20 Best Hotels in Rural Tuscany
If you’re yearning for peace, sunshine and great food and wine in a beautiful, rural setting then Tuscany’s countryside of vibrant orange soil, grey-green olives groves and cool cypress forests will probably top your list of favourite destinations. Historic and colourful, there are all sorts of magical places to stay in the Tuscan countryside, from converted castles, to mellow old family-fun villas, to luxurious spa retreats, seaside resorts, or agriturismo farmhouses and working wine estates. The challenge for our Gurus is only in finding your own idea of the best hotels in the Tuscan countryside. Which is why our recommendations for the 20 best hotels in rural Tuscany has been broken up into categories highlighting just some of the priorities we have when we’re searching for the best hotels in Tuscany. Whichever one of our pick of the best hotels in rural Tuscany recommendations you favour you’ll find yourself immersed in idyllic countryside, yet never far from great art, wholesome country food or excellent local wine.
For La Dolce Vita
- Vedetta Relais is a glorious little find that oozes country house chic. Its eight suites are all quirky and individually designed, plus there are a further eight lodges dotted amid olive groves for those who prefer back to nature glamping! Lovely gardens and pool, plus sublime Tuscan views, and you're only 10 minutes from the beach! Sheer bliss...
- Borgo San Felice is an entire country hamlet, surrounded by panoramic views of the Tuscan countryside. The 33 rooms/ suites and apartments are in a collection of beautiful stone houses, arranged around a pool, winery, chapel, bar and a restaurant with a beautiful terrace. This is the perfect place from which to taste wine, take strolls, go ballooning or horse riding, eat well and explore the surrounding beauty.
- Villa Le Barone is a gorgeous villa with spectacular views over the Chianti countryside. There are 28 rather traditional and romantic rooms and suites, with oak floors, some lovely antiques and soft colours, plus a heated pool, and a winery offering wine tastings and a restaurant offering cooking classes.
- Le Fontanelle offers five stars worth of views, over olive groves, lemon trees and vineyards, plus five stars worth of decor when it comes to the 25 rooms, suites and apartments arranged within the stone buildings of a charming hamlet. They also offer five star food in the elegant restaurant, and a five star pool and spa.
Lose yourself in the Tuscan Countryside
- La Bandita is located in the stunning countryside of the Val d'Orcia, with not much more than a couple of sheep farms for neighbours. Come here for stunning views, and chic contemporary accommodation. The property works as a B&B/rental hybrid, so is perfect for either a romantic hideaway or a family gathering.
- Fontelunga Hotel & Villas is a pretty, typically Tuscan villa sat in beautiful countryside and with stunning views, about half an hour from Cortona. The nine rooms are individually designed all with a clever mix of antique and contemporary styles. In addition there are two separate villas (ideal for families or small groups of friends) set away from the property, both luxuriously equipped. You'll also find a tennis court and pool so plenty to do if you don't want to move!
- Monteverdi offers the very best of Tuscany in its seven rooms and three suites. The very best local gastronomic cuisine, a sparkling infinity pool overlooking an incredible view of the Tuscan hills, and really charming decor — we’re talking huge stand-alone bathtubs, four-poster beds and log fires.
For a room with a view
- Podere Dionara is an achingly beautiful hilltop villa turned six room country house B&B. The villa is surround by farmland, and there are wonderful vistas in every direction, from the rustic chic bedrooms with their four poster beds, from the sunny terraces, the breakfast room and the swimming pool.
- The Hotelito Lupaia is another beautifully converted villa in the Montepulciano region, and certainly one of the best hotels in Tuscany’ wine country. This eight room villa is charmingly eccentric, and luxurious with it, with pastel colours, exposed beams, stone floors, sunny terraces and a pool-with-a-view. The restaurant is good too.
- The Castello del Nero is less a villa more a 12th century castle, still decorated with frescoes and mosaics, but now converted into a hotel with 32 rooms and 18 suites. The views from its hilltop position are incredible, and there are acres of grounds to explore, plus a spa, a bar and a fabulous gourmet restaurant.
- For all out luxury accompanied by top notch facilities (spoiling spa, two restaurants — one Michelin starred, cookery school, swimming pool...) it's hard to look past Borgo Santo Pietro. This stunning historic country estate turned five star hideaway is situated amid 200 acres in the heart of Tuscany between Siena and Follonica and once you've settled in, you won't want to leave!
