20 of Crete's Best Beach Hotels
With a summer season lasting well into October — September is still considered high season — and almost tropical-warmth seas at the height of summer, Crete has one of Europe's longest beach-holiday seasons. It is hardly surprising then that there are a world-class selection of beach hotels to choose from. Our hotel experts have scoured the length and breadth of the island to bring you a collection of Crete's best beach hotels selected on their location, designs, service, and amenities. Whether you are planning a getaway with the family, a couples' escape or a luxury break — there is something to suit most tastes and budgets here. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next beach break?
For great value
- Aspros Potamos offers exceptional value accommodation on the quieter southern coast, just minutes from the beach. Accommodation is in traditional stone cottages, which make the perfect base for a simple family-friendly break.
- Hotel Porto Loutro is a hidden gem right on the beach with glorious views over the Med. It's off the beaten track, but once you get here, you won't be disappointed and doubles start from very reasonable levels.
For private beach access
- Close to Agios Nikolaos, and right on the beach, Minos Beach Art Hotel offers white-washed Minoan-style cottages with contemporary-furnished interiors — some with private pools — plus waterside dining and peaceful gardens. A romantic, stylish choice for a beach holiday.
- Blue Palace, A Luxury Collection Resort & Spa is an ultra-luxurious haven combining the best of villa and hotel facilities, with over half the villas having private infinity pools. There's also an award-winning spa plus fine dining options. The private beach area (complete with an open-air cinema in the evenings) seals the deal.
For a rejuvenating break
- A holistic approach to wellbeing underlies the luxury Cretan Malia Park in Malia. Set on an unspoiled beach, the resort offers bespoke suites and private bungalows with custom-made furniture and natural accents inspired by the landscape. Start the day with a farm-to-table breakfast before a bike ride. Perfect for a tranquil break.
- The Minoa Palace Resort & Spa is a beachfront property for all the family with miriad facilities including kids club, playground and entertainment staff. It's a five-star option, but without the hefty price tag of some of its rivals.
- Out of the Blue Capsis Elite is a huge property, occupying its own private peninsula. So as well as superb facilities for all the family (think amusement park and kids club for the little ones and yoga lessons and spa for the adults), it has access to three private beaches and an excellent array of watersports.
- Abaton Island Resort is a glamorous property offering the utmost in luxury on Crete's picturesque coast. Accommodation is spacious and secluded while the Loft Luxury Seafront room is ideal for romantic couples with its mezzanine bedroom, outdoor whirlpool tub and private pool.
- St Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel and Villas is a low-rise garden resort with immaculate seaside grounds. Rooms with floaty linen curtains have excellent sea views from their large glass windows. Suites and private villas have personal pools. Couples can spoil themselves with chartered yachts, tandem massages, and fine dining.
For a boutique
- Swell Boutique Hotel is a stylish modern boutique hotel with spacious one-bedroom suites complete with separate living areas and great views over the ocean. With its smart restaurant, bar, and outdoor pool — this is a grown-up stay well suited to a couples' getaway.
- Domes Noruz Chania boasts a spectacular coastal location. This is a 5* boutique property which offers chic accommodation decorated in a typically Mediterranean fashion and all rooms with either a private plunge pool or hot tub. Fantastic food is served up and there are two bars. A spoiling option.
For local exploring
- Thalassa Boutique Hotel is an exclusive beachfront property located in historic Rethymno. Rooms are traditionally dressed and the best of these have private terraces with sea views. A great jump-off point to explore local historical sites and then there's always the pool and beach to return to for a cooling dip.
- Experience luxury in abundance at Elounda Peninsula with its contemporary, stylish decor and sea views. All rooms come with an outdoor pool and private hot tub. Plus there's an award-winning restaurant, a superb wine list and a well-known spa on site. Total bliss.
- Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel is a five-star eco-hotel that overlooks the famous Mirabello Bay in Elounda. All rooms boast sea views while the best have a private terrace hot tub. Take your pick from three gourmet restaurants and bars. All the makings of a great luxury stay.
- Nana Princess is a stunning contemporary five-star property in Hersonissos with its own private sandy beach. Almost all of the accommodation comes with a private pool, plus you'll find three fine dining restaurants, a wonderful spa and tailor-made services that are hard to beat.
- With only 69 rooms, the Caramel Boutique Hotel is like a luxury resort hotel but with an intimate feel. Right on Réthymno beach, if offers stylish white-and-blue rooms, a palm-fringed pool, shady gazebos and plenty of watersports. Very family friendly too.
