10 of the Best Beach Hotels on the Amalfi Coast
The Amalfi Coast, just below Naples, is a spectacular series of vertiginous limestone cliffs plunging straight into the sea. Rocky headlands are interspersed with tiny coves and curved beaches, the latter a mix of sand and pebble. Some of the beaches can be quite small or hard to reach and can become very crowded in the height of the summer. Indeed, quite often you have to pay to use them. Some hotels have their own private beach or boats to take you to less-crowded coves. All of these are good reasons for knowing which are the best beach hotels on the Amalfi Coast, before you book!
Maiori has the largest stretch of sandy beach along this coast, which makes it a good choice for families, as is nearby Minori. Positano has two attractive beaches: Spiaggia Grande, immediately below the village, and the larger Spiaggia del Fornillo, a five-minute walk around the headland to the west of the town.
Praiano, to the east of Positano, is likely to be less crowded if you don’t mind a pebbly beach or swimming off rocks. However, if you venture a little further east towards Amalfi, you’ll find some proper sandy beaches. Amalfi, with its bustling seafront, also has a decent beach and a quieter one in nearby Atrani.
Hotels with a Private Beach
- With its white-on-white bedrooms, sleek lines and bold, modern art, Casa Angelina in Praiano is a design-junkie's dream. Rooms have private terraces and unbroken sea views while four fishermen’s cottages near the private beach have their own shady terraces. Plus there’s a pool and boat exclusively for guests.
- Set just outside Amalfi, Hotel Santa Caterina, a grand, 19th-century villa, is a luxurious hideaway, with a private beach, lush gardens and a gourmet restaurant. Rooms are boldly styled, mixing the cool contemporary with antiques, ceramic-tiled floors and rich drapes.
- For old-style, grand luxury and faultless service, you can’t go wrong with Il San Pietro di Positano which appears to cling to the cliffs across the bay from Positano town. Not only does it have all the luxurious accoutrements of spa, private yacht, tennis courts, gourmet restaurant, infinity pool and private terraces but there's also a lift down to its private beach.
The Best Beachside Hotels
- Set in the cliffs above Maiori, and a stroll to the coast’s biggest beach, Hotel Botanico San Lazzaro enjoys dreamy views, especially from its dining terrace. Rooms combine tradition with hand-painted furniture, tiled floors and silk fabrics. Terraced gardens are heady with lemons and orchids, plus there’s a pool.
- Close to the Lion steps, which lead straight down to Positano’s Spiaggia Grande, Villa La Tartana is a handsome townhouse with 12 rooms prettily decorated in cool blues and whites with Vietri floor tiles and painted bedheads. Breakfast on your private balcony, or the main terrace and find plenty of supper choices stepping distance away.
- Two other Positano hotels, only minutes away from the beach, are the 18th-century Palazzo Murat with its elegantly furnished rooms, bougainvillea-draped terraces and sleek infinity pool;
- and Villa Rosa with its charmingly traditional rooms, vast terraces and pretty floral theme.
The Best Value Beach Hotels on the Amalfi Coast
- The Belvedere may look dull from its roadside location but, once inside, you step into a different world. With peerless views over the Amalfi coast, steps leading to a private beach, bedrooms of old-fashioned Italian charm and a dining terrace made for lingering, it’s the perfect spot for a quiet seaside holiday. Family-owned and with a pool, too.
If you haven't found your idea of the best beach hotels in the Amalfi Coast on our Guru's list of 10 of the Best Beach Hotels on the Amalfi Coast, you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Amalfi Coast?
- Or you could consider our Guru's recommendations for 8 of the Most Romantic Hotels on the Amalfi Coast? or 10 of the Best Hotel Views on the Amalfi Coast? or 5 Great Value Hotels on the Amalfi Coast?
- Or you could refine your search to just the best places to stay in Positano? or the best places to stay in Amalfi? or the best places to stay in Praiano?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
10 of the Best Beach Hotels on the Amalfi Coast
Casa Angelina Praiano 30 rooms from £170Hotel boats for hire - Private skippered boat for guests.LuxuryHoneymoonsRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
An immaculate design hotel set on the cliff facing the sea. Contemporary cool with whitewashed walls and funky art and sculptures. White rooms, suites, and separate cottages have private sea-facing balconies. Fantastic spa, restaurant and fun beach club. Perfect for couples and honeymooners. See More
Hotel Santa Caterina Amalfi 66 rooms from £776Beach Life - Guests ride an elevator down to a private beach and enjoy stunning seaviews from the property.Sailing - Book a private motorboat and spend a day exploring the Amalfi Coast by sea.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient towns of The towns of Pompei and Herculaneum.Views - Breathtaking views over the sea.Recommended by - Tablet, Michelin Travel
A luxurious retreat in a stunning location. Beautiful rooms in whites and creams with splashes of colour and private balconies. Fabulous restaurants, private beach (reached by a glass lift through the cliff face) and luscious gardens with citrus groves. A tranquil and romantic spot. See More
The Belvedere Conca dei Marini 30 rooms from £217Views - Spectacular views out to see and down the Amalfi coast.Coastal - Set on a cliff top.Total relaxationSwimming Pool - Seawater Pool
Il San Pietro di Positano Positano 60 rooms from £1033Foodies - There's no less than three restaurants here, one of which holds a Michelin star, this is Italian dining at its bestTennis - Featuring what must be one of the world's most impressive courts, offering that famous view of PositanoBeach Life - Boasting the only private beach in Positano5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, CN Traveller
Hotel Botanico San Lazzaro Maiori 18 rooms from £286Romantic BreakRestaurant - With romantic terrace overlooking the seaRestrictions on children - No children allowed, over 18s only.Views - Lovely views over the Bay of Maiori
Villa La Tartana Positano 9 rooms from £200Local exploring - Right next to the church of Santa Maria Assunta, minutes from the beach and the shorefront bars and restaurants.Sights nearby - Don't miss a trip to the World Heritage Site Pompeii.Sailing - Charter a boat to take you up the Amalfi Coast.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A handsome Positano townhouse with enchanting bedrooms and one apartment. Freshly decorated in whites and blues, pretty ceramic wall lights, painted bedheads and private balconies. Excellent breakfasts on the terrace. A cool sanctuary to start the day in before heading to the beach. See More
Palazzo Murat Positano 31 rooms from £430Local exploring - Located steps from the Piazzetta dei Mulini and the Spiaggia Grande, right in the heart of PositanoFoodies - Sample exquisite dishes from the Amalfi Coast in the elegant restaurantSights nearby - Situated in the centre of Positano, close to all the major attractionsSwimming Pool - Pool with stunning viewsRecommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Rosa, Positano Positano 12 rooms from £260Total relaxation - A serene 150 year old villa, with comfortable and elegant rooms, a peaceful garden, sunny terrace and proximity to the beach.Sights nearby - Spend a day exploring Pompeii, a must see.Sailing - Take a boat trip up the Amalfi coast.Sea Views - From some rooms.
A delightful villa featuring bougainvillea covered terraces, with unbeatable views of the Mediterranean. Large delightfully decorated bedrooms in white and pastels, with aquamarine tiled floors. Enormous private balconies make the perfect place for breakfast. An utterly charming spot. See More