- The Castello di Vicarello is one of the best luxury hotels in the Tuscan countryside, a seven room castle hotel with panoramic views over its own working vineyards. The decor is Italianate opulence: traditional and romantic, and there’s a top of the range spa and pool and a restaurant serving local sourced regional cuisine.
- The Castello Banfi il Borgo is another castle and wine estate, this time built in the 13th-century, and now offering nine elegant, boutique-style rooms with arched ceilings, four-poster beds and stunning view. Plus an enoteca or wine shop, a spa and a gourmet restaurant. As well ad being luxurious the enoteca probably goes towards making this one of the best hotels in Tuscany’s wine regions.
- Yet another castle, the Castello di Casole is larger, with 41 rooms and suites, and set on its own 4,200 acres of Tuscan countryside. The castle has many original murals, Murano glass chandeliers and flagstone floors which tell a romantic story. The views are sublime, there’s a gorgeous pool and the restaurant is excellent. Pack your silk, linen and cashmere for Bellinis on the terrace as the sun sets.
- The Agriturismo Poggiacolle is a saffron farm with four individual self-catering apartments within the old farmhouse. The decor is rustic and very Tuscan - as well as the farm the property also has its own vineyards. And there are tennis courts, an infinity pool and spectacular views, which all help to make it one of the best hotels in Tuscany for families.
- If your family deserves to stay in a castle then Tuscany can accommodate you too, at the Castello di Tornano, an 11 room property perched on a hillside. The oak floors, four-poster beds and magnificent views make it seem more exclusive than the £115 or so they’re asking per night.
For Great Value
- Le Sodole is a charming country property situated between Florence and Pisa. It comprises twelve individually designed apartments which sleep from 2 to 6, plus there's a lovely pool, practice golf range and restaurant on site.
- The Hotel della Fortezza is a converted 11th century fortress with views across the terracotta roofs and rolling green of the Tuscan landscape. The hotel has 16 comfortable rooms with traditional tiled floors, wood beams and natural colour schemes. Plenty of character and just the ‘right’ amount of wear and tear.
- The Il Rigo is a simple country house with 13 minimalist rooms on a working farm, complete with cypress trees and vine covered terraces. The food is outstanding and regional and they offer bike hire.
- Tuscany is a great place to learn more about Italian cooking, and if that’s part of your travel plans then Tenuta san Pietro might be ideal for you. This ten room hotel has fabulous food and cookery classes, as well as sweeping views of the property’s olive farm and surrounding vineyard.
- The hotel Il Falconiere occupies a stunning, 17th century manor house, and has 22 spacious rooms and suites. But the hotel really comes into its own in its Michelin starred restaurant where you can also take cooking classes or wine tastings. The pool and spa are completely charming too.
- The Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort is another treat for anyone who appreciates the pleasure of great food against a great view. This country house estate is certainly one of the best hotels in the Tuscan hills and has a range of rooms, suites, family suites, and apartments, all decorated with antiques and killim rugs, with glorious views over cypresses and olive groves. They offer cooking classes too.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best hotels in Rural Tuscany on our list then
- expand your search to include the best hotels in Tuscan Towns,
- search within the Tuscan region you’re most interested in, by using the search box,
- consult our Guru’s Ultimate Guide to the Best Places to Stay in Tuscany,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Borgo Santo Pietro Siena, Tuscany 22 rooms from £868Country EscapeRomantic BreakLuxuryHoneymoonsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Relais & Chateaux
Rural Tuscan opulence in a fabulous country house. Regal rooms and enormous suites come in neutral hues with chandeliers, marble fireplaces, frescoes, silk upholstery and standalone bathtubs. This is romantic luxury with all the toys - swimming, tennis, wellness and farm to table dining. See More
Le Sodole Pontedera, Tuscany 12 rooms from £106Local exploring - Le Sodole is well located for Tuscany's cultural highlights and the beach.Great walks - There are a good range of walking trails right on the doorstepSpa - Wellness centre offering massage and reflexology treatmentsRestaurant - Le Sodole Restaurant serves traditional Tuscan cuisine