- At the other end of the scale, the Elounda Bay Palace is a full-blown, luxury resort with two semi-private beaches, several pools, endless activities for all the family — including a kids' club, mini-golf, tennis, scuba diving, sailing — and five restaurants. As well as spacious rooms, there are bungalows and villas dotted around 20 acres of gardens.
- Equally swish — and perhaps just that little bit smarter — the Domes of Elounda offers a private beach, a huge spa, saltwater pools plus extensive children’s activities, and plenty for grown-ups, including snorkelling (if you’re feeling active) and wine-tasting, if not! There are also three restaurants, so no chance of growing bored.
- And if you'd like your own private pool, as well as access to a private beach, Daios Cove Luxury Resort might be just the thing. This sleek, luxury resort is close to Agios Nikolaos and offers chic villas and suites plus watersports, a luxury spa and three restaurants.
Still not sure where to book?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to say on Crete
- Refine your search by location to the best places to stay in Heraklion, the best places to stay in Rethymno or the best places to stay in Chania
- Refine your search to our Guru's recommendations for 10 of the Best Luxury Hotels on Crete or 15 of the Best Spa Hotels on Crete
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Nana Princess Hersonissos 112 rooms from £472Total relaxation - Relaxation is Nana Princess's prime aim, and it boasts tailor made services and spa facilities that are hard to beatRomantic Break - Luxury accommodation, stunning sea views, private pools, gourmet a la carte dining - what more could you want?Beach Life - A stunning luxury contemporary property with its own private sandy beachFamilies - Superb family accommodation with some villas sleeping up to seven
A stunning contemporary five star resort that will leave you wanting for nothing! Luxurious rooms, suites and villas - most with private heated pools - boast stunning views and top notch amenities. Three fine dining restaurants, state of the art spa, private sandy beach. A spoiling beach treat! See More
Aspros Potamos Lasithi, Crete 10 rooms from £65Back to Nature - This stunning area of natural beauty combines beaches and mountains covered by lush greenery, pine, olive and citrus treesEco break - The buildings have been restored in a traditional fashion, using all natural materials and only renewable energy sourcesGreat walks - Explore the ancient settlement of Aspros Potamos on foot, the terrain is ideal for hikers and mountaineersSelf catering - Self-catering apartments (of varying sizes) include firelit lounges, kitchens, and terraces
A home-away-from-home set in a stunning rural spot with beaches, bars and tavernas a walk away. A small collection of traditional stone cottages make the perfect base for families. Self-catering and BBQ are available for all. Return to simpler times at this beautiful hideaway on Crete. See More
Hotel Porto Loutro Loutro, Crete 23 rooms from £61Total relaxation - Utterly charming accommodation with sea views and a no mobile policy in shared spaces creating a tranquil environmentFull of character - With quarried slate or marble floors, beamed ceilings, and private balconies each room has bags of characterGroups - With great value rooms this small hotel is a good option for groups of friends looking for a quiet hideawayGreat walks - The island has no roads and no cars making it an ideal location for a walking holiday
Minos Beach Art Hotel Agios Nikolaos 129 rooms from £336Honeymoons - A haven of tranquility with private villas with mountian and sea views, spoiling massages and haute cuisine overlooking the bayBeach Life - Set directly on the crystal clear waters, indulge in diving, sailing, fishing or simply basking on the stunning beachesHotel boats for hire - Venture out in the hotel's motorboat around the bay or day cruises to Spinalonga and MochlosArtworks - A wealth of fine art and sculptures are scattered through the propertyRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Set in an out-of-this-world location right on the Cretan seafront. A collection of understated luxury rooms and bungalows are elegantly decorated with simple white walls and minimalist artworks. Excellent Mediterranean dishes are served up in the restaurants. Ideal for totally relaxing. See More
Out of the Blue Capsis Elite Heraklion 490 rooms from £165Active Holiday - For those who want an active break there is plenty to do on-site including watersports, tennis, fishing, and scuba divingFamilies - With Capsis Minoan Amusement Park, a playground and a supervised pool the kids stay happy and everybody gets a holiday!Beach Life - Set on a private peninsula in Agia Pelagia, with access to three beaches and a huge array of watersportsHotel Entertainment - There's never a dull evening here with seven bars and a disco featuring live dj setsRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
An opulent resort comprising five hotels in one on a private peninsula. Highly discreet, with striking designs, each hotel is different. Plenty of suites and private villas have pools. There are seven restaurants to choose from, a kids' club, and a wide range of activities - a real crowd pleaser. See More
