10 of the Best Luxury Hotels on the Amalfi Coast
The Italian coast of Amalfi, with its towering cliffs and slinky corniche road, has long been associated with luxury and glamour. This is due to a heady combination of breath-taking views, sapphire-blue seas, and villages and villas perched in apparently impossible-to-reach places. It all whiffs of excitement and exclusivity and the best luxury hotels on the Amalfi Coast cater to those looking for sheer perfection in all these areas. No wonder the likes of Garbo, Jackie Kennedy and Aristotle Onassis favoured it as a holiday playground. And no wonder hotels developed to meet their needs, with sprawling suites, sea-view terraces and access to private beaches.
Today, you can still find these hotels - updated with spas and infinity pools - plus a range of architecturally interesting buildings, such as convents and palazzi that have been converted into luxury havens. Some are grand and old-school, others are modern and minimalist. And you can more or less pick your spot from tumble-down Positano with its chi-chi shops and secretive little Conca dei Marini to the cliffs above lovely Amalfi town and the higher reaches of Ravello, a village as ravishing as it sounds. Use our guide to the best luxury hotels on the Amalfi coast to find the one that perfectly ticks all your boxes.
10 of the Best Luxury Hotels on the Amalfi Coast
The Best Luxury Hotels In Amalfi
Placing yourself in Amalfi town, with its lovely Duomo and bustling piazza, puts you at the heart of the Amalfi coast.
- Just above the town, the Convento di Amalfi offers uninterrupted views as well as an infinity pool and spa. The former convent has been converted into minimalist, white-on-white rooms with vaulted ceilings and often with private terraces.
- Even more of a hideaway, and set just outside the town, is Hotel Santa Caterina, a grand, 19th-century villa with a private beach, lush gardens and a gourmet restaurant. Rooms are boldly styled, mixing the cool and contemporary with antiques, ceramic-tiled floors and rich drapes.
The Most Luxurious Hotels In Positano
- Le Sirenuse, in the sugar-almond-coloured Positano, is as seductive as it sounds. The rooms of the 18th-century palazzo shimmer with Vietri tiled floors, glowing-white walls and beautiful Italian antiques. Lemon trees line the pool terrace and the Michelin-starred dining-room, flickering with candles, has to be the prettiest on the coast.
The Best Luxury Hotels in Conca dei Marini
- In another clifftop position, above the tiny fishing village of Conca dei Marini, Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa is the stuff of dreams. The former convent has been converted into just 20 bedrooms, classically understated and each with stunning views. With a top-notch spa, terraced gardens and infinity pool, this is a place for romance, relaxation and serious pampering.
The Best Luxury Hotels in Ravello
High above the coast, the ravishing village of Ravello offers several luxury choices.
- From its blush-pink and white façade to its Michelin-starred dining room Palazzo Avino oozes glamour. Rooms are rich with Vietri tiling, tapestries, antiques and Bulgari unguents. Most have private balconies plus there’s a spa and palm-tree-studded gardens.
- If you really want lush gardens, then it has to be Villa Cimbrone, set on a little hilltop of its own just outside Ravello. Romantic and sophisticated, the rooms of this former private villa are grand with vaulted ceilings, frescoes, tiled floors and antiques. There’s also a pool and, of course, heavenly views.
The Best Luxury Hotels in Praiano
- Il Piccolo Sant'Andrea is a stunning cliffside hotel with wonderful views and numerous terraces dotted with potted plants. Interiors are sleek and stylish with whitewashed walls and modern furnishings. Bright rooms offer great views from the balconies or terraces. The spa and restaurant are as superb as you'd expect.
The Best Luxury Hotels on the Amalfi Coast for a Special Occasion
- For old-school glamour and money-no-object luxury, Ravello’s Belmond Hotel Caruso ticks all the right boxes. Rooms combine classic Italian styling - rich fabrics, exposed stonework, antiques - with modern comforts; most have private balconies. And then there is the dining terrace, infinity pool, spa, views, gardens…
The Best Luxury Hotels on the Amalfi Coast with Private Beaches
- The Villa Treville is an opulent estate with rooms and suites overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. Villas are adorned with ornate tiles and marble fittings, and guests have a private beach at their disposal. An Italian paradise with the atmosphere of a 15 room private home.
- Across the bay, and gazing back towards Positano from its cliff-side location, Il San Pietro di Positano offers old-style, grand luxury and faultless service. Not only does it have all the luxurious accoutrements of spa, private yacht, tennis courts, gourmet restaurant, infinity pool and private terraces but also a private lift down to its private beach.
For a holiday that combines five-star service and comforts with five-star scenery and views, a stay at one of our recommendations for 10 of the best luxury hotels on the Amalfi coast is up there with the best. But if you didn't find your idea of the perfect luxury hotel on the Amalfi Coast here you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay on the Amalfi Coast?
- Or you could consider our Guru's recommendations for 8 of the Most Romantic Hotels on the Amalfi Coast? or 10 of the Best Hotel Views on the Amalfi Coast? or 10 of the Best Beach Hotels on the Amalfi Coast?
- Or you could refine your search to just the best places to stay in Positano? or the best places to stay in Amalfi? or the best places to stay in Praiano?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
10 of the Best Luxury Hotels on the Amalfi Coast
Convento di Amalfi Amalfi 36 rooms from £170HoneymoonsRomantic BreakSights nearby - 10 minute walk down hill to Amalfi. Positano is 20 mins by car.Views - Spectacular views of the Amalfi coastline
Hotel Santa Caterina Amalfi 66 rooms from £312Beach Life - Guests ride an elevator down to a private beach and enjoy stunning seaviews from the property.Sailing - Book a private motorboat and spend a day exploring the Amalfi Coast by sea.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient towns of The towns of Pompei and Herculaneum.Views - Breathtaking views over the sea.Recommended by - Tablet, Michelin Travel
A luxurious retreat in a stunning location. Beautiful rooms in whites and creams with splashes of colour and private balconies. Fabulous restaurants, private beach (reached by a glass lift through the cliff face) and luscious gardens with citrus groves. A tranquil and romantic spot. See More
Le Sirenuse Positano 58 rooms from £519Romantic Break - A fabulous and sophisticated break for two, with sumptuous suites, black-sand beaches and sparkling sun terraces.Foodies - La Sponda restaurant holds one Michelin Star and is lit every evening by 400 candles.Swimming Pool - Beautiful Outdoor Pool.OpulentRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Il San Pietro di Positano Positano 60 rooms from £390Foodies - There's no less than three restaurants here, one of which holds a Michelin star, this is Italian dining at its bestTennis - Featuring what must be one of the world's most impressive courts, offering that famous view of PositanoBeach Life - Boasting the only private beach in PositanoRomantic BreakRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, CN Traveller
Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa Conca dei Marini 20 rooms from £325Views - Great views from hotelLuxuryOutstanding locationTotal relaxation
A monastery renovated with romance and elegance. Its celestial views from its perch on a cliff top are to die for. The hotel captures the essence of la dolce vita with its location, understated but immaculate style, and its incredible spa facilities. A romantic destination. See More
Il Piccolo Sant'Andrea 84010 Praiano SA 27 rooms from £451Romantic Break - Amazing cliffside hotel offering truly stunning views of the coast, ideal for a romantic getawaySights nearby - Head into charming Praiano and take in the gorgeous viewsSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Stunning cliffside hotel with wonderful views and numerous terraces dotted with potted plants. Interiors are sleek and stylish with whitewashed walls and modern furnishings. Bright rooms offer great views from the balconies or terraces. Don't miss the spa and superb cuisine. See More
Palazzo Avino Ravello 43 rooms from £370Romantic Break - A perfect getaway for two, enjoy the suave suites with a glorious vantage point over the Med and pampering service.Foodies - Boasting a Michelin-star restaurant overlooking the sea and the more relaxed Terrazza Belvedere.Great walks - Leisurely strolls or more testing mountain trials, all come with stunning views.Sailing - Take a boat up the Amalfi Coast or to the glamourous island of Capri.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Tablet, Fodors
Villa Cimbrone Ravello (Ravello, Salernes (Campania)) 19 rooms from £269Writing a novel - Join the list of illustrious authors who have gained inspiration here- E M Forster, T S Eliot, Virginia Woolf, D H Lawrence...Honeymoons - Perched on a sheer-sided cliff high above the Amalfi coast, with fragrant rose gardens, and romantic poolside dining.Great walks - Wander hand in hand through the stunnig gardens, the best time is early morning before they open to the public.Sailing - Take a boat up the coastline or to glamorous Capri, the perfect way to explore the coast.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
A regal and romantic complex with out of this world views. The villa has beautifully manicured botanical gardens that sprawl towards the cliff face. Bedrooms ooze understated elegance, and there's a fantastic Michelin starred Mediterranean restaurant. Renowned as the ultimate wedding destination. See More
Belmond Hotel Caruso Ravello 50 rooms from £619Great walks - Through the stunning Villa Cimbrone Gardens.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
With former guests including Greta Garbo and Jackie Kennedy you know you are in the lap of luxury. The infinity pool, suspended between sea and sky, is straight from the movies as is the al-fresco, restaurant. Hollywood glamour continues in the bedrooms with chandeliers, mosaic tiles and balconies. See More
Villa TreVille Positano 15 rooms from £898Romantic Break - A beautiful all suites property with stunning interiors and a hideaway location. Pure luxury and romanceBeach Life - Guests can enjoy a private beachHoneymoonsSights nearby - Explore the villages along the stunning Amalfi CoastRecommended by - CN Traveller
Set on a cliff on the Amalfi Coast, Villa TreVille is an opulent estate with rooms and suites overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea. Villas are adorned with ornate tiles and marble fittings, and guests have a private beach at their disposal. An Italian paradise with the atmosphere of a private home. See More