- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Santiago de Compostela
Search the best hotels in Santiago de Compostela
About Santiago de Compostela
As well as being Galicia's capital, Santiago de Compostela is also one of the world's great pilgrimage destinations, a magical city, of stone, arcaded streets and numerous beautiful churches and cathedrals. The pilgrimage ends at the cathedral, but as well as exploring this splendid, soaring tribute to St. James (which has been wonderfully added to over the centuries since it was first built in the 11th), it's also worth spending some time in the cathedral museum. As a hugely popular destination, the best places to stay in Santiago de Compostela vary enormously from cheap and cheerful B&Bs to high end hotels. There's certainly something for all tastes and budgets.
Most of Santiago's interesting buildings can be found within the oval shape of the old medieval walls, and the best way to make your way around the city is on foot. Indeed private cars are not allowed in the Old Town in the summer months from morning to dusk. And let's face it if you've been walking the Camino de Santiago, you'll be well used to it!
Santiago de Compostela, like the rest of Galicia, is renowned for its great food. So look out for one of the many cafes or restaurants that's filled with locals and tuck in to some fabulous dishes (the emphasis here is on simple ingredients cooked to perfection, with plenty of seafood).
What not to miss
- You can’t go to Santiago and not visit its cathedral. Built during the 1300s, the changes over the subsequent centuries have added Gothic and Baroque features to its Romanesque architecture.
- To truly understand the city visit the Cathedral Museum and get to grips with the layers of history.
- Sample monastery style cuisine in the now converted San Franciscan convent.
- Find some peace and quiet and enjoy the city views on a walk through Alameda park.
But don't forget, if you want to bag a bed in one of the best places to stay in Santiago de Compostela during July and August, you'll need to be organised and book well ahead.
For a central location
- Costa Vella in Santiago de Compostela, is a charming, 14 room hotel right by the cathedral. Rooms have huge windows, some of them overlooking a beautiful central courtyard garden filled with magnolias and fountains. Rooms start from only €64 per night
- A modern property located just a short walk from the cathedral - convenient and stylish Moure is ideal for a city break.
- Hotel Miguel is an historic property in Santiago de Compostela's pedestrianised centre. The interiors are a clever blend of the traditional and modern, plus there's a charming garden and great restaurant.
For out of town luxury
- .A Quinta de Auga is a classic spa hotel just outside Santiago de Compostela. Its gardens are lovely, its food gourmet, and the rooms are luxurious.
For value chic
- A Casa Da Torra Branca is a beautifully renovated 17th century farmhouse offering chic and cosy rooms in a village setting.
For a boutique stay
- Pazo de Altamira is a chic historic property located on the Plaza de Abastos Square featuring contemporary interiors, modern art and a bohemian restaurant.
- Hotel Altair has been designed for a chic stay. with just elelven rooms offering atmospheric interiors, think exposed stone walls, contemporary furnishings and luxe amenities.
- Located a little out of town OS Lambrans, a converted farm house, is set in stunning countryside and boasts a six bedroom apartment ideal for families.
For an apartment or holiday villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner, booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to the well connected Santiago de Compostela Airport located a convenient 10km from the city centre.
- Santiago de Compostela is easy to reach by train with direct lines from Madrid, San Sebastián, Hendaye and Barcelona.
- Best time to visit - for warm sunny days plan a trip between July and September when temperatures range from 18°C - 24°C.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Santiago de Compostela.
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Galicia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Santiago de Compostela
Pazo de Altamira 16 rooms from $91Santiago de Compostela
A chic boutique hotel set in a historic building in the Plaza de Abastos Square. White on white throughout with subtle splashes of modern art. Light and airy rooms feature large sash windows with lovely city views. A bohemian restaurant with Galician roots at the heart of the cuisine. A trendy spot.Local exploring - With many of the cities sights within walking distance this makes an ideal base for exploringValue chic - Stylish accommodation at an inviting priceGreat walks - Walk up to the Monte de Gozo or the ‘Mountain of Joy' and, like pilgrims before you, take in the view of the cathedral.Sights nearby - Visit the The majestic Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela and its square Praza do Obrodoiro.
Costa Vella 14 rooms from $73Santiago de Compostela
A charming hotel close to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela. Rooms feature open beams, light wood furniture and huge windows. A beautiful courtyard garden filled with magnolia trees, vines, and fountains. An unbeatable location for exploring this historic Spanish town. Excellent value.Local exploring - Unbeatable location for exploring this UNESCO listed townValue chicSights nearby - Cathedral of St JamesLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Fodors
A casa da Torre Branca 9 rooms from $57Santiago de Compostela (Santiago de Compostela,)
A beautifully renovated 17th century farmhouse offering chic and cosy rooms in a village setting. Natural stone walls, exposed beams and period furniture add rustic charm. Fresh food is served in the restaurant with a good selection of Spanish wines. A charming authentic delight.Back to Nature - In a rural setting, surrounded by greenery, this place comes with the tranquility of a countryside.Local exploring - Close by to town area to enjoy taverns, restaurants and shopping.Country Escape - Lovely views of the Galician countryside from room windows.Value chic - Well priced rooms for the chic accommodation and services.
Hotel San Miguel 17 rooms from $126Santiago de Compostela
A historic property with an enviable location in the charming pedestrianised area of Santiago de Compostela. Tradition meets modernity in the rooms; polished wood, large sash windows and contemporary bathrooms. An excellent restaurant brings regional cuisine onto a modern plate. Fantastic.Local exploring - Well situated overlooking a small square in the historic centre, within walking distance of many of the sights.Sights nearby - Just 200 m from the famed Santiago Cathedral, a fascinating sight for any culture vultures.Local markets - Take a walk around the Central Market and sample the local delicacies.Views - Great views from hotel
Altair Hotel 11 rooms from $97Santiago de Compostela
In the heart of the city located in a quiet street, this boutique hotel has been designed to provide luxury and comfort to its explorers. Rooms feature original stone walls combined with contemporary style furniture and luxe amenities. Enjoy the delicious breakfast and informal onsite bar.Local exploring - Set in a superb location with monuments, bars, restaurants and the cathedral all just out the front door.Value chic - Doubles start from as little as €85 per nightLocal markets - Go on a guided tour of the Old Town and discover the wide range of art galleries and monuments.Sights nearby - Discover the monastery of San Martin Pinario.
Moure 15 rooms from $74Santiago de Compostela
An understated, modern hotel in the centre of Santiago de Compostela. Original exposed walls are blended with simple white on white colour schemes to create a stylish contemporary look. With the city's world famous cathedral nearby, it's a great place to stay for a weekend in Santiago.Local exploring - A chic and sophisticated choice for exploring the sights of Santiago de Compostela, just five minutes from the Cathedral.Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from the UNESCO World Heritage Santiago de Compostel Cathedral.Great walks - A great place to stay after completing the Camino de Santiago.
A Quinta de Auga 51 rooms from $157Santiago de Compostela
Classic contemporary hotel. Opulent rooms have rustic-style wallpapers, luxurious bathrooms, wooden floors and baroque furniture. Indoor pool, spa, games room and lovely gardens. Excellent regional cuisine in romantic restaurant. Pretty, relaxing and good value.Spa breaks - Set just outside the historic city, with lashings of peace and quiet, enjoy the tranquil grounds of this excellent spa hotelLocal markets - Santiago hosts a large traditional market: seafood, meat, fish, cheese, honey, baked goods, vegetables, wines and spiritsSailing - Experience that can be combined with a tasting at each port of the special products of each areaFishing - Rivers and reservoirs in the area are rich in species such as trout and salmonRecommended by - Tablet, Relais & Chateaux