Search the best hotels in Baltimore
On Maryland’s east coast, Baltimore is a cool, cosmopolitan city with a proud seafaring past. Famed for its friendliness, Baltimore is brilliant for a lively city break with friends and family, or as a couple in search of intriguing history, fabulous food and a buzzing evening scene. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from charming B&Bs to hip luxury hotels. Most of the best places to stay are either downtown or set on the historic waterfront — both excellent spots to start your explorations.
Head to the harbour for a sense of Baltimore’s maritime roots. Stroll the cobbled streets of historic Fells Point, a regenerated waterfront neighbourhood which once marked the centre of the city’s ship-building industry. Now brimming with excellent boutiques, low-key bars and trendy eateries, this is a great place for an evening out. Pop into the Baltimore Maritime Museum, take the kids to the glass-pyramid-topped National Aquarium, and admire the Fort McHenry National Monument. The star-shaped fort is the stuff of legend, having inspired America's national anthem, 'The Star-Spangled Banner.’
Amble through the more commercial Inner Harbor district, and make time to wander around desirable Mount Vernon, Baltimore’s oldest neighbourhood. Studded with 19th-century buildings, this centrally-located district is also home to the striking George Peabody Library, which contains 300,000 volumes. Other sites of interest in the city centre include the Maryland Historical Society, the Walters Art Museum and the 178-foot-tall Washington Monument — perfect for breath-taking city views. Don’t miss the home of poet and writer Edgar Allan Poe, or the American Visionary Art Museum, which is close to the waterfront.
Round off days of history and culture with laid-back boat trips, big Ravens or Orioles game nights and farm-to-table dinners at buzzing eateries. Many of the best places to stay in Baltimore are within easy reach of great evening spots — and some boast top-notch bars and restaurants of their own.
The Best Places to Stay in Baltimore
- The Ivy offers just 18 elegant rooms and suites in downtown Baltimore, perfect for an intimate couples' stay, or for a trip with friends and family. Built in 1889 as a private residence, the property now features whimsical interiors and an excellent fine-dining restaurant, Magdalena. Enchanting.
- Four Seasons Baltimore is a glitzy waterfront hotel with dazzling river views from sumptuous contemporary rooms, the outdoor pools, multiple eateries and the indulgent spa. Ideal for business travellers, couples or families looking to unwind in style.
For City Style
- Hotel Monaco is a 1906 Beaux-Arts gem, complete with a marble staircase and sophisticated rooms, in the heart of downtown Baltimore. Pick this place for the delightful brasserie and the sociable wine hour each evening. A historic hotel with a trendy modern twist.
- Hotel Indigo is a cool, contemporary downtown hotel in the attractive Mount Vernon neighbourhood. Think stylish rooms with bold pops of colour, delectable fare in the trendy restaurant-bar, and a library, gym and business centre. Sample the hotel's homemade honey whilst there! A stylish, central stay.
- Hotel Revival oozes an artsy, retro feel, with quirky interiors giving a 1920s mansion in central Mount Vernon a new lease of life. Great for groups of friends or romantic couples, the property also boasts beautiful views from its lively bar and eatery. Funky, fresh and fun.
For an Intimate B&B
- Rachael's Dowry is an intimate six-bedroom inn — once the residence of a prominent American family. Guestrooms feature period furnishings, fireplaces and free-standing tubs, whilst there are delicious breakfasts served in the leafy courtyard. Perfectly-placed for exploring the city. For tranquil couples or families with older children.
For Waterfront Views
- The Admiral Fell Inn is a charming choice for those eager to experience the riverside Baltimore of a bygone era. Expect 18th-century furnishings, a lovely waterfront events space and generous breakfasts. The property's signature ghost tours and boat trips are a quirky addition to any Baltimore stay!
- The Inn at Handerson's Wharf features exposed brickwork and 38 comfortable, classic rooms with private terraces in a converted tobacco factory. Stay here for waterfront views, old-school charm and a real sense of history. The Fells Point neighbourhood is great for a stroll. For couples, groups or families.
- The Sagamore Pendry is a cutting-edge waterfront pick for hip travellers looking to kick back in sophisticated, modern rooms with warm, rich tones and an emphasis on natural materials. Take a dip in the pool, enjoy a big brunch or BBQ, hit the gym or the spa before savouring a whisky in The Cannon Room. Top-notch.
For Great Value
- Hotel RL offers simple, modern rooms with flexible options for families and groups just steps from Inner Harbor. The vibe is playful and friendly, pets are welcome, and the spacious communal areas are great for guests of all ages to unwind. Excellent value.
- Hotel Brexton is a great-value base in Mount Vernon. Perfect for families and those looking to explore central Baltimore, the hotel offers a mix of traditional and contemporary rooms. Big breakfasts are served onsite, and there are excellent eateries and attractions within walking distance.
FOR A HOLIDAY HOUSE OR APARTMENT
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Baltimore–Washington International Airport, and take a shuttle bus or taxi into the city. Alternatively, you can catch an Amtrak train or a bus to Baltimore from destinations across the country. There are regular services between Baltimore and nearby Washginton D.C.
- If you would like to hire a car, we suggest that you contact our online partner Rentalcars.
- Visit between June and September for warmer temperatures and an especially lively summer feel. Autumn (October - November) is beautiful and cosy!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Annapolis.
- Alternatively, see our pick of the best places to stay in Maryland.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Baltimore
Best Hotels in Baltimore
Hotel Brexton Baltimore (Maryland) 28 rooms from £93Sights nearby - Try the boat tours to explore the city, or even a water taxi.Local markets - Broadway Pier.Four poster beds - For romantics.Full of character
An 1881 Queen Anne style, seven-storied boutique hotel. Rooms vary in style with four poster beds or modern furnishings, all with mod-cons, bathrooms and a daily breakfast. Location is perfect for local exploring, discovering Baltimore's history and in close proximity to Washington DC. See More
Hotel RL Baltimore Inner Harbor Baltimore 129 rooms from £98Local exploring - Inner Harbor is Baltimore's sightseeing hub with endless attractions plus lively bars and restaurantsSights nearby - Visit the harbor's historic warships, National Aquarium, Ripley's Believe It or Not! or catch a baseball game at Camden YardsLocal markets - The area boasts an excellent market, the local Farmer's Market BazaarLively - Hip and happening.
Good-value centrally-located harbour hotel. Relaxed decor combines industrial fixtures and materials with mish-mashed furniture. Fresh and airy rooms with wooden floors are cosy in a minimalist style. Sociable guests will love the open-plan communal lobby, cafe bar, small events venue & games room. See More
Hotel Revival Baltimore (Mount Vernon) 100 rooms from £98City Style - Part of an effort to bring the local historic neighbourhood to life, this impressive property is deeply embedded in its locationArtworks - The curated art collection supports local artists & plays on the building's artistic legacy. Rooms have one-of-a-kind piecesLocal exploring - Located in the wonderful Mount Vernon neighbourhood with vibrant art galleries, shops, parks & historic architectureSights nearby - It's walking distance to the city's iconic Penn Station and Washington Monument
Former 1920s mansion converted into stylish boutique hotel. Whimsical interiors combine period-fixtures, floral wallpaper, antiques, unique art & homely oriental carpets with Art Deco & mid-century touches. Enjoy phenomenal views from the lively restaurant and bar. Perfect for a romantic city break. See More
Hotel Monaco, Baltimore Baltimore (Maryland) 202 rooms from £101Sights nearby - Downtown Baltimore offers a historic neighbourhood and a range of sights.Fishing - Check out the harbour.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet
A 1906 Beaux Arts gem with original Tiffany fixtures and marble staircases in the heart of Baltimore. The modern, spacious rooms offer city views. B&O American Brasserie whips up locally sourced American cuisine and do not miss wine hour every evening. Gym and business facilities also available. See More
Admiral Fell Inn Baltimore (Maryland) 80 rooms from £109Sights nearby - Try a Baltimore Water Taxi to see the city from the water.Local markets - Broadway Market and Pier are a great afternoon trip.Four poster beds - For romantics.Full of character
18th Century boutique resting on Baltimore's historic waterfront offers scenic boat trips and ghost tours. Spacious rooms are notably comfortable with antique furnishings. Tapas Adela serves up delicious cocktails and a Spanish menu. Location is perfect for local exploring for all the family. See More