Charming country property situated between Pisa and Florence. Twelve individually designed apartments tastefully mix period features and classic style, yet with a modern feel. They sleep from 2 to 6 and all boast fully equipped kitchens. On site restaurant, outdoor pool and practice golf range too! See More
Be Vedetta Relais & Glamping Tuscany 16 rooms from £151Country Escape - Pool with views, large gardens, trekking, cycling, hot springs at Saturnia and excellent foodBack to Nature - The estate is inside the Parco Archeominerario delle Colline Metallifere, a UNESCO heritage site.Hideaway - Book one of the lodges in the olive grove for a very private hideaway.Sights nearby - Scarlino, Gulf of Follonica, Punta Ala, Piombino and Island of Elba
Relais Borgo San Felice Castelnuovo Berardenga SI, Tuscany 33 rooms from £486Good wine list - Excellent choice from the hotel's own vintages.Wine tasting - The hotel is surrounded by its own vineyards.Foodies - Fantastic Mediterranean cuisine.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel, Tablet
A stunning country house surrounded by its own vines and parkland. A hilltop position with fantastic valley views. Sumptuous elegant rooms and suites with lots of space and big bath tubs. Fantastic Mediterranean restaurant, billiards, tennis, wine tasting, swimming pool, and views for miles. Wow! See More
Il Chiostro di Pienza Pienza (Tuscany) 37 rooms from £111Romantic Break - Candlelight meals on the rooftop, lazy days by the pool and magnificant suites, some featuring original ceiling frescoes.Local exploring - Right in the centre of this ancient and orginal example of Rennaissance townplanning, explore and soak up the history.Sights nearby - In the historic central square of Pienza, only 100m from the famed Pienza CathedralGreat walks - The Tuscan hillsides and vineyards make for some spectacular walking.
Former monastery in the heart of Pienza offers elegance and style, with delightful bedrooms in natural tones with tiled floors and arched ceilings. The cloister terrace restaurant serves delicious food and there are beautiful gardens and a pool that overlook the undulating valley. A romantic spot. See More
Hotel della Fortezza Sorano (Tuscany) 16 rooms from £51Historic - Located inside the 11th Century Fortezza Orsini di Sorano fortress, an impressive display of mediaeval military architecture.Local exploring - This area boasts some of the most beautiful landscapes for miles; get out and explore the Etruscan hills and valleysGreat walks - Explore this hisotric town, owing most of its present beauty to Giuliano da Sangallo, Lorenzo de’ Medici’s own architect.Sights nearby - A must see is the Romanesque church of Santa Maria Maggiore, which houses one of the most ancient pre-Romanesque ciborias.
Dreams of staying in a castle come true with this 11th Century fortress, with views of terracotta rooftops and Tuscan landscape. Comfortable rooms with tiled floors, wooden beams and natural tones. Full to the rafters with character. Ideal location for exploring this truly magical part of Italy. See More
La Bandita Pienza, Tuscany 8 rooms from £217Families - Feels like a welcoming private villa with rural charms, baby equipment and endless outdoor space for children to roam around.Country Escape - Watch the sunset over the stunning Val d'Orcia and feast on delicious Tusacan dishes and wine from the owners cellar.Sights nearby - Visit the UNESCO Heritage site Pienza, boasting an enchanting collection of 15th and 16th century buildings and gardens.Great walks - The beautiful Tuscan landscape of Val d'Orcia makes for wonderful walks.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
A lovingly and tastefully restored Tuscan farmhouse for laid back holidays and exclusive use. Simple yet beautiful rooms with white walls, limestone floors and beamed ceilings. Private gourmet chef, access to the wine cellar and fantastic swimming pool. Contemporary country hideaway. See More
Villa Fontelunga Pozzo della Chiana Arezzo, Tuscany 12 rooms from £152Sights nearby - Plenty of Tuscan hilltop towns and villages in the surrounding areaRestaurant - Breakfast included, lunch and dinner by arrangement.Views - Panoramic views across the countryside to CortonaTennis - Tennis court on site - bring your racquetRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Pretty Tuscan villa hotel with stunning views. Sun-soaked gardens and terraces, nine contemporary designed rooms and suites and three private luxury villas. Swimming pool, hot tub, tennis court and mountain bikes to borrow. Great for couples or for groups to rent exclusively. See More
