Search the best hotels in Illinois
Birthplace of presidents and one America’s traditional industrial heartlands, the Midwestern state of Illinois has often been proclaimed as a kind of microcosm of the US itself. Our pick of the best places to stay in Illinois offer a range for all tastes and budgets from superb value to uber chic, top notch luxury.
What Not To Miss
- With its extraordinary range of settings ranging from the urban chic of the Chicago metropolis, to the rust belt relics of America’s manufacturing heyday, Illinois is also largely rural, part of the great Midwest bread basket where the fields roll into infinity.
- Over three centuries its wide open spaces, farms and factories have drawn millions of migrants from different parts of Europe, making Illinois is a fascinating ethnic patchwork with much of the pioneer character still preserved.
- Enjoy the stunning array of natural and manmade parks with everything from waterfalls to Japanese gardens - it's perfect for a spot of hiking or having a tranquil time away from it all.
- The state also has some excellent breweries where visitors can enjoy a taste and a tour of various local specialities - a perfect way to get the authentic Illinois experience!
- Alternatively, for a more educational visit to Illinois, take a trip to one of the numerous museums encompassing all sorts of different exhibits and things to see - there's really no shortage of places for visitors of all interests.
Although, Chicago apart, not on the main beaten tracks of American tourism, this state has it all. The Hotel Guru’s choice of the best places to stay in Illinois reflect the extraordinary range of experiences that lie in wait for the adventurous traveller.
The best places to stay in Illinois
For great value
- If you're on a budget and happy to share with others you don't know yet, then book one of The Freehand's shared Quad Rooms. These chic spaces start from just $25 per person per night and you're right in the centre of Chicago.
For city chic
- Hotel Palomar is ideal if you want to be close to Chicago's best bits. Here you'll be within easy reach of Navy Pier, Lake Michigan and all the shopping streets and galleries.
- Thompson Chicago also boasts a great situation. It's has lakeside views and is perfectly placed for the Magnificent Mile.
- Hotel Lincoln is on the north side of Chicago opposite Lincoln Park. The newly renovated hotel has rooms that are mostly lake facing with local art works and all facilities. This fun-loving hotel houses the farm-to-fork Perennial Virant restaurant and a rooftop bar for stunning views. Great spot to explore.
- The Robey is situated in Chicago's Wicker Park. Set in the art-deco former Northwest Tower building it provides boutique and upmarket accommodation featuring plenty of neutral tones. Café Robey serves up French-American fusion cuisine. Enjoy cocktails on the rooftop lounge! A top-notch stay.
- Virgin Hotel is perfect for the modern traveller or business getaway in Downtown Chicago. Two-chamber rooms with all the mod-cons are contemporary and luxurious. With five restaurants on site there is much choice, as well as the spa and fitness centre. Location is perfect for theatre, shopping and food lovers.
For a lively property
- Chicago Athletic Association was a Gentleman's club in the early 1800s and now opens its Venetian Gothic doors to business travellers, leisure seekers and city slickers. There are large, retro rooms boasting Millennium Park views. Cherry Circle Room catches the essence of its former dining purpose. Remember the bar up on Cindy's Roof Top Terrace.
- The James is a flagship chic hotel one block away from Miracle Mile is well finished and a swanky affair in a prime location. Rooms are spacious and plush with spectacular views. Between David Burke's Primehouse steak house and the range of spa treatments it is a fantastic city break spot.
- Acme Hotel Company is a hip hotel with boutique-appeal and sophisticated rooms overlooking the skyscrapers of down-town Chicago. Rooms are sleek and monochrome with splashes of colour and kitted out in gadgetry galore. The Berkshire Room bar is a trendy spot for young Chicagoans to unwind with a craft cocktail.
- Public Chicago - part of the Gold Coast neighbourhood, this personal, luxurious and lively hotel caters to all guests' needs while offering prime location in Chicago. Rooms are plush down to the cotton linen count. The Pump Room bar is popular with all and award winning chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten is worth a try.
- You can't go wrong with the Four Seasons - beautifully furnished rooms and suites and fabulous facilities.
