Search the best hotels in Margate
The town of Margate lies on the north coast of Kent and has long been a thriving seaside destination. Unlike some of its contemporaries, Margate has kept well and truly up to date and is now often referred to as the ‘Shoreditch of the east’. There is an excellent range of accommodation options in the city, ranging from old-school B&Bs to elegant contemporary hotels, fit for a whole host of budgets. Whether you’re dreaming of a rooftop cocktail or glitzy urban design, our pick of the best places to stay in Margate has got you covered.
Ideally located for a superb weekend break from London, Margate boasts a thriving arts scene, plenty of fabulous foodie spots, lively nightlife and, of course, the famous beach itself. Galleries abound, and the terrific Turner Contemporary Art Gallery is a real highlight, with an excellent programme of exhibitions and events. Catch a play at the Tom Thumb Theatre or the Theatre Royal — Kent's smallest and oldest theatres, respectively — or ride a roller coaster at the nostalgic Dreamland amusement park. With quirky independent boutiques and cafés aplenty tucked inside charming painted townhouses, this is a wonderful place to explore.
Margate has a real buzz in the evenings, with a burgeoning selection of micro-pubs, bars with live music and top-notch restaurants offering something for everyone. Dance the night away in style with visiting international artists and highly-anticipated club nights, especially during the summer months.
There’s no shortage of brilliant things to do here, and the huge stretch of sandy beach remains Margate’s main draw — perfect for sunbathing, sandcastles or long windswept strolls. The best places to stay in Margate offer spellbinding sea views, because nothing beats a weekend at the seaside!
The best places to stay in Margate
For great value
- The Crescent Victoria Hotel is a renovated townhouse with bright, modern rooms — the best of which offer striking sea views. Pick this spot for well-priced relaxed urban style and the top steakhouse in the area.
For luxury & sea views
- The Sands Hotel features twenty elegant, sumptuously-appointed rooms in a beautifully restored building. Highlights include private sea-facing balconies, a fabulous contemporary restaurant and a gorgeous rooftop terrace with panoramic views over the ocean and the town. A smart, grown-up stay.
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you’d prefer to stay in a self catering apartment or private house we suggest that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Margate is easily accessible from London. Regular high-speed trains run from St Pancras International, London Victoria or Charing Cross and take 1 hour 30 minutes.
- The British weather is woefully unpredictable, but time your trip between May and August for the best chance of warmer weather (temperatures range from 15 - 25°C). This is the most popular time of year, so do book well in advance to avoid missing out!
- If you would like to hire a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Ramsgate.
- Alternatively, explore our pick of the best places to stay in Kent.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Margate
Best Hotels in Margate
Crescent Victoria Margate (Kent) 14 rooms from £85Local exploring - A chic hotel in the up and coming town of Margate. Ideally located to access many of the areas attractions.Great walks - Take scenic walks along the Viking Coastal Trail.Full of character
A townhouse hotel bringing some urban style to this burgeoning town. Bright airy rooms feature enormous windows - the best offering sea views - sink into beds and gloriously indulgent bathrooms. A retro themed restaurant offers up modern British classics with relaxed friendly service. See More
Sands Hotel Margate 20 rooms from £140Local exploring - For a quintessentially British seaside experience.Great walks - Take the four-mile Turner and Dickens Walk to Broadstairs.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Originally a hotel in one of Britain's best loved sea resorts and now restored back to its former glory. Featuring a chic rooftop terrace, elegant and spacious rooms plus a fabulous regional restaurant. The staff are ever-friendly and the proximity to London makes this an ideal weekend escape. See More