Il Rigo San Quirico d'Orcia (Podere Casabianca) 13 rooms from £95Local exploring - Thermal baths in Bagno Vignoni (4km); walkable sights of Vileta Chapel and Pienza; San Quirico with 16th century gardensFoodies - Home grown organic produce from the farm, annual olive oil festival, nearby is home of Brunello di Montalcino wineCooking classes - Within hotel kitchen, 1 or 4 day coursesSights nearby - Val d'Orcia's small hilltop villagesRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely country house in the Tuscan hills. Rooms are minimalist with rustic touches of embroidery and antiques. Complete with working farm, cyprus trees and vine covered terraces. Outstanding Tuscan cuisine, bicycles available, secluded setting. A great choice for couples or families. See More
Castello di Tornano Gaiole in Chianti Siena, Tuscany 11 rooms from £134WeddingsGroupsFamiliesRestaurant - Serving traditional Chianti cuisine and featuring vegetables grown in their own gardenRecommended by - I Escape
Castello di Vicarello Tuscany 7 rooms from £772Views - Stunning valley views of the vineyards beyond.Romantic - Rural romance and glorious countryside.Romantic BreakSpa breaksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
A highly luxurious boutique hotel perched on a hilltop with panoramic views over its own vineyards. Romantic rooms and suites have traditional decoration and Italianate opulence. A top of the range spa, fabulous regional cuisine fresh from the garden, and a pool. Glorious, rural, romantic. See More
COMO Castello del Nero Tavarnelle Val di Pesa (FI), Tuscany 50 rooms from £589Spa breaks - COMO's Shambala Spa offers a fantastic range of treatments and wellness therapies. You can be spoiled for days!Foodies - With three dining options to choose from, including Michelin-starred La Torre, this is a foodies paradiseCountry Escape - A regal estate, set in stunning grounds, ideal for pure escapismSights nearby - Visit the beautiful Santa Maria del Fiore duomo, the church of San Lorenzo and the Boboli Gardens in Florence (30 mins away)Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A 12th-century property set within acres of rolling Tuscan grounds. Find everything you could wish for in a converted Italian castle - frescoed walls, marble bathrooms, tiled floors and beamed ceilings. Boasting both a Michelin star restaurant and a restorative spa. Utter bliss. See More
Castello di Casole Casole d'Elsa, Tuscany 41 rooms from £347Suites - The Limonaia suites, in the coverted lemon barn, have their own gardens, sitting rooms and split level layoutSpa - The luxurious Essere spa in the vaulted converted wine cellars offers pools, steam rooms and treatment roomsRestaurant - Ristorante Tosca serves typical finely tuned Tuscan dishes and there's also the less formal Pazzia PizzeriaViews - Stunning panoramic views over the surrounding countrysideRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith, CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
Elegant and traditional Tuscan mansion set in 4,200 acres of bucolic rolling countryside. Original Tuscan frescos, Murano chandeliers and flagstones floors. Beautiful suites with views, gorgeous pool, superb cuisine. Pack your linen, silk and cashmere for Bellinis on the terrace while the sun sets See More
Podere Dionora Montepulciano, Tuscany 6 rooms from £243GroupsWeddingsSights nearby - Just outside MontepulcianoCooking classes - Check for timings.Recommended by - I Escape
Agriturismo Poggiacolle San Gimignano 4 rooms from £82Groups - Some apartments sleep up to 10 people.FamiliesGreat walks - Plenty of walking on the doorstepSights nearby - Just 2km from San Gimignano
A gorgeous Tuscan farmhouse B&B with its own vineyards and saffron farm. Four separate self-catering apartments occupy the farmhouse. Rustic-romantic rooms, infinity pool, tennis courts, and spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. Ideal for families and groups of friends. See More
Il Falconiere Cortona (Tuscany) 22 rooms from £378Foodies - Enjoy one of the 'Cooking under the Tuscan Sun' gourmet cooking courses.Sights nearby - Take a picnic to Lake Trasimeno and spend a summers day in the water.Cooking classes - On site cookery school, led by Chef and owner Silvia Baracchi.Restaurant - Restaurant holds one Michelin Star.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Romantic setting for food lovers. Dine at a Micehlin-starred restaurant in a stunning 17th Century Tuscan manor. Beautiful, spacious rooms are a perfect blend of homely meets luxury. Relax by the pool or at the spa. Dining is top class plus you can take part in cooking classes and wine tasting. See More