- The Langham overlooks the Chicago river and jostles with the other skyscrapers for the best view. There's a huge indoor pool, pampering spa and various dining options. Come here for understated elegance and distinctly British style.
- Milenorth, this boutique, lively hotel on the Magnificent Mile and 5 minutes from Navy Pier is luxury and location in one. Rooms are contemporary modern and airy. The rooftop houses a popular bar and restaurant enjoyed by locals alike. Great spot for a city break with restaurants and shops all around.
- The Peninsula Chicago exudes dignified grandeur. Rooms feature touches of high-class elegance such as Bernaudaud china, soaking tubs in bathrooms and specially commissioned art. Impeccable views of glittering downtown Chicago from most rooms and suites. Pool, gym, spa, three award-winning restaurants.
- Dana Hotel & Spa - in a prime spot this boutique hotel boasts breathtaking Chicago views from the Vertigo Sky Lounge. Modern, spacious rooms offer mini bar and in-room spa treatments. Enjoy the onsite gym and spa, the global cuisine restaurant and popular bar. A great place for all the family to explore a vibrant city.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a diverse selection of properties to suit holidays of all types.
- Fly to Chicago O'Hare International Airport located 26.7km (16.6 miles) from Chicago with a wide selection of flights both domestically and Internationally, including to Europe and the Middle East.
- Amtrak has services all across Illinois with trains running within the state along with further afield.
- If you want to rent a car - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August provides warm weather for exploring the outdoors and plenty of festivals meaning there's lots to see and do.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our pick of the best places to stay in Illinois.
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Wisconsin or Missouri
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Illinois
Freehand Chicago (Near North Side) 217 rooms from £66
Trendy hostel and hotel offering chic but affordable accommodations in exciting downtown Chicago. Popular and busy bar serves craft cocktails and light meals. Rooms are hip with a boutique appeal, high-quality furniture in dark woods, walls decorated with crafts and an effortlessly cool vibe.Value chic - With doubles from as little as $85 per night (or only $25 per person if you're prepared to share a dorm) it's unbeatable valueGreat walks - Every Saturday morning, the hotel arranges for pay-what-you-like walking tours.Kayaking - Explore Chicago from an unusual angle on a kayaking water tour.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Tablet
The Robey Chicago 69 rooms from £105
Situated in Chicago's Wicker Park, The Robey is set in the art-deco former Northwest Tower building and provides boutique, upmarket accommodation. Expect fresh and contemporary design. Café Robey serves up French-American fusion cuisine and cocktails are served on the rooftop lounge. Superb!City Style - Chic accommodation in a historic building evoking memories of bygone yearsLocal exploring - Make the most out of The Robey's location to truly get to know ChicagoSights nearby - Head over to Wrigley Field and enjoy a Cubs game or give the Lioncoln Park Zoo a visitViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
Acme Hotel Company Chicago (Near North Side) 130 rooms from £145
Hip hotel with boutique-appeal and sophisticated rooms overlooking the skyscrapers of down-town Chicago. Rooms are sleek and monochrome with splashes of colour and kitted out in gadgetry galore. The Berkshire Room bar is a trendy spot for young Chicagoans to unwind with a craft cocktail.Sights nearby - Willis Tower and John Hancock Observatory to name a few!Quirky - An experience!Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel Lincoln Chicago (Illinois) 184 rooms from £117
On the north side of Chicago opposite Lincoln Park rests the newly renovated Hotel Lincoln. Rooms are mostly lake facing with local art works and all facilities. This fun-loving hotel houses the farm-to-fork Perennial Virant restaurant and a rooftop bar for stunning views. Great spot to explore.Great walks - Go for a stroll through Lincoln Park which the hotel overlooks.Sights nearby - Wrigley Field is nearby.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Views - Great views from hotel
The Talbott Hotel Chicago 149 rooms from £132
A glamorous great Gatsby style hotel, in a beautifully refurbished 1920's building in downtown Chicago. The comfortable and spacious rooms have been carefully crafted by local designers. The popular on site restaurant draws crowds, as do the cocktails at the vintage bar. An elegant spot.City Style - This hotel harks back to glory days of Chicago in the 1920's- a masterpeice of gleaming marble and vintage fixturesDesigner Shopping - Just down the road you will find the Magnificent Mile of Michigan Avenue, famed for its designer shoppingHotel Entertainment - 20 East the hotel's restaurant is somewhat of a local hotspot and tends to become lively on the weekendsSights nearby - The renowned House of Blues music venue is less than a mile away and well worth a visitRecommended by - Tablet
Public Chicago Chicago (1301 N State St) 285 rooms from £140
Part of the Gold Coast neighborhood, this personal, luxurious and lively hotel caters to all guests' needs while offering prime location in Chicago. Rooms are plush down to the cotton linen count. The Pump Room bar is popular with all and award winning chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten is worth a try.Sights nearby - Willis Tower, John Hancock Centre and the Art Institute of Chicago are all famous in their own right and worth a visit.Great walks - Walks on the Lake Front Trail or through Chicago Park District.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Lively - Hip and happening.
