Search the best hotels in Kalkan
Kalkan is an enchanting little old town in one of the most beautiful positions on the spectacular Lycian Coast. Turquoise, a French word, may have been created especially to explain the gorgeous colour of the Mediterranean sparkling here and many of the best places to stay in Kalkan enjoy just such a view. Meandering is how you will be exploring the steep narrow lanes of this resort town as they tumble between whitewashed houses towards the Med.
Travellers 'discovered' Kalkan in the '80s, when it was a gorgeous little fishing village, while it has gained a yachting marina and numerous hotels, it doesn't look like a tourist resort at all. The vibe here is more independent traveller than budget-all-inclusive, and some of the best places to stay in Kalkan are the excellent sea view pensions. Kalkan also has some superb restaurants and a reputation for a warm welcome.
Kalkan can feel like a bit of a home-from-home for British travellers - albeit a far, far sunnier one! Pretty much everyone here who isn't Turkish is British - there's no obvious reason for this, but the beautiful town is certainly very accommodating of British guests. This also makes it a great choice for families - the kids will find familiar food on the menus and other English speaking kids. There are also several family-friendly hammams.
What Not To Miss
- Within a local bus journey of gorgeous Patara Beach, Kalkan has some gorgeous beaches of its own, including Kaputas Beach. The area is well known and loved by divers and water sports enthusiasts. There are plenty of companies offering boat hire or cruises and it is definitely worth exploring as much of the coastline as you can!
- Kalkan is also a short distance from Demre and Xanthos, both sites of fascinating ruins. About an hour bus journey from Fethiye - which is especially worth visiting on Tuesdays for the local farmer's market.
- If you're looking for opportunities to explore the interior, Saklikent Gorge is a great hiking spot close to Fethiye, which is also the start of the Lycian Way.
It is said that Kalkan has more restaurants per square mile than anywhere else in Turkey - something like 200 - ranging from the very simple to sophisticated restaurants with rooms. Which are also some of the best places to stay in Kalkan.
The Best Plaeces to Stay in Kalkan
For peace and quiet
The hillsides around Kalkan are scattered with lovely villas, if you are looking for peace and quiet these are probably the best places to stay in Kalkan for you.
- Hotel Fidanka Houses is a fine example with rustic-chic beach suites and pretty green courtyard set around an infinity pool which looks out across the wonderful Med only 200m from the beach. With prices starting from just £42 per night, this is a good choice for those on a budget.
- Deniz Feneri Lighthouse enjoys a wonderful location atop a peninsula overlooking the sea. Boasting incredibly chic private villas oozing understated class - complete with hot tubs and private pools - you can also tuck into first-rate cuisine from the restaurant. A lovely retreat.
For total luxury
- Looking for somewhere romantic? Likya Gardens is one of the best places to stay in Kalkan. Perfect for a honeymoon, this luxurious boutique hotel right on the seafront offers guests private balconies with private pools, all the mod. cons. you might need and stylish white decor. What's more, you even have your own butler!
- Villa Mahal is an uber stylish coastal stay boasting spacious whitewashed accommodation with wooden floors, large windows and pop colours. Each room has a lovely private terrace offering wonderful sea views and it is adults only - making it an ideal romantic getaway. Traditional cuisine is served.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- You are best visiting in the summer if you are here for the weather, watersports, and sightseeing. The average daily temperature is 25°C in July and August but this is in the middle of peak season. If you prefer coming when it is quieter then consider coming in September.
- The nearest place to fly into is Dalaman Airport, served by direct flights with Thomas Cook and Easyjet from Gatwick.
- From the airport either take the bus to Fethiye and then on to Kalkan (which will take around 3 and a half hours), or prebook a shuttle service. A taxi will take 2 hours and cost up to €60.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Kalkan
Courtyard Hotel Kalkan Kalkan (Antalya) 6 rooms from £49Local exploring - The mosaic-adorned courtyard is ideally nestled down a sleepy street in the heart of the historic town of KalkanBeach Life - The beach is just 200m from the property, enjoy Turkey's scintillating Turquoise CoastRomantic Break - Its beautiful surroundings and architecture make Kalkan ideal for a romantic breakDiving - Dive into the crystal clear waters of Kalkan - there are a range of good diving schools in the town
A gorgeous hotel steeped in history consisting of three traditional cottages renovated to offer guests six beautifully decorated rooms. Enjoy sweeping views of Kalkan and its bays and islets over breakfast or a drink in the rich jasmine-scented garden. Explore Kalkan's restaurants, a short walk away See More
Hotel Fidanka Houses Kalkan 15 rooms from £89Families - The suites can accommodate three people, plus the hotel boasting lush flower filled gardens and a lovely swimming pool.Beach Life - Situated on miles of white sands and crystal clear waters of the Kalkan Peninsular, with stunning views over the Med.Great walks - Walking tours can be arranged by the hotel, the perfect way to explore this stunning stretch of coast.Diving - There are daily diving trips from Kalkan and Kaş, don't miss out!
The best of old and new; rustic-chic beach suites above a pretty garden courtyard bursting with greenery. An infinity pool with a fabulous panorama across the water, à la carte restaurant with regular poolside barbecues and lavish organic buffet breakfasts. Ideal for blissful beach holidays. See More
Villa Mahal Kalkan 13 rooms from £191Total relaxation - A spoiling spa, stunning infinity pool and beach club result in complete relaxation.Active Holiday - From watersports to hiking there's plenty to do in the area.Sailing - Search for hidden coves in a traditional Turkish gulet.Diving - Explore islands and reefs with excellent visibility.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A stylish coastal hotel boasting stunning sea views. Light and airy rooms feature plenty of glass, white washed walls and pop-colours. Boasting an excellent spa and beautiful infinity pool, relax in serious comfort. Dine on traditional cuisine. A grown-up space ideal for romantic escapes. See More
Likya Gardens Kalkan (Kas) 7 rooms from £234Views - Each suite has a large deck overlooking the bayHoneymoonsRomantic - Good for couples.IntimateRecommended by - I Escape
Utterly romantic and perfect for a honeymoon. A luxurious and intimate boutique hotel on the sea front. Dreamy all white suites with splashes of colour, dainty furniture, private balconies, private pools, all the mod cons and a private butler. Immediate access to clear sea. See More