Search the best hotels in Grindelwald
Nestling in a valley in the heart of the Bernese Oberland, Grindelwald is one of the most popular places for a skiing holiday in Switzerland. With access to 160km of pistes, countless hiking trails, glaciers, gorges and top-of-the-range amenities, it is ideally suited to both families and young couples. The range of accommodation here is broad and our collection of the best places to stay in Grindelwald has something for everyone from rustic chic to super luxury.
Grindelwald was attracting guests by the end of the 18th century and by the mid 19th century, the infamous Eiger - the most difficult of the Alpine mountains - was conquered by climbers. At the turn of the 20th century, Grindewald sat beneath the highest railway station in Europe. Sitting in the shadow of 7 mountain peaks looming at well over 4000m, it lies in a stunning location.
Sitting side-by-side with some of the greatest ski areas of the region - First and Kleine Scheidegg - with access to 160km's of slopes and 30 lifts, rising to an altitude of 2500m. The Lauberhorn Piste - easily the most spectacular - is one that experienced skiers will enjoy tackling. Yet there is plenty more to do than just merely ski: there are 80km-worth of winter walking trails and 60km of toboggan runs, including the longest run in Europe, stretching to over 15km!
As for summer activities, you are really spoilt for choice. The village has access to over 300km of hiking trails, including the famous Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk, which affords breathtaking mountain views. Consider also trekking through the Gletscherschlucht - a glacier gorge - with pink and green marble, footbridges and tunnels, it makes for a romantic stroll.
What not to miss
- Enjoy conquering the 160km of ski pistes and snowparks that the region has to offer.
- Go tobogganing down the longest toboggan run in the Alps.
- Walk to the glacier gorge and drink in the jaw-dropping scenery!
- Hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg.
- Attempt the steep and picturesque slope of the Lauberhorn, only for the most experienced of skiers.
A popular ski resort in a picturesque setting, offering everything from hiking to skiing. Scroll through our collection of the best places to stay in Grindelwald to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Grindelwald
- Hotel Alte Post: a traditional chalet adorned with flower-covered balconies, offering simple pine-clad rooms with gorgeous views, ease-of-access to the slopes, a small spa and an excellent restaurant serving hearty regional fare.
- Berghaus Bort: a secluded chalet with beautiful views of a nearby glacier, offering simple pinewood rooms with splashes of chic colour and design, and a restaurant centred around a roaring fireplace. A snug and warm stay!
- Hotel Spinne: boasting two fabulous gourmet restaurants and rooms with chic Alpine decor, this hotel is ideal for large families. The rooms and suites are spacious, offering gorgeous views right from the heart of the village.
- Aspen Alpine Lifestyle Hotel: marrying traditional Swiss charm with a contemporary flourish, this gorgeous chalet-style hotel offers a pampering spa and spacious rooms ideally suited to large families.
- Hotel Eiger: a chic and warm hotel with direct access to some of the best slopes in the area. The snug and contemporary rooms are adorned with large windows and pinewood furniture, boast amazing private balconies, and guests have a choice of 4 restaurants and a pampering wellness centre.
- Hotel Belvedere: with beautiful views of the surrounding massif, guests have a choice of both rustic and contemporary-style rooms. There is a spoiling spa, a fantastic gourmet restaurant and a piano bar. A classy stay!
- Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof Grindelwald: a luxury ski hotel where guests have a choice of modern or traditional chalets. Enjoy unwinding in the spa, heated pool and dining at one of the 3 gourmet restaurants. Pure luxury!
