explore the Magdalena Peninsula with many parks, rocky shorelines and beaches.Sights nearby - Visit the opulent Palacio de la Magdalena.