Minoa Palace Resort and Spa Chania, Crete 254 rooms from £154Families - Parents chill by the pool while the youngsters make the most of the kids' club, children's playground and entertainment staffResort - With activities for all, multiple pools, a spoiling spa and more - this is perfect for those who want everything onsite5* Luxury - An elegant five star with chic modern design, attentive service, and a wide choice of amenitiesTotal relaxation - Relax to the max with hot tub, hammam, sauna, aromatherapy treatments and hot stone massages
Caramel Boutique Resort Rethymno 69 rooms from £344Romantic Break - For romance pick the Caramel Luxury Suite Private, which has a good-sized terrace with sea views and an outdoor whirlpool bathFamilies - With a spa for adults and a kids club complete with boundless activities for children, this is an ideal choice for familiesLocal exploring - The location feels secluded, however, the attractions of Rethymnon are just 7km awayBeach Life - Set directly on a stretch of sandy beach, this is the perfect beach destination
A luxury boutique hotel with quirky design and a private stretch of beach. Suites, bungalows, and villas are light and airy with large swathes of glass and a modern take on Cretian design. There's a gorgeous lagoon-style pool, a small spa, and a restaurant. A luxurious hideaway near Rethymnon. See More
Elounda Bay Palace Elounda 152 rooms from £209Families - The young ones are kept happy with loads of activities at the kids club and playground, while parents get time to relaxActive Holiday - Never a dull moment with mini golf, billiards, darts, tennis, scuba diving, sailing, waterskiing, fishing and moreRestaurant - Thalassa Waterfront restaurant serving delicious seafood dishes and Aretoussa Restaurant - Greek & international cuisineSailing - Either charter your own boat or take a skipper, and set sail directly from the hotelRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Impressive luxury resort, totally insulated from the outside world in semi-tropical gardens. Large rooms offer mountain views or sea views from the large glass windows. Suites have private pools. An epic choice of restaurants and bars. Lovely beaches, ideal for a romantic break or family holiday. See More
St Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel and Villas Agios Nikolaos (Thessi Nissi) 107 rooms from £226Romantic Break - Spoil yourselves with chartered yachts, tandem massages, chic rooms, five on site restaurants plus cocktail bar and beach barTotal relaxation - Totally unwind with relaxing Poseidon Spa face and body therapies, sauna, Hammam, hot tub and cocktails!Sailing - Explore untouched beaches and coves in the hotel's 34-foot sailing boat.Full of character - The retro 60's look adds an element of "cool"Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Low-rise garden resort with immaculate seaside grounds. Rooms with floaty linen curtains have excellent sea views from their large glass windows. Suites and private villas have personal pools. A good selection of bars and restaurants. Explore the surrounding islands or simply lie back and relax. See More
Domes of Elounda Elounda 118 rooms from £254Spa - The spa includes an indoor seawater pool, a hammam, a sauna & steam, a frigidarium & tepidarium plus a wide range of treatmentsResort - With everything you could want on-site, this is a great choice to come and simply unwindFamilies - Numerous activities for children from tennis lessons and watersports to drawing classesBeach Life - With a private sandy beach this is an easy choice for a beach getawayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A stunning resort on Mirabello Bay with its own private beach and dreamy views. Smart rooms and suites have modern furnishings, all the modern gadgetry, balconies, and some have private pools. Three excellent restaurants, salt water pools and an extensive spa complete the picture on this luxe stay. See More
Daios Cove Resort Agios Nikolaos 300 rooms from £533Active Holiday - Endless onsite activities such as watersports, a scuba diving centre, sailing and motor yacht rental, yoga, and tennis courtsFamilies - There is a wide range of family friendly accommodation including villas with pools, plus on site kids club etcBeach Life - A wonderful luxury resort with its own private beach and excelllent watersports facilitiesSpa breaks - There is a luxury spa on site with extensive facilities for a pampering break
Luxury beach resort just minutes from Agios Nikolaos. Sumptuous suites and villas have contemporary interiors and fabulous sea views, and many with their own private pool. Private sandy beach, and fantastic facilities for all the family including a luxury spa and kids club. See More
Thalassa Boutique Hotel Rethymno (Crete) 21 rooms from £161Local exploring - Located in the historic town of Rethymno, this hotel is a great starting point for exploring local sightsBeach Life - Sitting in a prime location on the seafront, you can't get a more convenient base for a beach holidaySights nearby - Visit the Monastery of Arkadi, a historic monastery which, according to tradition, was founded by Emperor HeraklionLocal markets - Explore Heraklion's central market and find unique souvenirs to take home from your holiday
This exclusive beachfront hotel in Rethymno recently underwent a full renovation. Boasting four stars, rooms are dressed in a traditional style; premium linens complement exposed stone walls and the best suites have terraces with sea views. Take a dip in the courtyard pool; a stylish seaside hotel. See More