The James Chicago (Illinois) 294 rooms from £140
This flagship chic hotel one block away from Miracle Mile is well finished and a swanky affair in a prime location. Rooms are spacious and plush with spectacular views. Between David Burke's Primehouse steak house and the range of spa treatments it is a fantastic city break spotLively - David Burke's bar is popular with the local Chicago crowd/Views - Higher rooms offering great view of the Chicago cityscape.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Romantic - Good for couples.
Chicago Athletic Association Chicago (Illinois) 241 rooms from £148
Gentleman's club in the early 1800s now opens its Venetian Gothic doors to business travellers, leisure seekers and city slickers. Large, retro rooms boasting Millennium Park views. Cherry Circle Room catches the essence of its former dining purpose. Remember the bar up on Cindy's Roof Top Terrace.Sights nearby - Millennium Park is in close proximity to the hotel.Lively - Hip and happening.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
Milenorth Chicago (Illinois) 215 rooms from £152
This boutique, lively hotel on the Magnificent Mile and 5 minutes from Navy Pier is luxury and location in one. Rooms are contemporary modern and airy. The rooftop houses a popular bar and restaurant enjoyed by locals alike. Great spot for a city break with restaurants and shops all around.Sights nearby - Willis Tower and the John Hanncock Centre are worth a visit for spectacular views of Chicago.Lively - Hip and happening.Full of characterOutstanding location
The Kimpton Gray Hotel Chicago 293 rooms from £157
An iconic and elegant building in the Loop's financial corridor. Named for its grey marble exterior, the rooms mirror this toned down grandeur, with the odd splash of colour and quirky design. With a range of bars and restaurants, an excellent gym and spa they have all the bases covered.City Style - A suave sophisticated hotel with twin staircases and vintage elevators in the heart of ChicagoRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelSpaRecommended by - Tablet
Viceroy Chicago Chicago 180 rooms from £167
A magnificent hybrid of old and new, a perfectly preserved 1920's facade attached to a glistening glass tower. Inside you will find the same paradoxes, the rooms are spectacular and so are the views from their floor to ceiling windows. The rooftop bar draws a crowd, as does The Somerset downstairs.City Style - A historic 1920's facade married to a glorious waved glass tower, with interiors by TAL Studio- the result will not disappointSights nearby - Just down the road is the Oak Street Beach, a sandy shore of Lake Michigan where one can swim and lounge in the sunDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
The Publishing House Chicago 13 rooms from £176
A boutique B&B offering hip design in the trendy West Loop. Featuring a heaving library and author-themed rooms with books to match. A home-cooked breakfast feast is provided for each guest and there's a round-the-clock pantry. A charming and central base to explore the city from.Local markets - Check out Randolph Street Market, the West Loop’s monthly vintage bonanza. Its food-focused rival is Chicago French MarketHideaway - With plenty of books to choose from in the hotel library, curl up in one of the reading nooksViews - Stunning city viewsLively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Hotel Palomar, Chicago Chicago (Illinois) 261 rooms from £187
This boutique hotel in the River North district offers an indoor pool, in-room spa treatments, restaurant and popular bar. Rooms are modern with designer bathroom features. Business and fitness centres on site. Proximity to Navy Pier, Michigan Lake and Chicago's landmarks and galleries.24 Hour room serviceViews - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Thompson Chicago Chicago (21 E Bellevue Pl) 247 rooms from £219
