Search the best hotels in Izmir
Izmir is Turkey’s third-largest city and second port after Istanbul. The city sits on the Aegean sea, surrounded by mountains and has a longstanding reputation for its cosmopolitan feel. The best places to stay in Izmir tend to be chic and contemporary and are either located on the coast or in the thick of it in the old town.
Izmir was formerly known as Smyrna and has had a long illustrious past dating back to Trojan times. It is believed to be the birthplace of the poet Homer and has been variously colonised by Greeks, Ionians, Romans, Byzantines and Turks.
The city has been destroyed by both earthquake and fire and yet has risen again. Sadly, as a result, precious little of the ancient architecture remains. However, there is still much of interest for the sightseer; Konak Square with the famous clock tower provides a great spot for a bite to eat and some people watching. While the Kemeralti Bazaar is a large market with plenty of shops and stalls making it perfect for picking up some local goods.
Beyond its cultural attractions, there are beaches and boat trips to enjoy and all the diverse nightlife that a modern city has to offer. Our pick of the best places to stay in Izmir are chosen for their locations and design.
The best places to stay in Izmir
For a budget choice
- Otel Antikhan is a charming 30 room hotel located in the old town - fifty metres from the Hellenistic Agora (market). It has oodles of character, all mod cons, free parking and a friendly, welcoming atmosphere.
For modern pzazz
- The Key Hotel was originally the Turkish Central Bank building in Izmir which was recently refurbished as a ‘luxury lifestyle hotel’ with minute attention to detail and the modern traveller's every whim. The hotel sits in the centre of the city, overlooking the Aegean and enjoys a refined atmosphere.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of centrally-located properties ideal for exploring all the city has to offer.
- Fly to Adnan Menderes Airport located 17km (10.5 miles) from Izmir. The airport caters to various domestic and international destinations and has bus and taxi links to the centre of town.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Izmir with rail links to other Turkish cities.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the area - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - from June to August when the temperatures are warm and rainfall levels are lower.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through all our suggestions for the best places to stay in Izmir,
- Expand your search to include our recommendations on the Aegean Coast,
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Izmir
Best Hotels in Izmir
Otel Antikhan Izmir (MezarlikbasiIzmir) 30 rooms from £30Local exploring - Well placed in the city centre, perfect for exploring the rabbit warren streets of this ancient city.Sights nearby - Visit the Roman ruins of Ephesus, a must for any visitor to this area.Local markets - Haggle for goods at Kemeraltı Market, just steps from the hotel.Restaurant - Recommended.
Key Hotel Izmir 34 rooms from £117Restaurant - International and Mediterranean cuisine served overlooking the Bay of IzmirSights nearby - The Clock Tower of IzmirSea Views - From some rooms.
Set in the heart of the city, The Key is a luxury-driven lifestyle hotel. The restaurant provides breathtaking sea views and international cuisine with Aegean flair. Bedrooms are stylish and chic, equipped with latest technology. Perfect for those seeking nightlife in a city with history. See More