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel Elounda (Lasithi) 88 rooms from £162Active Holiday - With great conditions for watersports on Mirabello Bay, make this an active holiday on the waterHotel boats for hire - Enjoy a day out on a yacht; enquire to book from the hotel's fleet on FerettisHoneymoons - Book a suite with your own private hot tub for a honeymoon with added luxuryBeach Life - With its own private beach, this hotel is perfect for a seaside retreat
This five-star eco hotel overlooks the famous Mirabello Bay in Elounda, Crete. All rooms boast sea views and Egyptian cotton sheets; the best have a private terrace hot tub and marble bathroom. Take your pick from three gourmet restaurants and bars, including a poolside bar. A luxury beach holiday. See More
Cretan Malia Park Malia, Crete 205 rooms from £157Yoga - Wellbeing is a key tenet of this lifestyle hotel; book onto a course of yoga classes during your stay to refocus and revitaliseBack to Nature - Nestled on a secluded beach in Crete with nature-inspired interior design, book this hotel for a holistic escape from the cityHideaway - Set outside of the busy town centre, with all the amenities you need onsite, book this hotel for a tranquil hideaway holidayFamilies - Enjoy tailored, family-friendly experiences at this hotel, from the kids' club to the children's playroom and poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A holistic approach to wellbeing underlies this luxury Cretan resort in Malia. Set on an unspoiled beach, the resort offers bespoke suites and private bungalows with custom-made furniture and natural accents inspired by the landscape. Start the day with farm-to-table breakfast before a bike ride. See More
Elounda Peninsula Elounda 50 rooms from £279Families - Family suites and private villas with pools - plus babysitting services and a kids' clubSpa breaks - An award winning spa specializes in unique treatments and medicinal treatmentsFoodies - Sumosan - an award winning restaurant on site serves Japanese gourmet cuisineDiving - Crystal clear waters and fascinating flora and fauna to discoverRecommended by - Tablet
Experience luxury in abundance at this peninsula hotel with contemporary decor and great sea views. All suites come with an outdoor pool and, along with its adjacent sister hotels, there’s an abundance of facilities, including 10 restaurants and bars, a spa, kids’ club and watersports. Bliss. See More
Abaton Island Resort Hersonissos 152 rooms from £201Romantic Break - For couples, the Loft Luxury Seafront room with mezzanine bedroom, outdoor whirlpool tub and private pool is idealContemporary - Expect sleek minimalist design with a distinclty Cretian feel at this luxe propertyBeach Life - Spend lazy days under the sun on the beautiful stretch of private beachTotal relaxation - Unwind in utter tranquility and indulge yourself in the fabulous spaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A glamorous coastal property offering the upmost in luxury on Crete's picturesque coast. Accommodation is spacious and secluded, the best options have heated seawater pools, but all are utterly indulgent. The five restaurants serve a range of food from sushi to Greek and there's a fabulous spa too. See More
Swell Boutique Hotel Rethymno 741 00 28 rooms from £217Romantic Break - Elegantly decorated rooms with balconies, in-room dining and some with hot-tubs - perfect for a romantic getawayBeach Life - A beachfront hotel; every room comes with a balcony/sit-out terrace with views of the Cretan SeaLocal exploring - Moments away from the city with its historical sights, restaurants and barsOther Activities - The Venetian Harbour and the Centre of Byzantine Art are close by
Domes Noruz Chania Chania (Agioi Apostoloi) 83 rooms from £364Romantic Break - A beautiful location, gorgeous views, long walks on the beach and no kids around-the ideal spot for a romantic getaway!Total relaxation - Feel utterly rejuvenated with indulgent spa treatments, lazy days on the beach, and healthy cuisineBeach Life - Domes Noruz Chania boasts private beach access making it an easy choice for a beach getawayLocal exploring - If you can tear yourself away from the beach, Chania's old town is just ten minutes awayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Domes Noruz Chania boasts a spectacular location on the coast of Crete. This 5* property offers boutique accommodation decorated in a typically Mediterranean fashion and with either a private plunge pool or hot tub. Fantastic food served up and two bars for you to try out. A spoiling stay. See More
Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa Elounda 251 rooms from £426Beach Life - The property has a private beach area (complete with an open-air cineam in the evenings) - ideal for a quiet beach getawayHoneymoons - This is honeymoon stuff- blue skies, crystal clear waters, indulgent spa, luxury accomadation and sunset cruisesScuba course - The hotel offers scuba lessons plus night dives and boat dives, the perfect way to explore this beautiful coastSpa breaks - A luxe spa combines the benefits of Thalassotherapy with the commitment to luxury and personal attentionRecommended by - Kiwi Collection