Among the Chicago Mansions, this lively and trendy hotel offers prime location for Magnificent Mile and lakeside views. Contemporary rooms with noteworthy comfortable beds and waterfall showers, offering room service as well as Nico Osteria restaurant for fine Italian cuisine and wines.Lively - Salone Nico is a favourite of Chicago bussiness types on an evening.Sights nearby - Buckingham Fountain is a must see, as well as 'The Bean'.Great walks - Grant Park and Lincoln Park are both worth a visit.Views - Either of Lake Michigan or the Chicago skyline.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Virgin Hotel Chicago (Illinois) 250 rooms from £226
Perfect for the modern traveller or business getaway in Downtown Chicago. Two-chamber rooms with all the mod-cons are contemporary and luxurious. With five restaurants on site there is much choice, as well as the spa and fitness centre. Location is perfect for theatre, shopping and food lovers.Sights nearby - The Willis Tower or John Hanncock Centre - both offer great views of the city.Lively - Bar and entertainment readily avaliable.Spa
Dana Hotel & Spa Chicago (Illinois) 216 rooms from £336
In a prime spot this boutique hotel boasts breathtaking Chicago views from the Vertigo Sky Lounge. Modern, spacious rooms offer mini bar and in-room spa treatments. Enjoy the onsite gym and spa, the global cuisine restaurant and popular bar. A great place for all the family to explore a vibrant cityGreat walks - North Beach, Lincoln Park and along Michigan Lake all offer great locations for a stroll in the city.Sights nearby - Museum of Contemporary Art and Navy Pier are all within walking distance.Local markets - The famous American Girl store is close by.Lively - Hip and happening.
The Peninsula Chicago Chicago (Near North Side) 339 rooms from £390
The Peninsula exudes dignified grandeur. Rooms feature touches of high-class elegance such as Bernaudaud china, soaking tubs in bathrooms and specially commissioned art. Impeccable views of glittering downtown Chicago from most rooms and suites. Pool, gym, spa, three award-winning restaurants.Spa - The Peninsula Spa is inspired by Ayurvedic and Asian philosophies, wih massages and therapy treatments to soothe any ailment.Sights nearby - The Museum of Contemporary Art, Driehaus Museum and beloved Chicago Water Tower are all a 5 minute stroll from the Peninsula.Lively area - Located in the Near North area of Downtown Chicago, along the electric Magnificent Mile.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool with views over downtown Chicago's skyline.Recommended by - Tablet
The Langham, Chicago Chicago (Near North Side) 268 rooms from £429
Overlooking the Chicago river and surrounded by down-town Chi-town skyscrapers, this hotel is a glamorous choice for the discerning traveller. Rooms feature a cream canvas, dark polished woods and royal purple throws. Gym, spa, pool. Exclusive private members' club with city views. Restaurant, bar.Sights nearby - Located right next to the ostentatious and famous Trump Tower and less than a mile from the Museum of Contemporary Art.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Views - Great views from hotelSpa
Four Seasons Chicago Chicago (Gold Coast) 346 rooms from £449
All rooms and suites are stylishly furnished with French furniture, floral motifs, art adorning the walls, and shades of plum, champagne, rose and dove grey. Beautiful views over Chicago or Lake Michigan. Spectacular indoor pool under a domed skylight. Gym, full-service spa, jacuzzi, restaurant.Sights nearby - In downtown Chicago there is a multitude of architectural splendour, museums and art galleries in the near vicinity.Views - Panoramic views over Chicago and Lake Michigan.Spa - Body treatments, facial, massages and sauna.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool