- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Kalkan
Kalkan is an enchanting little old town in one of the most beautiful positions on the spectacular Lycian Coast. Turquoise, a Turkish word, may have been created especially to explain the gorgeous colour of the Mediterranean sparkling here and many of the best places to stay in Kalkan enjoy just such a view. Meandering, another Turkish word, is how you'll be exploring the steep narrow lanes of this resort town as they tumble between whitewashed houses towards the Med.
Travellers 'discovered' Kalkan in the 80s, when it was a gorgeous little Ottoman-Greek fishing village, and while it has gained a yachting marina and numerous hotels it doesn't look like a tourist resort at all. The vibe here is more independent traveller than budget-all-inclusive, and some of the best places to stay in Kalkan are the excellent sea view pensions. Kalkan also has some superb restaurants and a reputation for a warm welcome.
Kalkan can feel like a bit of a home-from-home for British travellers - albeit a far, far sunnier one! Pretty much everyone here who isn't Turkish is British - there's no obvious reason for this, but the beautiful town is certainly very accommodating of its British guests. This also makes it a great choice for families - your kids will find familiar food on the menus and other English speaking kids to play with. There are also several family-friendly hammams.
It's said that Kalkan has more restaurants per square mile than anywhere else in Turkey - there are something like 200, ranging from the very simple to sophisticated restaurants with rooms - which are also some of the best places to stay in Kalkan.
What Not To Miss
- Within a local bus journey of gorgeous Patara Beach, Kalkan has some gorgeous beaches of its own, including Kaputas Beach - the area's well known and loved by divers and water sports enthusiasts. There are plenty of companies offering boat hire or cruises and it's definitely worth exploring as much of the coastline as you can!
- Kalkan is also a short distance from Demre and Xanthos, both sites of fascinating ruins. And about an hour's bus journey from Fethiye - which is especially worth visiting on Tuesdays for the local farmer's market.
- If you're looking for opportunities to explore the interior, Saklikent Gorge is another great hiking spot close to Fethiye, which is also the start of the Lycian Way.
For peace and quiet
The hillsides around Kalkan are scattered with lovely villas, and if you're looking for peace and quiet these are probably the best places to stay in Kalkan for you.
- Hotel Fidanka Houses is a fine example, with its rustic-chic beach suites and pretty green courtyard around an infinity pool which looks out across the wonderful Med.. And you're only 200metres from the beach. And with prices starting from just £42 per night, this is also a good choice for those on a tight budget.
- Deniz Feneri Lighthouse enjoys a wonderful location atop a peninsula overlooking the sea. Boasting incredibly chic private villas oozing understated class - complete with hot tubs and private pools - you can also tuck into first-rate cuisine from the restaurant. A lovely retreat.
For total luxury
- If you're looking for somewhere romantic, Likya Gardens is one of the best places to stay in Kalkan. Perfect for a honeymoon, this luxurious boutique hotel is right on the seafront, offering guests private balconies with private pools, all the mod. cons. you might need and stylish white decor. What's more, you'll even have your own butler!
- Villa Mahal is an uber stylish coastal stay boasting spacious whitewashed accommodation with wooden floors, large windows and pop colours. Each room has a lovely private terrace offering wonderful sea views and, what's more, it's adults only - making it an ideal romantic getaway. Traditional cuisine served up.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- You're best off visiting in the summer if you're here for the weather, watersports, and sightseeing, which you likely are! The average daily temperature is 25°C in July and August but this is in the middle of peak season, so if you fancy coming when it's quieter then consider coming in September.
- The nearest place to fly into is Dalaman Airport, served by direct flights with Thomas Cook and Easyjet from Gatwick.
- From the airport, either take the bus to Fethiye and then on to Kalkan, (a journey which takes around 3 and a half hours), or prebook a shuttle service. A taxi will take 2 hours and cost up to €60.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Kalkan
Hotel Fidanka Houses 15 rooms from $118Kalkan
The best of old and new; rustic-chic beach suites above a pretty garden courtyard bursting with greenery. An infinity pool with a fabulous panorama across the water, à la carte restaurant with regular poolside barbecues and lavish organic buffet breakfasts. Ideal for blissful beach holidays.Families - The suites can accommodate three people, plus the hotel boasting lush flower filled gardens and a lovely swimming pool.Beach Life - Situated on miles of white sands and crystal clear waters of the Kalkan Peninsular, with stunning views over the Med.Great walks - Walking tours can be arranged by the hotel, the perfect way to explore this stunning stretch of coast.Diving - There are daily diving trips from Kalkan and Kaş, don't miss out!
Villa Mahal 13 rooms from $251Kalkan
A stylish coastal hotel boasting stunning sea views. Light and airy rooms feature plenty of glass, white washed walls and pop-colours. Boasting an excellent spa and beautiful infinity pool, relax in serious comfort. Dine on traditional cuisine. A grown-up space ideal for romantic escapes.Total relaxation - A spoiling spa, stunning infinity pool and beach club result in complete relaxation.Active Holiday - From watersports to hiking there's plenty to do in the area.Sailing - Search for hidden coves in a traditional Turkish gulet.Diving - Explore islands and reefs with excellent visibility.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Likya Gardens 7 rooms from $309Kalkan (Kas)
Utterly romantic and perfect for a honeymoon. A luxurious and intimate boutique hotel on the sea front. Dreamy all white suites with splashes of colour, dainty furniture, private balconies, private pools, all the mod cons and a private butler. Immediate access to clear sea.Views - Each suite has a large deck overlooking the bayHoneymoonsRomantic - Good for couples.IntimateRecommended by - I Escape