Castello Banfi il Borgo Tuscany 14 rooms from £364Foodies - Fantastic traditional Tuscan dishes and an Enoteca stocking wine from the 7000 acre wine estate.Good wine list - The castle has its own vineyard which produces award-winning wines.Romantic - Utterly romantic in location, decoration, and ambience.Views - Panoramic views of the hotel's vineyards around.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
An award-winning Tuscan boutique hotel with serious joie de vivre. A stunning 13th-century castle and wine estate with traditional romantic interiors, gourmet Tuscan cuisine, an enoteca, and heated pool. Luxurious rooms and suites have arched ceilings, four poster beds, and stunning views. See More
Hotelito Lupaia Torrita di Siena, Tuscany 8 rooms from £291Romantic Break - A place of seclusion and relaxation, ideal for a romantic couple's escapeCountry Escape - Set in an outrageously beautiful spot in the Tuscan hillsGreat walks - Take long walks through the scenic countryside starting straight from the hotel's front doorSights nearby - A great base for visiting Florence, Siena, Pienza and CortonaRecommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller
A charming and luxurious converted farmhouse enjoying a secluded spot (with spectacular views) in the picturesque Tuscan hills. Enchanting rooms are the perfect blend of rustic chic. The pool lends fabulous views and the restaurant serves up delicious local delicacies. The perfect romantic escape. See More
Villa Il Poggiale San Casciano in Val di Pesa (Tuscany) 24 rooms from £133Great walks - Spend some time walking through the enchanting Tuscan countryside, explore the surrounding meadows, hills and vineyards.Cooking classes - Cooking classes can be arranged from the on-site chefs, learn to whip up your favourite dishes from the menu.Swimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool fringed with hydrangea and jasmine.Spa - Tailor made treatments, plus sauna and relaxation areaRecommended by - Fodors, Sawdays
Tenuta San Pietro Lucca 10 rooms from £134FoodiesSights nearby - Not far from Lucca. The hotel provides a free shuttle service to and from the townCooking classes - One day classes or cooking holidays availableRestaurant - Serving regional and Mediterranean cuisineRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Villa Bordoni Greve in Chianti (Tuscany) 11 rooms from £195Romantic Break - A stunning Tuscan break oozing romance and intimacy with gourmet cuisine and beautiful gardensGreat walks - Exploring the vineyards on foot is a romantic sunset scene.Cooking classes - Non residential and residential cooking courses.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool with country landscapeRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Beautifully decorated country house with glorious views. A pretty pale blue facade and bedrooms that ooze traditional elegance - strong earthy colours, wooden beams, canopied beds and huge bath tubs. Excellent restaurant and cookery school. A popular choice with honeymooners and romantics. See More
Villa Campestri Olive Oil Resort Vicchio di Mugello, Tuscany 14 rooms from £164Groups - Group bookings are popular, a great place to spend time with friends.Families - Rooms can fit 5 with an extra bed on the ground floor of the villa.Restaurant - Tuscan cuisine with a focus on olive oilGreat walks - Wide selection of walks on the doorstepRecommended by - Sawdays
Castello di Potentino Seggiano, Tuscany 11 rooms from £156Total relaxation - The perfect retreat to refresh and recharge, yoga in the mornings, cooking in the afternoon and wine in the evenings.Great walks - Wander around working organic farm, filled with vineyards and olive groves.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby medieval towns of Pitigliano, Sorano and SienaSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool set amid olive trees above the castle
Winning charm in a classic Tuscan castle setting. Friendly owners create a wonderfully relaxing atmosphere like visiting an old friend. Eight rooms and four apartments are filled with period furnishings, paintings and vintage bath tubs. Come here for haunting beauty and rustic charm. See More
Monteverdi Castiglioncello del Trinoro, Tuscany 7 rooms from £607Romantic BreakCooking classes - Learn how to make Tuscan treatsRestaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith