- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best romantic hotels on the Amalfi Coast
With its dramatic cliffs and sparkling-blue seas, hidden coves and hard-to-reach villages, the Amalfi coast provides the perfect backdrop for romance. You can choose from grand palazzi and old-school glamour to modern minimalism and cool chic. Add sea-view terraces, infinity pools, luxury spas and private beaches into the mix and our choice of the best romantic hotels on the Amalfi coast could be the place to pop the question, celebrate an anniversary or have an idyllic honeymoon.
And it’s not just confined to one area. Tiny tucked-away Conca dei Marini guarantees privacy; Positano, with its chic shops and restaurants offers glamour; the cliffs above Amalfi town have gorgeous views; while lovely Ravello with its exquisite gardens and even more ravishing views, makes the perfect romantic stage-set.
Best romantic hotels on the Amalfi coast
- Clinging to the cliffs above the tiny fishing village of Conca dei Marini, Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa guarantees privacy. The former convent has been converted into just 20 bedrooms, classically understated and each with stunning views. With a top-notch spa, terraced gardens and infinity pool, this is a place for romance and relaxation.
- Equally well-hidden, the family-run Hotel Santa Caterina, just outside Amalfi town, is a grand, 19th-century villa tucked into the cliffs and with a private beach. Rooms are boldly styled - some with private pools - mixing the contemporary with Italian antiques and rich drapes. There are also two very pretty, gourmet restaurants.
- The adults-only Hotel Botanico San Lazzaro above Mairori, enjoys dreamy views, especially from its dining terrace. Rooms combine tradition with craft - think hand-painted furniture, tiled floors and silk fabrics. Terraced gardens are heady with lemons and orchids, plus there’s a pool. And it’s only a stroll away from a lovely beach.
- If you want privacy but also to be close to the action, choose pretty Positano where the buildings seem to tumble down to the sea. Le Sirenuse, a former 18th-century palazzo, is as seductive as it sounds, with rooms shimmering with Vietri-tiled floors, glowing-white walls and beautiful Italian antiques. Lemon trees line the pool terrace while the Michelin-starred dining-room, flickering with candles, has to be the prettiest on the coast.
- The bougainvillea-draped terraces of Palazzo Murat, an elegant 18th-century townhouse tucked away in the centre of Positano, are a perfect romantic backdrop to lazy breakfasts and early-evening drinks. Rooms are large, cool and elegant, many with private terraces, plus there’s a lovely sleek infinity pool.
- For spoiling luxury and romance, for many people it has to be the stunningly situated town of Ravello, high above the coast. Villa Cimbrone, set on a hilltop of its own just outside the town, makes both the perfect wedding and also honeymoon venue. Gardens roll away to the cliff edge while the rooms of this former private villa are grand with vaulted ceilings, frescoes, tiled floors and antiques. There’s also a pool and Michelin-starred restaurant.
- For those who prefer their accommodation to be sleek and modern then Casa Angelina is the perfect romantic property. It's a cool designer pad with more stunning views and stylish accommodation which includes gorgeous little converted fishermen's cottages for two, right on the beach.
- If you really want to impress - and have deep pockets - Ravello’s Belmond Hotel Caruso won’t let you down. Oozing old-school glamour, its rooms combine classic Italian styling - rich fabrics, exposed stonework, antiques - with modern comforts; most have private balconies. There’s a beautiful dining terrace with unbelievably romantic views.
Italy is often considered the world’s most romantic country so choosing one of the best romantic hotels on the Amalfi coast has to be a near-perfect romantic gesture. Nothing here that inspires you? Then extend your search to include all our Amalfi Coast recommendations, or check out our picks on nearby Capri.
Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa 20 rooms from £329Conca dei Marini
A monastery renovated with romance and elegance. Its celestial views from its perch on a cliff top are to die for. The hotel captures the essence of la dolce vita with its location, understated but immaculate style, and its incredible spa facilities. A romantic destination.Views - Great views from hotelLuxuryOutstanding locationTotal relaxation
Hotel Santa Caterina 66 rooms from £424Amalfi
A luxurious retreat in a stunning location. Beautiful rooms in whites and creams with splashes of colour and private balconies. Fabulous restaurants, private beach (reached by a glass lift through the cliff face) and luscious gardens with citrus groves. A tranquil and romantic spot.Beach Life - Guests ride an elevator down to a private beach and enjoy stunning seaviews from the property.Sailing - Book a private motorboat and spend a day exploring the Amalfi Coast by sea.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient towns of The towns of Pompei and Herculaneum.Views - Breathtaking views over the sea.Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel Botanico San Lazzaro 18 rooms from £193Maiori
A romantic boutique hotel in a cliff top setting with an infinity pool. Authentically decorated rooms and suites with hand-painted furniture and ceramics, four poster beds, and mezzanine levels. Fabulous orchids; exotic and botanical gardens. Oozing with Amalfi charm.Romantic BreakViews - Lovely views over the Bay of MaioriRestrictions on children - No children allowed, over 18s only.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolRecommended by - Johansens
Le Sirenuse 58 rooms from £525Positano
Sheer romance at this family-run hotel in an 18th-century palazzo. A celestial Amalfian fairytale - heavenly bedrooms with private balconies, Michelin-starred restaurant, and a pool terrace filled with lemon trees. A magical spot for romantics and foodies.Romantic Break - A fabulous and sophisticated break for two, with sumptuous suites, black-sand beaches and sparkling sun terraces.Foodies - La Sponda restaurant holds one Michelin Star and is lit every evening by 400 candles.Swimming Pool - Beautiful Outdoor Pool.OpulentRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection
Palazzo Murat 31 rooms from £158Positano
Fabulous 17th century townhouse in Positano with spectacular views. Bougainvillea strewn terraces, an infinity swimming pool, and dreamy rooms and suites with private terraces overlooking the sea. Very romantic, very centrally placed.Sights nearby - Situated in the centre of Positano, close to all the major attractionsSwimming Pool - Pool with stunning viewsFour poster beds - For romantics.SpaRecommended by - CN Traveller
Villa Cimbrone 19 rooms from £272Ravello (Ravello, Salernes (Campania))
A regal and romantic complex with out of this world views. The villa has beautifully manicured botanical gardens that sprawl towards the cliff face. Bedrooms ooze understated elegance, and there's a fantastic Michelin starred Mediterranean restaurant. Renowned as the ultimate wedding destination.Writing a novel - Join the list of illustrious authors who have gained inspiration here- E M Forster, T S Eliot, Virginia Woolf, D H Lawrence...Honeymoons - Perched on a sheer-sided cliff high above the Amalfi coast, with fragrant rose gardens, and romantic poolside dining.Great walks - Wander hand in hand through the stunnig gardens, the best time is early morning before they open to the public.Sailing - Take a boat up the coastline or to glamorous Capri, the perfect way to explore the coast.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
Casa Angelina 39 rooms from £172Praiano
A very cool designer hotel set in the cliff face. Sleekly minimalist with white washed walls, exposed stone work, and clean lines. Rooms, suites, and separate cottages have private sea-facing balconies. Fantastic spa, restaurant and private beach. Ideal for honeymooners.Hotel boats for hire - Private skippered boat for guests.HoneymoonsLuxuryRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Belmond Hotel Caruso 50 rooms from £625Ravello
With former guests including Greta Garbo and Jackie Kennedy you know you are in the lap of luxury. The infinity pool, suspended between sea and sky, is straight from the movies as is the al-fresco, restaurant. Hollywood glamour continues in the bedrooms with chandeliers, mosaic tiles and balconies.Great walks - Through the stunning Villa Cimbrone Gardens.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.