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Zurich-Kloten, 2.5 hours away by car, and get a taxi or bus transfer to Grindelwald.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend you contact our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go for skiing is between January and March when the temperature ranges between -3 and 4 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Grindelwald
Berghaus Bort Grindelwald 9 rooms from £131
Secluded chalet with views of the Grindelwald glacier. Contemporary rooms with wooden walls and splashes of colour have large bathrooms. Restaurant, centred around a large, modern fireplace offers half board with space to dine on the terrace with fabulous views. A peaceful, great value stay.Hideaway - Situated halfway up a mountain and in winter reachable only by cable car, it's the perfect spot for a quiet skiing breakSights nearby - Visit Jungfraujoch: the most elevated train station of Europe is 3454 meters above sea-levelGreat walks - To Lake Bachalpsee: short hike with great views of the Bernese AlpsSecluded setting - In the winter, hotel is only accessible by cable car before 3.45pm
Hotel Alte Post, Grindelwald Grindelwald (Dorfstrasse) 20 rooms from £226
A charming traditional chalet complete with flower laden balconies and epic mountain views. Pine clad rooms with simple furniture, sink-into beds and French windows. A cosy lounge and small spa are ideal for post activity unwinding. Hearty traditional fare served in the restaurant.Skiing - Grindelwald offers over 100 miles of ski slopes and 43 lifts and the hotel is situated right by a gondala.Active Holiday - Situated in a stunning Alpine spot with easy access to both the slopes or hiking trails.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
Aspen Alpine Lifestyle Hotel Grindelwald 35 rooms from £230
A contemporary hotel designed in the traditional Swiss chalet style. Ideal for families, rooms range from spacious with private balconies, to palatial family suites. The immersive spa includes an outdoor hot-tub, with views of the Eiger or Wetterhorn Mountains. A delicious breakfast is included.Families - Family suites, babysitting services, plenty of activities for children and a kids menus in the restaurant.Active Holiday - More than enough activities to tire even the liveliest of souls: hiking, biking, skiing and much more.Views - Great views from hotelSpaRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Hotel Spinne Grindelwald 43 rooms from £234
Hotel Spinne is located at the foot of the Eiger, right in the centre of Grindelwald. The varied rooms and suites boast large windows, excellent views and Alpine chic interiors. Feast on hearty regional and international cuisine at the two restaurants, or sip on fine wines by the fire in the lounge.Families - With large suites and plenty of activities to keep the kids busy, it's the ideal mountain escape for all the family.Back to Nature - The hotel is located at the foot of the Eiger, with access to the breathtaking surrounding countryside.Great walks - Start your day on the right track and head off on a hike up the spectacular Eiger.Views - Great views from hotel
Hotel Eiger, Grindelwald Grindelwald (Postfach 92) 50 rooms from £273
A warm hotel well situated with easy access to the slopes. Cosy, contemporary, rooms feature large windows, private balconies and pine furniture. A choice of four restaurants all based on holistic eating. A wellness centre for complete rejuvenation. Ideal for completely unwinding.Skiing - Just a short distance from the nearest gondola Jungfrau offers pistes for all abilities.Active Holiday - Well situated for easy access to the Alps and its many outdoor activities.Views - Great views from hotelSpa
Hotel Belvedere, Grindelwald Grindelwald 56 rooms from £323
This hotel offers beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, five minutes from Grindelwald's centre. Choose from a range of rustic and contemporary rooms, all boasting balconies with splendid views. Make the most of the spoiling gourmet restaurant, piano bar and pampering spa.Romantic Break - The ideal romantic mountain getaway with long walks, massages and meals at their superb restaurant.Total relaxation - Spend your days in the spa, have a massage or simply enjoy the peace and quiet of the outdoors.Active Holiday - The stunning Bernese Alps offer excellent skiing, swimming, hiking and golfing.Great walks - Make the most of the stunning mountain setting and fantastic range of local hikes.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof Grindelwald Grindelwald 70 rooms from £323
This luxury ski hotel and spa in the Swiss Alps boasts spectacular mountain views and three gourmet restaurants. Choose between individually designed modern or traditional chalets, and relax at the Schweizerhof Spa's heated indoor pool. Great for families or couples. A five-star Alpine hotel.Active Holiday - This five-star resort is a great base for an Alpine ski holiday, with all the facilities you need on-siteRomantic Break - Private chalets, spa facilities and the choice of three restaurants make this a perfect romantic getawayFamilies - With family suites and children's activities available, this resort is popular with familiesViews - Great views from hotel