Hotel Indigo Baltimore Downtown Baltimore 162 rooms from £112Local exploring - Explore the hotel's historic Mount Vernon neighbhourhood; expect cobblestone streets, impressive brownstones and major sitesLearning - It's walking distance to John Hopkins University, Maryland Institute College of Art and The Peabody InstituteCity Style - Very cool Bi-Level Suites offer two floors of loft-style inner city living, perfect for extended staysSailing - It's very easy to get to Baltimore's Inner Habour for cruises, charters and great waterfront restaurants
Cool contemporary hotel located in desirable Mount Vernon neighbourhood. Well-designed rooms feel fresh and current; expect spa-inspired bathrooms, custom artwork and cosy residential touches. Trendy restaurant, library, gym and business centre makes this ideal for stays in the city centre. See More
Rachael's Dowry Baltimore 6 rooms from £147Local exploring - Managing to feel quiet and peaceful, the area is walking distance from many of Baltimore's main sitesCity Style - Feel like a well-heeled local when staying at this elegant and centrally-located baseSights nearby - Walk to Baltimore's Inner Harbour, Lexington Market, Edgar Allen Poe Museum and Barre Circle Historic DistrictRestrictions on children - Children aged 10 and above are welcome at the property
Built-in 1798 as the home of a prominent American family, this beautifully restored traditional townhouse is now an award-winning inn. Centrally located, yet with a pleasant courtyard garden, 6 classically decorated rooms have antique furniture, Persian rugs, fireplaces & stand-alone tubs. See More
The Inn at Henderson's Wharf Baltimore (1000 Fell Street) 38 rooms from £195WeddingsSights nearby - The Marina at Henderson's Wharf, on the doorstep, is a great place to see the boats of the seas.Views - Great views from hotelOutstanding location
Personal butler service ensures this old tobacco factory fits the brief. In a quiet corner of Fell's Point on Henderson's Wharf you'll find a charming inner courtyard garden overlooked by large, modern rooms, some with views of the sea. Explore fine dining and good pubs on this historic waterfront. See More
The Sagamore Pendry Baltimore 128 rooms from £215City Style - An uber cool waterfront hotel with floor to ceiling steal-cast windows, cutting edge interior design and fabulous dining optionsLocal exploring - Right in the beating heart of Baltimore's buzzy waterfront, filled with restaurants and tourist entertainmentsSights nearby - Edgar Allen Poe’s house has been turned into a National Historic Landmark telling the history of the poet's lifeLocal markets - Lexington Market started in 1872 and boasts over a 100 local food vendors along with live jazzRecommended by - Tablet
Once a dancehall for the floods of immigrants entering the US, Recreation Point now holds a trendy design hotel that is taking Baltimore's waterfront by storm! The cool interiors are matched with fantastic service and a range of show-stopping eateries and bars. With an outdoor pool and fab location! See More
The Ivy Baltimore 18 rooms from £410City Style - The Ivy enjoys a perfect location for those looking to get to know BaltimoreTotal relaxation - Luxurious accommodation and extensive spa facilities at your disposal!Sights nearby - Wander over to the historic Mount Vernon Place and check out Johnson SquareLocal markets - Head over to Baltimore's bustling Lexington MarketRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux
The luxury 5* Ivy Hotel was built in 1889 and offers elegant accommodation in downtown Baltimore. The rooms are designed in a traditional manner but with plenty of colour to liven things up, whilst meals at their superb Magdalena restaurant aren't to be missed out on. An upmarket and classy stay! See More
Four Seasons Baltimore Baltimore (Harbor East) 256 rooms from £486Romantic Break - Offering views from bed, indulgent VIP couple's spa suite and private helicopter tours, this is the place to push the boat outFamilies - Four Seasons knows how to take care of the whole family; the property provides pampering for adults, kids and teenagers alikeSpa breaks - Impressive spa packages include special night experiences for couples and no-touch treatments for more vulnerable guestsArtworks - The hotel's boasts the city's largest art collection; it was curated by Mark Myers of Atlantic Arts
Glitzy five-star urban waterfront retreat located on prime Baltimore Harbor real estate. Views are everywhere; be dazzled from the outdoor pool, rooms, spa and high-rise restaurants. Expansive rooms and suites offer every comfort imaginable, whether in town for business, romance or family vacations. See More